The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Active Threads
0 Government and financial services rip-off
Last Post: Bored now
Posted On: 4 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 271
0 86-90 regulator-rectifier on 2003 engine?
Last Post: lehel
Posted On: 8 Minutes Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 277
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 23 Minutes Ago
Replies: 46,828
Views: 7,457,547
0 simple HF jack-lift for sporty mod.
Last Post: stick shift
Posted On: 27 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 147
0 Keep & Kill
Posted On: 43 Minutes Ago
Replies: 16,259
Views: 924,668
0 Spark Plugs
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 54 Minutes Ago
Replies: 83
Views: 52,048
0 ....1
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 5,161
Views: 309,096
0 Solenoid issue?
Replies: 17
Views: 765
0 Xlch spark plugs
Last Post: Imaginearat
Replies: 0
Views: 21
0 Corona Virus
Last Post: Ireeman
Replies: 340
Views: 17,104
0 Drastic Failure how to diagnose
Last Post: Bluto
Replies: 54
Views: 4,477
0 Uh oh!!! Brass flakes/dust (a lot of it too) in my oil
Last Post: NGOT8R
Replies: 151
Views: 8,522
0 Speedometer hookup - 76 XLH
Last Post: Iron Mike
Replies: 21
Views: 8,881
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 17,864
Views: 1,801,683
0 Mid West Meet & Greet
Replies: 380
Views: 30,345
0 Resto-Repair 84 ironhead
Replies: 17
Views: 831
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: rokytnji
Replies: 4,598
Views: 589,992
0 Are There Still Sober Riders On The Forum?
Last Post: Steve9
Replies: 166
Views: 46,109
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Replies: 4,023
Views: 541,662
0 Is it true? (eliminate clutch spring plate)
Last Post: Bluto
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 59
Views: 26,050
0 Diagnostic code ?
Replies: 30
Views: 784
0 My blow through turbo XL1200C
Last Post: hondo
Replies: 8
Views: 439
0 68 XLCH - Insight Plz
Last Post: GA_Ironhead
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 44
Views: 1,173
0 Talk to me about Painting
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 409
0 Sportster cv carb tuning after upgrades.
Last Post: John Harper
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 315
6 SPORTY BOBBER PICTURES
Last Post: jazzman
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 6,036
Views: 5,488,807
0 Bigger rear Pulley
Last Post: Bored now
Replies: 50
Views: 3,105
0 Help with jacking up my sportster
Last Post: Folkie
Replies: 25
Views: 2,746
0 1986-90 Evo Sportsters: What every owner should know but were afraid to ask
Last Post: keithnh
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 387
Views: 53,679
0 Transformer XR1200
Last Post: Davo_137
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 268
Views: 29,159
More...
Members Birthdays
fredstoys, voodoo (51), dstivalet (46), Barnett127 (44), illetrop (41), RideoutKSC (37), xlctobe (35)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th May 2019
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 73
farmall has a reputation beyond reputefarmall has a reputation beyond reputefarmall has a reputation beyond reputefarmall has a reputation beyond reputefarmall has a reputation beyond reputefarmall has a reputation beyond reputefarmall has a reputation beyond reputefarmall has a reputation beyond reputefarmall has a reputation beyond reputefarmall has a reputation beyond reputefarmall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brixtonanima View Post
-Holy Shit, I cross-posted this on HDForums and it got closed, those guys got maaaaaad that I said "old white guys". I won't be visiting that forum again
That is exactly who that forum is for. I just don't say that there. Real bikers wrench their own rides and prefer to avoid dealers AND indy shops if they can manage it. This forum is the best Sportster resource on the internet so you came to the right place.

I'm a multibrand mechanic who's bought and sold bikes for many years. I buy and sell private party. Dealers have their place in the food chain but I don't need them. I did buy one new FXR in '88 because that was the only way to get one in my area, but I wouldn't today because the used market is flooded with deals. This will continue as boomers (I am one) get too old to ride and dump their toys.

The money you'll save buying a private party Sportster makes it totally worth doing. You could spend the difference on upgrades instead of giving it away to the dealer.
Old 18th February 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: 5 bikes and 1 quad
wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

There are a bunch of dealers around here. Pomona, Riverside, San Bernardino, Fullerton, Pasadena, Hesperia, Lancaster, Long Beach, just to name the ones that I am most familiar with. Never have I had an issue with any of them. Oh, and the one where I bought my favorite (05 Roadster). That was Hutchins Harley way out in the desert 27 miles from the main freeway through an Indian Reservation. Great folks and I had looked for an 05 Roadster for 3 months prior to finding mine. I had just driven the 27 miles with one stop at a little country store to make sure I wasn't just heading out into a dead end in the desert. Nice old Indian lady laughed and told me to just keep driving. My Roadster was the first thing I saw as I walked through the door. They gave me the best price I had seen in months and the prices I had been seeing were on other models that I didn't want.

Now that's not to say that I haven't run into someone that is clueless now and then. Heck, that happens every time I walk into a Home Depot. But it's easy enough to tell them you don't need help yet, or ask for someone who can actually answer the questions you have.

Whitworth Fork Brace: http://xlforum.net/forums/m...outme&simple=1
Old 18th February 2020
Chief Know It All

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

i live in missouri so we get very cold winters i always buy my cycles in december
the dealers have normally laid off their inexperienced sales people and they are ready to deal they want to cut inventory and sales want bounus and christmas money wait till march and no deals
Old 18th February 2020
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: Street XG500
Other Motorcycle Year: 2015
RDHenley has a reputation beyond reputeRDHenley has a reputation beyond reputeRDHenley has a reputation beyond reputeRDHenley has a reputation beyond reputeRDHenley has a reputation beyond reputeRDHenley has a reputation beyond reputeRDHenley has a reputation beyond reputeRDHenley has a reputation beyond reputeRDHenley has a reputation beyond reputeRDHenley has a reputation beyond reputeRDHenley has a reputation beyond repute

I think a lot of the dealer experience depends on the people, and that includes the management.

When we bought the XG500 for my daughter the sales lady was extremely knowledgeable about the bike, and before it was done she became a friend and even helped smooth things out when we had a warranty issues a year later. In getting to know her I found out her passion was Road Kings, but her attitude was, "If it's on the floor, I need to know everything about it, so I spend a lot of nights at home doing my homework."
Old 19th February 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200CX Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 19
Other Motorcycle Model: 2017 Triumph Trophy SE
Traxx has a brilliant futureTraxx has a brilliant futureTraxx has a brilliant futureTraxx has a brilliant futureTraxx has a brilliant futureTraxx has a brilliant futureTraxx has a brilliant futureTraxx has a brilliant futureTraxx has a brilliant futureTraxx has a brilliant futureTraxx has a brilliant future

WOW, looks like you had your mind made up before you even walked in the door. How would you have handled that situation if you're getting the next new gaming station? Would you talk to a salesperson that had no knowledge or would you have asked for one that could answer your questions? That experience is just as much on you as it was on the dealership.
Old 19th February 2020
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883r
Other Motorcycle Model: Excelsior Henderson
Other Motorcycle Year: 1999
brixtonanima has a brilliant futurebrixtonanima has a brilliant futurebrixtonanima has a brilliant futurebrixtonanima has a brilliant futurebrixtonanima has a brilliant futurebrixtonanima has a brilliant futurebrixtonanima has a brilliant futurebrixtonanima has a brilliant futurebrixtonanima has a brilliant futurebrixtonanima has a brilliant futurebrixtonanima has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx View Post
WOW, looks like you had your mind made up before you even walked in the door. How would you have handled that situation if you're getting the next new gaming station? Would you talk to a salesperson that had no knowledge or would you have asked for one that could answer your questions? That experience is just as much on you as it was on the dealership.
I respectfully disagree with this. If I'm looking at bikes and a salesperson approaches me and starts the whole sales schpiel, it's on them. Plus, they should have a decent enough knowledge of the bikes on the floor to answer the questions. I mean, really how many changes are there to remember for the sportsters? When someone asks about buying new vs used, you should have a pretty decent answer.

Separately, i took this as more of a reflection of how a dealer like this would cope with selling the new generation of bikes that Harley is going to launch. I created this post about 9 months ago and Harley has continued to underperform since then from a sales perspective
Old 20th February 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200CX Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 19
Other Motorcycle Model: 2017 Triumph Trophy SE
Traxx has a brilliant futureTraxx has a brilliant futureTraxx has a brilliant futureTraxx has a brilliant futureTraxx has a brilliant futureTraxx has a brilliant futureTraxx has a brilliant futureTraxx has a brilliant futureTraxx has a brilliant futureTraxx has a brilliant futureTraxx has a brilliant future

Okay, good luck with that.
Old 22nd February 2020
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: C for Chrome
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Eric Von Zipper has a brilliant futureEric Von Zipper has a brilliant futureEric Von Zipper has a brilliant futureEric Von Zipper has a brilliant futureEric Von Zipper has a brilliant futureEric Von Zipper has a brilliant futureEric Von Zipper has a brilliant futureEric Von Zipper has a brilliant futureEric Von Zipper has a brilliant futureEric Von Zipper has a brilliant futureEric Von Zipper has a brilliant future

In our hood we call them Stealers.

I go there every other year for HD plugs.
If I need parts I do the net.