The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®
 

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Active Threads
0 My 2002 Cafe Build
Last Post: 1904Sportster
Posted On: 5 Minutes Ago
Replies: 21
Views: 1,172
0 Tire Size
Last Post: Scott
Posted On: 14 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 1
0 Cheers from Germany
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 21 Minutes Ago
Replies: 19
Views: 309
0 Spokes and dual disc
Last Post: TonyGall
Posted On: 23 Minutes Ago
Replies: 23
Views: 681
0 What jets do you use?
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 35 Minutes Ago
Replies: 244
Views: 75,315
0 New XL1200L from Oakland
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 44 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 46
0 77 kicker engagement issues
Last Post: NHPS
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 166
0 A Day in the Life...
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 596
Views: 58,288
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 1,738
Views: 189,079
0 Mag wheel corrosion
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 54
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 42,171
Views: 6,533,548
0 Help identifying this Seat
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 517
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Ironhead)
Last Post: 83xls
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 36
Views: 203,516
0 What Sort Of Sporty Have You Got?
Last Post: Jezebelle
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 1,061
Views: 280,024
0 Range With Carby 4.5 Gal Tank
Last Post: VaFish
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 100
Views: 39,610
0 Spokes or Mags
Last Post: Eric Von Zipper
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 328
Views: 59,049
0 Ultima ignition
Last Post: Randy_rots
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 63
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: hammer6315
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 9,391
Views: 1,468,392
0 Oil Pump Upgrade '86-'90
Last Post: iNSaNeSHaNe
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 42
Views: 1,365
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: BWP 5p
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 7,587
Views: 1,427,873
5 How'd You Pick Your Username?
Last Post: Jezebelle
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 709
Views: 128,593
0 "The Blues" thread!
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 851
Views: 67,966
4 What will 10 cents buy?
Last Post: Knuckles
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 71
Views: 20,480
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 788
Views: 48,558
0 ***DK Custom Products is Now offering the Black Headlight Grille***
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 30
Views: 7,400
0 ***DK Custom Products - No More Mess Oil Changes + Cooler Running Motor***
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 2,521
0 ****DK Custom Is Now Offering Jagg Oil Coolers****
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 3,657
0 1962 High Pipe Muffler
Last Post: murph1068
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 931
0 Front MC advise
Last Post: slcharger
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 207
0 ....1
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,715
Views: 235,081
More...
Members Birthdays
bobman, eagle101 (71), nemosengineer@yahoo.com (62), Callao (62), Dweezil (54), Dnew73, JimmyHBS (43), Ulv666 (42), 883ccXL (37), jmr1283 (35), dtschrum (31)
Sponsored Links
Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 3 Days Ago
sportsterpaul's Avatar
sportsterpaul sportsterpaul is offline
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: In a swamp/Michigan
Posts: 12,843
Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
Reputation: 7683403
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute
Default

FYI, not knowing the manufacturer of your needle but observing it shows the clip down from the top with the addition of two washers underneath it. This lifts the needle in relationship to its position in the throttle bore, makes a very early transition down to the taper on the needle and probably dumps in excessive fuel which may give you some of the symptoms you have been experiencing. If your bike is close to stock, maybe a low restriction air cleaner and a bit more open exhaust, the simple cure for the lean factory condition(EPA related), was using a needle from an 88-89 Sporty with the idle mixture screw turned out between 1 1/2- 2 1/2 turns. This fattened up the bottom giving a bit stronger pull at low throttle, the taper end of the needle gave plenty of fuel for mid and high throttle operation. That earlier needle has been discontinued from H.D. But CVP offers a similar replacement. I thought it was a N65c but may be wrong, won’t be the first time. Hope this helps.
__________________
I.B.A.#26543, Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing!

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/starthttp://xlforum.net/forums/images/editor/quote.gif
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 3 Days Ago
sportsterdoc's Avatar
sportsterdoc sportsterdoc is offline
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Mojave Desert
Posts: 13,019
Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Reputation: 4777439
sportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterpaul View Post
...CVP offers a similar replacement. I thought it was a N65c but may be wrong, won’t be the first time. Hope this helps.
It is the N65C (27094-88)
https://cv-performance.com/cvp-n65-needle
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 3 Days Ago
sportsterdoc's Avatar
sportsterdoc sportsterdoc is offline
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Mojave Desert
Posts: 13,019
Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Reputation: 4777439
sportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaul6 View Post
I found the problem, I think... a dynojet kit was installed, the vacuum slide was drilled to 1/8"...
15 or so years ago many recommended drilling the slide vacuum port to 1/8".
As much good info is on Nightrider.com, they still promote the 1/8" hole.

CV Performance cautions against drilling over 7/64"
https://cv-performance.com/harley-cv...-tuning-issues

The original thought was to induce quicker slide response, but that can create problems.

I do not know as much about carbs as some others on this forum (I mostly target electrical questions), but I would not molest a stock slide, nor modify the slide spring.

I have preferred to run a bit richer than many, in the interest of reducing engine temperature, particularly for desert operation and pulling long grades, especially at sustained WOT.

My direct experience is on California Sportsters, which are VERY lean from the factory. I have long suspected that there may be differences in the Keihin CV40 in addition to basic jetting, so my experience may not transfer outside of California.

My general starting point was a 45 pilot, mixture 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 turns out from gentle seat and the N65C (or =) needle. Although I increased the main jet on both my 2003 XLH883 and 2002 1200 Sport, that only made a difference for sustained WOT runs up long grades and probably not needed by most riders.

BTW the mixture range (2 1/2 to 2 3/4 turns out from gentle seat) has worked for me an many carbs on many vehicles other than H-D.

The "new vacuum slide, spring from CV Performance, emulsion tube, 170 main, and n65 needle" should do well.
I did not look on Sportsterpedia for the stock main jet on your bike, but if it runs hot in the summer at higher speeds you may want to go 0.05 to 0.1 mm larger on the main.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 3 Days Ago
John Harper John Harper is offline
Master Custom Bike Builder
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,108
Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1991
Reputation: 1568114
John Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterdoc View Post
Got to leave in a few minutes to take eldest granddaughter for archery practice, but will check back.
Show this to your grandaughter, women archers ROCK!!! This is my friend Debbie with her monster elk, taken in Northern Arizona in October with a bow!



That might inspire her archery practice.

John
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 3 Days Ago
lespaul6 lespaul6 is offline
Biker
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 94
Sportster/Buell Model: 2000 XL 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2002 XL 1200C
lespaul6 has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterpaul View Post
FYI, not knowing the manufacturer of your needle but observing it shows the clip down from the top with the addition of two washers underneath it. This lifts the needle in relationship to its position in the throttle bore, makes a very early transition down to the taper on the needle and probably dumps in excessive fuel which may give you some of the symptoms you have been experiencing. If your bike is close to stock, maybe a low restriction air cleaner and a bit more open exhaust, the simple cure for the lean factory condition(EPA related), was using a needle from an 88-89 Sporty with the idle mixture screw turned out between 1 1/2- 2 1/2 turns. This fattened up the bottom giving a bit stronger pull at low throttle, the taper end of the needle gave plenty of fuel for mid and high throttle operation. That earlier needle has been discontinued from H.D. But CVP offers a similar replacement. I thought it was a N65c but may be wrong, won’t be the first time. Hope this helps.
Yes.. this makes total sense.. I bought the needle you're referring to.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 3 Days Ago
lespaul6 lespaul6 is offline
Biker
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 94
Sportster/Buell Model: 2000 XL 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2002 XL 1200C
lespaul6 has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterdoc View Post
15 or so years ago many recommended drilling the slide vacuum port to 1/8".
As much good info is on Nightrider.com, they still promote the 1/8" hole.

CV Performance cautions against drilling over 7/64"
https://cv-performance.com/harley-cv...-tuning-issues

The original thought was to induce quicker slide response, but that can create problems.

I do not know as much about carbs as some others on this forum (I mostly target electrical questions), but I would not molest a stock slide, nor modify the slide spring.

I have preferred to run a bit richer than many, in the interest of reducing engine temperature, particularly for desert operation and pulling long grades, especially at sustained WOT.

My direct experience is on California Sportsters, which are VERY lean from the factory. I have long suspected that there may be differences in the Keihin CV40 in addition to basic jetting, so my experience may not transfer outside of California.

My general starting point was a 45 pilot, mixture 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 turns out from gentle seat and the N65C (or =) needle. Although I increased the main jet on both my 2003 XLH883 and 2002 1200 Sport, that only made a difference for sustained WOT runs up long grades and probably not needed by most riders.

BTW the mixture range (2 1/2 to 2 3/4 turns out from gentle seat) has worked for me an many carbs on many vehicles other than H-D.

The "new vacuum slide, spring from CV Performance, emulsion tube, 170 main, and n65 needle" should do well.
I did not look on Sportsterpedia for the stock main jet on your bike, but if it runs hot in the summer at higher speeds you may want to go 0.05 to 0.1 mm larger on the main.
Thanks again for the assist.. I will report back with findings!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 3 Days Ago
lespaul6 lespaul6 is offline
Biker
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 94
Sportster/Buell Model: 2000 XL 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2002 XL 1200C
lespaul6 has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Harper View Post
Show this to your grandaughter, women archers ROCK!!! This is my friend Debbie with her monster elk, taken in Northern Arizona in October with a bow!



That might inspire her archery practice.

John
Agreed... some great women snipers out there
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 3 Days Ago
lespaul6 lespaul6 is offline
Biker
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 94
Sportster/Buell Model: 2000 XL 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2002 XL 1200C
lespaul6 has disabled reputation
Default

Regarding the float setting, does anyone have a diy trick for measuring the 15 degree angle? some type of clever device or trick when you do not have a proper calculation device?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #19  
Old 3 Days Ago
sportsterdoc's Avatar
sportsterdoc sportsterdoc is offline
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Mojave Desert
Posts: 13,019
Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Reputation: 4777439
sportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Float setting
https://cv-performance.com/harley_float_setting
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 3 Days Ago
sportsterdoc's Avatar
sportsterdoc sportsterdoc is offline
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Mojave Desert
Posts: 13,019
Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Reputation: 4777439
sportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Harper View Post
Show this to your granddaughter, women archers ROCK!!! This is my friend Debbie with her monster elk, taken in Northern Arizona in October with a bow! That might inspire her archery practice.
Not if she had to field dress it!

Was that near Flagstaff?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Sponsored Links
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
XL Forum® - Linson Media LLC