The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Sport-Glide / Sportster Motorcycle Touring
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sport-Glide / Sportster Motorcycle Touring This section is for the discussion of setting up you Sportster motorcycle touring and long distance riding.

Active Threads
0 need help with 68 XLH
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 2 Minutes Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 514
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 7 Minutes Ago
Replies: 24,634
Views: 1,452,279
0 Oil pressure switch
Last Post: Edster
Posted On: 10 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 36
0 Stroker pistons
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 15 Minutes Ago
Replies: 83
Views: 4,441
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: Fivecats
Posted On: 53 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4,734
Views: 912,535
0 What oil temp do you run
Last Post: shanneba
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 129
Views: 31,187
0 Q cams in 73 xlh ??
Last Post: RicThompson
Replies: 44
Views: 1,859
0 HSR idle mixture screw
Last Post: sml1226
Replies: 4
Views: 92
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 12,526
Views: 2,910,811
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 32,116
Views: 3,730,797
0 Iree's late night cafe
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,131
Views: 355,679
0 Range With EFI 3.3 Gal Tank
Last Post: Mike1nw
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 97
Views: 73,014
0 Gear and brake linkage
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 58
0 Video - Routing Hoses For Oil Filter Relocation Kit
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 38
0 Automotive Motor Oil In Sportster
Last Post: Steve9
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 24
Views: 587
0 1974 sportster vin issues! what the heck did I buy?
Last Post: The Doctor71
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 80
Views: 5,001
0 Snippets
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 496
Views: 68,035
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 3,654
Views: 415,309
0 oil to front rocker, no oil to rear?
Last Post: Hardtail28
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Views: 55
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 51,996
Views: 8,750,096
0 Front deflection
Last Post: bustert
Replies: 2
Views: 139
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: cal43
Replies: 8,906
Views: 2,073,361
0 video & pics
Last Post: cal43
Replies: 426
Views: 43,591
0 Off Road Lights
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 123
0 The One Who Likes Pineapple
Last Post: Fifty150
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Views: 71
0 78 Ironhead switchgear parts
Last Post: Hopper
Posted On: 19 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 169
0 Sportster S on the dyno
Last Post: crfblur
Posted On: 19 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 319
0 KT - 2021 - You're In It Now
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 20 Hours Ago
Replies: 67
Views: 12,494
0 First start question
Last Post: Fivecats
Posted On: 22 Hours Ago
Replies: 55
Views: 1,528
0 Hammer 1275 clang noise, slow oil feed, kinked crankcase vent.
Last Post: Turbo Sporty 48
Posted On: 23 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,405
Views: 93,503
More...
Members Birthdays

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th May 2016
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 CX
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1978
Other Motorcycle Model: XL 1200 R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
Crusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravydog View Post
What are your plans for the suspension? I put rk air shocks and progressive fork springs on my Roadster and I'm pretty happy with them. Hope everything goes well with the welder.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
I'm thinking about getting Traxxion Dynamics cartridges and springs for the front, and I haven't decided which shocks for the rear, yet, but I'll listen to what they recommend. After trading E-mails with Traxxion, I figure that improving the front suspension should come first.

I put nearly 200,000 miles on assorted Buells, and the really good suspension spoiled me. My Roadster may never handle quite like one of Erik's finest, but it can be made to handle a lot better than it does.
Old 5th May 2016
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Crusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond repute

Morning Song

I like mornings. When I’m not on the road, my routine is to get up, shower and enjoy a cup or three of coffee while surfing the net and (sometimes) banging out a Snippet.

There are lots of things happening on the forums I check out, this morning. One thing that I’m sensing is that some people would make the changes to the Roadster differently. So I guess I’ll try to explain my logic.

I could just cobble up the mounts for the saddlebags. As solidly as I’ve got the mounts attached, they would work and probably be trouble free for the entire Great Circle ride. But they wouldn’t be Right. Not only do I want my bike to work well, I want it to look right as well. My bike is an expression of what I feel a motorcycle should be, I don’t want to do a half assed job.

The suspension improvements I’m planning will be pretty expensive, but I really want the bike to handle well. Traction Dynamics was building the suspensions for the EBR (Erik Buell Racing) Superbikes. They come highly recommended by Mike, who I respect and is a pretty fast rider down in Georgia. I sent an e-mail down and got a response that outlined my choices and gave recommendations. I’ll ride down and have them do the changes once I get enough money set aside. It won’t happen soon, but it will happen.

Well, it’s time to go out and run some errands. I have to send off my Passport for renewal, take my new gloves to the cobbler to get the fingers shortened to fit my hand, and I have to find a welder who wants my business.
Old 6th May 2016
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Just One Of Those Days

It’s been just one of those days. You know, the days when I seem to have the magic touch. Everything I touch turns to sh*t.

I left the house with specific goals in mind, and a definite plan to get everything accomplished. First I went to CVS to get a 2” by 2” picture taken for my passport renewal. Then I went to my Credit Union to get a check that had my full name and date of birth on it. I told the manager to make it payable to the US Treasury. While I was there, I discovered that I’d left my glasses at CVS. So I put the check in the saddlebag and went back. I couldn’t find my glasses. Then the lady said, “Hey; what’s that on your jacket?” It turned out that my glasses case had somehow gotten hooked to the waist belt on the back of the jacket. By then, I was running later than I had planned, so I went to the Loonie Noonie in Fitchburg. While on my way to the meeting, I started getting another Migraine. The meeting was especially out where the busses don’t run. There was an overabundance of fruits, nuts and flakes, and they were all being especially fruity, nutty and flakey. Then, I hit the post office. The clerk noticed the check and noticed that it was made out to the Treasury. He told me that if it wasn’t made out to the Department of State, the Passport office wouldn’t accept it. So, I didn’t mail the application.

I went by Keosha Bros. Shoe Repair to have them shorten the fingers on my new gloves (I have wide hands with short fingers). However, when I got there, there was a note on the door that said “Will Return at 12:45”, and nobody was visible inside.It was almost 2:00. So I went to the cheap gas station and filled the bike. I went back by the cobbler’s, but the sign was still on the door, so I headed back to Hudson.

I had checked the weather before setting out this morning. The radar showed no rain anywhere and the forecast was for it to be just overcast; so I decided to wear my new boots. On the way back to Hudson, it rained on me. My new boots are now baptized. I had hoped that it would be a while before they started getting mistreated, but it just fit in with the rest of the day.

I went back to the Credit Union and got them to make out another check, this time to the Dept. of State, then went to the Post Office. My current passport, renewal form with the 2” x 2” photo of me vertically stapled in the proper location and check for a lot more than I expected are all on their way to Philadelphia to be expedited via a Flat Rate Priority Mail envelope.

I talked with Johnny Donut about welding my saddlebag mounts. He says he can do it, so I’m going to bring the bike by his shop (he’s a mechanic). The welder I’ve been talking to doesn’t want the job. He keeps putting me off and won’t return phone calls, even when I called him at the time he specified.

Oh; my bike has developed an oil leak. I can’t see where the oil is coming from, but it left a silver dollar sized puddle on the floor of the garage.

Well, two positive things got accomplished today. My passport got mailed to be renewed and Johnny Donut says he’ll do the welding. The rest of the day flat sucked and I still have a splitting headache.

I hope tomorrow is better.
Old 6th May 2016
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883/1200 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 11 RK
ChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond repute

Damn Dude!

Old 9th May 2016
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Good Times, Bad Times…

The sun is out. The rain finally quit yesterday afternoon and I saw blue sky for the first time in a couple of weeks. So I jumped on the bike and rode over to Leominster and cleaned the bike at the quarter car wash. It’s got a bit of an oil leak, and with the rain, I couldn’t locate just where it’s leaking from. I’m hoping that I’ll discover it, now that the bike is clean. While I was cleaning, I noticed that my highway peg bar is loose, so I’ll have to get out there this morning and tighten it. I also noticed that my ignition switch needs tightening. Suddenly, things seem to be loosening; what’s up with that?

There’s a little farm I ride past in Lancaster that has a pond. Every spring, there are geese that fly in and nest by that pond. Yesterday, I saw a bunch of little greyish yellow gooselets intermingled with the proud parents. On many of the jobs I held over the years, I would take that same road to and from work each day, and watch the process of baby geese becoming adults. I still really enjoy seeing that each spring.

I saw Johnny Donut yesterday morning. When I first talked to him about the welding, he said probably this weekend. Yesterday, he said he was busy with a car job, and probably on Thursday. I was talking to Jackie (a mutual friend) and she said that if I’m waiting for him, I should be prepared for a long wait. That put a damper on my spirits.

Now, I’m starting to worry a bit. I’m having some bad luck trying to find a welder. I have a few ideas, but I’ll have to wait until tomorrow to implement them. Today, I have to go have another Cystoscopy. I won’t be up for doing a whole lot afterwards.

I went back by Keosa Bros. in Fitchburg on Friday to get the fingers shortened on my gloves. The cobbler said that he could’t do what I wanted. So I said OK and went back to the place in Waltham where I had the last two pairs done. That guy told me the same thing. When I told him that I’d had two other pairs done there, he said that it must have been one of the sub contractors he uses. He took the gloves and a $20.00 deposit and told me to call him this Saturday.

Suddenly, it seems like every little project is turning into a Major Deal. The welding isn’t that big a job, and neither is shortening the gloves. I swear I’m going to find a welding course in the fall; this is getting ridiculous.

Oh well; I guess I’ll go out and see if I can tighten a couple of bolts before I go have a camera pushed up my urethra.
Old 9th May 2016
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Superlow 1200T
SonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond repute

Camera, urethra, OUCH!
Old 10th May 2016
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

I’m Positive About The Negative

Yesterday, I had my bi-annual Cystoscopy. I was diagnosed with Bladder Cancer a few years ago, and underwent treatment to get rid of it. The treatments worked, but I have to have a Cystoscopy every six months to be sure it isn’t returning. It used to be every three months, but after a year, the frequency was stretched out.

It’s an uncomfortable procedure, and I don’t think I’ll ever look forward to having it done, but it’s necessary.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, There’s no sign of cancer.

I’m still a bit sore today, so I don’t think I’ll get much accomplished, but I’m pretty buoyed by the Negative results.

Just thought I’d share some good news.
Old 10th May 2016
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Superlow 1200T
SonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!
Old 11th May 2016
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Should I Be Negative About The Positive?

Screwy day. It’s felt like nothing was going my way for the past couple of weeks. Getting the welding done has seemed like an impossible task. Add getting the gloves altered, and it seemed that I was hitting my head against a brick wall. The constant rain and below average temperatures just added to the feeling of gloom. Things were looking pretty bleak.

However, yesterday, I went over to the storage garage and put the front cast wheel and new tire on the bike. I was going to keep a low profile, as I was still kind of sore from the cystoscopy, but I was too restless to sit at home on such a beautiful day. That, along with the sunny weather and warm temperatures helped to improve my attitude a large amount.

This morning, I went over to the shop. But I really wasn’t in a socializing mood, so I left early. I was on my way home and worrying about where I was going to get the welding done, and I decided to go back by the welding & fabrication shop that I’d originally gone to. I figured that it would be tougher to give me a run around in person.

I figured right. I talked with both the shop owner and the welder that I’d originally talked to and they agreed to do the job. I’ll be getting the brackets modified next week. They’re swamped with work, but they did tell me they would do the job. Both ride motorcycles. The owner has a 2003 Sportster as well as an ’87 Softtail. Both are in mint condition. he was showing them off to me. He also was impressed with my bike and by the fact that I’d put 40,000 miles on it in a year. I stressed that I was heading out on a long ride in a week and a half, and they both promised the job would be done next week. I can live with that. I feel relieved that it’s all going to come together, but the little voice in my head is cautioning me to not get too positive. I shouldn’t hatchet my Counts before they chicken out; or somethin’.

Maybe I should be cautiously optimistic.

Tomorrow, I’m going to go put the cast rear wheel and new drive belt on. I hope that goes smoothly. Hopefully, everything will all come together without any more Drama, I’ll be on the road shortly and all this will just be a memory of difficulties that were overcome.
Old 13th May 2016
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

A Little Bit Further

Yesterday, I changed out the drive belt and the rear wheel. The Roadster is getting closer to my idea of a touring Sportster. Hopefully, my gloves will be ready this Saturday. Next week, the bag mounts will be modified so the bags will fit and look better. Then, all I have to do is try to find the source of the oil leak. I hate oil leaks. Oil belongs inside an engine; not outside. I suspect that it’s one of the oil lines coming from the oil tank, but I don’t know for sure. I guess I’ll get some Gunk and clean all the oil from everywhere I see it, then spray it with Tinactin powder and wait for the leak to reveal itself.

I spent a pleasant hour looking at Google Maps last night, planning routes to take. If this year goes anything like last year, I’ll change my mind and take a different route on a whim. Still, it’s fun. I have to return to Monument Valley (that’s one of the routes I was plotting), and I want to see the south rim of the Grand Canyon.

This summer is going to be just as wild and adventurous as last summer was. Ya-Hoo! Here’s how it looks at present:
I’m going to ride out to Springfield, Illinois and see the Mile. From there, I’m heading up to East Troy, Wisconsin for the Buell Homecoming. From there, I want to head for Iowa and visit with Matt and Lorraine. From Cedar Rapids, I’ll head for Montrose, Colorado and visit with Susan. From Montrose, I’m going to the San Francisco area to visit my brother Tony. Along the way, I’ll hit Monument Valley and the Grand Canyon. After I leave San Francisco, I’m heading north into Canada where I’ll find my way to Banff and Jasper National Parks. From there, I’ll drop down into Montana and Glacier National Park. I want to ride the Going-To-The-Sun Road in it’s entirety. Last year, the road was only open to the top of Logan Pass. After that, I don’t know right now, but I’m sure I’ll think of something. I’m pretty sure that I’ll stop in Cincinnati and see my brother David, though.

In August, there’s the West Virginia Buell Rally, which should be a great time. Last year’s rally was. A week after that there’s a Half Mile in Central New York (north of Syracuse) that I'm looking forward to.

It’s shaping up to be another great summer! I’m getting psyched!