The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle - Bottom End
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle - Bottom End Cams, Cases, Gears, Flywheel, Piston Conecting Rods, Oil Pump, etc...

Active Threads
0 Gear and brake linkage
Last Post: Andy56
Posted On: 20 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 2
0 Automotive Motor Oil In Sportster
Last Post: John Harper
Posted On: 34 Minutes Ago
Replies: 23
Views: 521
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: Bluto
Posted On: 51 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4,733
Views: 912,381
0 What oil temp do you run
Last Post: cal43
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 128
Views: 31,167
0 1974 sportster vin issues! what the heck did I buy?
Last Post: The Doctor71
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 80
Views: 4,949
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 32,110
Views: 3,729,919
0 Snippets
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 496
Views: 67,913
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 3,654
Views: 414,734
0 oil to front rocker, no oil to rear?
Last Post: Hardtail28
Replies: 0
Views: 35
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 24,627
Views: 1,451,947
0 Stroker pistons
Last Post: mrmom9r
Replies: 79
Views: 4,349
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 51,996
Views: 8,749,717
0 Front deflection
Last Post: bustert
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 127
0 This is gonna hurt.
Replies: 8,906
Views: 2,073,089
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Replies: 12,522
Views: 2,910,250
0 video & pics
Replies: 426
Views: 43,268
0 Off Road Lights
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 114
0 The One Who Likes Pineapple
Last Post: Fifty150
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 64
0 78 Ironhead switchgear parts
Last Post: Hopper
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 163
0 Sportster S on the dyno
Last Post: crfblur
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 304
0 HSR idle mixture screw
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 54
0 KT - 2021 - You're In It Now
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 67
Views: 12,420
0 First start question
Last Post: Fivecats
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 55
Views: 1,485
0 Hammer 1275 clang noise, slow oil feed, kinked crankcase vent.
Last Post: Turbo Sporty 48
Posted On: 17 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,405
Views: 93,454
0 Should I buy a Sportster??
Last Post: riceburner
Posted On: 18 Hours Ago
Replies: 528
Views: 214,211
0 Not funny... I Crashed it....
Replies: 28
Views: 2,362
0 Q cams in 73 xlh ??
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Replies: 36
Views: 1,744
0 what are acceptable oils for primary ?
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 19 Hours Ago
Replies: 24
Views: 2,298
0 What song do you have stuck in your head?
Last Post: iNSaNeSHaNe
Posted On: 20 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,413
Views: 257,315
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: Fivecats
Posted On: 20 Hours Ago
Replies: 5,366
Views: 877,298
More...
Members Birthdays
black pearl (77), SDREDD (60), pig (58), BonRu (56), wandawells42 (52), cbass (48), HawkeyeTX, SxysCowboy (38)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th July 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Xl1250S
Sportster/Buell Year: 98
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Other Motorcycle Year: 95
Hippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60Gunner View Post
Idk. You tell me. Every time I pulled a cover to fix a leak, I found something like that. Obvious damage that explained the leak. I assumed it was too much crankcase pressure. That got me looking into the breathers and found they weren't sealing out air for shit. And here we are.
I see that you've had several problems with gaskets but I was wondering if installation or a bad run of gaskets had been ruled out as I hadn't remembered you finalizing that.
So I assume you're thinking CC pressure split that gasket like that?
If so, that was a pretty violent environment your engine was in.

I have read other accounts of weeping gaskets etc. due to CC pressure but I haven't seen the actual carnage.

In Search of Fuel, Sunshine and a Steady Idle.

Reference the XLFORUM'S Sportsterpedia
for additional technical information & advice
Old 30th July 2019
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200/1250C
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute

I paid very close attention to installation. Especially after the first time. Making sure it didn't get twisted or pinched. Ensuring the alignment of the covers, etc. It wouldn't leak initially, but within a few hundred miles it would leak and leak pretty good. The damage was always at or very near the openings in the inside lip that forms the channel in the rocker boxes that the gasket sits in. A place of less resistance for the pressure to get directly to the gasket. Combined with the excess heat caused by the pistons working harder because of the excess pressure also weakens the rubber. When I pulled one warm, barely cooled enough to touch the covers, the gaskets were noticeably flimsy. This made them more susceptible to the damage.
That's my theory anyway. I think it's a fairly sound one.

From what I could tell, the stock umbrella might as well not have even been there. I blew pretty hard into one and air just continued out the other other until I quit blowing. That's failure at its finest. Why? I can only assume it's because they are cheap and flimsy compared to the one in the krankvent.
I just glad I figured out they were bad before putting too many miles on my build and I never went on any longer rides.
I'm sure I'll clean out the mess inside caused by this in a short time.
So like I've said from the beginning, run the stock ones if you think they're up to the task. I'm just glad I found a better replacement for my motor. One that can be easily inspected for failure and cleaned if necessary. And one I think does a better job than even a brand new stock one.
We replace stock parts with better aftermarket alternatives all the time. I'm not sure why the thought that these might not be the best for the job is so foreign to some.

Last edited by 60Gunner; 30th July 2019 at 16:28..
Old 30th July 2019
Air-Cooled Forever

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: (Prev.Own)XLH Milw.Spec.
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1981
Toejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering, Did you look at the surfaces, where the gasket goes, and see if there may be any sharp edges or nicks that could "cut" the gasket?
Old 30th July 2019

60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toejam503 View Post
I was wondering, Did you look at the surfaces, where the gasket goes, and see if there may be any sharp edges or nicks that could "cut" the gasket?
Yes I did. I even lightly sanded with 1000 grit before the last install that failed. Altho it's hard to do that channel on the lowers, I didn't see anything that would cause this. Also remember they didnt leak before. All the surfaces were thoroughly cleaned as well.
Alex at Hammer is having a similar issue with rocker cover leaks. He's done a thorough lapping after discovering some warpage. He's still weeping oil.

Last edited by 60Gunner; 30th July 2019 at 16:50..
Old 30th July 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
harley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hippysmack View Post
That looks nice and tidy.
I have a question about the bend in the line before the filter.
What, if at all, have you noticed in the line at that bend?

I'm thinking oil / condensation could settle there even if it doesn't run up to the filter.
I guess better put, ever pulled the filter to inspect the line near the bend?

I like the 'Y' down low instead of the horseshoe up with only one side running down for the same reason.

Hippysmack,
Sorry, i forgot to follow up a little on this.
I had another check to see what was in the pipe and there was the tiniest amount of oil in the pipe. Just a tiny drop came out. No sign of any moisture this time. Washed the filter out, but it was still as clean as new really.
Stock motor/breather bolts/air filter/exhaust.
There was a pic of a gunge'd up breather bolt on here somewhere, just wondering if this would still happen with a fully syn' oil? Or does this happen with mineral oils only?
Another pic showing the plug cap boots etc.

Old 30th July 2019

Mine were dry too when I sucking a shit ton of air back in. Have you checked to verify the umbrellas are even functioning? I can literally feel mine pulse now. Pulses out but not back in.

I'm going to check the better ring seal thing with a compression test later after I ride. If it's noticeably better, even 5lbs. higher, that's a good indication of better ring seal.
Old 30th July 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Hippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley506d View Post
I had another check to see what was in the pipe and there was the tiniest amount of oil in the pipe. Just a tiny drop came out. No sign of any moisture this time. Washed the filter out, but it was still as clean as new really.
Stock motor/breather bolts/air filter/exhaust.
There was a pic of a gunge'd up breather bolt on here somewhere, just wondering if this would still happen with a fully syn' oil? Or does this happen with mineral oils only?

That's a good close-up.
Thanks for that.
The connector to the boots special or can I get it anywhere?

That's good to hear with the line being of minimal film at best.
I'd think the true PAOs would be less likely to emulsify in the line due to their resistance to emulsifying.

But true PAOs are hard to come by.
Most 'synthetics' are really just finer quality dino oil.
So it may vary to a degree but the base oil is the same between them.
Used oil will break down to different degrees and may even show more of there similarities when worn than when new.
So, I wouldn't really think that would change the emulsion much in form.
Testing may show otherwise though.
Old 30th July 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
I'm going to check the better ring seal thing with a compression test later after I ride. If it's noticeably better, even 5lbs. higher, that's a good indication of better ring seal.
I'd like to know that also.
Old 30th July 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Speed View Post
Morning Hippysmack, don't feel rejected,
OK,
That made me giggle.......... a lot.

I'm going over the links you posted.
Thanks for those.
I'll make some notes on them.
Old 30th July 2019
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
Four Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond repute

You did invite it with this comment :
Quote:
Four Speed, you bring up some good questions but seem to back off conversation with me.

Quote:
He's still weeping oil.
If the components are warped beyond what the gasket can accommodate then you will probably see a proper leak i.e. dripping oil.
If it caused by excess crankcase compression on an otherwise intact gasket then you are more likely to see oil 'misting' around several gaskets.

Quote:
That should be interesting. BTW 60Gunner did you see the link to the Hayden patent?

Regarding the oil/water emulsion: it is probably due to short trips and water not evaporating out of the engine. However, if my contention is correct
that more recent engines recirculate more of the hydrocarbons then that may concomitantly reduce the ability to remove water vapour.