The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Active Threads
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: Bluto
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 4,733
Views: 912,381
0 Automotive Motor Oil In Sportster
Last Post: Steve9
Posted On: 21 Minutes Ago
Replies: 22
Views: 521
0 What oil temp do you run
Last Post: cal43
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 128
Views: 31,167
0 1974 sportster vin issues! what the heck did I buy?
Last Post: The Doctor71
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 80
Views: 4,949
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 32,110
Views: 3,729,919
0 Snippets
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 496
Views: 67,913
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 3,654
Views: 414,734
0 oil to front rocker, no oil to rear?
Last Post: Hardtail28
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 35
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 24,627
Views: 1,451,947
0 Stroker pistons
Last Post: mrmom9r
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 79
Views: 4,349
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 51,996
Views: 8,749,717
0 Front deflection
Last Post: bustert
Replies: 2
Views: 127
0 This is gonna hurt.
Replies: 8,906
Views: 2,073,089
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Replies: 12,522
Views: 2,910,250
0 video & pics
Replies: 426
Views: 43,268
0 Off Road Lights
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 114
0 The One Who Likes Pineapple
Last Post: Fifty150
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 64
0 78 Ironhead switchgear parts
Last Post: Hopper
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 163
0 Sportster S on the dyno
Last Post: crfblur
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 304
0 HSR idle mixture screw
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 54
0 KT - 2021 - You're In It Now
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 67
Views: 12,420
0 First start question
Last Post: Fivecats
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 55
Views: 1,485
0 Hammer 1275 clang noise, slow oil feed, kinked crankcase vent.
Last Post: Turbo Sporty 48
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,405
Views: 93,454
0 Should I buy a Sportster??
Last Post: riceburner
Posted On: 17 Hours Ago
Replies: 528
Views: 214,211
0 Not funny... I Crashed it....
Replies: 28
Views: 2,362
0 Q cams in 73 xlh ??
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Replies: 36
Views: 1,744
0 what are acceptable oils for primary ?
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 19 Hours Ago
Replies: 24
Views: 2,298
0 What song do you have stuck in your head?
Last Post: iNSaNeSHaNe
Replies: 2,413
Views: 257,315
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: Fivecats
Replies: 5,366
Views: 877,298
0 Do Loud Pipes in fact save lives?
Last Post: Steve9
Replies: 2,605
Views: 313,942
More...
Members Birthdays
black pearl (77), SDREDD (60), pig (58), BonRu (56), wandawells42 (52), cbass (48), HawkeyeTX, SxysCowboy (38)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st August 2021
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Jfart has much to be proud ofJfart has much to be proud ofJfart has much to be proud ofJfart has much to be proud ofJfart has much to be proud ofJfart has much to be proud ofJfart has much to be proud ofJfart has much to be proud ofJfart has much to be proud ofJfart has much to be proud ofJfart has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippysmack View Post
What is your idle speed? Sounds a little low to me.
Other than that, I didn't hear anything that bugged me.
Slow loping is for BTs but can ruin a Sportster if run too long too low.
If you mean 1-2 hash marks on the ign module in the cone, each mark is 5 degrees.
So that'd be 5-10 degrees retarded.
It’s got a dyna2000i ignition module. I just marked it myself. I believe the led light turns off at 30*. Then I regard to 28* (counterclockwise). It was .001 - .002 retarded more than I wanted 28 when I checked it today. Such a small amount but made a huge difference.

My idle speed should be at 900rpms. I just got a temporary rpm tach late last week. I’ll recheck it. In the video with the idle it had just started. Idle def speeds up after being warmed up. I should’nt inset the idle after the engine is warmed up?

I realized tonight the the ignition module or coil say nothing about what spark plug wire should go to what cylinder with single fire. I have my left spark plug wire from coil going to the front plug as a stock coil would have. I would think this makes a difference but maybe I’m missing something. Anyone know about this?
Old 31st August 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Xl1250S
Sportster/Buell Year: 98
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Other Motorcycle Year: 95
Hippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond repute

Do you use the enrichener on startup?
Usually it's fast idle on startup with enrichener and down to 1050-1100 on hot idle.
900 is too low.
You lug that engine and you'll have to start a rebuild thread.

In Search of Fuel, Sunshine and a Steady Idle.

Reference the XLFORUM'S Sportsterpedia
for additional technical information & advice
Old 31st August 2021
Biker

Jfart has much to be proud ofJfart has much to be proud ofJfart has much to be proud ofJfart has much to be proud ofJfart has much to be proud ofJfart has much to be proud ofJfart has much to be proud ofJfart has much to be proud ofJfart has much to be proud ofJfart has much to be proud ofJfart has much to be proud of

Quote:
Usually it's fast idle on startup with enrichener and down to 1050-1100 on hot idle.
900 is too low.
I use the enriched for guessing 5-10 seconds. I’ll check it tonight. I was thinking the book said 800-1000 RPM’s. I just put it in the middle.

Just to name sure get the bike good and warmed up then tune to 1000 - 1050 RPMS? I use one of the old style tachs that wraps around the front spark plug cord 5-6 times. I’ve got a single fire coil. if I set it on 1P1R then times the number on the tach by two it would give me my accurate rpm?
Old 31st August 2021
Biker

Quote:
900 is too low.
I had already pushed the enriches in.

The lugging hou mention were you talking about the RPM’s or my driving?

I’m normally have the opposite problem. No matter where I’m going the rpm’s Up. I was just concerned about the valve sound the day before. I was hesitant to even start it or check a few things first. I figure it had already been risen beyond that point most likely. I just was trying to keep low RPM’s just in case. Shifted into 2nd at 20mph and 3rd at 30mph. I normally go into 2nd at 25 maybe a higher. Don’t really look but I bet 3rd is more like 35-40mph.
Old 31st August 2021
Biker

Next question

I’m going to need a winter project and I didn’t intend to add heads this summer but ended up adding them late. That’s why I have the N4 cams.

To be honest I didn’t think heads would be that much of a game changer but those stock hemi 1200 heads were choking everthing I had on done too the bike. Could notice big difference just putsing down my rough alleyway to the stop sign. I’m convinced heads mean everything on these evo’s.

I’m definitely interested in turning it up maybe after this coming summer. I’d like to get some canes that I could install this winter that take advantage of the heads. If possible I’d like to reuse them the following year in a build with a 1275 reverse dome pistons, HSR45 carb, manifold, and a better suspension. I just have burly’s slammed on the rear now.

Is there a cam that would take advantage of my heads now more than the N4’s and would still be optimum for a future build that’ll break 100.

Also can these screaming eagle cnc ported heads be worked over enough or am I better off getting better heads for those cylinders and pistons?

I wouldn’t mind getting another rigid frame to turn into a flat dirt track bike. I could always put my flat tops on it if I did convert this bike again.
Old 31st August 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Hippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond repute

I think you need to revisit tuning on that carb.
See the "idle drop method" on the CV tuning page in the Sportsterpedia.
http://www.sportsterpedia.com/doku.p...alk:evo:carb02
I was actually talking about idle lugging.
Yours doesn't sound too low but I just noticed it didn't sound "hungry".
I guess that's how I see it.
The motor can sound feeble with too low idle, in need of a push being a little low, or HUNGRY with a good idle.
I figured you were taking it easy for the camera on that ride.
I was hoping so anyway.
I'd let the motor tell you when to shift. A Sportster WANTS RPM.
I'm running SE Pro II heads with N-4s on 1250 and you bet, she's hungry all the time.
Mods are a never ending drug, just be careful to not get more power than you'll ever come close to using.
I always want more than I can use but more power comes with more $ and headaches.
So find a good balance.
Heads are a very important part but if you have tons of power and your gearing isn't matched for it, you'll never get the most of your power.
The guys at Hammer Perf already know the combos for a never ending smile.
So when you get ready, give them a call and they can get you into what you want.
Old 31st August 2021
Biker

Quote:
I think you need to revisit tuning on that carb.
See the "idle drop method" on the CV tuning page in the Sportsterpedia.
http://www.sportsterpedia.com/doku.p...alk:evo:carb02
I was actually talking about idle lugging.
Yours doesn't sound too low but I just noticed it didn't sound "hungry".
I guess that's how I see it.
The motor can sound feeble with too low idle, in need of a push being a little low, or HUNGRY with a good idle.
I figured you were taking it easy for the camera on that ride.
I was hoping so anyway.
I'd let the motor tell you when to shift. A Sportster WANTS RPM.
I'm running SE Pro II heads with N-4s on 1250 and you bet, she's hungry all the time.
Mods are a never ending drug, just be careful to not get more power than you'll ever come close to using.
I always want more than I can use but more power comes with more $ and headaches.
So find a good balance.
Heads are a very important part but if you have tons of power and your gearing isn't matched for it, you'll never get the most of your power.
The guys at Hammer Perf already know the combos for a never ending smile.
So when you get ready, give them a call and they can get you into what you want.
It’s like you’ve read my mind with adjusting my carb more. The idle down is what I’ve used. It may have been you but someone explained part of the the idle drop method to me on this thread in more detail. On walking the IMS and the ISS down together.

I walked the two down together slowly and it would just get to a point where it would stall. So I tuned as low as it would go before the stall. This is probably causing it to run rich at idle. I’m hoping now that my ignition module seems to be running much better it will let me drop the idle speed farther without stalling during the drop down..

When you say thirsty. You mean thirsty for fuel?
Old 31st August 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Engine has to be at operating temp or you are wasting your time.
Run the idle down to where it almost stalls (stays running though).
Adjust the mixture screw down to where the engine falters (stop there).
Now go back the other direction (but count the number turns of turns with the screwdriver as you go).
Continue until the engine perks up then falters again (stop).
Divide the number of turns from 1st to second falter in half.
Turn the screw back that many turns and you should then be in the middle of the (lean/rich to falter) range.
Now adjust the idle to 1000-1050 (what's in the manual).
But do walk up between 1050 and 1100 to see if the engine "feels" better there.
Now go back and read this section here and maybe it'll make more sense?
http://www.sportsterpedia.com/doku.p...ting_idle_fuel

You'll see what I mean doing the idle drop method. When it falters as opposed to when you get it centered.

I actually said "Hungry".
You ever thought about a dog's growl?
A poodle goes "bark-bark".
A shepherd "growls" (you know, one of those growls where they don't have to bark to make a point?)
It's not about exhaust either. It's about attitude.
I have no idea how to explain Hungry. But no it's not from gas starvation.
It just sounds like a growling shepherd that is being held back by it's owner.
Sounds healthy. You can listen to a stumbling motor in comparison and think "That motor doesn't sound healthy".

Last edited by Hippysmack; 31st August 2021 at 22:54.. Reason: Lying fingers
Old 1st September 2021
Biker

Quote:
Engine has to be at operating temp or you are wasting your time.
Run the idle down to where it almost stalls (stays running though).
Adjust the mixture screw down to where the engine falters (stop there).
Now go back the other direction (but count the number turns of turns with the screwdriver as you go).
Continue until the engine perks up then falters again (stop).
Divide the number of turns from 1st to second falter in half.
Turn the screw back that many turns and you should then be in the middle of the (lean/rich to falter) range.
Now adjust the idle to 1000-1050 (what's in the manual).
But do walk up between 1050 and 1100 to see if the engine "feels" better there.
Now go back and read this section here and maybe it'll make more sense?
http://www.sportsterpedia.com/doku.p...ting_idle_fuel

You'll see what I mean doing the idle drop method. When it falters as opposed to when you get it centered.

I actually said "Hungry".
You ever thought about a dog's growl?
A poodle goes "bark-bark".
A shepherd "growls" (you know, one of those growls where they don't have to bark to make a point?)
It's not about exhaust either. It's about attitude.
I have no idea how to explain Hungry. But no it's not from gas starvation.
It just sounds like a growling shepherd that is being held back by it's owner.
Sounds healthy. You can listen to a stumbling motor in comparison and think "That motor doesn't sound healthy".
The growl haha. I get what your putting down.

I just messed with that carb for way too long. Want to clarify a few things. When the butterfly closes is it suppose to sit on the transfer port closeted to the idle port? By the looks of it, no gas from the transfer ports can get past the butterfly. But the butterfly in a way sits on part of the transfer ports, closing them.

I took the intake off. Preset the butterfly so transfer ports are not letting fuel in. When the butterfly is closed it will not idle on its own. I have to crack and set the hand throttle. Started with IMS 2.5 turns out. Adjust up and it will start to falter as around 1 turn out, around 3.5 turns out total (enriching). Then I turn down to lean it out. I can hear it get better, then I can hear it falter. It seems to like the IMS around 2 turns out total, maybe a hair less.

When I close the IMS all the way in (lean), the motor won’t die and the butterfly is closed other than the hand throttle just cracked. Shouldn’t it die at that point? Do I have an intake or exhaust leak again or is this normal because I had to adjust the hand throttle slightly? Or does the air and fuel mix in the float enough that it won’t choke out from the closed butterfly?

I’m trying to imagine how it works after reading the carb section on sportsterpedia. I’m setting the IMS with the the butterfly open the slightest bit so it won’t stall at a really slow idle. Then I set the IMS in the middle as described. Kill the engine. I let the hand throttle go back to normal. Then I up my idle back to the 1000rpms area.

Does speeding up the idle create more vacuum pulling more air fuel mix into the idle port so it won’t die with the butter fly closed completely? With butterfly closed, to hand throttle cracked, on low idle it dies but when at fast idle it runs?
Old 1st September 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883►1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
IXL2Relax has disabled reputation

For IMS setting, the idea is to get the lowest idle speed where the engine still runs in order find the center point of the two falter points. Just keep reducing the idle speed (minimal amount) as you find that center point.

IF the bike will idle with the IMS fully closed, you might consider using a 42 Slow Jet (or a 44) to reduce the overall fuel being supplied. IF you do that, you will find that the center point of your tuning has now moved to more turns out on the IMS because you are feeding less fuel thru the jet. Actually, you will be having a very similar Idle AFR (by the more turns), but the Transfer Port operation will be positively affected.

It's never a bad idea to check for intake leaks around the seal.

The Throttle Plate is never intended to physically prevent the Transfer Ports from flowing fuel, but rather it minimizes the vacuum over them by keeping them on the outer side of the plate (functionally). They may appear physically available, but functionally, when the plate is barely open, even if over them, they are functionally minimized or eliminated.

This is a balancing act. But the goal is to have the Idle Port fully active at idle with the Transfer Ports minimized as much as possible so they CAN become active when you crack the throttle. If they are already active when at idle, that won't happen and the engine will falter when you crack the throttle. This proper functioning of the Transfer Ports (during a transfer from off idle to needing the needle fuel) is the point of the IMS tuning.

After finding the center of the falters at the lowest rpm, you reopen the throttle plate to have a 950-1050 idle rpm. That centered IMS setting will then allow the best transfer function when opening the throttle for more power off idle.

Think in terms of the best possible tune, rather than some perfect micro-setting that must be achieved. There's some point in the tune (after doing your best) that is GOOD-ENOUGH...

IXL _______ >>>> My Motorcycle Chronicles Are Here <<<<
For Sportster Tech Info:
Ride The Sportsterpedia - A Toll-Free XLForum Information Highway!