The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Sportster Motorcycle Custom Finishing
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Custom Finishing Here is where you can discuss various ways of customizing your Sportster motorcycle or Buell motorcycle.

Active Threads
0 Anyone still use Cycle Shack duels?
Last Post: jkinkade
Posted On: 8 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 192
0 1979 oil routing diagram
Last Post: Jorgem79
Posted On: 21 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 47
0 '03 883 Hugger Odd Clutch feel, 1st gear jumps out
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 48 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 268
0 Mid's or rear sets
Last Post: madnss
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 10,881
0 Hello from Toronto, Canada!
Last Post: Veeflys
Replies: 11
Views: 142
0 Show your tank decals
Last Post: geoff
Replies: 92
Views: 4,962
0 Lowboy frame conversion
Last Post: barefoot
Replies: 29
Views: 750
0 Surging Engine (electrical issue)
Last Post: sportsterdoc
Replies: 5
Views: 131
0 Primary Oil INSANITY!
Last Post: cotton1
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 31
Views: 2,831
0 Cartridge Conversion?
Last Post: XLXR
Replies: 13
Views: 207
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: MXHD55U
Replies: 3,380
Views: 303,736
0 Turn Signal Relocate issue
Last Post: Tucsonmax1
Replies: 12
Views: 183
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: ~Grind~
Replies: 779
Views: 65,420
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 39,806
Views: 6,090,616
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 5,790
Views: 367,386
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th August 2016
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200r roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
oldsoldier is a splendid one to beholdoldsoldier is a splendid one to beholdoldsoldier is a splendid one to beholdoldsoldier is a splendid one to beholdoldsoldier is a splendid one to beholdoldsoldier is a splendid one to beholdoldsoldier is a splendid one to beholdoldsoldier is a splendid one to beholdoldsoldier is a splendid one to beholdoldsoldier is a splendid one to beholdoldsoldier is a splendid one to behold
Default Curious about rat bikes

I am not sure what they are called anymore, but, when I was young, in the 70s & 80s, quite a few people that my father knew, rode rat bikes-bikes that, for lack of a better term, were worked on in their own homes, from parts either fabbed, or repurposed, for whatever they needed to replace.
I know that the whole "post apocalyptic" bike movement got somewhat famous after the latest mad max movie, but, I still like that style. Not the completely ragged out look of the bikes in the movie, but the more everyday style of rat bikes.
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here has done that as a project on their bikes? I am seriously considering this for my bike. I have been looking for a larger tank for a few weeks now, and came across a dented one on fleabay, which got me thinking about them again. Which led to searches, which led me down a rabbit hole.
Which then, ultimately, led me to this post. What I am wondering is, does anyone have that style done with their roadster? I am looking for different paint jobs, ideas, etc. I am looking to paint my tins over the winter, and am looking for some inspiration.
If you have pics of your rides, or suggestions, please post them here! Thanks!
Old 11th August 2016
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200Roadster #1
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R #2
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: 1984 FLHT, unforgotten
oilly1 has disabled reputation

Member lostNdallas has one you might like. He made it very distinctive and very much his own.
Old 11th August 2016
XLF LIFEMEMBER Im retired

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond reputeBob F has a reputation beyond repute

Not a rat fan here. Grinding the chrome off isn't my style.
Old 11th August 2016
Biker

oldsoldier is a splendid one to beholdoldsoldier is a splendid one to beholdoldsoldier is a splendid one to beholdoldsoldier is a splendid one to beholdoldsoldier is a splendid one to beholdoldsoldier is a splendid one to beholdoldsoldier is a splendid one to beholdoldsoldier is a splendid one to beholdoldsoldier is a splendid one to beholdoldsoldier is a splendid one to beholdoldsoldier is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob F View Post
Not a rat fan here. Grinding the chrome off isn't my style.
Thats going a little TOO far for me. I am primarily looking at paint & design ideas. Considering modding headlights, will be mounting a new tank, etc.
Old 11th August 2016
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: modded XL883/1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
Other Motorcycle Model: FLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1968
night-train is on a distinguished roadnight-train is on a distinguished roadnight-train is on a distinguished roadnight-train is on a distinguished roadnight-train is on a distinguished road

I don't rally think a RAT is made, it kind of happens over a period of years. Lots of miles, and use/abuse. Yeah, it can be 'made' a rat in your garage over the winter, but then its not honest wear.

But a real one has many miles and years of use in it. (just to repeat)

I feel pretty strong about it, same way about "road worn" guitars, or distressed leather amongst many fake , manufactured looks.
Old 11th August 2016
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by night-train View Post
I don't rally think a RAT is made, it kind of happens over a period of years. Lots of miles, and use/abuse. Yeah, it can be 'made' a rat in your garage over the winter, but then its not honest wear.

But a real one has many miles and years of use in it. (just to repeat)

I feel pretty strong about it, same way about "road worn" guitars, or distressed leather amongst many fake , manufactured looks.
Agreed. Mine is an 07, with almost 30k miles on it. Its never been garaged, it has sheltered from the winter in a shed at least 2 years. Other than that, it was stored under a carport for the winter. I am just looking to see other riders' examples, if they have them here. The new, bigger tank I am putting on next week, kind of kicked it off. A couple dents, scratched paint-kind f brings the bike in a different direction, asthetically. I plan on running with the idea, but want to repaint my tins, to give it a different look altogether.
Old 11th August 2016
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ducati Scrambler
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2018
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW F650GS
Other Motorcycle Year: 2001
mazmaz is a splendid one to beholdmazmaz is a splendid one to beholdmazmaz is a splendid one to beholdmazmaz is a splendid one to beholdmazmaz is a splendid one to beholdmazmaz is a splendid one to beholdmazmaz is a splendid one to beholdmazmaz is a splendid one to beholdmazmaz is a splendid one to beholdmazmaz is a splendid one to beholdmazmaz is a splendid one to behold

You might find this site useful:

http://mattblackrat.com/PHPBB3/index.php
Old 11th August 2016
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Infidel Chopper
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Daytona 675R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2014
18Bravo is a splendid one to behold18Bravo is a splendid one to behold18Bravo is a splendid one to behold18Bravo is a splendid one to behold18Bravo is a splendid one to behold18Bravo is a splendid one to behold18Bravo is a splendid one to behold18Bravo is a splendid one to behold18Bravo is a splendid one to behold18Bravo is a splendid one to behold18Bravo is a splendid one to behold

Mine is not a rat bike in the truest sense, but it does have that latest Mad Max look, being unpainted. I thought it would have fit right in, especially being built from weapon parts.

http://xlforum.net/forums/s....php?t=1332923
Old 11th August 2016
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xls 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xls 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: Cushman Truckster
Other Motorcycle Year: 1990
rokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond repute

My younger brother assembled one out of spare parts laying around in his home.

Here it is

Building something from less runs in the family.

It is not a dirty city sewer rat, per se. More of a clean dusty country rat.
Sponsored Links
Old 11th August 2016
Biker

Thanks all. Roky, thats kind of what I am looking at...