The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Active Threads
0 normal shifter shaft wobble
Last Post: Ireeman
Posted On: 13 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 292
0 Chinese S&S carbs
Posted On: 27 Minutes Ago
Replies: 39
Views: 1,457
0 41mm V-Twin Narrow-glide conversion for XL
Posted On: 42 Minutes Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 561
8 Inexplicable miss
Posted On: 49 Minutes Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 202
0 New Guy with Experienced Bike
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 51 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 6
0 Bandanas
Posted On: 57 Minutes Ago
Replies: 19
Views: 720
0 Top end failure
Last Post: Mission1
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 20
Views: 703
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 20,032
Views: 2,040,557
0 XR mutt race bike progress
Last Post: Scott
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 755
5 Eye Protection When Riding?
Last Post: boomerguy
Replies: 279
Views: 69,158
0 Ignition advice
Last Post: Rhode Warrior
Replies: 23
Views: 147
0 1992 XL ignition explained
Last Post: Bwf347
Replies: 11
Views: 556
0 Proven external Fuel pump and regulator
Last Post: rocketmangb
Replies: 7
Views: 54
0 What brake upgrade options does 1999 Sportster have? This is what I found!
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 28
Views: 1,509
0 New guy from IL
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 61
0 Front Brake Upgrade
Last Post: keithnh
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 29
Views: 7,903
0 Info needed on mini sumps.
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 39
Views: 1,421
0 Converting 2003 engine to fuel injection setup from 2007&UP model
Last Post: Randy_rots
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 1,807
0 Coil readings
Last Post: Billy1200
Replies: 5
Views: 100
0 Top end reassembly...what goes where!?!?!
Last Post: doodah man
Replies: 8
Views: 151
0 3/4” Axle Drum Brake ??
Last Post: Tim The Grim
Replies: 2
Views: 91
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 47,732
Views: 7,642,173
0 UltraCool oil cooler safety concern
Last Post: NGOT8R
Replies: 17
Views: 348
0 ....1
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 5,558
Views: 323,728
14 I just kind of stumbled in here... like 100 times.
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 26
Views: 231
0 Inherited Ironhead
Last Post: juzyHD
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 525
0 Run external oil filter? 68 xlch
Last Post: Akdawg
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 31
Views: 1,402
0 Noise and rod play
Last Post: DEEP DIVER
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 574
0 Hardtail 01 883C conversation.
Last Post: Vic8028
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 1,015
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,594
Views: 212,778
More...
Members Birthdays
warpusher, Terp84Alum, FiremistSLK (74), moony956 (72), E.H-57 (63), bplinson (56), fbroos73 (47), prefect (40), bamf_shadow (38), jakebuganski (38), Arwalkz007 (37), Fraser19 (31)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th May 2009
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
XLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Good pictures so far. I want to see how the pivot assembly attaches to the frame please.
The rubbermounts have a metal backing plate that pushes against the sides of the transmission rear mount lug. There is a black metal retainer ring on the left side of the bike that compresses the rubbermounts together and against the side of the frame on the right.

You can see it in the 7th picture down from the top. The left passenger foot peg is bolted to it.
Former Ricor test rider for IAS Shocks, Intiminators and Vibranators. Works Dual Rate fork springs, fork brace, Avon Venom X tires, loosen drive belt, and set frame rails level to floor. Read the "7 Pages of Suspension" thread in the Suspension Sticky Index to learn how to fix your suspension.

Last edited by XLXR; 12th May 2009 at 05:44..
Old 12th May 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
biknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to behold

Does the frame have a hole or something in it for the rubber mounts to fit in?

What I'd like to see is a picture of how the rubber mounts are held in the frame.

I see how they're held to the engine.
Completely stock except for, Branch #5 heads & 10.5:1 JE pistons, Red Shift V531 cams, S&S Super E, ThunderJet, V&H Sideshots, S&S Flywheels, Dyna 2000i, Stortz 55mm Inverted Fork, JMC Swingarm, Works Performance 12.5" Shocks, PM 4 Piston, PM wheels, 18 x 150 R tire, Custom Belt Drive Conversion, Still Has Original Nut Behind The Bars
Old 12th May 2009

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Short Chop
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1962
Blaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to all

Very informative so far.
Thanks to both of you...I'd have never even thought to look at this untill it started giving me problems..
Of course then it'd be a litttle late, huh???
Old 12th May 2009
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 06 883/1200 Sportster XLC
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200 Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2004
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Rocket lll
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
cootertwo is a name known to allcootertwo is a name known to allcootertwo is a name known to allcootertwo is a name known to allcootertwo is a name known to allcootertwo is a name known to allcootertwo is a name known to allcootertwo is a name known to allcootertwo is a name known to allcootertwo is a name known to allcootertwo is a name known to all

Very informative thread. Now, what I have been wondering. What if you replaced the rubber mounts, with some made of that polly stuff they use in up-graded car/truck suspensions. Seems to me, that would snug things up very nicely, and help to do away with the dreaded "wobble".
Old 12th May 2009
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH Chopper
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1962
flourman is just really niceflourman is just really niceflourman is just really niceflourman is just really niceflourman is just really niceflourman is just really niceflourman is just really niceflourman is just really niceflourman is just really niceflourman is just really niceflourman is just really nice

Very informative! Did you use any lube like silicone or graphite when putting it all back together? IMHO, doping it up with silicone would be better than painting it. I would think paint would wear and become lodged in this area. This would help keep the water out and keep things lubed up and shouldn't effect the rubber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cootertwo View Post
Very informative thread. Now, what I have been wondering. What if you replaced the rubber mounts, with some made of that polly stuff they use in up-graded car/truck suspensions. Seems to me, that would snug things up very nicely, and help to do away with the dreaded "wobble".
1st, polyurethane mounts are good but they do transfer vibration a lot more than typical rubber. 2nd, if you replace one piece of rubber with polyurethane you need to do all of them. Because the polyurethane is stiffer, it will transfer some movement and vibration to the non-polyurethane mounts causing them to wear faster and have funky movement.
Old 12th May 2009

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Cosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by biknut View Post
Good pictures so far. I want to see how the pivot assembly attaches to the frame please.
I know XLXR described how it mounts but I will take some pictures. I think I promised this originally...so thanks for the bump to my memory!

Quote:
Does the frame have a hole or something in it for the rubber mounts to fit in?

What I'd like to see is a picture of how the rubber mounts are held in the frame.

I see how they're held to the engine.
If you look in the original pictures, you'll notice there are two bumps (too early to think of something clever to call them!) on the rubbermounts that slide into the frame and the frame has specific "cut-outs" to clock the rubbermount and prevent it from spinning. I'll take some pics of what I am talking about shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flourman View Post
Very informative! Did you use any lube like silicone or graphite when putting it all back together? IMHO, doping it up with silicone would be better than painting it. I would think paint would wear and become lodged in this area. This would help keep the water out and keep things lubed up and shouldn't effect the rubber.
My initial thoughts were to paint the rusted area on the rubber mount but the metal ring is someone incapsulated in rubber so I didn't want to mess with it. So yes, I applied some waterproof grease that I used to use on my snowmobile suspension components.

If you don't stand behind our troops, please, feel free to stand in front of them!
Old 12th May 2009

Cosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond repute

I was hoping to take pictures before I installed the rear swingarm...but unfortunately in the fever of getting the bike back together I installed the rear swingarm, applied loctite and torqued the bolts already. I think we'll be ok though.

We'll start with the rear rubbermounts as they are a little different in design then the fronts. On the rear rubbermounts there is a metal ring built into it and the pivot shaft runs through this ring and rubbermount. Recall that the rubbermounts themselves have these bumps on them that located them in the frame and keep them from spinning of moving. You can see one of them here on the rubbermount (on the swingarm side):

On the throttle side of the bike the "hole" for the rubbermount. This is the same for the front rubbermount and is the reason why you install/remove the motor from the clutch side. The openings in the frame is designed to locate the bumps on the rubbermount. Here is a picture showing the two bumps and the rubbermount in the frame:

On the clutch side, the rear rubbermount is captured by a bracket you install after installing the motor. Here is a picture of the bracket (along with the pivot bolts that attach the rear swingarm) and you can better see the openings to locate the two bumps on the rear rubbermount:

Here is a picture of the bracket installed and bolted (2 places) to the frame:

The front rubbermounts have a little different design. The rubbermounts are basically opposite of the rear rubbermounts. The rubbermounts and the bumps on them slide into and are located within the front of the motor itsefl, not the frame. There is no pivot shaft on the front mount so they have metal tubes built into the rubbermount and these metal tubes actually are captured by the frame. Here is a picture of the front rubbermounts that I took when I had it apart. Notice that the front has one "bump" to locate it to the frame

Again, on the throttle side, there is a whole in the frame for the metal tube to slide into (sorry for the wiring in the way):

On the clutch side, just like the rear rubbermounts, there is a bracket that captures the rubbermount and the metal tube slides through it and mounts to the frame with two bolts:

Let me know if you guys have any other questions.
Old 12th May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLXR View Post
What do you think caused the groove in the pivot shaft? Was it the metal backing plate of the rubbermount?
XLXR, it just hit me...could this be the origin of the wobble issue?? If the pivot pin starts to develop a "groove" from the wear of the metal washer in the rubber mount, this would cause excessive play between the frame and the "motor/pivot shaft/rear swing arm" assembly on the one side (in my case, maybe both sides in other cases).
Old 12th May 2009

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
biknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to behold

Are there stabilizer links at the top and front of the motor like on my Road King, that prevent side movement?

Are XR motors and swing arms mounted in the same manner?
Old 12th May 2009

Quote:
Are there stabilizer links at the top and front of the motor like on my Road King, that prevent side movement?

Are XR motors and swing arms mounted in the same manner?
Biknut, I can't speak for XR's but there is a stabilizer link at the rear (just above the rear rubbermounts) and there is two at the front (one just above the oil filter and one up by the lower rocker box).