The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive Transmission, Clutch and primary or secondary drive problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Active Threads
0 Cams, what are the specs?
Last Post: sportytrace
Posted On: 12 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 32
0 Anyone go racing last weekend?
Last Post: cycowrencher
Posted On: 32 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2,800
Views: 255,765
5 1200 or 883
Last Post: Bone
Posted On: 39 Minutes Ago
Replies: 982
Views: 294,305
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: jharback
Posted On: 42 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2,681
Views: 229,865
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 472
Views: 22,628
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Replies: 8,104
Views: 623,914
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Replies: 41,583
Views: 6,392,506
0 New T Shirts
Last Post: Glamazon
Replies: 6
Views: 122
0 How many miles do you have on your rubbermount?
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 389
Views: 72,572
0 New from Pasco, Fl
Last Post: shanneba
Replies: 4
Views: 56
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Replies: 5,384
Views: 608,206
5 Your worst car?
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 212
Views: 23,267
0 hello and help
Replies: 6
Views: 106
0 New from Reno
Replies: 11
Views: 172
0 XR1200 caliper to 03 883R
Last Post: 93Sportytorres
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 328
0 New England 2018
Last Post: tvon
Replies: 196
Views: 10,171
0 Proposed clutch spring improvement0
Last Post: Serious Blac
Replies: 8
Views: 177
0 Ignition module screws, need size
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 303
0 Iree's jukbox joint
Last Post: ~Grind~
Replies: 4,880
Views: 269,386
0 "S" model specific Q&A
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 1,800
Views: 340,498
0 Let's study the 77-85 oil pump, parts, and changes and when.
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 32
Views: 1,491
0 Small nail in tire?? plug or replace
Last Post: rider61
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 130
Views: 18,887
0 Possible Stator Issues?
Last Post: JBaker
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 19
Views: 846
0 To hone, or not to hone
Last Post: T_worth
Replies: 4
Views: 147
0 Cut Wiring, no spark.
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 3
Views: 86
0 Boardtracker Project
Last Post: JonesL
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 565
Views: 100,617
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: sportytrace
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 10,296
Views: 697,077
0 THE Trainspotting Thread
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 2,102
Views: 233,914
0 My take on the world ~ Photo by Trace
Replies: 835
Views: 92,311
0 DK's Definitive Ride Report - Some of the Best Scenic Roads Out West - Tons of Photo'
Last Post: RandyMac
Replies: 134
Views: 6,963
More...
Members Birthdays
DaddyJay, sixshooter (71), cartoad2001 (69), Dirty Ernie (63), bri1200c (55), pquirk (52), GOTWA (49), gremlinsteve (49), lbowles2 (47), Guess (39), rnaway22es, landon283 (30)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl
Sportster/Buell Year: 88
Other Motorcycle Model: 79 FLH Classis / 97 FXDWG
Fast-Shovel is just really niceFast-Shovel is just really niceFast-Shovel is just really niceFast-Shovel is just really niceFast-Shovel is just really niceFast-Shovel is just really niceFast-Shovel is just really niceFast-Shovel is just really niceFast-Shovel is just really niceFast-Shovel is just really niceFast-Shovel is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Speed View Post
Good to know about the smooth shifting! Even 4th to 3rd? Yes, Even 3rd & 4th

The primary tension also affects the hunt for neutral. That is an advantage of the Hayden tensioner; it makes finding neutral so easy.
I hadn't located or installed the Hayden, I know that there's one in the Shop somewhere?
The Wife & I took a 50 Mile Ride Last Night to go Out to Dinner.
11 Miles into the ride We rolled up to an Intersection, She Looked to me & Exclaimed
THIS F%KING BIKE SHIFTS LIKE BUTTER

While @ Dinner She talked about how it is like Riding a Hole NEW Bike & Cannot Believe the Difference.
She can Now Find Neutral While Rolling or Stopped & It shifts Effortlessly Threw the Gears with the 03 Forward Controls I'd install Years Ago.

I would Do it all over Again If the Need Ever Arrises for Another 4Speed.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
Four Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
THIS F%KING BIKE SHIFTS LIKE BUTTER
Great! Good result after all that work. The key has to be to keep those shift rollers from getting pinched.
It makes you wonder wonder why HD used such slack tolerances in the first place? I will have to get round
to fitting my modified tower.

Is the clutch pull OK now as well?

Be interested how you get on with the Hayden.

I just noticed that the HD paint on my NOS battery tray upgrade is coming off in sheets! It's only
been fitted two years. There's always something!
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Biker

Fast-Shovel is just really niceFast-Shovel is just really niceFast-Shovel is just really niceFast-Shovel is just really niceFast-Shovel is just really niceFast-Shovel is just really niceFast-Shovel is just really niceFast-Shovel is just really niceFast-Shovel is just really niceFast-Shovel is just really niceFast-Shovel is just really nice

The problem with the Rollers being a few Thousands OD over size is the Ramp Angles would causes the shift fork to rotate slightly.
The roller followed the Cam Plate Great (IT WAS SMOOTH) 1st thew 4th.
It was when you shifted 4th threw 1st, the Ramp Angles 3rd down to 2nd would side load the fork causing it to rotate and that intern would cause roller to jam. (2nd to 1st was good)
I'd modified that one fork's ID by building up one side with brazing rod & then milling it to a size that allowed the ID to follow the Gear Shaft with slight tolerance.

The end result was Excellent now everything Shifted as Should.

This was Preformed on one of the OEM standard Forks in the Name of Science.
The used forks where quite nice showing very little ware, However in order to achieve proper gear spacing I had used NOS forks 1 @ + .020 & 1 @ - .020.
NOS are Getting Hard to Find, so even although I had Great Results in Brazing.
I'd Decided not to Modify the Forks & OD Grind the Top Hats closer to the OEM Specs.

The Clutch pull is Good for her,
However I wasn't Adding things up Properly, The 3 Springs @ 70# = 210# not 221#, so that actually 18# less instead of 7#. thats Quite a few Pounds Difference.
I'm contacting Barnett today to discuss my findings.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Four Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond repute

So in summary, if I have it correct, the most important modification to achieve shifting Nivarna is the tower bush. I hadn't noticed
rotation of the shifter fork but it would be hard to tell with so much slop coming from the tower bearing! I will have a look when I
install my modified tower. My shifter forks are steel. I'm not sure that makes much difference; perhaps they are a little stiffer.

Quote:
I've removed them & installed Only 3 70# springs. So it now has 210# on the Pressure Plate.
You had it correct when I read it! Maybe Barnett can come up with an ultra soft set of six springs for your Wife.

So, the remaining long term issue is that infernal 6009 bearing [and perhaps the fragile basket that can fail on modified engines].
As I said, the only viable option I have found is the SKF Explorer range which betters ISO standards and has about 15% higher
load rating. There may be a full complement 6009 available but that introduces other issues.

Forgot to check, did you run with Redline MTL? If so, it should limit any clutch drag when cold. I may try a mix of MLT and MT90
next time.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883/1250
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: Blast
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
WI_duker has a reputation beyond reputeWI_duker has a reputation beyond reputeWI_duker has a reputation beyond reputeWI_duker has a reputation beyond reputeWI_duker has a reputation beyond reputeWI_duker has a reputation beyond reputeWI_duker has a reputation beyond reputeWI_duker has a reputation beyond reputeWI_duker has a reputation beyond reputeWI_duker has a reputation beyond reputeWI_duker has a reputation beyond repute

Lol
The Barnett scorpion clutch in my 88 will give me tennis elbow if I try driving thru the city all day.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Speed View Post
So in summary, if I have it correct, the most important modification to achieve shifting Nivarna is the tower bush.The Aluminum Bronze Bushing that I ran took up the play within the Tower & Pawl Carrier. But I only Created enough Clearance to be Lubed.
The Cam Plate Shaft into the Pawl Carrier is where the Side Play that I had came from.
If it hadn't been Riding Season, I would have had the Male & Female of the Pawl Carrier Hard Chrome Plated along with the Cam Plate Shaft.
That Would have allowed me to Hone & OD Grind my parts for Closer Tolerance. The Aluminum Bronze Bushing works really well With Hard Chrome.
I hadn't noticed
rotation of the shifter fork but it would be hard to tell with so much slop coming from the tower bearing! I will have a look when I
install my modified tower. My shifter forks are steel. I'm not sure that makes much difference; perhaps they are a little stiffer. It's not that they Flex, It's the Width of the Mouth / U that ride on the Main & Counter Shaft that allow the other end with the Rollers To Get out of Alignment.

You had it correct when I read it! Maybe Barnett can come up with an ultra soft set of six springs for your Wife.

So, the remaining long term issue is that infernal 6009 bearing [and perhaps the fragile basket that can fail on modified engines].
As I said, the only viable option I have found is the SKF Explorer range which betters ISO standards and has about 15% higher
load rating. There may be a full complement 6009 available but that introduces other issues.

Forgot to check, did you run with Redline MTL? YES If so, it should limit any clutch drag when cold. I may try a mix of MLT and MT90
next time.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

I am sure you are right that hard chrome would be better still but maybe it is a diminishing return.
What you have done evidently works and is already better than it left the factory! My modified tower
has just a thin hard bronze bush like yours. I can't remember exactly what the play was (measured
at the edge of my shifter cam plate) but it was something like 0.01"! With the hard bush I see ±.002".

Quote:
It's not that they Flex, It's the Width of the Mouth
I followed what you are saying. I meant that I hadn't noticed that issue. I don't know if that is because
the steel forks had different tolerances; it wouldn't surprise me. I will have look when I strip it down again.

I think MTL is an excellent lube (use it in my BMW and Mercedes). I opted for MT90 to stay nearer HDs
viscosity specs.
Sponsored Links