The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Rocker box leak on rear cylinder after 16 years (2004) old bike
Last Post: vferdman
Posted On: 2 Minutes Ago
Replies: 21
Views: 247
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 5 Minutes Ago
Replies: 20,898
Views: 2,147,614
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: BWP 5p
Posted On: 16 Minutes Ago
Replies: 48,046
Views: 7,719,665
0 Mikuni carb
Last Post: mikethebike61
Posted On: 21 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 4
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 24 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10,894
Views: 2,112,556
0 wavers
Last Post: bill smith
Posted On: 26 Minutes Ago
Replies: 28
Views: 445
0 900cc Cylinders
Last Post: Maxeffort
Posted On: 37 Minutes Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 414
0 Cv carb jetting
Last Post: redironhead
Posted On: 44 Minutes Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 8,884
0 Member "Wedge" Heads for 1275 Conversion
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 32
Views: 972
0 Remember these?
Last Post: bustert
Replies: 6
Views: 193
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 4,158
Views: 598,397
0 Nothing to See/Hear
Last Post: Tater66
Replies: 13
Views: 659
0 Basket case
Last Post: Tipofthelake
Views: 288
0 tachometer on 2012 Custom
Last Post: hammer6315
Replies: 5
Views: 146
0 Help identifying brakes
Last Post: jharback
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 89
0 Boring intro
Replies: 12
Views: 545
0 New from Michigan
Replies: 14
Views: 446
0 Totally no connection fault..or is there?
Last Post: npaisnel
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 47
Views: 753
0 Fuel Sputter & Much More
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Replies: 13
Views: 286
0 Rear lights
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 1
Views: 55
0 ultima install without VOES
Last Post: supermotolew
Replies: 21
Views: 882
0 Corona Virus
Last Post: wedge
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 762
Views: 63,964
0 Coil Resistance Question
Last Post: John Harper
Replies: 4
Views: 108
0 Rear wheel alignment
Last Post: wedge
Replies: 18
Views: 688
0 is a buell a harley
Last Post: Steve9
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 172
Views: 24,716
0 never mind
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 180
Views: 21,656
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: MDT
Replies: 8,134
Views: 1,728,115
0 Anyone using the V&H FUELPAK FP3 currently?
Last Post: SwissXL
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Views: 204
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: ~Grind~
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,672
Views: 225,241
0 Sissy bar with HD quick release bracket
Last Post: JohnAkaB
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 62
More...
Members Birthdays
Desertfox (70), gd714 (60), insalltm (57), seagullplayer (55), ac_tx, jon686 (49), NineSixteen (45), dstroy12 (38)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883►1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
IXL2Relax has disabled reputation

Patrick - Your description of a Pull-In & Hold-in coil on the Ironheads is also implemented on the EVO models - That diagram is to understand the CURRENT DRAW of the various sections - Not a detailed wiring diagram of the solenoid.

I suspect the Ironhead solenoid works the same as the EVO models - In the EVO models, the switch from 'Pull-In & Hold-In' to simply the 'Hold-In' windings is handled WITHIN the solenoid itself. In fact, what happens is that the positive power is initially applied thru the Pull-In windings (and Hold-In windings) and when the plunger moves to make contact for the Starter Motor, it also applies positive power to the other side of the Pull-In winding, which essentially makes those Pull-In windings Positive on Both Sides and no current flows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrenchowl View Post
you will be a man my boy by using a big screwdriver to shorten the 2 posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Works a treat away from home...
Patrick
YEP - If you want to carry a BIG SCREWDRIVER and throw BIG SPARKS to start your Ironhead, that certainly can work - Or burn it up... There are lotsa ways to accomplish things, but not all of them are safe or practical or appropriate... Thanks for reminding us of that...

IXL _______ >>>> My Motorcycle Chronicles Are Here <<<<
For FREE Sportster Tech Info from the XLForum:
Explore The Sportsterpedia - The Best Kept Secret on the XLForum!
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1967
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHR
Other Motorcycle Year: 2019
sleighcrane is a name known to allsleighcrane is a name known to allsleighcrane is a name known to allsleighcrane is a name known to allsleighcrane is a name known to allsleighcrane is a name known to allsleighcrane is a name known to allsleighcrane is a name known to allsleighcrane is a name known to allsleighcrane is a name known to allsleighcrane is a name known to all

This is the inside of my solenoid after it stayed engaged. A lot of the pitting is also caused by arcing inside when you are hearing that clicking noise when trying to start

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000 cc
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
4th of July is a name known to all4th of July is a name known to all4th of July is a name known to all4th of July is a name known to all4th of July is a name known to all4th of July is a name known to all4th of July is a name known to all4th of July is a name known to all4th of July is a name known to all4th of July is a name known to all4th of July is a name known to all
Thumbs up

Good photos! Yeah, I am familiar with big sparks, when I accidentally touched a screwdriver from Solenoid Battery+ to Frame.......BOOM! Like a bolt of lightning, complete with thunder. That blew the cover off of my battery, although it was about 3 years old. ALWAYS DISCONNECT BATTERY when working on these. I knew that, but didn't do it that time. I did that before posting this so totally my fault there. If you want to be a real man, try that sometime. A real stupid man that is. Whoa Daddy! That did not help my Solenoid either.

If my "new" starter relay had not stuck in full on position I would not have even been messing with the Solenoid in the 1st place. So in reality, it really was CHINA's fault.......or whomever made the damn thing. I had 2 new Starter relays fail which caused the overheating mentioned at start of this post. That was dangerous. But, I would have never experienced the Big BOOM if that didn't happen. It really was like a bolt of lightning. I think my IQ increased after that too. Another positive! Did anybody see the old Sci Fi film "Forbidden Planet"? if not, you should. Same thing happened to Dr. Morbious (or was it Dubious?) as I recall.

Anyway, this is great group. Thank You!
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
bustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond repute

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...1&d=1430098906

mount this to the frame front.
mr. sleigh, is the washer steel? if so, there is a fix for that. i have been down that road. the steel surface is dissimilar to the copper contacts and destruction is almost a sure thing. the fix will be to add in better materials like brass, silver solder or copper.

as a side note, the evo will do the same but at least the hd unit is copper on both sides. however, they will eventually carbon tack, i just filled in my contact surfaces with 15% silver solder a few days ago, higher the better, less corrosive and pitting. if you are patient, and the exhaust is not in the way, you can do it starter installed.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Year: 1967
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHR
Other Motorcycle Year: 2019
sleighcrane is a name known to allsleighcrane is a name known to allsleighcrane is a name known to allsleighcrane is a name known to allsleighcrane is a name known to allsleighcrane is a name known to allsleighcrane is a name known to allsleighcrane is a name known to allsleighcrane is a name known to allsleighcrane is a name known to allsleighcrane is a name known to all

The washer is copper I have a rebuild kit on the way so I have a backup in case of emergency. It is so much work to get at it though I just put in a new one this time. I get faster every time though
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond repute

The rebuild kit can cost as much as a replacement. Typically, a new one is the better choice.

Visit Mick's WebSite
[And Check Out My Autobiog]
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
bustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond repute

if yours were copper, you got a good one, the over-seas will be junk but you can rebuild with better materials. the copper is easier to fix with silver solder, way harder than copper and corrosion resistant. one member he even found a copper washer to fix his but the brass would be better.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000 cc
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
4th of July is a name known to all4th of July is a name known to all4th of July is a name known to all4th of July is a name known to all4th of July is a name known to all4th of July is a name known to all4th of July is a name known to all4th of July is a name known to all4th of July is a name known to all4th of July is a name known to all4th of July is a name known to all

Good photos! I may try to take old Solenoid apart. May have enough room to pull black plastic cap off without completely taking everything else off the bike. I suspect problem is right underneath the cap due to connection, Solenoid is clicking loudly when starting, just does not engage Starter.

In photo, looks like that washer is removable (center of 1st photo), and +Battery lead would be the copper bolt soldered to copper wire. If there are any other critical contacts there, let me know if possible.The piece that would have gotten hottest was the mini-terminal on Solenoid. Other incident was touching socket to +Battery lead (big BOOM).

Thanks again!