The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Active Threads
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 32 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13,865
Views: 1,280,832
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 47 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2,362
Views: 196,694
0 Suggestions on no start
Last Post: mickey t
Posted On: 50 Minutes Ago
Replies: 74
Views: 1,997
5 What Color Helmet is Most Noticable?
Last Post: Maxeffort
Posted On: 55 Minutes Ago
Replies: 57
Views: 8,645
0 DK Custom 3" Velocity Stack
Last Post: mesalkn
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 439
0 battery drain
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 3
Views: 52
0 67 to 70 cam cover and sprocket cover.
Last Post: gpydeski
Replies: 2
Views: 55
0 Tired of hearing the Sportster is a girls bike (The one and only Girly Bike Thread)
Last Post: NLXL
Replies: 3,928
Views: 766,042
0 hello and help!
Last Post: smokey 2
Replies: 16
Views: 464
0 newbie
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 12
Views: 71
0 Sportster runs only on choke
Last Post: harley506d
Views: 39
0 Compression Tester Differences
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 619
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 7,763
Views: 1,548,955
0 MPG HONESTLY, what do you get?
Last Post: koolbreeze
Replies: 576
Views: 75,242
0 HAMMERING the Columbia!
Last Post: Turbo Sporty 48
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 54
Views: 10,581
0 Help with my 2007 883R and Cobra 909 exhaust
Last Post: Glamazon
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Views: 37
0 Do Loud Pipes in fact save lives?
Last Post: Hellbent_4
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,555
Views: 272,082
0 Ignition coil rating ?
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 1
Views: 52
0 Headlight - What are you using ? - '74 XLH
Last Post: ryder rick
Views: 59
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: kkbii
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,405
Views: 312,299
0 Happy Birthday Joebobber
Last Post: joes95bobber
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 200
0 2003 XLH Battery install help
Last Post: John Harper
Replies: 12
Views: 378
0 Breather in cam cover 1985
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 5
Views: 177
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: Bow only
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 6,349
Views: 816,180
0 Poll: Do you change tires yourself?
Last Post: Tomcatt
Replies: 124
Views: 30,333
0 Do people notice your bike?
Last Post: 83XLX
Replies: 1,202
Views: 324,636
0 New to us
Last Post: juzyHD
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Views: 147
0 What did you do to your EFI Sporty today?
Last Post: ParrotHead
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 3,937
Views: 755,426
11 Ss carburetor
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Views: 111
More...
Members Birthdays
DaddyJay, sixshooter (72), cartoad2001 (70), Dirty Ernie (64), ncpickman (58), bri1200c (56), pquirk (53), GOTWA (50), gremlinsteve (50), lbowles2 (48), Guess (40), rnaway22es, landon283 (31)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th July 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883DLX
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
NLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by felis View Post
Ya - I saw that one too:

Similar, but enough differences if you examine them closely enough.

And Harley has done similar stuff with the Sportster throughout the years -
same engine/chassis with different tanks, fenders, lights and so on.
I'm not sure the two in the pics have the same exact engine/chassis though.
In the link felis provided us it says:
"Harley-Davidson did not provide specific technical details about the new model beyond the 338cc displacement. Supplied renderings of the proposed model appear to show a trellis frame, swingarm, suspension and engine similar to those used on the Benelli TNT300 (pictured below). The Benelli runs on a liquid-cooled four-valve DOHC 300cc parallel Twin, and if the renderings are a true indication, we should expect he new Harley model to be similar, but with the larger displacement. If the new model does carry on most of the elements of the Benelli TNT300, then much of the development would already be complete"

So, basically it's the same, but with 38 cc more. There must be a real funny guy working there: An 338 in stead of an 883...
Old 15th July 2019
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200CB
Sportster/Buell Year: 2015
Other Motorcycle Model: CRF250L
Other Motorcycle Year: 2017
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

Mine’s reliable and doesn’t leak. It’s fast enough for me too.

There is nothing at the end of any road better than may be found beside it. Edward Thomas (1878 - 1917)
Old 15th July 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2005 XL1200Custom
hammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertfox View Post
I've heard that 2019 may be the last year for the Sportster as we know it. I think they are doing away with the Evo motor entirely. If you find this hard to believe, they had no problem doing away with the Vrod and the big twin evo's. Can the Sportster be far behind? After all just about everything out there is faster, more reliable and doesn't leak. Harley can't keep making these dinosaurs for ever, no matter how much we love them. Harley is being dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century. They are going to have to modernize and compete.
OK I'll take the bait: The V rod had poor sales. Evo Sportsters are pretty tight in my experience, and plenty fast. Dragged kicking and screaming by whom? A bunch of un-elected bureaucrats who write new laws upon new laws every year? (Another reason why the Don was elected). Dinosaurs? They've got computer controlled sequential port fuel injection! Anyway, it will be interesting to see the new Sportsters
Old 15th July 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

NLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertfox View Post
I've heard that 2019 may be the last year for the Sportster as we know it. I think they are doing away with the Evo motor entirely. If you find this hard to believe, they had no problem doing away with the Vrod and the big twin evo's. Can the Sportster be far behind? After all just about everything out there is faster, more reliable and doesn't leak. Harley can't keep making these dinosaurs for ever, no matter how much we love them. Harley is being dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century. They are going to have to modernize and compete.
I think it's also a 'generation' thing. I like these dinosaurs, but the new generation of riders want a hassle free bike, they ride to a dealer just to get their tires on the right pressure (honestly). Most of them don't have a bond with a certain brand anymore. Harley knows that damn well. They don't care about 'the old days' and the now 'older guys and girls'. They are targetting the new generation of motorcyclist. I can understand, they have to to survive.

For me nothing have to change, but I know it will. Mine doesn't leak, it 'sweats' here and there, not much for a 27 year old bike (Harley!). There's not really oil leaking or dripping out. It's not enough to tear it apart. But it's not what one expects from a company that produces motorcycles for over 116 years.
Old 15th July 2019
Air-Cooled Forever

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: (Prev.Own)XLH Milw.Spec.
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1981
Toejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond repute

You can brag up all the new tech you want. Reliability? I rode a '97 Suzuki Marauder 800 for 10 yrs., basically trouble free. Their online presence-then 4000 members, now maybe 8000 members, that included 1400cc and 800cc Intruders, too. They have similar problems, the Sportster and other bikes had too, but little market support. When I rode my 650 Yamaha for 9 years, same problem...minimal support.
My Sportster doesn't leak and has been problem free. I like the fact that I can repair it myself. The Online presence is awesome and if I can't figure something out, I can always look to you guys for help and inspiration. I think the MoCo sees it, too. There were slumps in the market before and if they can come out with something new, good for them. But I really don't see the Sportster line going away, either.
Old 16th July 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883►1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
IXL2Relax has disabled reputation

I don't really care what they bring out for 2020 - I've never bought a brand-new motorcycle and (at my age) I never will - So, as long as their new sales (of whatever) keeps the company in business, I'll be happy if they continue to supply (for a little while longer) some of the maintenance or repair parts we need for the older bikes...

Of course, having the history it does, there will be aftermarket, take off and even some upgrade parts available for my bike till I can no longer ride it...

I say best of luck with whatever they do... (but it would be a shame to drag the Sportster name down by applying it to an inferior product)

IXL _______ >>>> My Motorcycle Chronicles Are Here <<<<
For FREE Sportster Tech Info from the XLForum:
Explore The Sportsterpedia - The Best Kept Secret on the XLForum!
Old 16th July 2019
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2014
Glamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting that Yamaha,Royal Enfield, Kawasaki Moto Guzzi and BMW are still making air cooled twins, another new retro BMW is coming for 2020
Sponsored Links
Old 16th July 2019
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200CX Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2017
b0fh has much to be proud ofb0fh has much to be proud ofb0fh has much to be proud ofb0fh has much to be proud ofb0fh has much to be proud ofb0fh has much to be proud ofb0fh has much to be proud ofb0fh has much to be proud ofb0fh has much to be proud ofb0fh has much to be proud ofb0fh has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLXL View Post
I think it's also a 'generation' thing. I like these dinosaurs, but the new generation of riders want a hassle free bike, they ride to a dealer just to get their tires on the right pressure (honestly). Most of them don't have a bond with a certain brand anymore. Harley knows that damn well. They don't care about 'the old days' and the now 'older guys and girls'. They are targetting the new generation of motorcyclist. I can understand, they have to to survive.

For me nothing have to change, but I know it will. Mine doesn't leak, it 'sweats' here and there, not much for a 27 year old bike (Harley!). There's not really oil leaking or dripping out. It's not enough to tear it apart. But it's not what one expects from a company that produces motorcycles for over 116 years.

theres no such thing as a ‘new generation of riders’, at least here in the west.

smart move catering to asian/indian markets from the mo-co
Old 16th July 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0fh View Post
theres no such thing as a ‘new generation of riders’, at least here in the west.
Really? Try Google some more.

https://fortune.com/2019/01/27/mille...n-motorcycles/

https://www.fox4now.com/news/nationa...maker-for-kids

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...tion-of-riders

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/2...ration-riders/

https://www.fix.com/blog/new-generat...vidson-riders/

...etc...etc...etc...
Old 16th July 2019
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 2001 883 Custom
Desertfox has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer6315 View Post
OK I'll take the bait: The V rod had poor sales. Evo Sportsters are pretty tight in my experience, and plenty fast. Dragged kicking and screaming by whom? A bunch of un-elected bureaucrats who write new laws upon new laws every year? (Another reason why the Don was elected). Dinosaurs? They've got computer controlled sequential port fuel injection! Anyway, it will be interesting to see the new Sportsters
Not trying to bait anyone, just saying. I think this new Harley Bareknuckle (they have trademarked the name) is going to replace the Sportie. I'm seeing unit construction, water cooloage, overhead cammage and 1200 ccs. I would be surprised if H-D keeps the tooling for the Evo motor when the Sportster is the only bike in their product line that still uses it. They are obviously in the process of dumping the evo motor. The Milwaukee eight is a completely different motor than the old Evo. It has absolutely NO parts that will interchange with it. Hell even Volkswagen finally stopped making the Beetle.

Personally I'm looking forward to what comes next. Harley-Davidson has some real stiff competition out there. I hope they come up with a real ass kicker that won't pee on your garage floor.