The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: koolbreeze
Posted On: 12 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5,444
Views: 935,440
0 1981 XLH Getting Recranked
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 12 Minutes Ago
Replies: 100
Views: 4,535
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: seajay
Posted On: 17 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13,129
Views: 3,302,159
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 36,955
Views: 4,571,919
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 54,418
Views: 9,251,864
0 video & pics
Last Post: cal43
Replies: 1,388
Views: 141,646
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 29,200
Views: 1,702,008
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 5,249
Views: 1,152,532
0 an old Lady
Replies: 0
Views: 35
0 This is gonna hurt.
Replies: 9,596
Views: 2,316,163
0 Replacing Fork Springs and Fork Oil 'How-To'
Last Post: Mathias
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 230
Views: 113,167
0 Sportster Oil Pressure and Dynamics
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 168
Views: 8,276
0 Fuel delivery issues
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 191
0 Factory Chain Oiler
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 382
0 Oops, I signed up for another long ass ride: The 2022 Hoka Hey
Last Post: ParrotHead
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 34
Views: 2,630
0 Clutch Stud Spacer: 1.530" pn #5995, 0.040" #5996, 0.080" #5997
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 251
0 Align intake manifold
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 108
0 pop's through carb at,idle
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 5,057
0 ***DK Custom-2 NEW Contests-Instagram & Twitter***
Last Post: hannamontana
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 13,631
0 oil light flickering
Last Post: John Harper
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 200
0 DK Customs external Breather catch can location help
Last Post: tvon
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Views: 108
0 Slip on muffler
Last Post: LiveToRide57
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 246
Views: 86,638
0 Fork Gaiters
Last Post: tiderider
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 46
Views: 1,912
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: Stray Cat
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 7,992
Views: 1,448,668
0 Gas Cap problem?
Last Post: ZTatZAU
Replies: 54
Views: 1,913
0 Bike issue after swapping handlebar. :(
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 21
Views: 522
0 A different Oil filter test
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 15
Views: 3,502
0 23" wheel 4"over fork tubes
Last Post: class of 82
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 61
0 Saddlemen Step Up or Drag Specialties Predator III Seat?
Last Post: Mathias
Posted On: 18 Hours Ago
Views: 4,883
0 All balls generator
Last Post: class of 82
Posted On: 18 Hours Ago
Views: 321
More...
Members Birthdays

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd February 2022
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

DR DICK has a reputation beyond reputeDR DICK has a reputation beyond reputeDR DICK has a reputation beyond reputeDR DICK has a reputation beyond reputeDR DICK has a reputation beyond reputeDR DICK has a reputation beyond reputeDR DICK has a reputation beyond reputeDR DICK has a reputation beyond reputeDR DICK has a reputation beyond reputeDR DICK has a reputation beyond reputeDR DICK has a reputation beyond repute

regarding post 58.
i need to apologize.

that post is no use to anyone.
i am an arrogant horses ass at times.

ill try to do better.
Old 3rd February 2022
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1959
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sprint 350
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1969
Other Motorcycle Model: Guzzi Ambassador
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
Chuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond repute

Well, if it is kick Chuck in public week . . .

I did originally build rollers because I was struggling to get the float level right on an L Series carb. It made the bike a real bitch to start until I got it figured out. I had all non stock float parts and no baseline. I then had a bunch of bikes I was working on that were difficult to diagnose. The rollers saved me a lot of time and hassle over kicking when testing the repairs.

About three months after I built rollers -- they became an unexpected GOD SEND.

I had a severe and terrible bout with COVID. I went from 198 pounds of pure muscle and almost no body fat to 165 pounds of flab. I've finally come back to 175 and have hanging skin all over my body. I also have a damaged heart and lungs, brain fog, and significant intermittent fatigue. The end result is that some days I can kick fine and some days I can't get my leg over the saddle. Most of the time, I can't really muster more than 5 to 7 kicks. I'm actually headed to a new internist on Monday to really get this sorted along with some other issues that are deeply impacting my quality of life.

I also suffered an achilles injury last winter and was not able to put any power into a kick until May/June. So, I rode lightweights and electric start most of the summer for commuting. I was NOT about to give up the big inch bikes as they are so much fun. So, the roller starters became my life line to enjoyment of these bikes and continued riding. I'm not using rollers for a crutch - I'm using them because I want to ride even when I can't physically start the bike!

The only bike I couldn't ride this summer was my flatty. Operating a foot clutch and a foot pedal for the rollers was too much. Even though the bike isn't that hard to kick over -- it takes a good boot that winded me. Being the total idiot I am -- I simply bought a OEM mousetrap and am in the process of converting it to hand clutch foot shift because I will not miss another summer of riding the beast.

As it stands, I'm staring at another year or two before I'm "recovered." I just had special exercise equipment installed at the house so I can work on my heart and my legs. In fact, Model H inspired me to do so.

More to the point, since I shared my plans and my experience with the rollers, I've helped other guys make their own or I made a set for them for only the cost of materials. These are all older dudes, with the average age being 75. They haven't been able to ride some of their bikes in years. These are user friendly bikes -- simply owned by gents who can't treat them like they did when younger.

I got nothing but extremely excited messages and videos with beaming owners back on their old friends. I guess I did wrong by giving them another way to enjoy their bikes before they take a dirt nap.

Like I said, I have at least a year or two to recover. In my mind, I thought had done alright by figuring out how to stay in the wind and keep my spirits up when faced with a wall of $hit I couldn't otherwise physically overcome.

I have NO apologies for building or using rollers. Without them, my bikes would just be gathering dust. So, make fun of me or tell me I'm not worthy or knock me down all you want.

I'm in the wind and I'm happy as a clam.

COVID won't beat me -- ever.
Old 3rd February 2022
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1981
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDC
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
Steve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond repute

That's a great outlook.

Sorry about the covid, you will be back to normal in a while!
'01 Cyclone stock
'13 FXDC 96" stock
Old 3rd February 2022
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLB, XLCH, Sporton
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1966
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH (Another one)
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
Ferrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I will be reporting you to the Government. Someone from the Government will be around to help you shortly.
Old 3rd February 2022
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Ferrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond repute

Chuck, seriously sorry this has happened to you.

I have no intention of giving up ANY of the tools that make life easier/possible for me.

Doc, you just proved to us that you are human.
And then you turned around and apologized.

So, at least we know you don't work for the Government.
Old 3rd February 2022
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL77.2R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
rejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond repute

Your side car is on the right or left side ?
Old 3rd February 2022
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

On the left.

A big advantage for P3's on CW tracks. A disadvantage on CCW tracks.

The US sidecar fraternity is divided between the east coast and the west coast and depending on where you live you may find more left sidecars or more right sidecars.

And your rules are designed to allow only certain makes of bikes to be run.

I looked at going to Daytona but there's no way they would allow a 1350 meth burning Sportster to run there.
Old 8th February 2022
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
73HEAD has a brilliant future73HEAD has a brilliant future73HEAD has a brilliant future73HEAD has a brilliant future73HEAD has a brilliant future73HEAD has a brilliant future73HEAD has a brilliant future73HEAD has a brilliant future73HEAD has a brilliant future73HEAD has a brilliant future73HEAD has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckthebeatertruck View Post
Well, if it is kick Chuck in public week . . .

I did originally build rollers because I was struggling to get the float level right on an L Series carb. It made the bike a real bitch to start until I got it figured out. I had all non stock float parts and no baseline. I then had a bunch of bikes I was working on that were difficult to diagnose. The rollers saved me a lot of time and hassle over kicking when testing the repairs.

About three months after I built rollers -- they became an unexpected GOD SEND.

I had a severe and terrible bout with COVID. I went from 198 pounds of pure muscle and almost no body fat to 165 pounds of flab. I've finally come back to 175 and have hanging skin all over my body. I also have a damaged heart and lungs, brain fog, and significant intermittent fatigue. The end result is that some days I can kick fine and some days I can't get my leg over the saddle. Most of the time, I can't really muster more than 5 to 7 kicks. I'm actually headed to a new internist on Monday to really get this sorted along with some other issues that are deeply impacting my quality of life.

I also suffered an achilles injury last winter and was not able to put any power into a kick until May/June. So, I rode lightweights and electric start most of the summer for commuting. I was NOT about to give up the big inch bikes as they are so much fun. So, the roller starters became my life line to enjoyment of these bikes and continued riding. I'm not using rollers for a crutch - I'm using them because I want to ride even when I can't physically start the bike!

The only bike I couldn't ride this summer was my flatty. Operating a foot clutch and a foot pedal for the rollers was too much. Even though the bike isn't that hard to kick over -- it takes a good boot that winded me. Being the total idiot I am -- I simply bought a OEM mousetrap and am in the process of converting it to hand clutch foot shift because I will not miss another summer of riding the beast.

As it stands, I'm staring at another year or two before I'm "recovered." I just had special exercise equipment installed at the house so I can work on my heart and my legs. In fact, Model H inspired me to do so.

More to the point, since I shared my plans and my experience with the rollers, I've helped other guys make their own or I made a set for them for only the cost of materials. These are all older dudes, with the average age being 75. They haven't been able to ride some of their bikes in years. These are user friendly bikes -- simply owned by gents who can't treat them like they did when younger.

I got nothing but extremely excited messages and videos with beaming owners back on their old friends. I guess I did wrong by giving them another way to enjoy their bikes before they take a dirt nap.

Like I said, I have at least a year or two to recover. In my mind, I thought had done alright by figuring out how to stay in the wind and keep my spirits up when faced with a wall of $hit I couldn't otherwise physically overcome.

I have NO apologies for building or using rollers. Without them, my bikes would just be gathering dust. So, make fun of me or tell me I'm not worthy or knock me down all you want.

COVID won't beat me -- ever.

Good on you mate. You are pretty cool in my books. I hope you get well. All the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk