The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER & BUELL MOTORCYCLE RACING > Sportster Motorcycle Drag Racing
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Drag Racing Discuss drag racing on a Sportster Motorcycle.

Active Threads
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2,605
Views: 345,297
0 Electric Harley sub-forum(s)...?
Last Post: NLXL
Posted On: 10 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 64
0 Speed
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 17 Minutes Ago
Replies: 32
Views: 326
0 Deer hunting at stairman's.
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 24 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 37
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 32 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7,825
Views: 1,582,311
0 sportster and a grand
Last Post: stikflote
Posted On: 34 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 67
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Posted On: 36 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2,589
Views: 220,279
0 On starting a new thread
Last Post: GA_Ironhead
Posted On: 42 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 197
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Posted On: 53 Minutes Ago
Replies: 45,530
Views: 7,190,527
0 98 Stator Removal / Inspection / Installation
Last Post: sportsterdoc
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 45
Views: 1,324
0 Anyone hunting an XLCH in a Norton Featherbed Project?
Last Post: Serious Blac
Replies: 46
Views: 2,432
0 05 883xl question re: jet size
Last Post: rocketmangb
Replies: 8
Views: 182
0 How much is a late 60's early 70's Sportster worth?
Last Post: Gold Member
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 24
Views: 1,364
0 2007 Sportster xl883l (low) 3k original miles
Last Post: eskimo619
Replies: 29
Views: 652
0 latest project sorrry not an ironhead.
Last Post: Maxeffort
Replies: 7
Views: 222
0 DK Custom-Parts Info, Testing, & Results w/ Pics & Fun-to-Read Ride Reports
Last Post: DK Custom
Replies: 22
Views: 3,673
0 5 gal tank
Last Post: spoon
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 58
Views: 17,706
0 Pictorial Essay, my town, Waterloo, Ontario
Last Post: Glamazon
Replies: 19
Views: 4,274
0 front drum bearing fit
Last Post: bustert
Replies: 1
Views: 85
0 Flame's New 1989
Last Post: Flame__
Replies: 622
Views: 91,406
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 14,360
Views: 806,087
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: boomerguy
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 6,470
Views: 846,950
0 MikuniHSR REAL WORLD tuning tips for beginners
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 239
Views: 52,299
0 What's your opinion on windshields?
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,203
Views: 205,677
0 1200 conversion
Replies: 13
Views: 456
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Replies: 15,100
Views: 1,432,141
0 To Lace or Not to Lace, or While We're Doing This...
Replies: 13
Views: 518
0 never mind
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Replies: 5
Views: 247
0 What Kind of Gas Treatment Do You Use?
Last Post: shanneba
Replies: 20
Views: 602
0 This week on Craig's list
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,469
Views: 547,296
More...
Members Birthdays
xlhrick (74), madrat (68), gripdad (65), ask4dug (63), TinMan_4L (58), jrhayden (57), norseXL (54), ftcara (53), rick600, thebisch (49), wademclean, smooth8423 (44), timmaboy (43), mxmike800 (29), OddOneOut (28)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th July 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond repute

Your starts are something that will need practice. Talk to some of the guys here and at your local track about technique. It helps to see an example in person. You never want to drop the clutch, but slip it instead. With practice you'll easily be leaving the line at over 3000 rpm.
I'm still looking for that excel formula. I've applied the formula to many different applications: Jap bikes, Harleys, cars, trucks, etc., and had positive results with all. It eliminates the ifs, ands, buts, and erroneous opinions.
Old 10th July 2007

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883R
Sleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond reputeSleeper has a reputation beyond repute

This is exactly what a horsepower curve is all about. It takes into account that the rpm the motor is turning is also a component of the performance. The more rpm you're turning, the more gear reduction you can apply at a given speed, and hence the more you can multiply the motor's torque. Horsepower is a complete description of performance, torque is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBAS5 View Post
If hp is a complete description of performance, then why show the torque curve? Why not just show the hp curve?
Good Question, the top paragraph is the kind of answer or statement you will get from someone that might be a good wrench or dyno operator. But it won't be the same answer you'll get from good mechanical engineer, physicist, or even a well educated and intelligent racer.
Old 10th July 2007
A Million Facts & Figures

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
aswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
Mikel NY
Running at the highest average peak torque in every gear is the short answer.
It might be a short answer, but it's a wrong answer.

Torque is twisting force, without any regard for speed. But speed is enormously important.

For example, if you have 80 ft-lbs at 3000 rpm, you can get twice as much done as if you had 80 ft-lbs at 1500 rpm. You're making the same torque, but you're making it twice as fast.

In fact, you could take that 80 ft-lbs at 3000 rpm, gear it down 2:1, and have 160ft-lbs at 1500 rpm. In other words, you have the option of making twice the torque, but doing it at the same speed as the weaker motor.

So you see, having more rpm is a huge advantage. You can make small torque into big torque if you have more rpm. That's what gear reduction is all about.

It's also exactly why a 600 race rep with 40 ft-lbs at 15,000 rpm will beat up on a Sportster making 80 ft-lbs at 5000 rpm. It may only have half the torque, but it's turning three times the rpm. So for any given rear wheel speed, it can have three times the gear reduction through the primary & tranny & final drive, which multiplies it's torque three additional times over that of the Sportster. Hence more torque reaches the rear wheel at any given rear wheel speed. Three times 40 is 120, and that's more than the 80 that the Sportster has.

That's exactly why you talk horsepower when you're talking about performance. Horsepower is literally torque times rpm. It combines the twisting force (torque) with the speed of twisting (rpm). Both are equally important when you're talking about performance. They're also totally interchangeable. Gear something down, you decrease rpm and increase torque. Gear something up, you increase rpm and decrease torque.

More in-depth explanation here:

http://www.nrhsperformance.com/tech_power.shtml

And in case you're wondering, yes, I am an engineer. But this is really basic physics, you don't need an engineering degree to grasp this.

Old 10th July 2007
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Honda CBR 929RR
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
blakjak is a jewel in the roughblakjak is a jewel in the roughblakjak is a jewel in the roughblakjak is a jewel in the roughblakjak is a jewel in the roughblakjak is a jewel in the roughblakjak is a jewel in the roughblakjak is a jewel in the roughblakjak is a jewel in the roughblakjak is a jewel in the roughblakjak is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswracing View Post
It's also exactly why a 600 race rep with 40 ft-lbs at 15,000 rpm will beat up on a Sportster making 80 ft-lbs at 5000 rpm. It may only have half the torque, but it's turning three times the rpm. So for any given rear wheel speed, it can have three times the gear reduction through the primary & tranny & final drive, which multiplies it's torque three additional times over that of the Sportster. Hence more torque reaches the rear wheel at any given rear wheel speed. Three times 40 is 120, and that's more than the 80 that the Sportster has.
All you need to say right there.

To quote something I read somewhere else, that's what puts billy biker on the trailer and ricky ricer on the podium.

THIS NEEDS TO BE MADE A STICKY SOMEWHERE!!!
Old 10th July 2007
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
jrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nicejrossty is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakjak View Post
All you need to say right there.

To quote something I read somewhere else, that's what puts billy biker on the trailer and ricky ricer on the podium.

THIS NEEDS TO BE MADE A STICKY SOMEWHERE!!!
Apples to Oranges though.

Comparing an air-cooled OHV engine to a liquid cooled DOHC is like comparing Oscar de La Hoya to Mike Tyson. Sure they're both awesome in their own way... Different styles

"Whatever doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"
Old 10th July 2007
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Narley has a spectacular aura aboutNarley has a spectacular aura aboutNarley has a spectacular aura aboutNarley has a spectacular aura aboutNarley has a spectacular aura aboutNarley has a spectacular aura aboutNarley has a spectacular aura aboutNarley has a spectacular aura aboutNarley has a spectacular aura aboutNarley has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
If hp is a complete description of performance, then why show the torque curve? Why not just show the hp curve?
We are all very visual and like that...just saves the math really.
I once had a tq run over rpm and a hp run over mph....that was not fun to overlay....

The cannons don't thunder ,there is nothing to plunder.
My Caribbean yearnings 200 years late. I am a forty year old victim of fate. Arriving on the scene 2 centuries late. Alas I am glad still, for having found me best mate. With the wind in my sails...n the rubber side down, I cruise dangerous land ,they all know me in town. No parrot, no sword..with regular life I be bored. So I does what I can, We don't set ships a sail,we aint walked no planks, but we live best we can and for that we give thanks.
Old 11th July 2007

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883H/1200H
Sportster/Buell Year: '96
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH 1000 w/elec. leg too
Sportster/Buell Year #2: '72
sportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
edited for name calling -raysheen
At first I thought this was a slam, but no it's a joke, no it is a slam, if I understand your point. Is that really called for? GEESH ...
Political Correctness never killed any terrorists.

Last edited by raysheen; 11th July 2007 at 15:17..
Old 11th July 2007
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XL1200
twodownzero has disabled reputation

Quote:

Just showing the torque curve is really all that is necessary. Horsepower is nothing more than a mathematical calculation based on torque and time.
Sponsored Links
Old 11th July 2007
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883 w/ 88"
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: wife's 883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Mikel_NY is on a distinguished roadMikel_NY is on a distinguished roadMikel_NY is on a distinguished roadMikel_NY is on a distinguished roadMikel_NY is on a distinguished road

I don't have a clue what Sleeper's post 17 is tring to say!! I can't understand why you would post such a slam ( if it is a slam? )

So back to learning when to Shift.... By making the intake track longer one can move the TQ peak lower in the rpm range, so If I removed the spacer between my carb and intake tract, I would move the peak TQ up in rpms thus making more HP at higher RPMs. Is this true?

'06 Chopper Blue XL883 Converted...... (88")

D&D 2-1 exhaust * Redshift 630/585's * Mikuni 45mm * Roller Rockers * Oil cooler * Thunderheart Digital ignition

Shrader valves on forks * 27"drag bars * 4.5" pullbacks w/ 1.5"risers * Xena mod Speedo * (2-up & pegs * Removable Back rest...for the kids)

In the works: 4" swingarm w/ 17 x 5.5 - 180 rear tire (to hold the front down.)
Old 11th July 2007
A Million Facts & Figures

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
aswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
Just showing the torque curve is really all that is necessary. Horsepower is nothing more than a mathematical calculation based on torque and time.
At any given rear wheel speed, maximum rear wheel torque occurs at the engine's power peak, not at the engine's torque peak. That's a mathematical fact that's very easy to prove.

Let's just take a real world example.

Here's a motor we built for a guy several years ago.

The torque peak is 109.4 ft-lbs at 4600 rpm

The power peak is 117.6 hp at 6700 rpm

Pick a rear wheel speed. Let's just say 500rpm.

If we have the motor at 4600rpm, and we're in a gear that gives us 500rpm rear wheel speed, that means we have 9.2 of overall gear reduction, right? 4600 divided by 500 is 9.2.

Well, if the motor is making 109.4 ft-lbs, and you've got 9.2 of gear reduction between the crank and the rear wheel, you've got 109.4 times 9.2 equals 1006.48 ft-lbs of torque at the rear wheel. Agreed?

Okay, now let's see what happens at the power peak instead. If we have the bike at 6700rpm, and it's got 117.6 horsepower, that means it's making 92.2 ft-lbs of torque. torque = (hp times 5252) divided by rpm, if you work that out you'll get 92.2 ft-lbs, and you can see on the chart that's about right.

If we have the motor at 6700rpm, and we're in a gear that gives us 500rpm rear wheel speed, that means we have 13.4 of overall gear reduction, right? 6700 divided by 500 is 13.4.

Well, if the motor is making 92.2 ft-lbs, and you've got 13.4 of gear reduction between the crank an the rear wheel, you've got 92.2 times 13.4 equals 1235.48 ft-lbs of torque at the rear wheel. Agreed?

1235.48 is more than 1006.48. The power peak wins.

So as you can see, at the same rear wheel speed, you put more torque to the rear wheel when the motor is at the horsepower peak, not when the motor is at the torque peak.

This is exactly why horsepower is the meaningful number. It takes the engine's rpm into consideration. The engine's rpm is every bit as important as the engine's torque, because the more engine rpm we have, the more gear reduction we can apply for a given rear wheel speed. And the more gear reduction we can apply, the more we multiply the engine's torque. The important thing isn't how much torque the engine can make, or how much rpm it can turn, the important thing is how much of both it can do at once. That number is called "horsepower".

ps: there's a much more direct way to do that calculation, I did it the long way just to illustrate the concept. But the short way is just to calculate rear wheel torque directly, knowing rear wheel rpm and rear wheel horsepower. Remember, any time you know any two of the three components (torque, rpm, or power), you can can calculate the third.

Last edited by aswracing; 11th July 2007 at 05:20..