The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 KT - 2020 - Where Eagles Dare
Last Post: RDHenley
Posted On: 3 Minutes Ago
Replies: 39
Views: 7,957
0 4 Speed Stator Replace
Last Post: connorneil13
Posted On: 18 Minutes Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 285
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 36 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4,074
Views: 564,353
0 Polished rotor/brake pad compatability
Last Post: Firehawk
Posted On: 47 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 4
1 Sportster's they are just sexy
Last Post: Firehawk
Posted On: 51 Minutes Ago
Replies: 22
Views: 1,987
0 Dynatek Ignition questions
Last Post: IronMick
Posted On: 58 Minutes Ago
Replies: 90
Views: 2,015
0 Struggling with year??
Last Post: ohiodk
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 59
0 compression low?
Last Post: 93trident
Replies: 13
Views: 696
0 Hello from the uk I just got my first Harley!
Last Post: Sugarsinner
Replies: 12
Views: 196
0 ....1
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 5,381
Views: 317,268
0 Keep & Kill
Replies: 17,054
Views: 980,448
0 Forum member mug shots
Replies: 1,181
Views: 354,195
5 1969 XLCH exhaust question
Last Post: Coz
Replies: 13
Views: 356
0 I'm back...
Last Post: screndname
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 225
0 Generator removal
Last Post: brucstoudt
Replies: 8
Views: 366
0 `83 XLX rebuid and questions thread
Last Post: brucstoudt
Replies: 347
Views: 32,978
0 Random video thread.
Last Post: NLXL
Replies: 1,395
Views: 185,533
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 19,161
Views: 1,939,182
5 RSD LED Indicator
Last Post: mk87ita
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 53
0 Snippets
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 130
Views: 11,091
0 Converting from 1250 to 1275
Replies: 153
Views: 6,608
0 A Day in the Life...
Replies: 701
Views: 94,890
0 What engine oil do you use?
Last Post: Steve9
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 476
Views: 100,931
0 did the quiet baffle install short shots
Last Post: b0fh
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 461
0 Do people notice your bike?
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,224
Views: 342,396
0 1983 XLX--Back at it
Last Post: 83XLXCT
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 53
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 47,414
Views: 7,564,586
0 can you tell me why?
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 46
Views: 2,000
6 Blast Project (and will be needing help most likely)
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 79
Views: 14,181
0 Mid or forward controls.
Last Post: Bigshankhank
Replies: 193
Views: 51,334
More...
Members Birthdays
Tags
solenoid, solenoid button, starter

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th April 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH Ironhead 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda Goldwing
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Gulf Coaster has much to be proud ofGulf Coaster has much to be proud ofGulf Coaster has much to be proud ofGulf Coaster has much to be proud ofGulf Coaster has much to be proud ofGulf Coaster has much to be proud ofGulf Coaster has much to be proud ofGulf Coaster has much to be proud ofGulf Coaster has much to be proud ofGulf Coaster has much to be proud ofGulf Coaster has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by glbsportster View Post
One of the first simple things I would do is have a friend come over and change batteries for a test....if his starter clicks then it is your battery,
That certainly does sound simple. I can put it in my son's 883, tomorrow, and see what happens. In the meantime, I have a slightly larger (and new) motorcycle battery on hand in my Goldwing. I can give that a try, tonight. I'll try swapping it out. Thanks for the advice.
Old 4th April 2020
Asgardian

Sportster/Buell Model: 883r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Chris Craft 32
Other Motorcycle Year: abov
Ireeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond repute

Bigger battery never helps, always the wire or connection.
Old 4th April 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Gulf Coaster has much to be proud ofGulf Coaster has much to be proud ofGulf Coaster has much to be proud ofGulf Coaster has much to be proud ofGulf Coaster has much to be proud ofGulf Coaster has much to be proud ofGulf Coaster has much to be proud ofGulf Coaster has much to be proud ofGulf Coaster has much to be proud ofGulf Coaster has much to be proud ofGulf Coaster has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazz1000 View Post
u might not need a rebuild kit,, I did,nt,,,,,, new primary gasket and oil,, good time to check ur primary chain and shoe tensioner,, but do buy a new starter relay,,,for sure like 12.00 bucks at autozone ,,,,, good luck,,,,, be simple,,,, god bless,,,1 more thing u will need a new gasket for the backside of the starter or maybe not...
So, after buying a relay (could I have the wrong one?) and a starter, without fixing the "one big click" problem, we seem to be back to the battery. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to test it in another bike, so I will take it to my local auto parts store and have them load test it. When I charge it, it reaches full charge quickly and shows 12.4 v. One thing that I'm curious about is the two ground wires on the negative terminal. There are three heavy wires; one to the starter, one goes to a bolt top of the engine, and the last one goes to one of the mounting bolts on the battery shelf. That one apparently is meant to be a ground to the frame, but it doesn't seem to have continuity with anything but the other battery tray bolt. Is that where it is supposed to go? Everything electrical on the bike works, except obviously the starter motor, and that cable is where it was when the starter did work. I pulled all three cables and cleaned the ends and everything they connect to. Thanks!
Old 4th April 2020
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
BigMek has much to be proud ofBigMek has much to be proud ofBigMek has much to be proud ofBigMek has much to be proud ofBigMek has much to be proud ofBigMek has much to be proud ofBigMek has much to be proud ofBigMek has much to be proud ofBigMek has much to be proud ofBigMek has much to be proud ofBigMek has much to be proud of

The battery tray and oil tank are isolated from the frame, mechanically and electrically, by the rubber mounts. There's no reason to have a ground wire going to the battery tray. For clarity, you have one heavy-duty cable going from the negative terminal to the engine, and one going from the positive terminal to the starter, yes?

82 starter function is a three-part process:
1. Start button triggers the start relay
2. Start relay triggers the starter solenoid
3. Starter solenoid turns on the starter motor

If you can feel the solenoid doing its thing, sounds like you're getting to Step 2 fine. In my experience, when the battery gets weak you'll get a rapid clicking of the starter solenoid, same as you get from a car. If that's not happening and the motor isn't spinning, it sounds like there's no power getting to the starter motor. I would check for continuity between the + terminal on the starter and the other end of the cable - you might have an internal break.

It's unlikely to have a bad ground, but you can check that by testing continuity between the starter body and the engine. The starter grounds through its housing, so the mounting bolts pretty well take care of that.
Old 4th April 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMek View Post
The battery tray and oil tank are isolated from the frame, mechanically and electrically, by the rubber mounts. There's no reason to have a ground wire going to the battery tray. For clarity, you have one heavy-duty cable going from the negative terminal to the engine, and one going from the positive terminal to the starter, yes?

82 starter function is a three-part process:
1. Start button triggers the start relay
2. Start relay triggers the starter solenoid
3. Starter solenoid turns on the starter motor

If you can feel the solenoid doing its thing, sounds like you're getting to Step 2 fine. In my experience, when the battery gets weak you'll get a rapid clicking of the starter solenoid, same as you get from a car. If that's not happening and the motor isn't spinning, it sounds like there's no power getting to the starter motor. I would check for continuity between the + terminal on the starter and the other end of the cable - you might have an internal break.

It's unlikely to have a bad ground, but you can check that by testing continuity between the starter body and the engine. The starter grounds through its housing, so the mounting bolts pretty well take care of that.
BigMek, you hit it on the nose. I don't know why there is a "ground" going to the battery shelf. It clearly serves no purpose.The issue turned out to be no power getting to the starter. The green wire to the solenoid was fine, but not the cable going to the starter motor from the positive terminal. I got a proper connection there, and she started right up. I'm rather chagrined I hadn't figured that out, or at least checked before replacing the starter and relay. Considering I spend about $130 to learn that little lesson, it came comparatively cheap! Thanks for the excellent instruction. -Steve
Old 5th April 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883►1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
IXL2Relax has disabled reputation

Your battery is too low - at 12.4v it's nearly 50% depleted:

AGM Batteries
Voltage Reading ... 12.7 ... 12.6 ... 12.3 ... 12.0 ... 11.8
Percent Charged . 100% ...75% ... 50% .... 25% ... 0%

Record your meter readings - Report back:
1) Measure the voltage across the battery terminals with the Keyswitch OFF
2) Measure the voltage across the battery terminals with the Keyswitch ON
3) Measure the voltage across the battery terminals when cranking the starter
(Test#3 is a LOAD TEST - The battery voltage should not drop below 10.5v)

To do a proper ground test:
Set your meter to the 20v DC Scale
Clamp the RED meter probe onto the Positive Battery Terminal
Take a voltage reading directly across the battery by touching the BLACK probe to the Negative Battery Post
This reading becomes your REFERENCE VOLTAGE (RV)

Now, move the BLACK meter probe to any GROUND POINT on the bike and compare the voltage reading to the RV.

All readings should be within .3v of the Reference Voltage.

Check everywhere that there should be a ground - engine (both sides), cylinder heads, regulator body, handlebars, etc.

IXL _______ >>>> My Motorcycle Chronicles Are Here <<<<
For FREE Sportster Tech Info from the XLForum:
Explore The Sportsterpedia - The Best Kept Secret on the XLForum!
Old 5th April 2020
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Other Motorcycle Model: KX 250F, XR200
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
smac74 is a name known to allsmac74 is a name known to allsmac74 is a name known to allsmac74 is a name known to allsmac74 is a name known to allsmac74 is a name known to allsmac74 is a name known to allsmac74 is a name known to allsmac74 is a name known to allsmac74 is a name known to allsmac74 is a name known to all

I literally had this exact same problem with my 74 over the last few months. It turned out to be the plunger part of the solenoid wasn't making good contact with the inside of the solenoid. I went through every part, testing voltages, continuity, grounds, etc. Replaced relays, solenoid, starter, battery- just to find out when I finally broke down to have my mechanic look at it, that the plunger inside the primary cover wasn't seating well. It would pass voltage to the starter but not current to turn it. Installed a replacement kit and off we went. Drove me nuts trying to figure it out.
Old 5th April 2020
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen some with a shim in the plunger before the spring so it applies more pressure/travel to the pin.

A round disc like piece 3/32" thick, small enough in diameter to go in first before the plunger spring.
Old 6th April 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac74 View Post
I literally had this exact same problem with my 74 over the last few months. It turned out to be the plunger part of the solenoid wasn't making good contact with the inside of the solenoid. I went through every part, testing voltages, continuity, grounds, etc. Replaced relays, solenoid, starter, battery- just to find out when I finally broke down to have my mechanic look at it, that the plunger inside the primary cover wasn't seating well. It would pass voltage to the starter but not current to turn it. Installed a replacement kit and off we went. Drove me nuts trying to figure it out.
I finally found that the problem was the cable from the battery to the starter. That was all it was. I finally figured it out, with some help from here, but I am going to have to try to find a mechanic, at some point. The local H-D shop won't touch anything older than 90-something, so I'll have to find a privateer. I've done okay so for, but at some point I am sure it will break in a way I can't fix.