The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Product Reviews
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Product Reviews Here is where you can write up your own review of bikes, parts, or accessories.

Please do not post problems in here unless replying to a review. Please post problems with specific parts or accessories in their respective forum topics.

Active Threads
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: cal43
Posted On: 12 Minutes Ago
Replies: 52,917
Views: 8,968,680
1 Hello from Cork, Ireland
Last Post: irida150
Posted On: 34 Minutes Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 77
0 First time HD owner
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 52 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 24
0 ....1
Last Post: toe
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 6,304
Views: 386,076
0 A Reliable Engine
Last Post: 73HEAD
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 24
Views: 672
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 26,704
Views: 1,548,789
0 Microsquirt EFI Conversion
Last Post: t120r
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 61
Views: 6,797
0 What song do you have stuck in your head?
Last Post: iNSaNeSHaNe
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,486
Views: 276,490
0 04 Sportster refurb and build.
Last Post: JimVonBaden
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 106
Views: 8,187
0 My XLCH/XLR Hybrid build
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 650
0 What did you do to your EFI Sporty today?
Last Post: Steelrain
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,034
Views: 860,274
0 Coulda' - Shoulda' - Woulda' - Solenoid/Bendix?
Last Post: ZTatZAU
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 64
0 On board voltmeter
Replies: 12
Views: 821
0 Let's See Your Iron!!!
Last Post: Ghostdog
Replies: 2,140
Views: 1,623,670
0 Aftermarket Ironhead Seats - ID?
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 399
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: rokytnji
Replies: 2,215
Views: 395,081
3 Rear galiper bracket spec.
Last Post: DG Racing
Replies: 1
Views: 111
0 1972 Build thread please subscribe
Last Post: wedge
Replies: 167
Views: 25,176
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 4,899
Views: 1,005,462
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Replies: 33,840
Views: 4,072,364
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Replies: 3,738
Views: 441,635
0 extortion
Last Post: wedge
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 125
Views: 8,629
0 Primary chain tensioner, stock or M1 or other?
Last Post: gotamotor
Replies: 8
Views: 453
0 Pushrod adjustment question
Last Post: gotamotor
Replies: 12
Views: 944
0 Can't install kickstand spring
Last Post: RicThompson
Replies: 13
Views: 463
0 Before and After pictures/Videos of your bike (All Welcome)
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 108
Views: 32,031
0 Snippets
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 591
Views: 83,495
0 1200T Build
Replies: 6
Views: 563
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 18 Hours Ago
Replies: 9,225
Views: 2,178,822
0 Massachusetts 2022
Last Post: joes95bobber
Posted On: 18 Hours Ago
Replies: 26
Views: 922
More...
Members Birthdays
hillclimber (72), burtondl2 (54), Cet (52), hagar71 (51), ShaneWolfe (50), grizdiesel (45), Confused89 (37), RAIDER0372 (36), spamer80 (36), svwannabe

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st July 2007
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
PSEBYL is on a distinguished roadPSEBYL is on a distinguished roadPSEBYL is on a distinguished road
Default Review: Dynatek DSPT-1 Ignition Module

I haven't read about any 883's using the Dynatek DSPT-1 ignition module (only a few 1200's), so here are my observations.

I replaced my stock ignition module because my bike would frequently have carb farts when blipping the throttle while decelerating, particularly when down shifting from 2nd to 1st gear (too much timing advance at low RPM). Not cool when rolling on throttle in a turn!

I originally considered both the Dynatek DSPT-1 and the Daytona TwinTec TC88A. I favored the DSPT-1 for the following reasons:
1) Cost. The DSPT-1 is $100. less than the TC88A.
2) Simplicity. I wanted a plug-n-play ignition module. I don't need the user programmability, or data logging features of the TC88A.
3) Specifications. The DSPT-1's advance tables are factory programmed specifically for a Sportster, versus the TC88A's advance tables being pre-programmed specifically for a big twin (with claims to being compatible with a Sportster).
4) Support. Dynatek was very friendly and helpful to my inquiries pre-purchase. Daytona TwinTec was very cold and impersonal to the same inquiries; I felt like I was corresponding with a rock.

Research:

I compared advance table charts from Daytona TwinTec and Dynatek. The nominal timing values are quite different. For example, the TC88A with setting #5 provides 24° of advance at idle versus the DSPT-1 which provides 12° of advance at idle; a big difference. The DSPT-1's selectable advance curves, in the nominal range, are very close to the custom curve(s) that Turbota developed for the TC88A.

I was concerned about the DSPT-1's non-adjustable VSS frequency of 1356 hz @ 60 MPH. I assume this frequency was chosen to split the difference between the 883's factory VSS frequency of 1381 hz, and the 1200's factory VSS frequency of 1338 hz. BEWARE…the DSPT-1 will only provide an acceptable amount of speedometer error for a 2004-2005 Sportster. The DSPT-1's VSS frequency, as developed for the "new" 2004 Sportster, did not account for the future change in the 2006 Sportster's transmission (see 061200c's issue with his 2006 Sportster with DSPT-1 here http://xlforum.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=29669 ).

Usage:

The DSPT-1 has 16 user selectable advance curves in 4 separate groups, using 1 rotary switch:
Group A) 4 curves for stock motors.
Group B) 4 curves for high torque motors (>1 ft. lb. per c. i. @ 2-4K RPM).
Group C) 4 curves for turbo and nitrous applications only.
The 4th group of 4 curves is described as retard curves, which Dynatek neither defines nor even mentions using in their instructions.
The first 12 curves are named for their timing value at WOT (for example, 34A = 34 degrees of advance at WOT, group A). The procedure is to use the highest advance curve, in the appropriate group, without pinging. The other rotary switch adjusts for 8 different RPM limits ranging from 6250 to 8500.

My results:

The first thing I noticed is that the “check engine” light doesn’t illuminate for the first few seconds once the key is in the ignition position. Maybe it doesn’t support H-D’s diagnostic monitoring? I recently added the H-D tach kit; there was no change in tachometer functionality, or any indicator other than the “check engine” light.

I started with the 34A setting, then switched to the 36A setting, without telling much of a difference. Then I tried the 38A setting. Immediately, I could feel an improvement in off-idle throttle response. Once warmed up, the rhythm of the idle seemed to be smoother as well. At cruise, I felt a slight reduction in engine vibration at steady state throttle @ 3K RPM. No perceptible difference at WOT. Speedometer error with the stock module was 1% slow, and now with the DSPT-1 it’s 1% fast.

Returning home, there are few slow speed turns, including my driveway, which usually yield 1 to 2 carb farts while blipping the throttle on decel. I didn’t get a single one! I even tried to cause them. Once parked in my driveway at idle, I thought surely I could force a carb fart by whacking the throttle open. I tried several times. NO CARB FARTS! The engine just responds in kind. I couldn’t believe it!

This ignition module did not provide any real seat-of-the-pants performance improvement. It did, however, provide a more tractable throttle, which improves the drivability and enjoyment of my bike. Was it worth the $189.? It was for me just to get rid of the carb farts.

Old 31st July 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 100th Anniversary
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
1Ray Hewett is an unknown quantity at this point

As long as the farts don't smell, I can live with them.
Old 31st July 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
milmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Great report !!

Let us know if you find out about the engine light !! I'm curious now !!!!
Old 31st July 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883-1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Other Motorcycle Model: 600cc CBR
Other Motorcycle Year: 1987
Weo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to all

Thanks for the info!
Old 2nd July 2014
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
flip21boards is an unknown quantity at this point

I ended up getting one. They work great! I have a 04 sporty with a 1200 conversion 9 5 1 compression. my bike really woke up around 28b and 30b.

Last edited by flip21boards; 3rd July 2014 at 20:39.. Reason: messed up
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883c
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
runnermedic is an unknown quantity at this point

Old thread but this module still on sale.
Found this:
The problem of losing the check engine light is because this module does not save or transmit information through the diagnostic port, the Grn / V cable that goes from the module to the port and then to the speedometer is dead. Compared to the original module, it presents changes in voltage that are translated into data. If you want to know the status of your motorcycle you must use the speedometer diagnostic method and there you can see the saved codes. The lack of this module not having the communication function through the j1850vpw + protocol causes the loss of making diagnosis and not sharing data such as rpms, gear position voltage, security system and other data. In reality, the benefits are few and to top it off, it takes away functions. So the other option would be tc88 or go back to the original module if you want to keep these options. If there is a better option and someone knows about it please share it.