The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > GENERAL AREA > Off-Topic/General Discussion
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Off-Topic/General Discussion Here is you can submit non-Sportster related topics. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION PLEASE.

Active Threads
0 69/50 Fest: The 50th Anniversary of the 1969 Sportster (Fall 2019 GBB) 9/14/19
Last Post: Magneto Sportster
Posted On: 18 Minutes Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 1,392
0 Evo Sportster Secondary Drive Sprockey Question
Last Post: Sirrom1
Posted On: 19 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 117
0 Another Sporty ADV Build
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 21 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 380
0 Sportster Crankcase Pressure / Engine Breathing / Wetsumping and Mods
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 25 Minutes Ago
Replies: 750
Views: 20,607
0 Sadly Leaving
Replies: 13
Views: 240
0 gearing is too high ?
Last Post: Sirrom1
Replies: 61
Views: 2,748
0 2020 Bikes listed on the HD website
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 47 Minutes Ago
Replies: 23
Views: 680
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 52 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13,056
Views: 1,194,525
0 trans slips in 2nd gear 1989 883
Last Post: sglock45
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 13
0 The Oil Leak Rabbit Hole
Replies: 24
Views: 1,085
5 VOES Vacuum reading after engine mod... where to set?
Last Post: bustert
Replies: 8
Views: 170
0 First startup
Last Post: bustert
Replies: 3
Views: 111
0 Two small bearings (balls) in drain plug
Last Post: Edster
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 27
Views: 979
0 Speedometer stopped working
Last Post: painterdude923
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 133
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: Maxeffort
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,229
Views: 491,357
0 I guess it''s true. (2019 The Last Year For The Sportster?)
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 109
Views: 4,397
0 wheel swap
Last Post: Maxeffort
Replies: 7
Views: 185
0 Never seen this before...
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 440
0 2020 Sportsters
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 1,036
0 1969 XLCH Speedo
Last Post: Moon Wolf
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 160
0 what is the.... (883 top speed)
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 66
Views: 23,648
0 XLCH Sticker on front fork clamp cover
Last Post: mickey t
Replies: 12
Views: 347
0 ....1
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 4,961
Views: 291,808
0 Average age of the Ironhead forum users
Last Post: Captain Johnny
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 443
Views: 84,747
0 Spark plugs
Last Post: ryder rick
Replies: 12
Views: 230
0 New 2020 Sportsters!
Last Post: Clevspeed
Replies: 0
Views: 48
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 10,176
Views: 1,725,255
0 What have I done wrong? (Cleaned Carb, Now Won't Start)
Last Post: DYLAN
Replies: 18
Views: 389
5 Replaced bad VOES... Engine sounds weird when hot and idle
Last Post: groovemeisterus
Replies: 8
Views: 260
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 2,205
Views: 183,920
More...
Members Birthdays
qrtsteve (65), NoRemorse (51), johnboy (50), bmonty72 (47), superscythe (46), arlen (41), Sonofnothing (35), grahamc (34)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th June 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883DLX
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
NLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcustom View Post
I saw this and wondered if carbon fiber is conductive and if the helmet was made of this type of material.
Doesn't matter what material the helmet is. If not the helmet, next closest thing it will strike is the metal stuff, handlebars etc...You will be electrocuted no matter what. Lightning can only be diverted to (the) ground. Look at lightning rods on buildings. It's not by absorbing, but by diverting the electricity to copper cabling to the ground. And even then it will cause an electric explosion.

Sometimes the current is 200,000 amperes, and the voltage is millions of volts. If lightning strikes somewhere, up to 10 gigajoules jump from cloud to earth; enough to keep 10 60-watt lamps on for six months. Stay away from it.
Old 11th June 2019
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Sportster/Buell Model #2: FXLR Low Rider
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2019
SLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually automobiles are protected (sort of) by the metal roof, those in convertibles are just as exposed as a biker. In the 12 bikers killed by lightning, very few seem to have actually been going down the road, most are standing next to the bike stopped on the side of the road (an absolute no-no). You need to be inside a building with a roof and walls to protect you or non-convertible auto. You also do not need to be in the actual storm as lightning can strike up to 15 miles from the storm front.

From Lightning.org

"Myth #4: Rubber tires protect you from lightning in a car by insulating you from the ground.

Fact: Most cars are reasonably safe from lightning, but it’s the metal roof and metal sides that protect you, not the rubber tires. Thus convertibles, motorcycles, bikes, open shelled outdoor recreation vehicles, and cars with plastic or fiberglass shells offer no lightning protection."
Old 11th June 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toejam503 View Post
I had this happen to me and fellow rider back in '88. We felt the hairs on our arms, neck etc. stand up and I lead us onto the first approach we came upon, and rode up into a shelter belt. Just got off the bikes when lightning struck the shoulder of the road off to our left. Big blue dots for a while and we couldn't hear anything for about 3-4 hours. You were very lucky, sportsterpaul!
I had ridden about an hour north of home when some “popcorn” storms appeared across the horizon below me. I hung out for an hour thinking they would subside, not, just filled the entire sky and intensified. Had to work in the morning so took the plunge and headed south down M-19. Ended up following a Ford Tempo, doing 35 m.p.h. In a 55 m.p.h. Zone, torrential downpour, I’m 20 feet off the rear bumper cause I can’t see the road, then the heavens opened up and the bolt struck the shoulder maybe two feet away, blinded me for a couple seconds, strong sulphur smell, hair standing up on neck and arms, scared me sh*tless. Right then and there promised myself never to do lightening again.
I.B.A.#26543, Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing!

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/start
Old 15th June 2019
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1966
Hopalong48 is a splendid one to beholdHopalong48 is a splendid one to beholdHopalong48 is a splendid one to beholdHopalong48 is a splendid one to beholdHopalong48 is a splendid one to beholdHopalong48 is a splendid one to beholdHopalong48 is a splendid one to beholdHopalong48 is a splendid one to beholdHopalong48 is a splendid one to beholdHopalong48 is a splendid one to beholdHopalong48 is a splendid one to behold

I was playing golf when a storm rolled in so I left, two men were struck by lightning a little later, One guys gets his haircut where I go and he said they heard thunder and say lightning way off in the distance. He woke up in the hospital, his partner was in intensive care for three weeks. He said they were not worried about it because it seemed so far away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 16th June 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

What’s the cardinal rule,”don’t mess with Mother Nature”!