The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006) This area is to discuss issues, problems and anything else unique to the 2004 and above Sportster motorcycles

Active Threads
0 What is this?? 07 efi 1200 weird box
Last Post: nettshubby
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 535
0 HFSM issues with installing DK Customs push button on
Last Post: Hank21113
Posted On: 2 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 303
0 My take on the world ~ Photo by Trace
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 4 Minutes Ago
Replies: 705
Views: 68,274
0 Brake light stays on
Last Post: jammantoo
Posted On: 20 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 48
0 WTF Happened
Last Post: iNSaNeSHaNe
Posted On: 32 Minutes Ago
Replies: 879
Views: 142,209
0 Throttle Cable Install Problem
Last Post: jharback
Posted On: 33 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 73
0 S&S Stealth
Last Post: lucifer_mr2
Posted On: 39 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 11
0 Front brake won't bleed 1989 sportster
Last Post: decman
Posted On: 46 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 54
0 i need new bars please help!!!!1
Last Post: jharback
Posted On: 49 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 129
0 05 and 73
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 28
0 Not charging issue!
Last Post: tvon
Replies: 21
Views: 676
0 HAMMERPerf 90" In the Works
Last Post: jkinkade
Replies: 1,462
Views: 147,026
0 Crusty Curmudgeon’s Sportster Dictionary
Last Post: barefoot
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 40
Views: 3,358
0 Iree's jukbox joint
Last Post: Ireeman
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,824
Views: 243,230
6 Any good reason to keep a battery added to a '65 XLCH?
Last Post: Sadsack
Replies: 12
Views: 260
0 If you have European tilt
Last Post: brianbbs67
Views: 309
0 Tool Roll Help
Last Post: ReddTigger
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 52
0 HER 42 gas leaking from drain hose?
Last Post: The Crusher
Replies: 40
Views: 743
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 6,129
Views: 417,070
0 Have you ever had your drive belt (secondary drive) break
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 662
Views: 164,818
0 What Sort Of Sporty Have You Got?
Last Post: blindfredy
Replies: 1,025
Views: 260,733
0 S.Fla. shop
Last Post: the cowboy way
Replies: 11
Views: 680
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: sportytrace
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 10,054
Views: 609,431
0 Sportster Camshaft Degreeing ?
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 62
Views: 4,205
0 Back in Sporty Land
Last Post: skien
Replies: 10
Views: 255
0 Where do you ride in the lane?
Last Post: The Crusher
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 31
Views: 1,074
0 The country store
Last Post: lugster
Replies: 206
Views: 7,690
0 Redshift 575 vs Jackhammer 570
Last Post: Xl-1250r
Replies: 7
Views: 426
6 Secret photo"s of folkies loft
Last Post: Ireeman
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,453
Views: 194,608
0 Engine turns but no spark at the plugs. 05 883L
Last Post: Titaniumrust
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Views: 229
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th April 2018
I think I like Sportsters

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L (sorta) & a 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200CX
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2016
Other Motorcycle Model: XR1200X
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Screw Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I don't ever give shipping weights much credence. Within a pound or two is usually good enough for those purposes.

Here's the jiffy stands I have on hand, not currently on bikes (but they all have lost a few ounces, I'm sure, because they've been scrapped a bit through the turns).

The '07 883L:

UNKNOWN (previously thought to be 06 883C):

This is a spare I bought off eBay, I presume it's a 49722-07BHP or 49722-08BHP. It's ~10" and marked 2008 XL.
2012 - XR1200X (XR)
2016 - 1200CX Roadster (new one)
2007 - 883L/90" -current project - (Black bike)

Last edited by Screw Loose Dan; 15th April 2018 at 17:48..
Old 15th April 2018
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
sml1226 has disabled reputation

Hmm. The range between them is similar enough to the ship weight range I’ve seen so far. Not sure of any way to justify making a new shorter stand the standard equipment for the 06 R though. Especially when it changed again a year later and the 07 got the longest stand we have available.

I’m guessing the weights don’t mean a whole lot, but it would be interesting to find that they did shorten it for some oddball reason.

According to Dennis Kirk’s page for the Drag Specialties “stock length” part. It’s listed at 8” and a replacement for 50185-04C (and also 1.6lbs, so the lightest one yet by spec’d numbers). That’s the stock number for both my bike (and agrees with my measurement) and an 06 883C. Not sure if DK or DS are correct here, but if so, I need to figure out the actual source of your chrome stand, because that’s pretty much the one I need here.

I appreciate the measurements though. I’ll have to get some info from my current one whenever I get this figured out enough to swap it.
Old 15th April 2018

Screw Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Food for thought... A jiffy stand doesn't seem critical, until it breaks.

I had a jiffy stand break once, it wasn't an aftermarket one but was one that was welded (supposedly by an expert). At the time I didn't realize the MoCo had so many options and needed an "in between" length. It broke while I was pouring gas in the tank from a can, with a lit cigarette hanging out my mouth (hindsight being what it is, that was pretty stupid). Once I stopped pouring gas all over the hot engine and the bike was laying comfortably in the dirt, mother nature decided to take her shot and it started pouring rain. This all happened on the Cassiar Hwy, BC Canada - literally the middle of nowhere.

Anyway, consider how miffed you would be seeing your bike laying on it's side because you saved a few dollars on an aftermarket piece. Your bike, your choices.

BTW - I never realized until taking all those pictures yesterday that the (edit) UNKNOWN (previously thought to be 06 883C) kickstand was actually the longest, even if it's just by a little. I knew the 07 1200R and XR1200/1200CX were all about the same, but didn't realize the chrome one was a tad longer. I'll stick with the black ones, for now.

I can't think of a good way to measure, but I suspect the mounting points may have moved/changed enough to justify different lengths.

Last edited by Screw Loose Dan; 15th April 2018 at 17:50..
Old 15th April 2018
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200CB
Sportster/Buell Year: 2015
Other Motorcycle Model: CRF250L
Other Motorcycle Year: 2017
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screw Loose Dan View Post
I never realized until taking all those pictures yesterday that the 06 883C kickstand was actually the longest
The '06 883C (and 1200C, 883L, 1200L) stand is the same stand that was used in '04 and '05 on all models, including 883 ('standard'), 883R, and 1200R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screw Loose Dan View Post
I suspect the mounting points may have moved/changed enough to justify different lengths.
They made these changes:
'08: jiffy stand interlock switch,
'09: jiffy stand bracket change,
'11: "jiffy stand mount on frame changed for lean angle".

There is nothing at the end of any road better than may be found beside it. Edward Thomas (1878 - 1917)
Old 15th April 2018
Flat Track Racer

I had no intention of buying a cheap stand. No clue on Drag’s quality and whether they should be considered “cheap” but I have every intention of going HD... I just need to know what I’m chasing after here so I can order the right one.

I have to imagine the 07/8 part is the expensive one simply because it was only used on a couple of models, whereas the 09 part number was used on every XR and post-08 R, new CX included. The older number is slightly longer, but that doesn’t strike me as $60 different.

Still, I mentioned the DS part only because it seems to say the 10.5” of your “06” isn’t normal, since it mentions the length and factory part number of mine, which should be the same on an 06 883C. That definitely is the stand I’ve been looking for, but now I can’t be sure of what it is... assuming DS is citing the correct figures, which they generally do, regardless of whether their quality is up to it.
Old 15th April 2018
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Street Brawler
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Ranchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond repute

When I bought mine off eBay I spent a ton of time with a pair of calipers measuring the difference between the spring mount and the flat that rests on the ground in the pictures on the computer monitor. All of them use the same spring and pivot assy so the difference is the rest of the stand. After a while it was pretty academic that many sellers had no idea what they were selling. I'm pretty sure I posted the differences in my build thread. Do it on Dan's pics above and you'll see the difference.

Also note that the pre '04 stands were all longer and I almost bought one for S+G's

My 'R' spec one measures 4" above the spring mount and 5.5" below to the foot.
My original 'C' spec is 4" above the spring mount and 3.25" below to the foot.

Visually you can tell the difference at a glance.
Old 15th April 2018

I apologize if I added to confusion, I just went back through my notes and also looked at some old threads. It does appear the "2006 883C OEM" jiffy stand I was sold was not really what it was.

This was Brad's:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post

2005 Custom Stock Jiffystand

Looks like 8 1/2". And you can quote me on that!
Sorry if I added to the confusion. I'll update my previous posts.
Old 15th April 2018

Default Inflation!

Looking over my notes from when I purchased that "2006 883C" kickstand, we were negotiating a price. I had noted to the seller I could buy a new one for $33 from Zanotti's HD online (which is now New Castle HD). This was May 2007. At the time I would have presumed it was a 50185-04 (or whichever subsequent variant they were up to at that point).

Now, 50185-04C goes for $137.90.

Ironically, had I gotten a ~8" kickstand at the time, I probably would not have needed the welded one that broke on me.

The seller was confident it was stock.
Quote:
I have the stock OEM one from my '06 XL883, it's like new less than 50 miles
Sponsored Links
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Flat Track Racer

Dan kindly offered me the mystery chrome stand. I think it's almost too long now!

I think either of the longer black ones would be about perfect here. Good news is it's only slightly more upright than what I'd imagine to be "ideal" here, and I'm thinking I'll add some height to my suspension here soon, so it may be perfect when all said and done. I'm too lazy to go measure things to figure out where I should be for my ideal, so this is plenty good for now.

Regardless, I'm a lot happier with this than the 8" one I've been running. No more ridiculous lean, and I no longer need the massive extension piece bolted on. The long stand sits in almost the same spot as the extended tab on the short stand. Definitely cool not having to get used to finding the stand again.

So thank you Dan, and if anybody manages to figure out what the part number for the ~10.5" chrome stand is, I'm still curious.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Glad you got it and it's working out.