The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Active Threads
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: koolbreeze
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 4,470
Views: 547,793
0 Head Porting 101
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 12 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 125
0 at least RDRS
Last Post: RDHenley
Posted On: 41 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 247
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: ZCarFan
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 45,579
Views: 7,194,783
0 Powerraythor conversion
Last Post: ferretface
Replies: 39
Views: 1,611
0 To Lace or Not to Lace, or While We're Doing This...
Last Post: RDHenley
Replies: 16
Views: 656
0 98 Stator Removal / Inspection / Installation
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 74
Views: 2,063
0 BETTER Brakes for $214
Last Post: John Harper
Replies: 39
Views: 5,072
0 roadside belt change
Last Post: NLXL
Replies: 3
Views: 48
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 14,386
Views: 807,202
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 6,475
Views: 848,426
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Replies: 10,935
Views: 918,310
0 Blackstone HyperTek
Replies: 8
Views: 223
0 Crusty's Travels
Replies: 2,614
Views: 346,996
0 Transformer XR1200
Replies: 140
Views: 11,123
0 never mind
Replies: 22
Views: 1,076
0 Anyone hunting an XLCH in a Norton Featherbed Project?
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Replies: 51
Views: 2,871
0 [Ignition}Points in a 2000n evo
Last Post: lostjohnny
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 25
0 tubing strength if pressed?
Last Post: JonesL
Replies: 7
Views: 125
0 Request for recommendations: Sissy Bar for chopped fender
Last Post: Maxeffort
Replies: 3
Views: 70
0 Mild 1250 build thoughts?
Last Post: Ghostdog
Replies: 89
Views: 3,252
0 super b overflow
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 32
Views: 1,649
0 69 oil pump breather timing mark
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 232
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 15,147
Views: 1,441,096
0 SBS Project - Sportster Chop w/ Lots of Photo's
Last Post: DK Custom
Replies: 290
Views: 82,054
0 is a buell a harley
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Replies: 169
Views: 20,675
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Coz
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,594
Views: 222,223
5 HAMMER vs NRHS vs S&S Conversion Kits
Last Post: NLXL
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 86
Views: 6,892
More...
Members Birthdays
Tags
adjustment, idle mixture, ironhead sportster

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th September 2013
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1000 xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
nucklhead13 is a splendid one to beholdnucklhead13 is a splendid one to beholdnucklhead13 is a splendid one to beholdnucklhead13 is a splendid one to beholdnucklhead13 is a splendid one to beholdnucklhead13 is a splendid one to beholdnucklhead13 is a splendid one to beholdnucklhead13 is a splendid one to beholdnucklhead13 is a splendid one to beholdnucklhead13 is a splendid one to beholdnucklhead13 is a splendid one to behold
Default Idle Mixture Adjustment

My ride is a 1980 thousand CC chopper from a Sportster XL model. After the engine got rebuilt the shop sold me a S@S Super E carb. Now I'm trying to get the right jets and all the adjustments made.
Now it runs nice and smoothly around town around 3500 rpm. It's just that there are times when I let off the gas that it back fires. I put in new spark plugs right after I changed the jets to see if they would fowl. The ones taken out were fowled black. I haven't checked in a couple weeks.
I got stock exhaust pipes after an accident because they were the only ones available. I turned off the acelerator pump before I adjusted the idle mixture just like the manual says. Then I tried to adjust it. Then my ride didn't run real smoothly around town. I went ahead and shut it off again and tried to readjust the idle mixture again.
I think it is getting close, but there are times when the engine just dies when the throttle is let off.
Will that happen with the idle mixture adjusted too rich or too lean?
Old 7th September 2013
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
Other Motorcycle Model: FX
Other Motorcycle Year: 1976
Mosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond repute

Yo nuck! Hope you enjoy the time ya spend with yer chop. A pic or two of it would sure dress up this thread and give us sumpin' to look at while we're thinkin' about yer problem.

Before ya go any further with the carb, I think you need to check for leaks in the intake and the exhaust. popping on decelleration is commonly a sign of an exhaust leak. There is a lot of info in the Stickies about testing and fixing a leak.

Have you seen this...

http://www.sscycle.com/tech-info/carb-quick-guide/

Let us know what ya find. Good luck.
Old 7th September 2013
I have been revived

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1961
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1970
Other Motorcycle Model: XL CE Tribute
Other Motorcycle Year: 1977
brianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond repute

What he said and then start at S and S setting for start up and then adjust. That way you're not just stabbing in the dark.
Old 7th September 2013
Know It All

nucklhead13 is a splendid one to beholdnucklhead13 is a splendid one to beholdnucklhead13 is a splendid one to beholdnucklhead13 is a splendid one to beholdnucklhead13 is a splendid one to beholdnucklhead13 is a splendid one to beholdnucklhead13 is a splendid one to beholdnucklhead13 is a splendid one to beholdnucklhead13 is a splendid one to beholdnucklhead13 is a splendid one to beholdnucklhead13 is a splendid one to behold

Sure, I've been trying to get the right jets for my home elevation. I also have had to learn how to coat thefoam air filter because I haven't been able to find a replacement that is just like the original one. Now I got another thing to check.
Old 7th September 2013
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
Other Motorcycle Model: FX
Other Motorcycle Year: 1976
Mosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond repute

Try setting yer carb to baseline settings listed in the S&S link I posted and then do a little reading on jetting. It's not hard once ya wrap yer mind around the concepts.

But first check for those leaks - it's free to check and free to fix. Well, almost free! You might hafta buy a beer or soda to make exhaust shims...
Old 8th September 2013
Know It All

I've been trying to find the right jets for some time now. I've even kept a log file instead of write notes in some notebook. I ended up picking 26.5 as intermediate jet because the other one I got, 24, is too lean. That jet is used where I get parts, Amarillo Texas and that elevation, 2605 is only 1451 feet lower than mine. The manual says the jets are good at elevations 7000 feet different.
I use a main jet of 66 which is also used down in Amarillo. It passed the hot rod up a hill test.
I can see that learning how to adjust it right is needed. That has made me get an electronic RPM gage so I can follow the instructions in the manual. Once this skill is mastered I'll be able to adjust the carb when needed as the elevation calls for it.