The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 1977 Bright Blue
Last Post: Larry May
Posted On: 7 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 71
0 Where do you ride in the lane?
Last Post: robistro
Posted On: 12 Minutes Ago
Replies: 19
Views: 342
0 HAMMER PERFORMANCE Tech Tip Videos
Last Post: T^2
Posted On: 12 Minutes Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 417
0 HER 42 gas leaking from drain hose?
Last Post: jordan1200
Posted On: 14 Minutes Ago
Replies: 24
Views: 290
0 Mikuni HSR42
Last Post: Bulpitt
Posted On: 17 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 14
0 Where did it go?
Last Post: mwXL 2006
Posted On: 19 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 222
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: BWP 5p
Posted On: 56 Minutes Ago
Replies: 40,094
Views: 6,156,070
0 z bars
Last Post: Bryan83taco
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 78
0 Joe Minton article on HSR 42 tuning
Last Post: The Crusher
Replies: 10
Views: 2,424
0 HAMMERPerf 90" In the Works
Last Post: cycowrencher
Replies: 1,454
Views: 146,540
5 Another "new guy" rumor or fact question....
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Replies: 24
Views: 1,264
0 2001 883 'customizing' log
Last Post: Jheitt
Replies: 27
Views: 1,222
0 Problems with recently rebuilt transmission
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Replies: 81
Views: 3,984
0 My Not So Stock 1980 XLS < Brakes >
Last Post: brucstoudt
Replies: 107
Views: 6,236
0 CARB: 2024 motorcycle emission requirements; Maybe as early as 2021?
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 100
0 Sportster tour pak with Givi v47nn Tech Case
Last Post: FuriousGeorg
Replies: 6
Views: 464
0 Not charging issue!
Last Post: Jowniofownio
Replies: 0
Views: 23
0 Future of the sporty?
Last Post: hexnut
Replies: 77
Views: 2,901
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Ironhead)
Last Post: church house mark
Replies: 41
Views: 190,517
0 A Day in the Life...
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 571
Views: 48,677
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 6,094
Views: 412,525
0 Summer Bike Nights at Conshohocken Brewing!
Last Post: BILLETPROOF
Replies: 6
Views: 233
9 My 883 is a real pain in the ass
Last Post: 883openpipes
Replies: 58
Views: 2,749
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: Flame__
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 10,041
Views: 606,885
0 Intro from New England
Last Post: peteskipsleg
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 186
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Evos)
Last Post: sdsbassist
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 66,851
0 Diagnostic help
Last Post: BradX13
Replies: 14
Views: 222
0 Big bore stroker - the beginning of a 10-year long build
Last Post: RKN
Replies: 617
Views: 47,464
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 828
Views: 70,822
More...
Members Birthdays
SoCal 1200N (57), riverar7 (53), rx3732 (44), gnrxl2002 (40)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 82
Sportster/Buell Model #2: sportster xlh
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 82
Other Motorcycle Model: KZ 550
Other Motorcycle Year: 82
class of 82 is a name known to allclass of 82 is a name known to allclass of 82 is a name known to allclass of 82 is a name known to allclass of 82 is a name known to allclass of 82 is a name known to allclass of 82 is a name known to allclass of 82 is a name known to allclass of 82 is a name known to allclass of 82 is a name known to allclass of 82 is a name known to all
Default 82 sporty crank pin

well not the news I wanted to here. hauled it up to Drag Stews in Belleview Fl.

gave it a going over/bore scope and seems the crank pin is knocking on the 82 sporty.

so after debating with Stew a little on buying another used bike or investing in what I have.. I am going to invest in the 82 sporty. been riding it since 15' so

so hauled it home and start the R&R of the engine for a complete rebuild.

now is the time to do upgrades for longevity/reliability/performance.

what is the wish list of parts and mods that can be done at this time?

pistons/rods?
lifter blocks?
trap door?
shafts gears?

not looking to stroke it or race it so 61 inches with a over bore is on the hit list to start. then something about billet trap door/lifter blocks??

Is 2500-3500 a realistic budget to completely rebuild and upgrade it??

that's about what I figure it will take to buy another bike anytime soon so...

2-3 months down time waiting on engine rebuild will let me prep/paint the frame/tins & clean polish stuff up while I am waiting.

here in Fl. dog days of summer are upon us so good time to be down and get it back just in time for fall riding weather.

TIA for advice & suggestions

Old 1 Week Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond repute

There is no way to estimate the costs. You just spend money till it's done.

The costs vary depending on the level and quality of parts and outside services performed, how much of the work you can do yourself, and the level of internal wear/destruction.

Don't forget to clean the oil tank. If the crank has ate it's self up that means small bits of very hard metal have migrated through the motor and imbedded themselves into any soft metal bearings and ruined every bearing in the motor.
The lifter blocks in particular take a beating, the pistons drag bits of metal up and down the cylinders. The lifter bodies are worn, and the lifter rollers are damaged. Every bearing race and shaft that bearings roll against are compromised. EVERYTHING. Throw away every oil hose and clean the oil tank again, solvent and bottle brush with an extended handle to get into all the corners. Rinse the tank until you are certain you have gotten all the metal out. Let the metal settle out of the solvent for a couple of days and you can reuse it to wash really dirty stuff.

Often the cause of crank failure is oil contamination with fuel, lack of oil changes combined with carb issues or other causes of incomplete combustion. Even though an 82 should have an oil filter the oil needs to be changed 2 or three times a year, even more if you ride every day. Big clunky air cooled motors dirty the oil quicky even tuned and running well.
The other source of trouble is oil temperature, if you are riding in temps over 80° For best results an oil cooler and you should be using an oil that is complementary to an air/oil cooled motor, not a water cooled motor.
Old 1 Week Ago
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year: 79
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLS
60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of

This was posted 3 hours ago in Your state
https://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/d...589491850.html
Its a 80 frame, not 82 so there's haggling room.
engines 1977 till early 84 will work.
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1985
iNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond repute

I can tell you from experience not to skimp on the crank or rods. I am very hard on my bike so I can tell you it is possible to snap a pinion, I did.
First off get the engine out and tear it down. Do as much as you can yourself to save time and $$.
Once you get the crank out you can then assess the damage. don't forget to check the case for wear.
I am hoping you don't have a problem with the taper in the wheel from being loose. ( this happened to me which prompted my stroker build. )
While the crank is out check the rods for taper in the big end races , if torn that far down.

Just clean and inspect and repeat.
Old 1 Week Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: N/A
Sportster/Buell Year #2: N/A
Other Motorcycle Model: Shadow ACE 1100 Tourer
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
dans_depot is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60weight View Post
This was posted 3 hours ago in Your state
Its a 80 not 82, so there's haggling room.
engines 1977 till early 84 will work.
For $1600 I'd buy that just to have spares around, plus its a good looking bike, looks taken care of and mostly original.
Old 1 Week Ago
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year: 79
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLS
60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dans_depot View Post
For $1600 I'd buy that just to have spares around, plus its a good looking bike, looks taken care of and mostly original.
The more I look at this bike, it seems a bit fishy.
80 frame,81 up engine or at least cam cover and sprocket cover.
Maybe this is why its so cheap...so beware.
Old 6 Days Ago
Greasemonkey

class of 82 is a name known to allclass of 82 is a name known to allclass of 82 is a name known to allclass of 82 is a name known to allclass of 82 is a name known to allclass of 82 is a name known to allclass of 82 is a name known to allclass of 82 is a name known to allclass of 82 is a name known to allclass of 82 is a name known to allclass of 82 is a name known to all

that is very close by. I rather invest in my 82 and not start trouble shooting/spending cash to fix/change things on another one. I could not ride it as is.

but that would be a lot of used parts for 1600$
Old 6 Days Ago
Greasemonkey

no mod suggestions?

got to be some hot rod mods & pieces?

what's the skinny on billet pieces like trap doors, lifter blocks? is this race stuff or worth while on a street bike?

what about cams/valve train pieces?

stroking it the only thing done now days?

just trying to get a wish list going to see how big the first wheelbarrow of cash I need to get started filling the 1982 money pit.
Old 6 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLB, XLCH, Sporton
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1966
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH (Another one)
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
Ferrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond repute

First off, rebuilding will probably work out the best/cheapest in the long run. Buying another bike may just bring you another host of expensive problems. who knows with a pig in a poke ?
Rebuilding an engine takes both time and money. Once you are down to the point of splitting the cases your going to spend a lot of cas even if you throw cheap Chinese/second hand parts in there. Don't do that.
Once the engine is rebuilt if you put it back as totally stock the bike is now worth no more than just before it lost the crank pin. No one pays more for a bike that has new parts in an engine. Seriously, they don't.
With the bottom end you have to weigh up the costs of the new parts plus the labor to split the wheels and rebuild them against the cost of a new rotating assembly.
I think this is why a ew RA appeals to so many people. If you have to buy parts like crank pins, maybe a shaft, pistons etc then looking at $1600 for a RA doesn't look so bad. Plus, now when you go to sell it the bike is "Special". S&S Stroker. goes in your ad. Plus you get the benefit of riding the thing which now has a bigger grin factor.
The Sporty gearbox and clutch are fine. People buy billet doors and Andrews gears for racing but not really necessary of a street engine. Unfortunatly the IH got a bad rep for blowing gearboxes many years ago but that really was a design fault on the 900's with the speedo drive setup that weakened the C/S boss area. Later 1000's don;t have that flaw.
If you spend money on the RA assembly now later on it's a lot easier to replace clutch transmission bits as the engine doesn't have to come out of the frame and the cases don't need to be split.
So you might do the bottom end this year and next year think about replacing those bits.
If you do decide to go for a stroker (they sell stock stroke too) stay at or under 4 1/2 inch.