The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Accessories
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle Accessories Accessory problems, advice, and/or how tos (Saddle Bags, Sissy Bars, Crash bars, Mirrors, etc

Active Threads
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 2,493
Views: 190,445
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Posted On: 4 Minutes Ago
Replies: 68
Views: 3,301
0 79 Engine Rebuild
Last Post: Peteroo
Posted On: 7 Minutes Ago
Replies: 38
Views: 1,638
0 ....1
Last Post: bplinson
Posted On: 15 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4,500
Views: 207,900
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Posted On: 18 Minutes Ago
Replies: 40,862
Views: 6,264,493
0 hey y'all
Posted On: 25 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 17
0 :( New deep rebuild on my 90 inch
Last Post: conv90
Posted On: 44 Minutes Ago
Replies: 71
Views: 6,197
0 Issue that has me stumped
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 48 Minutes Ago
Replies: 34
Views: 1,201
0 wtb cam cover and primary cover for 2003 sportster
Last Post: painterdude923
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 13
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: gravydog
Replies: 1,463
Views: 144,380
0 Any K model guys interested in cam regrinding?
Last Post: sevenyears of famine
Replies: 134
Views: 9,080
0 Where to buy auto advance weights
Last Post: AkIronheadparty
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 28
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: Flame__
Replies: 10,176
Views: 645,638
0 Satisfied Hammer Performance Customers
Last Post: rider61
Replies: 127
Views: 40,965
0 Anyone go racing last weekend?
Last Post: cycowrencher
Replies: 2,625
Views: 235,773
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 7,009
Views: 499,643
0 Big bore stroker - the beginning of a 10-year long build
Last Post: kaveebee
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 696
Views: 58,804
0 Which cam?/ 551 or 570/Why?
Last Post: Turbo Sporty 48
Replies: 10
Views: 358
0 C.O.B.B run west
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 107
Views: 6,998
0 Electronic jet kit
Last Post: Folkie
Replies: 4
Views: 215
6 SPORTY BOBBER PICTURES
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 5,998
Views: 5,302,927
0 Best Riding/Motorcycle Memes-Let's see 'em!
Last Post: sportytrace
Replies: 173
Views: 23,375
0 Who can make a spare key?
Last Post: chris16371
Replies: 13
Views: 464
0 My take on the world ~ Photo by Trace
Last Post: sportytrace
Replies: 761
Views: 79,481
0 Primary/transmission synthetic oil
Last Post: Four Speed
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 169
0 How many miles are on your sporty?
Last Post: lucifer_mr2
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,125
Views: 250,845
0 Clutch Spring plate poll
Last Post: r4fthrs
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 262
Views: 46,976
0 How old are you?
Last Post: RandyMac
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 188
Views: 13,191
0 2 Up Seat Recommendations
Last Post: ReddTigger
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 289
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Hour Ago
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1991
chris16371 is a splendid one to beholdchris16371 is a splendid one to beholdchris16371 is a splendid one to beholdchris16371 is a splendid one to beholdchris16371 is a splendid one to beholdchris16371 is a splendid one to beholdchris16371 is a splendid one to beholdchris16371 is a splendid one to beholdchris16371 is a splendid one to beholdchris16371 is a splendid one to beholdchris16371 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
What do you want to measure, I just parked mine and I've got detachable sideplates which would give me the dimensions for OEM sissbars and luggage racks that would mount to them (rubbermounts).
I think I just need the width of the bottom of the sissy bar from outside edge to outside edge of where it connects to the side plates, if I'm making any sense lol.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Old 54 Minutes Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200Lr
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: FLHP
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2016
Other Motorcycle Model: 13 Guzzi V7 / 11 Duc 696
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
Bone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris16371 View Post
I think I just need the width of the bottom of the sissy bar from outside edge to outside edge of where it connects to the side plates, if I'm making any sense lol.

Ok, so the plates themselves have a small square housing on the top inside of each plate. It measures maybe 9/16" square.

The bore has two sets of bolt holes so that things can be attached.

Generally speaking luggage racks are designed to mold around that square, while the sissy bars are inserted into that square.

When both are used the bolts can be inserted to hold them both in place at the same time.

That all make sense?

On my 07 XL1200Lr with OEM detachable sideplates which have an aftermarket luggage rack attached, the inside width of the plate bores - one side to the other as shown in photos I'll attach in a second is DAMN near 9"

I'm literally measuring 8 15/16" which makes me think maybe there's a little play to that dimension on the plates, because ultimately each plate is separate and can probably tilt slightly on the mounts and the final inside width at the top is probably determined (to some small extent) by the sissybar or luggage rack itself. Though I bet there's little more than maybe a 1/16" play.

Photos:

Looking down from the top of a detachable sideplate into that square bore. In this photo an aftermarket luggage rack wraps around the bore (maybe I should have called it a post since it's square):

Here's the top of the sideplate and that bore/post from a slight angle so you can see the bolts that are securing the luggage rack to it.

Here's a view from the top and behind looking down at the top of the sideplates. The tape measure is positioned against the inside of the left plate measuring the width to the inside of the right plate (even with the outer edges of the bore/post so equivalent of the outside width of a sissybar that would just slide into those bores/posts):

Close up of the plate, bore/post and tape on the right side:

Hope that helps.
Old 47 Minutes Ago
Harley Engineer

chris16371 is a splendid one to beholdchris16371 is a splendid one to beholdchris16371 is a splendid one to beholdchris16371 is a splendid one to beholdchris16371 is a splendid one to beholdchris16371 is a splendid one to beholdchris16371 is a splendid one to beholdchris16371 is a splendid one to beholdchris16371 is a splendid one to beholdchris16371 is a splendid one to beholdchris16371 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Ok, so the plates themselves have a small square housing on the top inside of each plate. It measures maybe 9/16" square.

Generally speaking luggage racks are designed to mold around that square, while the sissy bars are inserted into that square.

When both are used the bolts can be inserted to hold them both in place at the same time.

That all make sense?

On my 07 XL1200Lr with OEM detachable sideplates which have an aftermarket luggage rack attached, the inside width of the plate bores - one side to the other as shown in photos I'll attach in a second is DAMN near 9"

I'm literally measuring 8 15/16" which makes me think maybe there's a little play to that dimension on the plates, because ultimately each plate is separate and can probably tilt slightly on the mounts and the final inside width at the top is probably determined (to some small extent) by the sissybar or luggage rack itself. Though I bet there's little more than maybe a 1/16" play.

Photos:

Looking down from the top of a detachable sideplate into that square bore. In this photo an aftermarket luggage rack wraps around the bore (maybe I should have called it a post since it's square):

Here's the top of the sideplate and that bore/post from a slight angle so you can see the bolts that are securing the luggage rack to it.

Here's a view from the top and behind looking down at the top of the sideplates. The tape measure is positioned against the inside of the left plate measuring the width to the inside of the right plate (even with the outer edges of the bore/post so equivalent of the outside width of a sissybar that would just slide into those bores/posts):

Hope that helps.
Sorry for the bad art work lol but those are the 2 dimensions I'm looking for. The blue measurement in the pic can either be taken as shown or by measuring the square on the inside of the side plates like Bone did.

I need these same measurements from anyone with a 88-03 solid mount with sissy bar.

Edit: Just seen your post with measurements, I appreciate it! I need to read over it a few more times, kind of skimmed it quick bc I'm at work.

Old 40 Minutes Ago
Harley Engineer

Quote:

That all make sense?

Photos:

Hope that helps.
I was able to read over it more. Everything was clear and very helpful. Bonus points for measuring the square on the side plates before me asking, should of known I would be needing that but thankfully you did!!

Old 38 Minutes Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200Lr
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: FLHP
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2016
Other Motorcycle Model: 13 Guzzi V7 / 11 Duc 696
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
Bone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, my dimensions are from an 04+ but you can use them to vet the other Chris's (ParrotHead's) sissybar.

On a rubbermount the yellow-to-yellow dimension is 8 15/16" +/- 1/16, and the blue dimension appears to be 9/16" (though I used a tape measure and not a sliding caliper so give me a give or take of 1/16" there too).
Old 25 Minutes Ago
Harley Engineer

Quote:
Yeah, my dimensions are from an 04+ but you can use them to vet the other Chris's (ParrotHead's) sissybar.

On a rubbermount the yellow-to-yellow dimension is 8 15/16" +/- 1/16, and the blue dimension appears to be 9/16" (though I used a tape measure and not a sliding caliper so give me a give or take of 1/16" there too).
That +/- 1/16 won't be an issue, once I get the solid mount dimensions it should be obvious if it will work with or without serious modification.