The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Lighting
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Active Threads
0 Broke my drive belt (Stay With The Belt Or Do A Chain Conversion?)
Last Post: spitfirechopper
Posted On: 51 Minutes Ago
Replies: 95
Views: 24,373
0 2021 Harley-Davidson Bronx
Last Post: spitfirechopper
Posted On: 58 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 150
0 Noise from Primary. Bike with extremely low miles
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 20
Views: 689
0 '86 1100 basket build
Last Post: Onlybckroads
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 188
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Evos)
Last Post: Onlybckroads
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 76,474
0 Stacking the Alto Carbonite clutch !
Last Post: sml1226
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 62
0 fork reflectors
Last Post: glbsportster
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 135
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 15,669
Views: 882,051
0 su carb question
Last Post: trappnman
Replies: 55
Views: 1,693
0 How much can I get for my sporty?
Last Post: IronheadPhil
Replies: 15
Views: 220
0 Anyone carry a gun while riding ?
Last Post: Kbetts
Replies: 457
Views: 82,161
0 Quick brake question...
Last Post: tussuck
Replies: 4
Views: 257
0 Plug for Siren
Last Post: brixtonanima
Replies: 0
Views: 31
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: ~Grind~
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,404
Views: 182,262
0 KT - 2020 - Where Eagles Dare
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 1,205
0 Where we are! Put yourself on the Map.
Last Post: NLXL
Replies: 148
Views: 13,916
0 high milage sportsters
Last Post: NLXL
Replies: 11
Views: 500
0 LIQUIMOLY oil additive whose using it?
Last Post: TUCCI
Replies: 0
Views: 40
2 My 1275 Hammer Conversion..
Last Post: Tomcatt
Replies: 142
Views: 6,361
0 flat earther bites dust trying to prove the earth is flat
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 11
Views: 429
0 Mid West Meet & Greet
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 169
Views: 15,392
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 16,908
Views: 1,678,851
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Proteus
Replies: 46,405
Views: 7,377,510
0 06 Roadster. Any problems? What’s it worth?
Last Post: tennmoto
Replies: 15
Views: 964
0 Bigger rear Pulley
Last Post: oldboy
Replies: 13
Views: 269
0 Modify my dyna 2ki ignition
Last Post: cycowrencher
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 224
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: vagrant318
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 6,593
Views: 891,790
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 7,948
Views: 1,635,448
0 Trans corner fix
Last Post: brucstoudt
Replies: 21
Views: 1,253
0 Official XLForum Poll: What kind of bars are you running?
Last Post: Proteus
Replies: 661
Views: 156,044
More...
Members Birthdays
nailhead (78), Rooster (63), chidovampiro (61), daniel (58), evereyken (57), RogueXR9OO (57)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th April 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Rat Bastard
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CL175-Rot'n Bastard
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
Scooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really nice
Thumbs up A LED turn signals & load balancer how-to.

I got this from Knucklebuster who got it from JJ. I thought it was a great write up and a few may be able to benefit from it here.

LED Turn Signals Story
I recently installed LED turn signals on my custom hard tail, and here is the story and some things I found out, and in particular regarding that mysterious ‘load balancer’.
My custom hard tail rides (and looks) like a dream (at least in my dreams), but with a hard mount 1200 CC Sportster engine, can really shake my teeth out at high RPM. In addition to regularly blowing the incandescent bulbs in the turn signals, the electrical setup has been not as robust as it should have been. So I decided to convert to LED turn signals while doing some re-wiring and reinforcing. LEDs are not only highly shock resistant, but have just about an infinite lifetime, and can be made quite bright (and in choice of desired signal colors, lenses and housings).
Selecting and mounting the LED turn signals is no big deal one way or another, with many 3rd party ones to choose from and with many ways to install. But as forewarned, once you install them, they do not blink. I tried it and found this to be true. The recommendation is to use a ‘load balancer’. But being schooled by my friend in true Jockey Journal manners, I set about to find out why and how, and not just blindly install.
Here is how a typical turn signals and flasher circuit looks like:

Figure 1: Typical turn signals circuitry

If all you do first is replace the bulbs with LED lights, all is normal, except the lights don’t blink when you push the turn signal switch. It turns out that the root cause is very simple. Standard bulbs, at around 20-30 watts, and at 12-14 volts, draw a couple of amps. A note on values specified in the writeup: I purposely use rough numbers, or what in engineering is called ’dimensional analysis’, since exact microamps or milliohms do not matter for the basic problem at hand here. Back to topic: normal electromechanical flashers need an amp or two to flash on and off. But LEDs draw only a few milliamps, which is not enough to activate these flashers. Hence the edict to use ‘load balancers’. So what is a ‘load balancer’? Well, turns out it is nothing but a dummy load, or more simply called: ‘a resistor’. By installing a resistor in parallel with your light, when you push the turn signal switch the resistor acts as a dummy load, drawing the amps you need in order to make the flasher work.
So here is what I did and what the circuit looks like with the resistors installed:

Figure 2: LEDs with resistors circuitry

How to pick the resistor? Resistor is voltage divided by current (ohms = volts / amps). You figure you have 12-14 volts from the battery, and you need 1 amp – so a 10 ohm resistor does the trick (remember – just dimensional analysis here). How beefy a resistor? That is important. Power equals voltages times current (watts = amps x volts), so 12-14 volts times 1 amp yields a 10 watt resistor (dimensional analysis here again – our mantra). You can get away with a lower wattage resistor because current flows through the resistor – and hence heat generated - only during the light-on duty cycle. But anything much less and you will blow the resistor soon due to the excessive heat generated. In my case I used 10 ohm 10 watt resistor for each side, and all fits and works great. But at this point in your design dimensional analysis is to stop as you get to choosing specific parts; for your exact solution you will need to measure and try different values if you are not sure, and to account for different flashers, duty cycles, and resistor types. I actually held the resistor in my hand for example while signaling for 20-30 seconds, and found it to warm up slightly but not more, so all was cool. I also tested to see if I get even and consistent flashing, which I did, at about 50% duty cycle, about 1/2 a second on, about 1/2 a second off. Good enough to hit the road!
OK, so back to that ‘load balancer’ (which we now know is nothing but a fancy name for ‘a resistor’). You can use it, and you may even like the package, or it fits best on your motorcycle. Just be aware that it needs to be connected ‘after’ the switches (i.e. on the other side of the switches from the battery and flasher). This is shown in the figure below, and since most of these balancers are dual balancers (two separate resistors in one package) I show that. Sometimes they do not simply configure well with the bike’s existing wiring, but of course you will re-wire as you need to. As far as prices, two resistors cost $2-$3 bucks at Radio Shack, and a dual load balancer costs $20-$60 bucks at various online catalog stores. By the way, the load balancer I considered first appeared to be about a 10 Watt per side (in resistors power is proportional to resistor dimensions, so one can get a rough estimate by looking at them), and each resistor was about 7 ohms.

Figure 3: Wiring with load balancer

Finally, a word about flashers. An alternative solution to allow flashing at the low amperage of LEDs, is to use a solid state flasher designed for low currents. You need to pick a 12 Volt DC one. A Google search on ’12 volt DC solid state flashers’ will give you leads on that. These things are quite expensive and often bulky, as they are intended for traffic lights, police flashers, and the like. They also require three leads per flasher: one in, one out, and one to activate the flashing from a switch. I have no experience with these, but just wanted to ‘round off’ the story.
All feedback welcome!
This write up was originally posted by Leoj on the Jockey Journal
Old 25th April 2008

Sportster/Buell Model: Rat Bastard
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CL175-Rot'n Bastard
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
Scooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really nice

Wow, guess I was the only one impressed with this write-up.
Old 5th May 2008
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Ferguson TO-30 Tractor
Other Motorcycle Year: 1953
honkytnkmn is a jewel in the roughhonkytnkmn is a jewel in the roughhonkytnkmn is a jewel in the roughhonkytnkmn is a jewel in the roughhonkytnkmn is a jewel in the roughhonkytnkmn is a jewel in the roughhonkytnkmn is a jewel in the roughhonkytnkmn is a jewel in the roughhonkytnkmn is a jewel in the roughhonkytnkmn is a jewel in the roughhonkytnkmn is a jewel in the rough

Awesome Scooter! Just plain Awesome!
Old 5th May 2008
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: Road King
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
jnlee3 is on a distinguished roadjnlee3 is on a distinguished roadjnlee3 is on a distinguished roadjnlee3 is on a distinguished roadjnlee3 is on a distinguished road

That is a good write-up. I would probably start my bike on fire if I messed with the wiring much though.
Old 28th July 2008

Sportster/Buell Model: Gone...
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: The Beast (M109R)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
snowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud of

Better late than never...

Excellent job ST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just what I was looking for...

***RIP***
--Mr. JIMI
--JOHNNY G
--BryanEOD
Old 17th August 2008
Banned

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

Just what I was looking for as well. I just got some custom bullet turn signals w/ low amperage bulbs and was encountering a similar problem. I knew I'd need to wire a resistor inline in order to fool the circuit and trigger the flasher, I just wasn't sure what resistance to start with. 10 ohms seems like a good start.
Thanks!
Old 17th August 2008
Luvs me an artsy chick...

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
cantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant future

Great write-up....I made this a sticky...

"entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

Occam's Razor...

in English: "entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity."
My definition: "The simplest answers are the most likely"

~NRHS machined 1200 conversion, shittin and gettin...

XLF Tuning Stickies

Charging system troubleshooting

Old 17th August 2008
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883 - 1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
drummerboy4as is just really nicedrummerboy4as is just really nicedrummerboy4as is just really nicedrummerboy4as is just really nicedrummerboy4as is just really nicedrummerboy4as is just really nicedrummerboy4as is just really nicedrummerboy4as is just really nicedrummerboy4as is just really nicedrummerboy4as is just really nicedrummerboy4as is just really nice

Is the resistor supposed to get hot? I mean I understand it has to expel the energy somehow, but the resistor on my setup got so hot it melted the shrink tubing and the elec. tape it was wrapped in. I'm using the tail light eliminator kit and Kuryakyn bullet LED tail/turn signals. Also no front turn signals, don't know if that has anything to do with it.
"Take most people, they're crazy about cars. They worry if they get a little scratch on them, and they're always talking about how many miles they get to a gallon, and if they get a brand-new car already they start thinking about trading it in for one that's even newer. I don't even like old cars. I mean they don't even interest me. I'd rather have a goddam horse. A horse is at least human, for God's sake." ~ Holden Caulfield

[URL="http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=175003"]Link to my NRHS build thread[/URL]

Have wrapped exhaust? [URL="http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=544763"]Please read[/URL]
[QUOTE=khaskins;2765309]"my bike scares the cars and they scream like little girls"[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=rottenralph;1773182]Bees and balls don't mix.[/QUOTE]
Old 17th August 2008
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
MonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the roughMonkeyMouse is a jewel in the rough

drummerboy you need a bigger resistor for sure! Step up the wattage, you should be able to hold that thing in your hands no problem after its been used for a while. Getting hot enough to melt electrical tape spells FIRE!
Sponsored Links
Old 17th August 2008
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200CB
Sportster/Buell Year: 2015
Other Motorcycle Model: CRF250L
Other Motorcycle Year: 2017
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

Great write up! Thanks for posting that.

There is nothing at the end of any road better than may be found beside it. Edward Thomas (1878 - 1917)