The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Active Threads
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 2 Minutes Ago
Replies: 49,865
Views: 8,147,051
0 ....1
Last Post: toe
Posted On: 4 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5,993
Views: 352,237
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 5 Minutes Ago
Replies: 27,206
Views: 2,823,561
0 0Salt Flat Sporton
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 8 Minutes Ago
Replies: 39
Views: 1,222
0 Sportsters No More?
Last Post: d10221
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 298
0 Ultima Ignition Issues
Last Post: Serious Blac
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 720
0 How many helmets?
Last Post: Marsikus
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 211
Views: 44,221
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 20,279
Views: 1,207,150
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: ~Grind~
Replies: 1,830
Views: 265,032
0 Shovster build take2
Last Post: billeuze
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 93
Views: 4,816
0 RSD Front Pulley Cover Install?
Last Post: sml1226
Replies: 1
Views: 52
0 This place still sucks!!!
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 44
Views: 739
0 Rear shocks ?
Last Post: Brad
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 398
0 Can't clear unread messages
Last Post: Brad
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 529
0 Cali Carb 1989 883
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 65
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: Maxeffort
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 8,290
Views: 1,817,167
0 Can you ID this bike?
Last Post: Bigshankhank
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 607
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 7,541
Views: 1,162,065
0 RIDE REPORT During Covid, 13 States & Some Spectacular Riding
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 67
Views: 6,734
0 Cant find (2001 Jugs/Pistons On 2005 Engine?)
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Replies: 4
Views: 221
0 Mimi the Deerslayer: the triple threat
Last Post: thecarfarmer
Replies: 33
Views: 2,010
0 Upside Down Monoshock IH - A Longterm Project
Last Post: paulc
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 275
Views: 52,708
0 Tire Pressure 1979 XLH
Last Post: Scuba10jdl
Replies: 5
Views: 283
0 Rear Sprockets
Last Post: hbkeith
Replies: 3
Views: 110
0 1250 Unhappiness 2020 edition
Last Post: Turbo Sporty 48
Replies: 62
Views: 2,959
0 New Dakota Digital speedo/tach...
Last Post: TheBreeze
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 565
0 Chinese S&S carbs
Last Post: Serious Blac
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 224
Views: 18,836
0 Another Test In REAL Snow, More in-depth than...
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 17 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 151
0 Hard to find Neutral
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 19 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 253
4 Rear Lighting WIRING help
Last Post: jsaintmartin
Posted On: 19 Hours Ago
Replies: 19
Views: 573
More...
Tags
air cleaner, air filter, breather

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th February 2010
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley Heritage
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
Shu has a brilliant futureShu has a brilliant futureShu has a brilliant futureShu has a brilliant futureShu has a brilliant futureShu has a brilliant futureShu has a brilliant futureShu has a brilliant futureShu has a brilliant futureShu has a brilliant futureShu has a brilliant future

The heads breather bolts allow for the engine crankcase pressure to be vented. HD uses hollow bolts into the air cleaner and the oily mist is sucked into the engine via the carb/TB and burnt. You must vent the heads or your crankcase will build pressure and cause gasket failures not to mention the loss in power...they are NEEDED.

Some air cleaners are not set up to allow for the breather bolts into them and are only held on by the three small carb front bolts. For these breathers you would need to get a head breather kit and carb support bracket. The breather kit routes the head vents to the ground while the carb support bracket keeps the carb in the intake.

I think the S&S requires the use of the breather kit but has the carb support feature built into the backing plate.

Search through the Drag Specialites fatbook for carb support bracket and head breather kit and you should be able to understand better how they work.

GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
Screamin' Eagle 10:1 pistons
Stage 2 883 heads
Screamin' Eagle .497" cams
Screamin' Eagle Mikuni HSR42
Thunderheader
Forcewinder
Old 24th February 2010
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
drvsafe is just really nicedrvsafe is just really nicedrvsafe is just really nicedrvsafe is just really nicedrvsafe is just really nicedrvsafe is just really nicedrvsafe is just really nicedrvsafe is just really nicedrvsafe is just really nicedrvsafe is just really nicedrvsafe is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shu View Post
The heads breather bolts allow for the engine crankcase pressure to be vented. HD uses hollow bolts into the air cleaner and the oily mist is sucked into the engine via the carb/TB and burnt. You must vent the heads or your crankcase will build pressure and cause gasket failures not to mention the loss in power...they are NEEDED.

Some air cleaners are not set up to allow for the breather bolts into them and are only held on by the three small carb front bolts. For these breathers you would need to get a head breather kit and carb support bracket. The breather kit routes the head vents to the ground while the carb support bracket keeps the carb in the intake.

I think the S&S requires the use of the breather kit but has the carb support feature built into the backing plate.

Search through the Drag Specialites fatbook for carb support bracket and head breather kit and you should be able to understand better how they work.
Does this apply to EFI bike as well? The reason I ask is because I have read and been told that when installing the S&S Tear Drop AC on an EFI Bike, you eliminate the carb support.
'07 Vivid Black 883C - Mustang Vintage Solo and pillion, some Willie G and some other chrome shtuff, X2 grips, Lick's Black Solo Bag, K&N kit, Cobra Speedster Slashdown pipes and remap. . .More to come...SHWEEET!!!
Old 24th February 2010
Super Moderator

Shu has a brilliant futureShu has a brilliant futureShu has a brilliant futureShu has a brilliant futureShu has a brilliant futureShu has a brilliant futureShu has a brilliant futureShu has a brilliant futureShu has a brilliant futureShu has a brilliant futureShu has a brilliant future

I think the EFI throttle body would still need a support bracket of some whether built into the carb backing plate or a separate part. When you look at your TB, air cleaner and how the TB is attached to the intake manifold, what does it look like? Picture?
Old 24th February 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Hagen is just really niceHagen is just really niceHagen is just really niceHagen is just really niceHagen is just really niceHagen is just really niceHagen is just really niceHagen is just really niceHagen is just really niceHagen is just really niceHagen is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvsafe View Post
Can I ask an absolute Newbie question?

What IS a breather bolt's purpose? I mean I have an '07 883C, with a standard ham can AC and a K&N Drop in filter. I am looking to swap it out to an S&S Tear Drop AC this spring. Neither set up is ever seen with those breather bolts, so I know they are not NEEDED. But what purpose do they serve? I've searched the internet for even a definition and have not been able to find one. I know that I can ask this question HERE and not be looked down upon for asking it...

So, hit me....breather bolt....Let's take our first call..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shu View Post

To illustrate on what Shu Posted:

Here is your ham can without the filter. The center gold looking thing is your intake. The two bolts on either side of it are your breather bolts that go into the heads of your motor and let the oily stuff come out. With the stock configuration this stuff is vented right back into your intake. Bad juju.

Here is a pic of the stock breather bolts on the right, and the after market ones on the left. (Drag Specialties kit) As you can see the holes are much bigger and allow more gunk to get out of the motor. Which is a good thing.

Here is a pic of the heads and intake with nothing on them at all. Just to show you what it looks like. There are 3 holes here that you can see one on either head is where the breather bolts go, and one in the center above the intake for the bracket to hold everything together.

Here is a pic of whats needed for 07 and up. Bracket on the far right (Stock Bracket that came on the bike), Breather bolts, banjo things (I forget the correct term but they go on the breather bolt to give you a place to put a hose) and some thread lock and some gasket maker. (the gasket maker isn't really needed I just used it for piece of mind inbetween the bracket and the heads) and Fiber washers to go on either side of the banjo type things.

here it is assembled. Bracket on top, with breather bolts installed waiting for the line to be attached.

Here is a pic of the completed assembly. breather is hanging underneath the intake.

Picture of the finished product.

All said and done you can't see any of the breather parts behind the new mounting plate... just the way I like it. This set up is on my 09 so it will be the same as your 07. Just imagine a tear drop backplate on there instead of my NRHS Hurricane one.
Old 24th February 2010

drvsafe is just really nicedrvsafe is just really nicedrvsafe is just really nicedrvsafe is just really nicedrvsafe is just really nicedrvsafe is just really nicedrvsafe is just really nicedrvsafe is just really nicedrvsafe is just really nicedrvsafe is just really nicedrvsafe is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagen View Post
To illustrate on what Shu Posted:

Here is your ham can without the filter. The center gold looking thing is your intake. The two bolts on either side of it are your breather bolts that go into the heads of your motor and let the oily stuff come out. With the stock configuration this stuff is vented right back into your intake. Bad juju.

Here is a pic of the stock breather bolts on the right, and the after market ones on the left. (Drag Specialties kit) As you can see the holes are much bigger and allow more gunk to get out of the motor. Which is a good thing.

Here is a pic of the heads and intake with nothing on them at all. Just to show you what it looks like. There are 3 holes here that you can see one on either head is where the breather bolts go, and one in the center above the intake for the bracket to hold everything together.

Here is a pic of whats needed for 07 and up. Bracket on the far right (Stock Bracket that came on the bike), Breather bolts, banjo things (I forget the correct term but they go on the breather bolt to give you a place to put a hose) and some thread lock and some gasket maker. (the gasket maker isn't really needed I just used it for piece of mind inbetween the bracket and the heads) and Fiber washers to go on either side of the banjo type things.

here it is assembled. Bracket on top, with breather bolts installed waiting for the line to be attached.

Here is a pic of the completed assembly. breather is hanging underneath the intake.

Picture of the finished product.

All said and done you can't see any of the breather parts behind the new mounting plate... just the way I like it. This set up is on my 09 so it will be the same as your 07. Just imagine a tear drop backplate on there instead of my NRHS Hurricane one.
Holy shamolies, that is the most concise, plain English definition of this area of the bike I have ever seen. The pictures explain it perfectly. I have about as COMPLETE an understanding of this area now as I ever will without actually striping the parts down and getting dirty. thanks much. What kills me is that my bike is in storage and I can't get to this until spring thaw.

So from what I gather, I will purchase the kit from S&S, it will come with everything I need, I notice that I will be using the stock breather as from what I see, the S&S kit doesn't come with it as demonstrated here...correct?

Last edited by drvsafe; 24th February 2010 at 22:48..
Old 24th February 2010
Senior Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L Superlow
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
Sportster/Buell Model #2: FLHTKL Limited Low
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2015
Other Motorcycle Model: FLSTN Softail Deluxe
Other Motorcycle Year: 2011
funnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond repute

I can't understand why anyone would want that breather in a position where it would drip onto the engine. I routed mine just above the intake, so any oil drip blowing would eventually find its way back to where it belongs...

Last edited by funnythebunny; 24th February 2010 at 22:47.. Reason: additional closeup
Old 24th February 2010
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200CB
Sportster/Buell Year: 2015
Other Motorcycle Model: CRF250L
Other Motorcycle Year: 2017
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Can I ask an absolute Newbie question?

What IS a breather bolt's purpose? I mean I have an '07 883C, with a standard ham can AC and a K&N Drop in filter. I am looking to swap it out to an S&S Tear Drop AC this spring. Neither set up is ever seen with those breather bolts, so I know they are not NEEDED. But what purpose do they serve? I've searched the internet for even a definition and have not been able to find one. I know that I can ask this question HERE and not be looked down upon for asking it...

So, hit me....breather bolt....Let's take our first call..
Yes they are, the stock a/c is fixed to the heads with breather bolts. As is the S&S, or its brackets are, anyway. The breather bolts purpose is to route the breather gasses to wherever you want them to go, and also supports the a/c, either directly, as with the stock a/c, or using a bracket or brackets.

There is nothing at the end of any road better than may be found beside it. Edward Thomas (1878 - 1917)
Old 24th February 2010
Super Moderator

Quote:
Holy shamolies, that is the most concise, plain English definition of this area of the bike I have ever seen. The pictures explain it perfectly. I have about as COMPLETE an understanding of this area now as I ever will without actually striping the parts down and getting dirty. thanks much. What kills me is that my bike is in storage and I can't get to this until spring thaw.

So from what I gather, I will purchase the kit from S&S, it will come with everything I need, I notice that I will be using the stock breather as from what I see, the S&S kit doesn't come with it as demonstrated here...correct?
I agree that is the best pictorial i could imagine on this topic. Thank you. WOW I never knew the new bikes stock breather bolts were that small in diameter for breathing.!!! Holy crap that is restrictive. When it is idling how much pressure is coming out of those?

That S&S kit that you reference is complete with banjo's and bolts etc and carb support brackets. You will not need to use any of the stock parts.
Old 24th February 2010
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200CB
Sportster/Buell Year: 2015
Other Motorcycle Model: CRF250L
Other Motorcycle Year: 2017
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnythebunny View Post
I can't understand why anyone would want that breather in a position where it would drip onto the engine. I routed mine just above the intake, so any oil drip blowing would eventually find its way back to where it belongs...
If by 'where it belongs', you mean: back in the motor, then that won't happen, as the oil would have to go uphill to get back in the rockers, and there are umbrella valves there which are specifically designed to stop anything getting back in. All you are doing is blocking your breather lines with oil.
Old 24th February 2010

does anyone have photos detailing the installation of the S&S tear drop AC on an EFI Sporty? I know I am asking for specifics here, but hey you never know.