The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
5 Do you have a Facebook Acct?
Last Post: cal43
Posted On: 22 Minutes Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 237
0 My '05 1200C (insert clever title here)
Posted On: 25 Minutes Ago
Replies: 218
Views: 49,391
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Posted On: 48 Minutes Ago
Replies: 49,942
Views: 8,164,028
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Posted On: 49 Minutes Ago
Replies: 27,361
Views: 2,849,163
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 20,465
Views: 1,215,690
0 1977 Sporster - Clutch ramp and ball assembly
Last Post: wiltybob
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 140
0 Throttle Cable help needed
Last Post: dodgetrucken
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 70
0 Do you use premium gas in your Sportster?
Last Post: Brad
Replies: 1,846
Views: 401,825
0 Broken chain
Last Post: ironbar
Replies: 9
Views: 186
0 2018 Iron 1275 Project
Last Post: yelladox
Replies: 14
Views: 1,407
0 04 883
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 208
0 Gender sensitivity:
Replies: 20
Views: 718
0 "The Blues" thread!
Replies: 985
Views: 109,241
0 Mimi the Deerslayer: the triple threat
Last Post: thecarfarmer
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 38
Views: 2,517
0 Rear Sprockets
Last Post: Steve9
Replies: 9
Views: 460
0 Hello from Virginia
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 12
Views: 121
0 1250 or 1275 Pistons and Cylinders
Last Post: Turbo Sporty 48
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 263
0 This is gonna hurt.
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 8,342
Views: 1,827,863
0 Stock vs. Modified
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 299
Views: 106,658
0 Lets see your off season builds
Last Post: madnss
Replies: 1,618
Views: 237,686
0 V.o.e.s
Last Post: madnss
Replies: 21
Views: 916
0 1250 Unhappiness 2020 edition
Last Post: Tomcatt
Replies: 99
Views: 6,703
0 Fixing or replacing primary cover for a 1975 xlh?
Last Post: Jberg93
Views: 539
0 Rocker arms bolts
Last Post: The Doctor71
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Views: 178
0 83 XLH w/Velorex 562
Last Post: ferretface
Replies: 25
Views: 1,610
0 Different Methods of Aligning Rear-End
Last Post: robbie202
Replies: 73
Views: 14,937
0 Rubbermount Poll
Last Post: Newbeme
Replies: 257
Views: 84,883
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 7,563
Views: 1,167,040
0 Headlight Modulator
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 112
Views: 27,631
0 cam clearance in cam cover bushings
Last Post: Jaime1840
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 39
Views: 2,695
More...
Members Birthdays
max maxwell (73), hdphil (72), nsc (70), Tomo (66), harleychic (64), MA1 (58), sportynut (55), baka1969 (52), m0trh3d (48), edgeofinsanity, eyecandycustoms (41), SquidAEH37 (34)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th January 2014
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 84 xl paughco rigid
Other Motorcycle Model: 70 xlch
mct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to all
Default gonna make it shift on the proper side?

buy proper I mean right
Old 7th January 2014
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
deedub97gt is a jewel in the roughdeedub97gt is a jewel in the roughdeedub97gt is a jewel in the roughdeedub97gt is a jewel in the roughdeedub97gt is a jewel in the roughdeedub97gt is a jewel in the roughdeedub97gt is a jewel in the roughdeedub97gt is a jewel in the roughdeedub97gt is a jewel in the roughdeedub97gt is a jewel in the roughdeedub97gt is a jewel in the rough

im throwing that option around. im not really sure how to do that.
Old 15th November 2014
Know It All

deedub97gt is a jewel in the roughdeedub97gt is a jewel in the roughdeedub97gt is a jewel in the roughdeedub97gt is a jewel in the roughdeedub97gt is a jewel in the roughdeedub97gt is a jewel in the roughdeedub97gt is a jewel in the roughdeedub97gt is a jewel in the roughdeedub97gt is a jewel in the roughdeedub97gt is a jewel in the roughdeedub97gt is a jewel in the rough

My god, where to start...where to start

Okay lets start with that engine i took down to my builder. that mother -I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!-er packed up his shit and left. its been about a year and i havent heard from him about the motor at all. his house is vacant. no idea where he dissapeared to with $350 and my motor. But i have others. But im not going to a backyard mechanic again. so i had to SAVE!

Got close to saving up what i needed to go to a shop and BAM! My fiancee runs off with a guy I considered my best friend and brother. so now i had all the bills to take car of by myself....bye bye savings lol. Anyways i was able to get back on my feet after a few months and was able to pick this build back up where I left off.

OKAY! enough sob story and feeling sorry for myself. I live in Jacksonville FL and work in Mayport FL. There is a new shop that opened up a few months back called Dirtbag Choppers, heard nothing but good from them so i gave them a call. Down here everywhere I called they wanted $1500 or more to 110% rebuild an ironhead motor. Jeff, owner of Dirtbag, said he would do it for $1200. And if i had any spare parts to bring them in and we can talk prices. I showed up at his shop with my 72 ironhead engine and a truckload of parts. ended up taking what he wanted and credited me $600 for it.

A short three weeks later and I get a phone call to pick it up! Along with multiple phone calls every time anything of question was brought up. I cant speak highly enough of these guys. Really helped me out.

It sat for about a week until i could get paid and i started picking up the things needed, wire, heat shrink, fuses, bolts, connections, the stuff you never think about.

And i did my once over on the engine before i threw it in the frame. found a hole in the bottom of the cam chest that would obviously leak oil all damn day long! I think it was plugged but when I trimmed the cam chest I ground the lead plug out on accident. Anyways took the cover off and tapped it out and put a plug in it. Easy day just time consuming.

After that it was time to put the motor in. Female friend of mine left a pink blanket thing out in the garage. was the perfect size to set the frame and engine on!

And here is how the Cluster -I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!- sits RIGHT NOW!

Long night last night but it was VERY productive!

Still have a lot of work to do. wiring, cables, brakes, to name a few. Anyways I should be back to semi regular updates now lol.
Old 15th November 2014
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1966
Sportster/Buell Year: xlch
tizard is on a distinguished roadtizard is on a distinguished road
Default fine lookn machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedub97gt View Post
My god, where to start...where to start

Okay lets start with that engine i took down to my builder. that mother -I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!-er packed up his shit and left. its been about a year and i havent heard from him about the motor at all. his house is vacant. no idea where he dissapeared to with $350 and my motor. But i have others. But im not going to a backyard mechanic again. so i had to SAVE!

Got close to saving up what i needed to go to a shop and BAM! My fiancee runs off with a guy I considered my best friend and brother. so now i had all the bills to take car of by myself....bye bye savings lol. Anyways i was able to get back on my feet after a few months and was able to pick this build back up where I left off.

OKAY! enough sob story and feeling sorry for myself. I live in Jacksonville FL and work in Mayport FL. There is a new shop that opened up a few months back called Dirtbag Choppers, heard nothing but good from them so i gave them a call. Down here everywhere I called they wanted $1500 or more to 110% rebuild an ironhead motor. Jeff, owner of Dirtbag, said he would do it for $1200. And if i had any spare parts to bring them in and we can talk prices. I showed up at his shop with my 72 ironhead engine and a truckload of parts. ended up taking what he wanted and credited me $600 for it.

A short three weeks later and I get a phone call to pick it up! Along with multiple phone calls every time anything of question was brought up. I cant speak highly enough of these guys. Really helped me out.

It sat for about a week until i could get paid and i started picking up the things needed, wire, heat shrink, fuses, bolts, connections, the stuff you never think about.

And i did my once over on the engine before i threw it in the frame. found a hole in the bottom of the cam chest that would obviously leak oil all damn day long! I think it was plugged but when I trimmed the cam chest I ground the lead plug out on accident. Anyways took the cover off and tapped it out and put a plug in it. Easy day just time consuming.

After that it was time to put the motor in. Female friend of mine left a pink blanket thing out in the garage. was the perfect size to set the frame and engine on!

And here is how the Cluster -I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!- sits RIGHT NOW!

Long night last night but it was VERY productive!

Still have a lot of work to do. wiring, cables, brakes, to name a few. Anyways I should be back to semi regular updates now lol.
Old 16th November 2014
Know It All

, Here is how she will sit tonight. Doesnt look like a lot but it actaully is. Ignition is done oil lines ran all the mounts are on and tourqed and wiring is started

Now please excuse me while i drink an un-responsible amount of alcohol and watch football!
Old 18th December 2014
Know It All

Alright. i feel sort of bad for how long these updates are taking. lol. but im working around 18 hours a day 6 days a week here. doing what i can! lol.

It sat for a few weeks since the last update. and i started wiring...and i HATE wiring lol. its not hard, especially on an ironhead. but its still not my forte'.

I also feel bad that i havent been stopping and taking pictures while im working. just been drinking beer relaxing and tinkering.

Anyways monday i went ahead and got the clutch cable on and adjusted. i think its a little tight but i like it that way! Illl adjust it more precisely once the damn thing moves.

Also had a problem with one of my primary bolt holes. Had to CAREFULLY tap it and clean it out. just 45 years of gunk in there. so now primary isnt leaking!

Here is how she sat when i headed inside for bed that night.

The next day i said screw it and sat down and finished wiring All of the few wires i had left anyways. hooked everything up. turned the key LIGHTS! poured a little oil in each cylinder and pushed the button SHE CRANKED! moving right along!

Only thing is i cant tell if oil is circulating. the horseshoe tank wont let me see the return. actually as im typing this i just realized i can just pop the return line off and see what comes out. so i might do that in a minute its cheap and easy! And here is how she sat when i went to bed tuesday night!

This weekend im going to weld a frame for my rear fender, and work on mounting it better. it flexes with my 120 pound girlfriend on there. when my 225 lbs fat ass bounces back and lands on the fender ill rip the tire apart lol.

And since i have to do a lot of metal work saturday anyways, making a smoker for a buddy in exchange for a home brewing set up. i figured i might as well play with the finder.
Old 18th December 2014
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh 1000 69 79 xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 80 FXE 82FLH 83FXR
Other Motorcycle Model: 78FLH 79xlch 96xl 79xlh
randy3934 has a brilliant futurerandy3934 has a brilliant futurerandy3934 has a brilliant futurerandy3934 has a brilliant futurerandy3934 has a brilliant futurerandy3934 has a brilliant futurerandy3934 has a brilliant futurerandy3934 has a brilliant futurerandy3934 has a brilliant futurerandy3934 has a brilliant futurerandy3934 has a brilliant future

I like it, loosen one of the top end oil tubes and crank, that'll tell you if you're pumping or not.
Old 19th December 2014
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Icefire has a spectacular aura aboutIcefire has a spectacular aura aboutIcefire has a spectacular aura aboutIcefire has a spectacular aura aboutIcefire has a spectacular aura aboutIcefire has a spectacular aura aboutIcefire has a spectacular aura aboutIcefire has a spectacular aura aboutIcefire has a spectacular aura aboutIcefire has a spectacular aura about

Looking good, hope it's on the road soon...
Keith Black .010 over pistons, Andrews PB+ cams, Accel Supercoil, solid core wires, rejetted Keihin Butterfly carb, S&S air cleaner, Unleaded conversion, valve job, heads bored, new rocker arms, rockers, pushrods, seals, Accel Cyclelite Platinum plugs, Accel 8.8 mm plug wires, Big Boar BB1000 battery, O-ring chain, upgraded handlebar controls,Maxxis tires, GMA front brake, drilled disk, Mustang seat, custom grips, Skull point cover, skull gas cap, RunRoader exhaust pipes, pullback drag bars, etc…
Old 22nd December 2014
Know It All

Alright. So Friday i ended up at a local marine MC clubhouse then about 10:30 i ended up at a strip club with some buddies. Then about 3am my buddies house turned into the strip club after party. and i punched the clock for work at 7am saturday. needless to say i did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING that day after work. except slept.

so sunday around noon i made my way into the garage. took the fender off the bike and spend the day making it more sturdy. first thing i did was take a grinder to it and strip all the paint.

Then i had to think of a way to get this 5/16" steel rod to fit the outline of the fender lol. I have a map gas torch but it was just taking way too damn long. so i reverted to my tried and true charcoal fire. cot the coals hot and threw the metal rods on it. BAM starts pouring rain. At this point i figured im not supposed to use heat for this. so i stuck the rods in a vice and cut about 3/4ths of the way through them. and just bent them back and fourth until they fit.

worked pretty good! spot welded a few spots and finessed it in place with a hammer. and now it went from flexing when my 120 # girl sat on it to where i can stand on it and jump a little and it doesnt flex at all. Im not a professional welder and not sure how to test things, but ill say its good. lol.

tomorrow i think im going to throw around the idea of putting an oil filter some place. and paint the fender.
Old 22nd December 2014
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: cb750 hardtail/rat bike
Other Motorcycle Year: 7175
1980hdsporster is a name known to all1980hdsporster is a name known to all1980hdsporster is a name known to all1980hdsporster is a name known to all1980hdsporster is a name known to all1980hdsporster is a name known to all1980hdsporster is a name known to all1980hdsporster is a name known to all1980hdsporster is a name known to all1980hdsporster is a name known to all1980hdsporster is a name known to all

Holy big weld, I can see why it wouldn't flex, is that a flux weld? Looks like a double shielded flux weld like we use to weld oil rigs with lol, then again could just be the pic playing tricks on me, that and it's 5am right now lol, looks good tho, shouldn't have any problems with it now. Lol