The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Active Threads
0 S&S Super E jets for 74 XLCH
Last Post: paulc
Posted On: 59 Minutes Ago
Replies: 23
Views: 649
0 Sportster Street Tracker GSXR Fork Swap!
Last Post: sml1226
Posted On: 59 Minutes Ago
Replies: 19
Views: 3,797
0 23 years old just bought a 1980 XLH
Last Post: 1977iron
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 29
Views: 1,039
0 Gasket goo or not to goo
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 1
Views: 35
0 Think my stator needs replaced
Last Post: THEWILDONE
Replies: 18
Views: 863
0 Clutch WILL NOT adjust to disengage!
Last Post: THEWILDONE
Replies: 32
Views: 2,196
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 43,544
Views: 6,801,557
0 My 1250 to 1275 build
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 55
Views: 2,317
0 Coil location
Last Post: JonesL
Replies: 4
Views: 91
0 Resistor vs Copper plug wires?
Last Post: JonesL
Replies: 16
Views: 389
0 Here's how I screwed something up today.
Last Post: SHAKY DAVE
Replies: 7
Views: 694
0 I have been busy... 1975 sporty, stretched w/evo
Last Post: ericfx1984
Replies: 3
Views: 312
0 DK Custom ***Coupon Code - 10% Savings*** Limited Time
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Views: 60
0 T bars or Apehangers???
Last Post: spitfirechopper
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 44
Views: 18,906
0 Lets See Your Nightster
Last Post: sportytrace
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 3,841
Views: 2,959,427
0 77 xlh front end front vibration
Last Post: 1Scooter
Replies: 6
Views: 309
0 Just wanted to thank everyone
Last Post: jordan1200
Replies: 10
Views: 176
0 Evo sporty straw diagonal measurement... 883? 1200?
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Views: 50
7 Saying hello and getting acquainted!
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 208
0 78 sportster electric issues
Last Post: Mrhorn12
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 31
0 BETTER Brakes for $214
Last Post: NLXL
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 3,217
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: clif02
Replies: 10,850
Views: 960,574
0 Lets see your off season builds
Last Post: cycowrencher
Replies: 1,306
Views: 167,659
0 Helmets Please...
Last Post: Akdawg
Replies: 230
Views: 52,684
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 3,986
Views: 452,719
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: LLOYD883
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 5,872
Views: 733,823
0 Regulator battery draw
Last Post: Sportster-92
Replies: 15
Views: 546
0 Best Bang for your Buck Exhaust option?
Last Post: seajay
Replies: 17
Views: 456
0 Happy Birthday Decman!!!
Last Post: Glamazon
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 111
0 beware of buzzards
Last Post: Glamazon
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 404
More...
Members Birthdays
Durockrolly (61), xlch1973 (57), Rich_Alfredo (57), ehenry (55), 100thHugger (54), evobrian (52), jethrosurfs (47), Chris B. (43), Ebmomma (43)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th August 2013
OzChick

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 08
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Bobber
Other Motorcycle Year: 2017
sportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond repute
Default My six year refresh adventure

Six years ago to the day I was riding Nyx home for the first time. My how time flies.... I've been hanging around here even longer than that

So anyhow, to mark six years of togetherness, I'm giving her a bit of a refresh. This thread is to document my adventure including the trials, tribulations and hopefully successes as I install the various parts I've collected for her.

The list (so far) includes:
Ricor Shocks
Iron bars and new grips
Hammer 560 cams
Bobcat exhaust
Brembo brake upgrade

I started on the weekend with the Ricor Shocks

I actually "broke-in" these Ricor shocks on Screw Loose Dan's pretty 1200R when I was in the US last month. I was very happy with them, and while I was eager to get them on Nyx, I was stalled when I found I no longer had the required hardware (I'd been running lowering blocks with 13.5" S shocks that had different length bolts). A visit to Harley didn't help me out as they only had one lower shock bolt in stock And well, funnily enough, it isn't all that easy to obtain Imperial sized hardware in Australia... (I've put that in bold as I feel it may be a recurring theme in this refresh )

But I did manage to obtain some last week and over the weekend got the shocks installed. It wasn't without some dramas with spacers, so for the moment at least, the belt guard is off.

Next on the list were these new bars and grips.

Nothing fancy, but comfortable and practical. But of course this is about where the story gets derailed again. The screws on my switch housing were very rusted and not in good condition. I'd tried some penetrating fluid over night, and did have success on removing three out of four screws without drama. But of course I still managed to round out the last one to the point where I couldn't get the sucker out. So after getting advice and giving it some consideration, I took a few deep steadying breaths and drilled out the head of the screw.

Finally got it off there!

Only some superficial grinding on the housing. Hopefully won't be too noticeable with a replacement screw. Which of course leads back to that sentence... only I now need to also add ON A SUNDAY it isn't all that easy to obtain Imperial sized hardware in Australia.

So this is where installment 1 of this thread ends while I wait on some free days and some more hardware... no riding to work this week it seems. I can't get my Vibranators out of my stock bars either, so am contemplating whether to order another set. But in the meantime I'll close out with a photo of what's left of the culprit that will keep me on four wheels this week.

Work/Life Balance? Just work more at Living!
Nyx: 08 XLN~ 90" Dyno Results; 90" of Street-based FUN coming downunder; My six year refresh adventure
TBob: 2017 Triumph Bobber; Making a Decision on a New Bike
Muse: 1982 Honda CBX Shed Find
Photography: My take on the world

Last edited by sportytrace; 29th August 2013 at 21:40.. Reason: Added link
Old 26th August 2013
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1250R Hammer Performance
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
leo is a splendid one to beholdleo is a splendid one to beholdleo is a splendid one to beholdleo is a splendid one to beholdleo is a splendid one to beholdleo is a splendid one to beholdleo is a splendid one to beholdleo is a splendid one to beholdleo is a splendid one to beholdleo is a splendid one to beholdleo is a splendid one to behold

wow, that sucks that you have to wait.
hope you get your hardware soon.
nice upgrades.
Old 26th August 2013
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200L
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
BKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond repute

Working on a Sporty is kinda like doing a plumbing job in the house; no matter how well you plan & think you've collected everything you need for the job, you still end up making 6 trips to the store for stuff. lol Good luck, Trace.
Old 26th August 2013
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

hmmmm..

if I dropped them into the mail to day, how long do you suppose it will take to get to au ?

i have several, and some in stainless if you're interested.

States I've Ridden in

71.3 hp 70.8 tq

1208cc 11.09:1 (Wiseco 10° Dome 10.5:1 .010 over) ,Screamin Eagle Dual Plug Heads (10° 61cc), Original SE A/C, Vance & Hines Straight Shots w/ Custom Baffles. SE 6800 ign, Dual BREMBO brakes/ Pirelli Night Dragon MU85-16 Rear - 100/90-19 Front. Progressive Springs & 412 HD 13½" Chrome Shocks, 5½" pullback riser w/ "reddtigger mount", Stebel Nautilus Compact Air horn, Mustang Vintage Super Wide Touring Seat, Alto Carbonite Clutch
Old 26th August 2013
an obsession handed down

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
rubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant futurerubyred has a brilliant future

What he said^^^^. I have lots of screws as well. If we can purchase anything for you and get it to you faster, then that's the ticket. EVERY TIME I do something on Ruby, it NEVER goes as easy as it's supposed too.

Taxes are paid!

...Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...~Robert Hunter/Jerry Garcia
Old 26th August 2013
I think I like Sportsters

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L (sorta) & a 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200CX
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2016
Other Motorcycle Model: XR1200X
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Screw Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond repute

The stupid part, I have piles (literally) of stainless hardware for the hand controls. She was recently here and I knew she would be doing this. I knew she had replaced this hardware before, I didn't realize it wasn't with stainless, otherwise I'm sure I would have sent some along. But, that will be remedied soon enough.
2012 - XR1200X (XR)
2016 - 1200CX Roadster (new one)
2007 - 883L/90" -current project - (Black bike)
Old 26th August 2013
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Trace, my "Ol' Orange" is slowly evolving. As each facet of maintenance or upgrade is handled I've been elimanating all "Phillips", and "Torx" head fasteners. My primary, derby cover and now handlebar controls all sport s.s. allenhead screws. Looks like you may be receiving some small packages in the mail?
I.B.A.#26543, Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing!

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/starthttp://xlforum.net/forums/images/editor/quote.gif
Old 26th August 2013
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterpaul View Post
Trace, my "Ol' Orange" is slowly evolving. As each facet of maintenance or upgrade is handled I've been elimanating all "Phillips", and "Torx" head fasteners. My primary, derby cover and now handlebar controls all sport s.s. allenhead screws. Looks like you may be receiving some small packages in the mail?
Amazingly my bike still has (almost) all original fasteners.. including lots of torx.. never had any issues with them......

i'd have shipped them out already if i had an address.. lol
Old 26th August 2013
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Anthony, my real issue is that I'm a ham-fisted idiot, half blind and don't make time to get the glasses to see what specific type fastener is really required. It also allows me to cut back some on my travel tool pack.
Sponsored Links
Old 26th August 2013
OzChick

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 08
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Bobber
Other Motorcycle Year: 2017
sportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond repute

LOL! Wow, thanks for all the offers folks. You guys rock!
But I have it under control, I just need to make a mental note that the local stores may not have them in stock; and will need to order in. So factor those "6 trips" being spaced out over a week or two or three LOL. And if it is a weekend, all that will be open in Townsville is Bunnings (our almost equivalent of Home Depot), and it is unlikely they will have much that will help. Though occasionally they surprise me.

It's not all bad, it has certainly been a learning experience! I now know what UNC and UNF mean (coarse/fine threads). I also learned that UNF are even less likely to be carried, which is what the lower shock bolt is.

The hand control screw I rounded out was actually an allen head that I'd replaced a few years back because the torx looked a bit dodgy after I'd had it on and off a few times (I'm ham fisted too Paul; I was originally a mollydooker, but after a bad break of my left arm, became right-handed. It just means I don't quite have the dexterity I'd like.) I vaguely remember at the time trying to get the size in SS and not having luck. Well apparently I didn't get it in grade 5 either as it was rusted AND soft. But it is out now and installment part 2 is scheduled for this weekend.