The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Active Threads
5 decell poping
Last Post: Beelzeboss
Posted On: 41 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 185
0 Hello from Laconia NH!
Last Post: bronco7892
Posted On: 45 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 172
0 New from Canary Islands
Last Post: juzyHD
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 79
0 Electrical Problem with '77 XLH-no power
Last Post: JonesL
Replies: 7
Views: 126
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: Ireeman
Replies: 7,480
Views: 1,361,488
0 K&N filter concern
Replies: 9
Views: 197
0 2018 Harley Dealer Meeting - Streaming Now
Replies: 33
Views: 558
0 Exhaust Wrap Questions
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 19
Views: 421
0 Tranny inspected
Last Post: shooterj2003
Replies: 0
Views: 26
0 Iree's late night cafe
Replies: 936
Views: 89,640
0 77 kickstart shaft.
Last Post: doodah man
Views: 144
0 ‘19 H-D Stage-1 models, factory-installed?
Last Post: Bone
Replies: 20
Views: 589
0 What is it that makes an Ironhead “not reliable”?
Last Post: shooterj2003
Replies: 17
Views: 489
5 Legendary Jerry Branch on Gearing quote and question...
Last Post: groovemeisterus
Replies: 3
Views: 163
0 H-D “Factory” Demo-Rides in 2018?
Last Post: tvon
Replies: 8
Views: 283
0 Shovester Sighting
Last Post: needspeed
Replies: 74
Views: 7,630
0 Iree's jukbox joint
Last Post: ~Grind~
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,853
Views: 260,545
0 rattling after installing oil cooler.
Last Post: Grumpy-Biker
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Views: 24
0 Lets see your off season builds
Last Post: madnss
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,103
Views: 115,088
7 80 Ironhead engine rebuild
Views: 185
0 1966 XLCH in Texas
Last Post: achris03
Replies: 2
Views: 138
0 Ran like crap
Replies: 11
Views: 353
0 EFI Sniffing.
Last Post: RAIDER0372
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 156
0 What coil(s) do you run with your Dyna S ignition?
Last Post: mikethebike61
Replies: 11
Views: 314
0 HD 100th Anniversary Sporty Pic Thread
Last Post: dodgetrucken
Replies: 206
Views: 115,095
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: tigger
Replies: 7,632
Views: 563,710
0 What's your helmet?
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 67
Views: 3,120
0 Sizing cylinders too pistons
Last Post: lynnx
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 20
Views: 749
0 Things that Rattle on a Sportster
Last Post: koolbreeze
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Views: 58
6 New to sportsters
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 181
More...
Members Birthdays
qrtsteve (64), NoRemorse (50), johnboy (49), bmonty72 (46), superscythe (45), grahamc (33)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st August 2014
I think I like Sportsters

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L (sorta) & a 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200CX
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2016
Other Motorcycle Model: XR1200X
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Screw Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Screw Loose's Repairs

As many already know, I went down on the Dragon while I was down there for the Beebe run. Here's what I posted over in that thread, for those that missed it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screw Loose Dan View Post
I just realized it hadn't been mentioned in the thread that I went down on the Dragon. I've ridden it a million times before. I've acted a fool on the bike a million times before. This time it bit me. About time I suppose.

I lost traction in a big way. Was going relatively slow, but was WOT. It was a very dramatic fraction of a second best I can recall. Started to slide the back out, low siding. Thought I would save it and ride it out, then went into a front end wobble ending in high side accident.

Bike has some scratches, but very rideable. I had a blast riding back down the Dragon with no one in sight, so I'm sure the bike is mostly good.

Regina and Trace insisted I go to the ER last night as it hurt to breath laying down. I didn't want to go, but I know better than to argue with two women. The meds are helping, a lot.
I rode the bike back home (700+ miles) without much incident. Getting on and off sucked the most. And the PA Turnpike with it's non-stop bumps was cruel.

My sprained ribs and abdominal muscles have since been healing. Still, they remind me how stupid I was when I twist certain ways or lay in bed. But, overall I'm healing and feeling better.

I got the bike up on the table lift a few days ago and have slowly been working on disassembly. The obvious things busted up included the fork stop on the lower triple tree snapped, tank dent from handle bar, exhaust and pegs scraped. I also wanted to give a good once over of the forks to make sure they are straight.

Of course, as I'm doing all this I can't help but think of ways to make the bike go even faster...uh, I mean more controllable. Some folks don't learn the first time around.

Here's where I'm at this point. Anyone that followed my 90" build of this bike knows I don't do anything quickly. If you are expecting that this thing is doing burnouts next week, this isn't the thread for you. I have two other bikes to ride in the meantime. No rush here.

Because misery loves company, to add insult to injury, or any other fitting cliches...When I got home from the Beebe run the kickstand pin fell out as I pulled in the garage (literally). The bushings had failed and the spring clip was gone. No big deal, I have spares on hand. Put the jack under the bike just to hold it up while I fiddle with the pin. I had to look for a new spring clip and it took longer then I expected. As I sat at my workbench the jack hydraulics bled off enough that the bike tipped over on the primary side (which had escaped any injury from the accident). And yes, I know better.

So, now I get to do some primary side repairs as well.

If that last picture isn't clear, yes the primary case is dented. I'm pretty sure the shifter shaft bent as well.

On the plus side of things, since this bike is likely to be down for the summer, I'm putting the blacked out wheels on the 1200R, which I think will look kick ass.

I'll update this thread as things progress, but don't expect lightning speed.
2012 - XR1200X (XR)
2016 - 1200CX Roadster (new one)
2007 - 883L/90" -current project - (Black bike)

Last edited by Screw Loose Dan; 12th March 2018 at 00:45..
Old 1st August 2014
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
Other Motorcycle Model: Softail Slim
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
WKNDZ has much to be proud ofWKNDZ has much to be proud ofWKNDZ has much to be proud ofWKNDZ has much to be proud ofWKNDZ has much to be proud ofWKNDZ has much to be proud ofWKNDZ has much to be proud ofWKNDZ has much to be proud ofWKNDZ has much to be proud ofWKNDZ has much to be proud ofWKNDZ has much to be proud of

As they say, pics are worth a thousand words.
I'm sub'ed!

thanks,

T.
Old 1st August 2014
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XR1200X
Sportster/Buell Year: 2012
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 883 HUGGER
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Ural Patrol
beeman07 is a splendid one to beholdbeeman07 is a splendid one to beholdbeeman07 is a splendid one to beholdbeeman07 is a splendid one to beholdbeeman07 is a splendid one to beholdbeeman07 is a splendid one to beholdbeeman07 is a splendid one to beholdbeeman07 is a splendid one to beholdbeeman07 is a splendid one to beholdbeeman07 is a splendid one to beholdbeeman07 is a splendid one to behold

Subscribed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screw Loose Dan View Post
Of course, as I'm doing all this I can't help but think of ways to make the bike go even faster...uh, I mean more controllable. Some folks don't learn the first time around.
Though my XR1200x didn't get as banged up as your scooter, I'm looking at ways to hop it up, too. Maybe my wife is right; I'm becoming reckless. Unfortunately, I can't take my XR off the street for long because my 883 is in pieces (literally) and though I love the Ural, it isn't that great for commuting. (First World Problems.)

-Michigan Fred.
2012 H-D XR1200x
2003 H-D Sportster Hugger
Old 1st August 2014
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

THAT SUX (Falling over and all)

i'm sure it'll be awesome when you're done. if it was a frame mount i'd offer you a lower tree..

course if you get a set of tree's they make a great fork bench vice.. !! just sayin.

iffen you need anything lemme know..

States I've Ridden in

71.3 hp 70.8 tq

1208cc 11.09:1 (Wiseco 10° Dome 10.5:1 .010 over) ,Screamin Eagle Dual Plug Heads (10° 61cc), Original SE A/C, Vance & Hines Straight Shots w/ Custom Baffles. SE 6800 ign, Dual BREMBO brakes/ Pirelli Night Dragon MU85-16 Rear - 100/90-19 Front. Progressive Springs & 412 HD 13½" Chrome Shocks, 5½" pullback riser w/ "reddtigger mount", Stebel Nautilus Compact Air horn, Mustang Vintage Super Wide Touring Seat, Alto Carbonite Clutch
Old 1st August 2014
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200Lr
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: FLHP
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2016
Other Motorcycle Model: 13 Guzzi V7 / 11 Duc 696
Bone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch, sorry to hear.

Heal up well man!
Old 1st August 2014
I am the great Cornholio!

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GT550
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
ParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, didn't realize the bike was that banged up from the tip over. Give me a call if you need a hand with anything.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Click here for the Sportsterpedia! for technical information & advice
Old 1st August 2014
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1500cc Aircooled VW Bug
Sportster/Buell Year: 1968
The Masshole has a reputation beyond reputeThe Masshole has a reputation beyond reputeThe Masshole has a reputation beyond reputeThe Masshole has a reputation beyond reputeThe Masshole has a reputation beyond reputeThe Masshole has a reputation beyond reputeThe Masshole has a reputation beyond reputeThe Masshole has a reputation beyond reputeThe Masshole has a reputation beyond reputeThe Masshole has a reputation beyond reputeThe Masshole has a reputation beyond repute

As long as you are okay...
It sucks be its repairable ..... And you have awesome back-ups..
See you in MA on the 24th... Should be a great ride
Old 1st August 2014

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GN400
Other Motorcycle Year: 1980
merc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond repute

Jesus Dan you have some work ahead of you but if there is a good side to wrecking it is that you can tell us about it.
They say you learn from experience but in your case here...I doubt it. LOL
I'll have to watch the transformation of this bike as you go at it.
Meantime rake it easy until your completely healed up.
Good luck.
P
Old 1st August 2014
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 883 (Kim's now)
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Street Glide
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 08
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDXT
Other Motorcycle Year: 02
sportsterdude.248 has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdude.248 has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdude.248 has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdude.248 has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdude.248 has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdude.248 has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdude.248 has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdude.248 has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdude.248 has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdude.248 has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdude.248 has a reputation beyond repute

I like how you curled that clutch lever!
Old 1st August 2014

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB1100
Other Motorcycle Year: 2014
sportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry about your mishap, but with all your miles this gives you an opportunity to go through the bike thoroughly.
Lots of good riders high side trying to recover from a slide
If you bruised your ribs, it takes a while for the discomfort to subside (about a month, when I was much, much younger)
Thought about you yesterday, upon arrival in Tok
Lots of gravel on the Alcan highway between the Canadian border and Tok
Lots of bicycles, many solo and lots of M/C, but only BT, Goldwings and BMWs, no Sportsters seen.
Get well, soon!