The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Active Threads
0 Black Bike Bible
Last Post: grako122
Posted On: 16 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2,516
Views: 1,129,196
0 Rattling noise
Last Post: spacecoast
Posted On: 25 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 377
0 2018 East Coast Meet & Greet
Last Post: gravydog
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 355
Views: 20,185
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 6,449
Views: 452,861
0 Why do sportsters look small?
Last Post: Dave L
Replies: 65
Views: 1,814
0 How does it feel?
Replies: 0
Views: 21
0 Rubber mount questions.
Last Post: Gazotenekes
Replies: 2
Views: 157
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Replies: 40,431
Views: 6,203,327
0 How many helmets?
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 193
Views: 25,271
0 Mag Wheel Valve Stem Hole
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 121
0 Big bore stroker - the beginning of a 10-year long build
Last Post: RKN
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 675
Views: 54,286
0 59h belt drive primary, what other surprises?
Last Post: Moon Wolf
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 29
Views: 1,616
0 Show your favorite pic of your bike. just one
Last Post: kopbilly1
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,676
Views: 1,719,556
0 Titanium Retainers
Last Post: Cropduster
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 1,984
10 Greetings from upstate NY
Last Post: juzyHD
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 244
5 Other Bars instead of Buckhorns?
Last Post: sleighcrane
Replies: 10
Views: 402
0 DK Custom-Parts Info, Testing, & Results w/ Pics & Fun-to-Read Ride Reports
Last Post: sml1226
Replies: 9
Views: 389
0 Mid glide
Last Post: cazz1000
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 218
0 2020 H-D response to the Indian FTR1200?
Last Post: jzink0883
Views: 165
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: cotton1
Replies: 10,136
Views: 631,024
0 carb pop on acceleration from stop
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 484
3 Possible ignition module going bad again and throwing timing off...
Last Post: groovemeisterus
Replies: 8
Views: 262
0 main shaft leak
Last Post: doodah man
Replies: 17
Views: 392
0 My next trip - AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days in Lexington OH
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 6
Views: 191
0 The forum got talent
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 15
Views: 427
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: sml1226
Replies: 5,118
Views: 541,044
0 Illium Works Versatile Highway Pegs Review
Last Post: MotoMoshe
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Views: 44
0 THE Trainspotting Thread
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 1,930
Views: 191,173
0 Range With EFI 2.1 Gal Tank
Last Post: jammantoo
Replies: 70
Views: 36,736
0 Craigslist?
Last Post: koolbreeze
Replies: 4
Views: 213
More...
Members Birthdays
NedNimrod, jduffy01, AlanT (70), jzink0883 (69), LVBOATDOC (66), glef (61), Dogsbd (56), darkcustom (41), jon8641 (34)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th April 2017
I think I like Sportsters

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L (sorta) & a 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200CX
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2016
Other Motorcycle Model: XR1200X
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Screw Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond repute
Default My 1200CX Roadster - Another bad decision.

Late one night last week I couldn't sleep, so I turned to eBay for something to do. I ran across a Roadster up for auction, 35 miles on it, in Jersey so less than 2 hours away. I threw a bid at it, thinking either A) I would be out bid, or B) it wouldn't meet reserve.

I was wrong.

Thinking about it now, it was a bad decision. I make a lot of those, so I'm pretty used to it. But, I don't really need another bike. I had really been thinking my next bike (or two) would be something older or a bit different. I already had 3 EFI Sportsters, why would I need a 4th?!? But, it was a new sexy Roadster...

But, I bid and won the bike. This week between work and getting a local bank account setup so I could withdraw money, it's been a bit hectic. But, I wanted to make sure I kept up my end of the bargain. With very little sleep this morning, I made an early morning run over to the other side of NJ., trailer in tow and a wad of cash. I got to bring her home!!

Next to the project bike at home (in the messy garage):

The story from the prior owner, his wife had won the bike at a raffle from the local Harley dealership. She doesn't ride and doesn't want to learn. He "was too old for a Sposter" and "wanted something lower". I heard (between the lines) the he wanted a bigger bike. He hadn't even taken the bike for a ride around the block. Dealership delivered it and he listed it on eBay right away. He was planning to take the cash to go buy an Indian motorcycle. It didn't sound like the wife had approved that plan...

I do love the look/style of the new Roadsters. I hadn't ridden one prior to today. But, there's a lot to like here. And those that know me, know I've been smitten with them since they were first released. I'm not a fan of the chopped rear fender, and the two tone engine was a bad choice by Harley, IMO. But, really those are my two biggest gripes and they aren't that big.

I did get to take a short ride today, went around Valley Forge Park.

My first impressions:
  • The seating position seems way forward. My knees got hit by the handlebars in a parking lot, which was a first ever for me.
  • I scraped the foot peg on an on ramp, the lean angle wasn't nearly as much as I thought it would be with the high stance.
  • The turn signals buttons will take a lot of getting used to, as they are buttons and not the springy switches that I'm used to on my other Sportsters.
  • All the controls/switches are just enough different from my other bikes I have to think about it when using them. The one advantage to having similar bikes is not having to "relearn" controls when switching bikes. I'm sure I'll learn the new bike's quick enough, just different.
  • The engine sounds just like a Sportster!
  • The handlebars seem to have a bit more vibration than my other bikes.
  • The seat and it's position seems to lend itself very well to leaning off the bike in turns. It's a lot of fun!

Aesthetically, I still wish Harley didn't use the grey paint on the engine and made it all black. The chopped fender is what it is, not my taste, but clearly I knew what to expect. I had only briefly seen a 1200CX at dealership before, otherwise I had only been gawking at them online. The things that caught my eye while admiring my new bike today - there's more chrome than I expected (oil filter, handlebars, frt ts) and the footpegs are ridiculously heavy looking to me.

So, while this is probably not one of my better decisions, doesn't mean I won't enjoy it!! She fits right in with the fleet.

2012 - XR1200X (XR)
2016 - 1200CX Roadster (new one)
2007 - 883L/90" -current project - (Black bike)

Last edited by Screw Loose Dan; 24th February 2018 at 16:27..
Old 16th April 2017
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200cx
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
ks roadster is a splendid one to beholdks roadster is a splendid one to beholdks roadster is a splendid one to beholdks roadster is a splendid one to beholdks roadster is a splendid one to beholdks roadster is a splendid one to beholdks roadster is a splendid one to beholdks roadster is a splendid one to beholdks roadster is a splendid one to beholdks roadster is a splendid one to beholdks roadster is a splendid one to behold

9000 miles on mine, fun bike throw some regular pegs on it and you will not scrape. Continental trail attack tires about the only option for matching radials unless you want to give H-D your money

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 16th April 2017
Senior Master Bolter Oner

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 883C/883R-both sold
Other Motorcycle Model: Dyna FXD-sold
Brad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond repute

Nice. I figured that was a fait accompli. We should have had a pool! (When will Dan buy a roadster?)
----------------------
brokebastardracing
----------------------
joesporty.com
Old 16th April 2017
I think I like Sportsters

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L (sorta) & a 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200CX
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2016
Other Motorcycle Model: XR1200X
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Screw Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Nice. I figured that was a fait accompli. We should have had a pool! (When will Dan buy a roadster?)
LOL It is true.
Old 16th April 2017
OzChick

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 08
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Bobber
Other Motorcycle Year: 2017
sportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond reputesportytrace has a reputation beyond repute

Sigh... wow... another gorgeous addition to your garage. Seriously envious LOL.

I had the good fortune to take one for a half-day expedition a couple of months back. Aside from knees hitting the bars, I had many of the same thoughts as you; especially the turn signals. They were easier for me to reach, but the feedback had me questioning whether I'd activated them. But overall I adored it; even moreso after taking off the peg feelers at lunch time. I very much wanted to take it home with me, especially as Nyx had been being obnoxious.

Congratulations! Hopefully you'll get past the regrets completely in another ride or two.

Work/Life Balance? Just work more at Living!
Nyx: 08 XLN~ 90" Dyno Results; 90" of Street-based FUN coming downunder; My six year refresh adventure
TBob: 2017 Triumph Bobber; Making a Decision on a New Bike
Muse: 1982 Honda CBX Shed Find
Photography: My take on the world
Old 16th April 2017
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
sml1226 has disabled reputation

I liked the two color engine, but I've always disliked the gray powder on mine, so it's not super difficult to impress me there. Never liked chrome without loads of black to tone it down. Aluminum looks good, but it's work to keep looking good unless you never do rain or tear it down for polish regularly. And most of the black engine bikes I've come across are waaaay too black for me.

Always been curious what an anodized case would look like. Undyed hard anodize would be cool. Deep, thick, funky dark gray all over with that nice hairline finish good anodizing has.
Old 16th April 2017
Thx for the help, jackass

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883 > SE 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
wandrur has a reputation beyond reputewandrur has a reputation beyond reputewandrur has a reputation beyond reputewandrur has a reputation beyond reputewandrur has a reputation beyond reputewandrur has a reputation beyond reputewandrur has a reputation beyond reputewandrur has a reputation beyond reputewandrur has a reputation beyond reputewandrur has a reputation beyond reputewandrur has a reputation beyond repute

Dammit, man, look what you've done!
Old 16th April 2017
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
XLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond repute

Was the suspension and radial tires much better than damper rod and bias tires of previous models? Compared to the X?
Former Ricor test rider for IAS Shocks, Intiminators and Vibranators. Works Dual Rate fork springs, fork brace, Avon Venom X tires, loosen drive belt, and set frame rails level to floor. Read the "7 Pages of Suspension" thread in the Suspension Sticky Index to learn how to fix your suspension.
Old 16th April 2017
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200CB
Sportster/Buell Year: 2015
Other Motorcycle Model: CRF250L
Other Motorcycle Year: 2017
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!

There is nothing at the end of any road better than may be found beside it. Edward Thomas (1878 - 1917)
Sponsored Links
Old 16th April 2017
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
XL Ed has a reputation beyond reputeXL Ed has a reputation beyond reputeXL Ed has a reputation beyond reputeXL Ed has a reputation beyond reputeXL Ed has a reputation beyond reputeXL Ed has a reputation beyond reputeXL Ed has a reputation beyond reputeXL Ed has a reputation beyond reputeXL Ed has a reputation beyond reputeXL Ed has a reputation beyond reputeXL Ed has a reputation beyond repute

Does this take the guesswork out of which bike to bring to WV in July?