The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: cal43
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 9,274
Views: 2,189,073
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 34,065
Views: 4,107,689
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Posted On: 7 Minutes Ago
Replies: 53,053
Views: 8,989,488
0 video & pics
Posted On: 11 Minutes Ago
Replies: 799
Views: 83,739
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Posted On: 13 Minutes Ago
Replies: 12,725
Views: 3,077,053
0 Coulda' - Shoulda' - Woulda' - Solenoid/Bendix?
Last Post: ZTatZAU
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 66
Views: 1,858
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 26,940
Views: 1,562,712
5 Removing primary engine sprocket nut with heat gun, special caution needed?
Last Post: ericfreeman
Replies: 15
Views: 388
0 VOES issues? Adjustments needed?
Last Post: Edster
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 195
0 Primary thread
Last Post: RandallM
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 23
Views: 606
0 Alternative to stock clutch cable?
Last Post: ChinCactus
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 203
0 re rocker arm cover spewing out oil
Last Post: 11B40
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 136
0 weight loss thread
Last Post: Steve9
Replies: 77
Views: 29,117
0 Massachusetts 2022
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 29
Views: 1,030
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 2,227
Views: 400,996
0 Another question re: Microsquirt
Last Post: t120r
Replies: 61
Views: 1,619
0 "S" model specific Q&A
Last Post: heyjames
Replies: 2,108
Views: 471,546
0 What song do you have stuck in your head?
Last Post: iNSaNeSHaNe
Replies: 2,495
Views: 279,245
0 gasket sealant
Last Post: NLXL
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 199
5 Late 50s XL to 60s XL Front End Compatibility
Last Post: Jhbox13
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 278
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: cycowrencher
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 7,874
Views: 1,370,263
0 Upside Down Monoshock IH - A Longterm Project
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 337
Views: 75,224
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Ironhead)
Last Post: tiderider
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 24
Views: 290,791
0 Sportster Tracker Wheel and Tire Questions
Last Post: Big Al
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 292
0 Informed reviews!
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 605
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 3,742
Views: 443,410
0 Microsquirt EFI Conversion
Last Post: t120r
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 62
Views: 7,714
0 Rear Brake Squeal Fixed
Last Post: John Harper
Posted On: 18 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 837
0 Black Bike Bible
Last Post: cycowrencher
Posted On: 19 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,586
Views: 1,274,373
0 Allegheny National Park III
Last Post: sprink
Posted On: 20 Hours Ago
Replies: 101
Views: 7,108
More...
Members Birthdays
Steph (56), yubman (51), Sporty1971 (51), Windesch (49), Mark_Bench (45), motherduce (43), sgtfry (40), Mrtechit101 (31)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th March 2018
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year: 79
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 82
60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of

Here Ya go. see the fitting at 10 o'clock? that's supposed to be pointed up towards Your air filter..see the 6 o'clock position (my finger) that's where the extra vent hose goes..Yours is already there.

Mines routed down temporary..till I find a factory air cleaner.
Old 13th March 2018
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000 Ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster Low XL1200L
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2011
hscic is a jewel in the roughhscic is a jewel in the roughhscic is a jewel in the roughhscic is a jewel in the roughhscic is a jewel in the roughhscic is a jewel in the roughhscic is a jewel in the roughhscic is a jewel in the roughhscic is a jewel in the roughhscic is a jewel in the roughhscic is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60weight View Post
Here Ya go. see the fitting at 10 o'clock? that's supposed to be pointed up towards Your air filter..see the 6 o'clock position (my finger) that's where the extra vent hose goes..Yours is already there.

Mines routed down temporary..till I find a factory air cleaner.
wow sharp eye...that's is different and not what I usually see for venting...thanks for the pics. Will check it out.
Old 13th March 2018
Custom Bike Builder

60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of60weight has much to be proud of

Your welcome. I don't like clutterin up Yer thread with pics,but You seem to like them.
Ive not added the extra vent yet on my 80 but going to. 83XLX and IronMick discovered
how much it helps. Leave Yours on Id say.
Old 13th March 2018
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

hscic is a jewel in the roughhscic is a jewel in the roughhscic is a jewel in the roughhscic is a jewel in the roughhscic is a jewel in the roughhscic is a jewel in the roughhscic is a jewel in the roughhscic is a jewel in the roughhscic is a jewel in the roughhscic is a jewel in the roughhscic is a jewel in the rough

I appreciate pics. On another forum, I have a lot of pics on several how-to threads that I did to help other member. Heck I even have a thread on sound clips of exhaust systems for those looking to replace their pipes. But it is a lot easier to download pics there than here. It helps to see actual close ups and not illustrations like the manual. I've learned a lot from forum members like yourself, more so than the manual, so know the value experience. But like all forums you need to weed out fact from opinions, and there are a lot of them opinions.

Will post pics of my venting that you mentioned just to see what you described.
Old 13th March 2018
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX-61
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CL350
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
83XLX has a reputation beyond repute83XLX has a reputation beyond repute83XLX has a reputation beyond repute83XLX has a reputation beyond repute83XLX has a reputation beyond repute83XLX has a reputation beyond repute83XLX has a reputation beyond repute83XLX has a reputation beyond repute83XLX has a reputation beyond repute83XLX has a reputation beyond repute83XLX has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, here's mine in a recent picture - it's been that way for 16 years or so now, with no problems. I originally added the lower hose as an experiment to keep oil from making its way into the air cleaner at higher RPMs, but it has the added benefit of letting the engine rev a bit more freely. There's no real downside to it, other than an occasional drip of oil from the hose that terminates under the engine. Both hose outlets vent from the same cam cover chamber, so there's no need for any PVC, foo-foo, or filter on it. There's already a one-way valve inside the cam cover that prevents any air from being sucked back in.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it (especially if you don't know what you're doing). Most Sportster problems are owner-induced.
Old 13th March 2018
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond repute

Just a heads up. Some of the newer cam covers have a drain hole for oil back into the motor from the vent area. Unplugging the hole in the 6 position defeats that drain and allows that oil to drain externally.

This is my brain on XL
Old 13th March 2018
Custom Bike Builder

My clutch works perfect now after MXs instructions and about 50 miles.
clicks into neutral easy at stops,with no slipping at speed.
I use Valvoline ATV 10W40 in Her primary.
For engine oil I use Valvoline VR1 20W50 year round...in Your neck of the woods 60w would be fine tho.
Also, You can get a centrifugal clutch for our Ironheads but they are not cheap.
Old 14th March 2018
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

xlx and rick - thanks for sharing

60 - my clutch is just another to do. Need to have them focus on the fuel leak first, then I will bring it home and do the 60/MX method again to separate the clutch plates. I don't trust that they did it as you described so I will work on the clutch when I get her home. I am using 50w engine oil. Not sure about primary. Where is the hose at 10 going in your pic?

Here is my vent hose at 6 that your sharp eyes caught in the original pics.

Last edited by hscic; 14th March 2018 at 04:21..
Old 14th March 2018
Custom Bike Builder

On my 80 the hose is going down between the frame and cases..temporarily.
Reason is because I don't have the factory carb and air cleaner on it yet.
Where its supposed to go is from the cam cover up to the back side of the air cleaner.

I see Your missing the part the 10 o'clock hose uses on Your cam cover,looks to be plugged? Ill find You a part # if Ya want to put Her back factory..again,if You do.... leave the 6 o'clock vent hose in place,
Like 83XLX is. In His picture do Ya see both?...Hes using both for the reason He explained to us.
Looking at Your picture hscic, Ill bet Your added vent hose is ran back to Her oil tank vent hose. Ive seen this done before,by a grey beard Mechanic I knew...why I didn't think to ask..
This is the reason(and the brass fuel inlet) I believe the first owner either knew what He was doing or had a great Mechanic.
See the weld at the bottom of Her cam cover? Thats factory...all of em are like that...also Ill bet You still have the factory ignition on Her...as does mine
Last thing..You know by now that 79,80 and 81 are the very best years for Ironheads correct?
Old 14th March 2018
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Yes I saw 83XLX's set up and that made sense to me....so not sure why the original owner plugged my 10 o'clock vent hole.

I will place the 10 o'clock hose back on..
62570-79 Fitting gear case to AC hose
10020 Clamp 11/16"
63500-68 Hose 3/8"ID X 5/8"OD Fabric reinforced rubber

I think I have the rubber hose and clamp in my supply chest. Where do you get the fitting