The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > GENERAL AREA > Off-Topic/General Discussion
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Off-Topic/General Discussion Here is you can submit non-Sportster related topics. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION PLEASE.

Active Threads
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 54 Minutes Ago
Replies: 21,387
Views: 1,264,459
0 Backfiring
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 33
Views: 1,785
0 Do you blow dry your ride after wash
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 176
Views: 20,528
0 Hammer 1275 clang noise, slow oil feed, kinked crankcase vent.
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 444
Views: 14,740
0 Corona Virus
Last Post: madnss
Replies: 1,626
Views: 159,170
0 final drive front sprocket change
Last Post: kitabel
Replies: 6
Views: 447
0 2018 Iron 1275 Project
Last Post: yelladox
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 30
Views: 3,419
0 Do you blip the throttle when downshifting?
Last Post: Ireeman
Replies: 477
Views: 91,020
0 What Is the Advantage - Shovster?
Last Post: Chuckthebeatertruck
Replies: 85
Views: 5,870
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 50,346
Views: 8,266,124
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 28,393
Views: 3,020,898
0 This is gonna hurt.
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 8,440
Views: 1,870,951
0 Non-Starter, Compression Test Results
Last Post: GA_Ironhead
Replies: 22
Views: 884
0 Iron 1966 XLRTT
Last Post: brucstoudt
Replies: 186
Views: 42,352
0 Magneto Sportster's 1964 XLH Restoration Project
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 53
Views: 7,239
0 Ford CEO Jim Farley nominated to Harley-Davidson board of directors
Last Post: Maxeffort
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 618
0 Swing arm bearing change
Last Post: SportsterXLCH1967
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 340
0 Peanut, 3.3 or 4.5 gas tank ?
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 261
Views: 79,451
0 xl1200T
Last Post: luce26
Replies: 0
Views: 41
0 What did you do to your EFI Sporty today?
Last Post: Maxwell#256
Replies: 4,006
Views: 827,525
0 New here - compression test produced meh results.
Last Post: rocketnorton
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 27
Views: 1,467
0 What to do now? Ironhead clutch hub nut stripped
Last Post: Steve9
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 335
0 S&S Super E
Last Post: Serious Blac
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 802
0 Iron 2020 wire tuck
Last Post: Dorretje
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 47
0 Exhaust paint, coatings for head pipes?
Last Post: SLW210
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 182
0 1970 XLH Tach cable kinked
Last Post: sungod
Replies: 20
Views: 847
0 Swingarm Fitment
Last Post: SLW210
Replies: 1
Views: 174
0 1970 XLH smoke from rocker box gasket
Last Post: sungod
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 431
0 WTB 04-06 intake manifold
Last Post: aswracing
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 171
0 Steering Neck Tapered Bearin Kit
Last Post: SportsterXLCH1967
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 144
More...
Members Birthdays

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th August 2019
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200X
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
lostNdallas has a reputation beyond reputelostNdallas has a reputation beyond reputelostNdallas has a reputation beyond reputelostNdallas has a reputation beyond reputelostNdallas has a reputation beyond reputelostNdallas has a reputation beyond reputelostNdallas has a reputation beyond reputelostNdallas has a reputation beyond reputelostNdallas has a reputation beyond reputelostNdallas has a reputation beyond reputelostNdallas has a reputation beyond repute
Default expected failures and mileages chart/reference

Is there a section in this forum that gathers all the phantom known failures and what milage to expect them?

I did some digging around and didn't find anything definitive that would have been helpful to reference after buying my bike.

for instance, the spring plate in my clutch failed at 12k and I know many folks experienced the same failure. Not everyone did but I would have likely changed mine out before failure had I known it was somewhat common. My oil pump drive gear catastrophically failed at 38k. I was damn lucky that the oil pump was the only casualty. Talking to several folks, this is also not that uncommon due to the steel gear used in XL's (but the bronze was still spec'd in XR's???) I definitely would have swapped that out had I known that was probably coming and the potential damage that it could cause. Now at 42k I had a wire break in my harness causing my bike to randomly shut down which mimics several other failures. I don't know if this last one is actually a prevalent issue or not but in the course of diagnosis I also found that my fuel line from the pump to the rail had gotten soft and collapsed pinching the fuel line, so even though it wasn't an issue yet, it was going to be.

Anyway, if it doesn't already exist I thought it might be helpful to have a dedicated thread to new owners about what to possibly expect that could prevent expensive repairs.
Old 5th August 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Xl1250S
Sportster/Buell Year: 98
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Other Motorcycle Year: 95
Hippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know for how many years up but early rubbermounts had an issue with the pivot bolt at the swingarm.
From the Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/techtalk:evo:susp03

Notes gathered from the XLFORUM:

## There is a pivot shaft that supports the swing arm bearings/bolts on the outside, and goes through the rear mounting lug on the tranny case. If the pivot shaft is loose in the rear mount lug, it will need to be replaced. 1)

## Symptoms of swingarm problems: 2)

## Excessive play in the rear wheel, difficulty keeping in a straight line in slow moving traffic.

## Spherical Bearings having play in them.

## Rear rubber mounts well out of shape.

## Torx bolt head shearing off.

## All of the rubber mounts are open to this problem… Because of the fact that the swing arm is mounted to the mount… An it's rubber-mounted with a spherical bearing… It's got some “flex” stock most don't notice it… Till its really bad! 3)

## Replace the swing arm bearing when you have it apart… and above all else… follow the TSB for reinstalling the rear brake don't cross thread the pivot bolt. 4)

## When you have the swingarm out, use a few sockets and some all thread (a bolt could work as well) in a vise to press the bearings out. 5) There might be some surface rust in there, just soak it with some rust solvent for a couple of hours before you press it. 6)

Broken Pivot Bolts:

## I think the design issue is that the pivot shaft is too small for the hole it goes through in the engine. It should be a tighter fit like an axle through a bearing. The purpose of the lock plate is to keep the pivot shaft from spinning so you can tighten the swingarm bolts. I think it does that job just fine. But, because the pivot shaft is too small, when you install the lock plate, the lock plate centers the pivot shaft in its hole. So the engine transmits its forces not directly into the pivot shaft, but rather into the lock plate bolts, then into the lock plate, then finally into the pivot shaft. Those little lock plate bolts cant handle that kind of stress so one or two of them break. I think a better fix would be a larger pivot shaft, or a shim or bushing of some sort to take up the space between the pivot shaft and its bore. 7)

## I agree that a tighter pivot shift fit would help but the plate also holds against lateral shift of the shaft to the left under hard cornering loads. The combination of that force plus wiggling of the shaft in the motor opening definitely contributes to the problem 8)

In Search of Fuel, Sunshine and a Steady Idle.
Old 5th August 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL77.2R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
rejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond repute

Following the maintenance schedule will help see those problem in advance.
Old 5th August 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883►1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
IXL2Relax has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostNdallas View Post
Is there a section in this forum that gathers all the phantom known failures and what milage to expect them?
We actually have quite a few in the Sportsterpedia - Thanks for the suggestion of a list...

I created a new page called 'Common Failures - Be Aware' on the main menu under 'Evolution Specific Troubleshooting'... This will function as a sub-menu to various locations in the Sportsterpedia which discuss those failures. On the main menu, look for this:

* Evolution Specific Troubleshooting
** General Practices & Procedures
** Common Failures - Be Aware

Here's the DIRECT SP LINK <----

I started the list with the Spring Plate Failure - but we will populate that section with a brief description of failures that are known to be more or less common along with a link to the Sportsterpedia section which discusses those failures in more detail...

Thanks again for the suggestion - I'm sure that will be helpful...

And 'rejean' is right about preventative maintenance being important.

Keep posting which failures would be considered 'COMMON'...

IXL _______ >>>> My Motorcycle Chronicles Are Here <<<<
For FREE Sportster Tech Info from the XLForum:
Explore The Sportsterpedia - The Best Kept Secret on the XLForum!

Last edited by IXL2Relax; 5th August 2019 at 16:06..
Old 5th August 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Xl1250S
Sportster/Buell Year: 98
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Other Motorcycle Year: 95
Hippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostNdallas View Post
I haven't seen a list in the forum.
There are lots of threads you could cherry pick if you had the time I guess.
But this is a great suggestion to bring them together.

I look forward to their culmination in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXL2Relax View Post
We actually have quite a few in the Sportsterpedia

I created a new page called 'Common Failures -

We do have some of these things in the Sportsterpedia already.
But it is good also to have a menu of where to find them.
Thank you for doing that.
Old 5th August 2019
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

lostNdallas has a reputation beyond reputelostNdallas has a reputation beyond reputelostNdallas has a reputation beyond reputelostNdallas has a reputation beyond reputelostNdallas has a reputation beyond reputelostNdallas has a reputation beyond reputelostNdallas has a reputation beyond reputelostNdallas has a reputation beyond reputelostNdallas has a reputation beyond reputelostNdallas has a reputation beyond reputelostNdallas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejeanprimeau View Post
Following the maintenance schedule will help see those problem in advance.
I don't dispute that, except maybe the spring plate failure, and the broken wire but again, not sure if the broken wire (broke at a factory splice) is a chronic issue.
Old 5th August 2019
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXL2Relax View Post
We actually have quite a few in the Sportsterpedia - Thanks for the suggestion of a list...
I appreciate the work you do on that. I just started looking through it yesterday.
Old 5th August 2019
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippysmack View Post
I look forward to their culmination in this thread.
I've met a lot of new sporty riders the last few years just because of the location of my job and I always try to get them on the forum if for nothing else, the exceptional maintenance advice. After being told twice that something was a known-unknown issue, it took some digging to find pertinent information on it so I think it would have helped me to have that info in one location and I would hope others would benefit from it as well.