The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Riding with disability
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Riding with disability Discussions on how to ride with minor or major disabilities.

Active Threads
0 Speedometer Replacement - 2011 xl1200cp - how to remove
Last Post: hammer6315
Posted On: 9 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 868
0 Corona Virus
Last Post: hammer6315
Posted On: 16 Minutes Ago
Replies: 761
Views: 63,409
0 Hagerty Insurance
Last Post: Akdawg
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 502
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: ~Grind~
Replies: 1,671
Views: 225,189
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 17,903
Views: 1,047,709
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Tim The Grim
Replies: 48,034
Views: 7,716,139
0 fender Installation & Components
Last Post: FiftySixer
Replies: 9
Views: 277
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Replies: 4,762
Views: 636,369
0 1275 Kit and Krome Werks Headers?
Last Post: XL1275
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 244
4 1977 ironhead frame modification help
Last Post: Slytat
Replies: 5
Views: 436
0 CV-40 for 88’ 883 Still leaks overflow/rebuilt
Last Post: Mission1
Replies: 2
Views: 57
0 wavers
Last Post: ZCarFan
Replies: 7
Views: 127
0 900cc Cylinders
Last Post: Tim The Grim
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 149
0 tachometer on 2012 Custom
Last Post: The Doctor71
Replies: 2
Views: 71
0 Snippets
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 201
Views: 18,555
0 Kinda of a Dumb Question on Top End Build coming up
Last Post: XL1275
Replies: 0
Views: 32
0 Early Sportster Shock Absorber Disassembly
Last Post: Heff
Replies: 4
Views: 154
0 Rocker box leak on rear cylinder after 16 years (2004) old bike
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 16
Views: 170
0 New from Michigan
Replies: 13
Views: 216
0 Is the Sturgis Rally too risky?
Last Post: 1skullster1
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 78
Views: 1,850
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 20,882
Views: 2,144,341
0 Fuel Sputter & Much More
Last Post: wedge
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 167
0 Another Ohio Meet & Eat?
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 70
Views: 2,673
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Replies: 10,887
Views: 2,110,106
0 Rear wheel alignment
Replies: 14
Views: 435
0 low rpm problem
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 110
0 Help Identifying Pistons
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 523
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 3,181
Views: 300,298
5 Accidentally put Synthetic auto oil and caused engine to seize
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 444
0 Mini chrome tachometer & speedo set for springer
Last Post: FiftySixer
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 46
More...
Members Birthdays
Desertfox (70), gd714 (60), insalltm (57), seagullplayer (55), ac_tx, jon686 (49), NineSixteen (45), dstroy12 (38)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th August 2008
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
ed_in_az has a reputation beyond reputeed_in_az has a reputation beyond reputeed_in_az has a reputation beyond reputeed_in_az has a reputation beyond reputeed_in_az has a reputation beyond reputeed_in_az has a reputation beyond reputeed_in_az has a reputation beyond reputeed_in_az has a reputation beyond reputeed_in_az has a reputation beyond reputeed_in_az has a reputation beyond reputeed_in_az has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sleep Apnea - What you don't know can kill you.

Do you wake often at night, on your back, exhausted, with a dry mouth? Does your spouse/significant other say you snore?
Are you exhausted during the day?

One day you might not wake up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_apnea

http://www.medicinenet.com/sleep_apnea/article.htm

"it is estimated that only 10% of people with obstructive sleep apnea are being treated."

Until a few weeks ago I didn't know I had it. Now I recognize I've had it for decades. My wife says I've always snored, but about 6 weeks ago my wife got scared and woke me up. She said I sounded like I was choking to death. I probably was. A week later I woke myself up choking. I went to my doctor and he sent me for a "Sleep Study". Now I'm waiting on Insurance approval for a CPAP breathing machine.

Check out the articles and if you or someone you love have similar breathing difficulties get checked out. The life you save may be your own.
Old 25th August 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Xl1200R (only a memory)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Other Motorcycle Model: Road Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
jim&pamsbike is on a distinguished roadjim&pamsbike is on a distinguished roadjim&pamsbike is on a distinguished road

I discovered I had severe sleep apnea a little over two years ago, and have been on cpap treatment ever since. The cpap will change your life, you'll be amazed how much better you feel and how much more energy you have. Of course there will be an adjustment period, it will take you a little while to get used to the machine but once you do life will be great. If you have any questions you can send me a PM.

Jim
Old 25th August 2008
Assistant Administrator

Sportster/Buell Model: 1212 conversion/497 cams
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
xena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond repute

My cardiologist wants me to go in for the sleep study. I haven't scheduled it yet because of problems with my insurance. Will be interesting to see how many people post to this thread. Glad to hear you are on the path to feeling better Ed!

XLF Rules/Guidelines

XLF Guidelines II
*¸.•´¸.•´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ (¸.•*´¯`*•--->Xena
1212 Conversion 10:1 CR
SE 497 Cams, E1 clutch, Python 3 Slip ons
TC88A running Xena's (brand new) White Tiger Map

My 1212 Conversion Thread

Old 25th August 2008
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1986
Jackster has disabled reputation

I'm sorry you have that shit man, but damn did that sound read like a commercial.
Old 25th August 2008
Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
roadogette is a name known to allroadogette is a name known to allroadogette is a name known to allroadogette is a name known to allroadogette is a name known to allroadogette is a name known to allroadogette is a name known to allroadogette is a name known to allroadogette is a name known to allroadogette is a name known to allroadogette is a name known to all

I don't have it, but my BF does. If he doesn't have his machine I can't sleep. He has one at my house. It will be going to Milwaukee with him.
Old 25th August 2008
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xl1200c
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
grindbastard is a jewel in the roughgrindbastard is a jewel in the roughgrindbastard is a jewel in the roughgrindbastard is a jewel in the roughgrindbastard is a jewel in the roughgrindbastard is a jewel in the roughgrindbastard is a jewel in the roughgrindbastard is a jewel in the roughgrindbastard is a jewel in the roughgrindbastard is a jewel in the roughgrindbastard is a jewel in the rough

I'm going to mention this to my wife...she has said that she's worried about me before because she "swore that I stopped breathing". And I generally feel like shit after I sleep.

"...they mostly come at night......mostly."

2005 XL1200R - Arlen Ness Big Sucker AC, Cycle-Shack slip-ons, #185 Main/#45 Pilot, DynaTek Dyna 2000 Ignition, Forward Controls, 12" air shocks
2005 XL1200C - Stock as F*#k.
Old 25th August 2008
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda XL 125
Other Motorcycle Year: 1982
linkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nicelinkin5 is just really nice

Sleep apnea is pauses in your breathing while asleep, you always will start breathing again but it may be in the from of gasping as you wake from it. It causes cardiovascular problems in the long run and that is the part that will kill you if left untreated. You won't die in your sleep from forgetting to breathe.
Old 25th August 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
milmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_in_az View Post
Do you wake often at night, on your back, exhausted, with a dry mouth? Does your spouse/significant other say you snore?
Are you exhausted during the day?

One day you might not wake up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_apnea

http://www.medicinenet.com/sleep_apnea/article.htm

"it is estimated that only 10% of people with obstructive sleep apnea are being treated."

Until a few weeks ago I didn't know I had it. Now I recognize I've had it for decades. My wife says I've always snored, but about 6 weeks ago my wife got scared and woke me up. She said I sounded like I was choking to death. I probably was. A week later I woke myself up choking. I went to my doctor and he sent me for a "Sleep Study". Now I'm waiting on Insurance approval for a CPAP breathing machine.

Check out the articles and if you or someone you love have similar breathing difficulties get checked out. The life you save may be your own.
Are you overwieght, Dr told me that being overweight (like myself) Makes you more likely to develope Sleeo Apnea !
I snor so loudy that my wife often goes and sleeps in the spare bedroom in the middle of the night....

The sleep study sucks, They hook all kinds of stuff up to your body/head, and a breathing mask. Then tell you OK Go To Sleep !! LOL....

Good luck this can be dangerous !!
Old 25th August 2008

ed_in_az has a reputation beyond reputeed_in_az has a reputation beyond reputeed_in_az has a reputation beyond reputeed_in_az has a reputation beyond reputeed_in_az has a reputation beyond reputeed_in_az has a reputation beyond reputeed_in_az has a reputation beyond reputeed_in_az has a reputation beyond reputeed_in_az has a reputation beyond reputeed_in_az has a reputation beyond reputeed_in_az has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkin5 View Post
Sleep apnea is pauses in your breathing while asleep, you always will start breathing again but it may be in the from of gasping as you wake from it. It causes cardiovascular problems in the long run and that is the part that will kill you if left untreated. You won't die in your sleep from forgetting to breathe.
I'm on pain meds to sleep because of my back and shoulder. That's a different problem (and thread) I'm still working on to get to a Neurologist. A friend told me to just take more pills to get to sleep. I won't do it. This got me to thinking about people taking drugs for pain and maybe because they too can't sleep. I know of two that died in their sleep. Then there's Heath Ledger. Could these have had undiagnosed sleep apnea? They all were reported as "accidental overdoses". I have a hard time concentrating, remembering, staying awake due to lack of sleep. It's gotten worse with my recent pain problems. Did these other folks forget what pills they had already taken, and when? Did they just wake up during the night and take another dose 'cause they wanted to get back to sleep? Then they were so drugged that they're next sleep apnea episode didn't wake them up and they choked to death. I'm pretty sure the autopsy would come out the same.
Old 25th August 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by milmat1 View Post
Are you overwieght, Dr told me that being overweight (like myself) Makes you more likely to develope Sleeo Apnea !
I snor so loudy that my wife often goes and sleeps in the spare bedroom in the middle of the night....

The sleep study sucks, They hook all kinds of stuff up to your body/head, and a breathing mask. Then tell you OK Go To Sleep !! LOL....

Good luck this can be dangerous !!
I'm just average weight, but being overweight does make it more likely.

The study is definatley not fun. But quality of life is important. In the last few months as this has gotten worse for me I've quit riding my bike to work every day because I didn't feel safe anymore. I'm just not getting enough rest. As I suspected, and these posts have confirmed, I'm not alone in this condition on the forum. You guys and gals need to take care of yourselves.