The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Frame Mount EVO Sportster Talk (1986-2003 models)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Active Threads
0 68 XLCH - Insight Plz
Last Post: needspeed
Posted On: 3 Minutes Ago
Replies: 36
Views: 822
0 FNG from Oregon
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 41 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 40
0 Sup yall
Posted On: 41 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 90
0 Mid West Meet & Greet
Last Post: Bow only
Posted On: 42 Minutes Ago
Replies: 372
Views: 29,796
0 Hello from Centurion, Gauteng, South Africa
Posted On: 43 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 83
0 Help me identify this bike
Last Post: AKL1
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Views: 234
0 Never seen this before...
Last Post: smac74
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 45
Views: 3,721
0 Mikuni 42 on 883
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 30
Views: 1,298
0 Diagnostic code ?
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 140
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: ronccc
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 17,783
Views: 1,791,567
0 My take on the world ~ Photo by Trace
Last Post: sportytrace
Replies: 1,026
Views: 140,190
0 Marrying used speedometer
Last Post: decman
Replies: 2
Views: 60
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: sportytrace
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,429
Views: 189,467
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 6,726
Views: 928,015
0 WTB saddlebags
Last Post: Jcolleyoh
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 154
0 XL Forum will now be the Suzuki Intruder Forum
Last Post: rokytnji
Replies: 33
Views: 854
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 11,034
Views: 979,683
0 What did you do to your EFI Sporty today?
Last Post: mastiffhound
Replies: 3,959
Views: 775,078
0 Corona Virus
Last Post: Kbetts
Replies: 275
Views: 14,325
0 15 min rides
Last Post: doodah man
Replies: 50
Views: 1,174
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 16,196
Views: 922,414
0 Do people notice your bike?
Last Post: boomerguy
Replies: 1,222
Views: 339,144
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: RicThompson
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,593
Views: 589,109
0 Amazing without the windshield.
Last Post: boomerguy
Replies: 207
Views: 44,557
0 Carby cough
Last Post: connorneil13
Replies: 0
Views: 40
0 HF bike lift
Last Post: Bryan83taco
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Views: 131
0 1986-90 Evo Sportsters: What every owner should know but were afraid to ask
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 383
Views: 53,236
0 Need help picking new mufflers
Last Post: Joe_jeep
Views: 343
0 cycle shack 1.75" slip ons without a tune?
Last Post: Joe_jeep
Replies: 3
Views: 339
0 What if? race ITT 1250
Last Post: Tomcatt
Replies: 13
Views: 397
More...
Members Birthdays
garyschmidt (78), JicJac (70), alleybabe (62), Galewarning (56), wngdweeler (51), scooter (47), kariglam1 (45), HERDYAN (45), V-XL (43)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th October 2008
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: SOLD 883/1200 Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
Sportster/Buell Model #2: -
Sportster/Buell Year #2: -
Other Motorcycle Model: KTM 990 SMT
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
Erik is a splendid one to beholdErik is a splendid one to beholdErik is a splendid one to beholdErik is a splendid one to beholdErik is a splendid one to beholdErik is a splendid one to beholdErik is a splendid one to beholdErik is a splendid one to beholdErik is a splendid one to beholdErik is a splendid one to beholdErik is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelworker View Post
What was the appearance of the metal paticles that came out of your oil tank? Powder or flakes?

The more I think about the sound/noise, the more I doubt myself what I heard. Then again, my indy -with a good rep.- said it very well good be the bigend.
As far as the oil tank metal particles : Oil nut

and :
Old 7th October 2008

Erik is a splendid one to beholdErik is a splendid one to beholdErik is a splendid one to beholdErik is a splendid one to beholdErik is a splendid one to beholdErik is a splendid one to beholdErik is a splendid one to beholdErik is a splendid one to beholdErik is a splendid one to beholdErik is a splendid one to beholdErik is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by milmat1 View Post
Eric,
I am really hoping that you can simply re-build the top end and be back riding again, If the rods feel good. That would be the best case scenerio anyway. Then you don't even need to remove the engine!
I would take the oil pump off and apart, Just to check for damage. It's tight but will come off with the motor in the frame! Looks like it wont come out,just as your about to give up it falls out....LOL

Keep us posted Bro, Your nearly there now !
Thx Milmat !
That sure would be fine if it only would be the top-end..crossing my fingers. Have to work late rest of the week and me and the misses are going away the saterday, so no wrenching on the front cylinder till sundaymorning...

I'm planning on getting the oilpump off and dissamble every last bit of it
Not only for the sheer necessity of it, but just to feel and see how it all works. Being on a roll and such
Old 7th October 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
milmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
Thx Milmat !
That sure would be fine if it only would be the top-end..crossing my fingers. Have to work late rest of the week and me and the misses are going away the saterday, so no wrenching on the front cylinder till sundaymorning...

I'm planning on getting the oilpump off and dissamble every last bit of it
Not only for the sheer necessity of it, but just to feel and see how it all works. Being on a roll and such
Good job Erik !!...

After this you wont be afraid to tear into anything !..LOL

Talk to you Sunday maybe !

Matt
Old 12th October 2008

Default Disassembled front cylinder ; piston looks weird !

Another update with some pics.

Started with the front cylinder , some pics :

Then went on to remove the engine bolts. They must be loosened 1/8th turn at at time in a specific order :

The outside two bolts (1 and 2) where less thight ten both the inner ones (3 and 4)

Got the head off, and look at this : It seems like there has been a leak in the frontcylinder gasket ? Cause off the scattered carbon. What do you think ?

Bit fuzzy looking pic of the cylinder inside, after taking it off.It has no scuffing marks as far as I can see (contrary to the rear cylinder wall)

As with the rear cylinder I removed the piston pin and after that, the piston itself.
This front cylinder piston is deformed on the side nearest to the intake, see :

Any comments on what could have caused that ?

I then, like the other day with the rear cylinder, worked my way with the process of turning the engine nut forward, while trying to feel any up/down play in the rod on various positions. As with the rear one before ; I could not feel it. Nada.

Both of the base's packed and taped. Nothing will fall in.

Then I wanted to lift the bike up. I took the advise of Steelworker (thx) and got the rear footpegs off and bolted them back upside down, then I placed two axle stands under them :

I applied pressure on the front brake and taped the lever holding it that way.
The Axle stands made it easier for me to get to the oilpump :

Removed the feed, vent and return hose. (and had a oil resevoir and some papers ready to be used)
The hose fitting , wich I planned to leave as is, in the oil pump, got out while I was trying to get the hose off. Not a big deal I thought, but :The thread was broken ; half of it still stuck in the oilpump....
Then removed the 4 allen bolts. The front two are shorter then the 'back' two, by the way.

I got the oilpump off, and cleaned the two gerotors (one for feed and one for scavenge), and the plate separating the two. No visible damage.
Took the advise of the manual to measure the wear limits :
Both the scavenger and the feed gerotor had less then 0.004 inch of clearance while measuring them as a set.In fact I measured 0.002.

Then I measured the thickness of both gerotors, to see if there was a difference between inner and outer thickness; they were the same thickness.

This is the point I am at right now : Two pistons with severe damage, the rear cylinder wall scuffed, a broken piece of thread left in the oilpump,and -as far as this amateur relatively really unexperienced mechanic can feel - no up/down play in the pistonrods...

Please chime in : What should be my next step(s) ?
Old 12th October 2008
Senior Bike Builder

mjbogrand has disabled reputation

How are you going to have any bolts left over if you keep track of the project this way?Take all the fun out of it!

No better way to get intimate with a vehicle.Looks like you don't need much advice until you start going the other way.

With regards to the piston,Did the guy use racing fuel in this bike?
Looks like he did all he could wrong on assembling the engine.It's just like the carb/exhaust problem,every little thing has to be right on these "small" engines.If you don't put it together just right,something bad is going to happen.
I like your diagram for tightening the bolts.Good plan.

Hey send a picture to Wiseco of that piston,they may want it.They will definetly be able to tell you what happened to it.Tell them you aren't going after them so they don't get all deffencive.
Old 12th October 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbogrand View Post
How are you going to have any bolts left over if you keep track of the project this way?Take all the fun out of it!

No better way to get intimate with a vehicle.Looks like you don't need much advice until you start going the other way.

With regards to the piston,Did the guy use racing fuel in this bike?
Looks like he did all he could wrong on assembling the engine.It's just like the carb/exhaust problem,every little thing has to be right on these "small" engines.If you don't put it together just right,something bad is going to happen.
I like your diagram for tightening the bolts.Good plan.

Hey send a picture to Wiseco of that piston,they may want it.They will definetly be able to tell you what happened to it.Tell them you aren't going after them so they don't get all deffencive.
"The guy" is me, myself and I And I always filled her with 98 octane gasoline, and sometimes 95 RON.
Thx for the Wiseco tip !
Old 12th October 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
milmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond reputemilmat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Erik,
Hey man things are looking good ! It looks like maybe a top end job is all you will need to do. And thats much better than needing to get into the bottom end...
I can't compliment you enough on the excellent job you have done, The writeup and the pics are down right Professional. KEVM writes tech manuals as a Pro and I bet he would even be impressed with your job ! I don't know what you do for a living but you thing like an engineer !
We need to make this a sticky thread when your finished! I'll alert Bert to that !
I agree with MJBOGRAND send the pistons to wiesco and see what they say, They may even cut you a deal on some new ones. (If you want them again??)

The head gasket was leaking from the looks of it, And that may have caused the heat it took to destroy that piston. Both cylinders show signs of detonation so I would be looking close at the intake manifold when she goes back together.... You may have had more than one leak in this engine.

Take a flexable magnetic pick up tool and work it all around inside the crankcases. Then turn the motor a little and do it again, To see if there are any pieces of metal hiding down in there.??

Since the oil pump looks good, I think your ready to start cleaning stuff and finding parts to put this baby back together !!

You realize when your finished we will have to have a Video of this thing running !!!....LOL

Great Job !!
Old 13th October 2008
Senior Bike Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
"The guy" is me, myself and I And I always filled her with 98 octane gasoline, and sometimes 95 RON.
Thx for the Wiseco tip !
Now did you rebuild the engine once already?Did you buy this new?
I guess I was under the impression this was used and someone else had rebuilt it before you.This is the person that needs a talking to.Well if it is you,I'm guessing you are doing a lot of talking to your self
Old 13th October 2008
Senior Bike Builder

BTW the "ironhead" owners are still saying,what's the big deal?This is a monthly thing for them!
Well bi-annually!
Old 13th October 2008

Quote:
mjbogrand : Now did you rebuild the engine once already?Did you buy this new?
I guess I was under the impression this was used and someone else had rebuilt it before you.This is the person that needs a talking to.Well if it is you,I'm guessing you are doing a lot of talking to your self
To set the record straight : I had a mild conversion done by a local indy past winter. Only honed cylinders, a different airfilter and wiseco piston set. No headwork, plain vanilla. Are you saying he did a bad job ?

Quote:
mjbogrand : BTW the "ironhead" owners are still saying,what's the big deal?This is a monthly thing for them!
Well bi-annually!
Of course for many out here this is just a walk in the park, I'll be the last to say otherwise (for others).
For me it is a big deal, because I am not mechanically inclined, it's my first time to really do such a thing, and just felt both the need ($$-wise) and the inspiration from a lot of the guys and girls outhere.
And about the Ironhead owners : I respect every one of them. But even they had a "first time" once, and still know how that felt.