The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Sportster Motorcycle Project
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Active Threads
0 New to me 55kh
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 14 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 34
0 82 E84 L84-85 charging systems?
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 19 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 133
0 Nup 1009 (Bearing)
Last Post: dave76
Posted On: 48 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 11
0 S&S Super E Carb
Last Post: Steve9
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 42
0 What brand synthetic oil do you use
Last Post: jp2code
Replies: 505
Views: 131,020
0 Whats the Ironhead TOP SPEED?
Last Post: mikethebike61
Replies: 141
Views: 18,263
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 22,190
Views: 2,269,418
0 79-85 Breather Vent Mod - Adding a Secondary Vent Hose at 6:00 Position
Last Post: mikethebike61
Replies: 39
Views: 1,171
0 so it's officially ended
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 233
0 AGM battery for 76' XLH
Last Post: forqueue
Replies: 9
Views: 281
5 1200 or 883
Last Post: Clevspeed
Replies: 1,122
Views: 356,508
0 Can I use heads and jugs (top end) from 2001-1200
Last Post: ReddTigger
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 238
0 New build. Won't start. Funky compression numbers
Last Post: Nitro57xl
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 37
Views: 1,412
0 Potential future changes for the Sportster motor?
Last Post: NLXL
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 52
Views: 2,167
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 48,397
Views: 7,810,834
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 18,112
Views: 1,068,601
0 Exhaust differences from 98 to 99
Last Post: Cablejudge
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Views: 100
0 New pn OEM battery for Sporty 04 up
Last Post: shanneba
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 263
0 KT - 2020 - Where Eagles Dare
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 61
Views: 14,196
0 Sportster book
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Views: 142
0 cant bleed my brake please help !
Last Post: LLOYD883
Replies: 18
Views: 789
0 My take on the world ~ Photo by Trace
Last Post: LLOYD883
Replies: 1,117
Views: 166,292
0 2020 east coast meet and greet.
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 217
Views: 18,052
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,837
Views: 664,729
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 11,081
Views: 2,179,817
0 Range With Carby 4.5 Gal Tank
Last Post: Nicktater
Replies: 113
Views: 55,732
0 What jets do you use?
Last Post: Thack
Replies: 245
Views: 83,538
5 Red Shift cams similar to Jackhammer 570 ?
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 479
0 My 08' Nightster
Last Post: XL1275
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 715
0 Sportster fans, tell us why!
Last Post: boomerguy
Posted On: 17 Hours Ago
Replies: 686
Views: 182,187
More...
Members Birthdays
moe (76), demgdaj (70), Playtoe (65), shanneba, Charlie Allen (61), the cowboy way (61), P-Diddly (58), Utahsporty (57), evo-pete (56), stf420 (55), NevadaRob (53), Punisher (51), Razor_Reznor (46), Paycheck (43), jfs92579 (41)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st November 2008
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 08
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
Krypto is a splendid one to beholdKrypto is a splendid one to beholdKrypto is a splendid one to beholdKrypto is a splendid one to beholdKrypto is a splendid one to beholdKrypto is a splendid one to beholdKrypto is a splendid one to beholdKrypto is a splendid one to beholdKrypto is a splendid one to beholdKrypto is a splendid one to beholdKrypto is a splendid one to behold
Default Springer Project Phase II

She's back on the rack, In for part 2 of Nightster surgery! I picked out a seat and figured out what to do about the ECM & Power Commander units. I also upon some prodding from the ladies, decided to put some passenger pegs on too. Now that I removed the ECM bucket from the fender, there is space to add weight without worrying about grinding the bottom of the bucket off with the tire.
Here's pic's of what has been done so far.....

We made a bracket to get this La Rosa seat to fit to the frame, and fashoned a pan to fit the space below it.

A bracket welded to the battery strap holds the Power Commander where we can get to it easy for adjustments if needed. (it's upside down due to wire routing). I fastened it to the bracket with some pretty strong 2 sided tape.

The PCIII connector is located in front of the rear wheel against the frame in a protective box made to fit and a strap to hold it in place.

The ECM Is fitted in a metal container painted with rhino coating and is bolted under the front of the swingarm. There are through bolts that hold it in through the holes in the corner of the ECM. I am going to seal it in with black fire-stop patch to keep it watertight.

All the plastic was removed from under the rear fender, the hole was welded gone, and I removed just enough so the fender lined up with the support brace.

Footpeg brackets that will lift them above the Cherry Bomb.

Yet to be finished, the rear shocks which are progressive 412 covered black with bullit top covers, and speedo relocation, I found a rocker box bracket that I have on the way. also several more shiny parts that I want Black...
Old 1st November 2008
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlc 1200 sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
daggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to all

looks realy good man, did you just drill and tap some holes in yr swingarm for those passenger foot peg brackets?

the seat looks killer, what size are the springs? that lip on the back of it looks like you could still pull pritty hard off the line without worrying about flyin off, that is one thing i hate about my seat.
Old 1st November 2008
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200
Sportster/Buell Year: -93
mullemeck is just really nicemullemeck is just really nicemullemeck is just really nicemullemeck is just really nicemullemeck is just really nicemullemeck is just really nicemullemeck is just really nicemullemeck is just really nicemullemeck is just really nicemullemeck is just really nicemullemeck is just really nice

the seat looks really good on the bike and fits nice with the springer!
Old 1st November 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 07
nightsterRyder is an unknown quantity at this point

The seat is beautiful. Where did you get that?
Old 1st November 2008
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Sportster/Buell Model #2: ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 74
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GSXR600
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
vtdrugs has a spectacular aura aboutvtdrugs has a spectacular aura aboutvtdrugs has a spectacular aura aboutvtdrugs has a spectacular aura aboutvtdrugs has a spectacular aura aboutvtdrugs has a spectacular aura aboutvtdrugs has a spectacular aura aboutvtdrugs has a spectacular aura aboutvtdrugs has a spectacular aura aboutvtdrugs has a spectacular aura aboutvtdrugs has a spectacular aura about

nice set up...but words to the wise....those ecm connectors are not water friendly! I had a similar set up going, until my bike started running like crap. took it to the stealer and they said water just ran outta the plugs going into the ecm. since then i dropped the pcIII and went with a sert w/ dyno tune. a little more pricey, but less hardware and a piece of mind that next time i ride in the rain, my bike won't f up.
I hate deer!
Old 1st November 2008
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 08
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
Krypto is a splendid one to beholdKrypto is a splendid one to beholdKrypto is a splendid one to beholdKrypto is a splendid one to beholdKrypto is a splendid one to beholdKrypto is a splendid one to beholdKrypto is a splendid one to beholdKrypto is a splendid one to beholdKrypto is a splendid one to beholdKrypto is a splendid one to beholdKrypto is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtdrugs View Post
nice set up...but words to the wise....those ecm connectors are not water friendly! I had a similar set up going, until my bike started running like crap. took it to the stealer and they said water just ran outta the plugs going into the ecm. since then i dropped the pcIII and went with a sert w/ dyno tune. a little more pricey, but less hardware and a piece of mind that next time i ride in the rain, my bike won't f up.
I considered this dilemma prior to design. all components are in containers that I will be sealing with a 3M waterproofing product that we use for high voltage splicing. It comes in pads about the size of an index card. It's black & stretches around the splices then adheres to itself and conforms to the wiring and seals out moisture. They use a simular product for sealing the A/C tubing as it penetrates the firewall of your car. Also due to fenderless design, I don't anticipate doing much riding in the rain. My bike to me is like a roller coaster, It's a blast to ride, takes my mind off of all that is unworthy! however, I wouldn't consider riding a roller coaster in the rain, kinda sucks the fun right out of it...

Last edited by Krypto; 2nd November 2008 at 00:48..
Old 1st November 2008
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883/1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
gearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura about

Very nice work, I would have to say your sportster is one of my favorites on this forum.
03 Vivid Black 883/1250, with 04 1200r/XB heads, Andrews N4 cams, Hurricane push rods.040 shorter than stock. Dyna 2000i ignition, Screaming Eagle ignition coil and wires. V&H Straight Shots, Generic tear drop with 3in wide K&N filter, 48 slow, 175 main, NOKH needle shimmed .043. Progressive front springs, 412 rear shocks. ♠ 79.5 HP, 77.96 TQ ♠ ~Kevin~
Old 1st November 2008
Riding with Angels

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 C Chopper
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Likemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

looks very nice. i had my ecm in the same place but moved it because of water. i thought like you about sealing it up. but i am afraid with heating and cooling condensation wil get it . all computers heat up and in an airtight space when it cools stnds to reason you will get condensation. but who knows someones got to try it. your bike looks great. i like the brown seat and the footpeg mounts. very nice job keep those pics coming.

Old 1st November 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Gone...
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: The Beast (M109R)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
snowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud of

Nice job!!! Very well thought out...

Always liked the LaRosa seats...

Looking forward to seeing the cherry bomb on the exhaust!

***RIP***
--Mr. JIMI
--JOHNNY G
--BryanEOD
Old 4th November 2008
Riding with Angels

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 C Chopper
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Likemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond repute
Default ecm and power commander

heres the pic