The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Active Threads
0 Nup 1009 (Bearing)
Last Post: juzyHD
Posted On: 15 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 29
0 S&S Super E Carb
Last Post: jp2code
Posted On: 23 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 59
0 79-85 Breather Vent Mod - Adding a Secondary Vent Hose at 6:00 Position
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 31 Minutes Ago
Replies: 40
Views: 1,211
0 Generator conversion kit question
Last Post: 77IRHD
Posted On: 33 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 9
0 Potential future changes for the Sportster motor?
Last Post: retread08
Posted On: 39 Minutes Ago
Replies: 53
Views: 2,198
0 front brake caliper interchange question
Last Post: JacksBrother
Posted On: 39 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 1,862
0 New to me 55kh
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Views: 60
0 82 E84 L84-85 charging systems?
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 139
0 What brand synthetic oil do you use
Last Post: jp2code
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 505
Views: 131,031
0 Whats the Ironhead TOP SPEED?
Last Post: mikethebike61
Replies: 141
Views: 18,273
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 22,190
Views: 2,269,473
0 so it's officially ended
Last Post: Tomcatt
Replies: 9
Views: 242
0 AGM battery for 76' XLH
Last Post: forqueue
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 282
5 1200 or 883
Last Post: Clevspeed
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,122
Views: 356,514
0 Can I use heads and jugs (top end) from 2001-1200
Last Post: ReddTigger
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 239
0 New build. Won't start. Funky compression numbers
Last Post: Nitro57xl
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 37
Views: 1,417
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 48,397
Views: 7,810,860
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 18,112
Views: 1,068,615
0 Exhaust differences from 98 to 99
Last Post: Cablejudge
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Views: 104
0 New pn OEM battery for Sporty 04 up
Last Post: shanneba
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 264
0 KT - 2020 - Where Eagles Dare
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 61
Views: 14,196
0 Sportster book
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Views: 150
0 cant bleed my brake please help !
Last Post: LLOYD883
Replies: 18
Views: 790
0 My take on the world ~ Photo by Trace
Last Post: LLOYD883
Replies: 1,117
Views: 166,426
0 2020 east coast meet and greet.
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 217
Views: 18,053
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,837
Views: 664,738
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 11,081
Views: 2,179,864
0 Range With Carby 4.5 Gal Tank
Last Post: Nicktater
Replies: 113
Views: 55,732
0 What jets do you use?
Last Post: Thack
Replies: 245
Views: 83,538
5 Red Shift cams similar to Jackhammer 570 ?
Posted On: 17 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 479
More...
Members Birthdays
moe (76), demgdaj (70), Playtoe (65), shanneba, Charlie Allen (61), the cowboy way (61), P-Diddly (58), Utahsporty (57), evo-pete (56), stf420 (55), NevadaRob (53), Punisher (51), Razor_Reznor (46), Paycheck (43), jfs92579 (41)
View Poll Results: Is this the cure for the dreaded ECM relocation??
Brilliant!!!!....this is exactly what I was looking for! 62 91.18%
Looks good but not functional 3 4.41%
This doesn't solve anything 3 4.41%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th April 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Cosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cosmo's ECM Relocation Mod

Well boys and girls....I must say I am very excited on my new find. As some of you may know from my other thread, I am in the process of tearing down, rewiring and rebuilding my 07' 1200N (http://xlforum.net/forums/s...d.php?t=466630). One of my goals is to run an 06' rear fender with a 06' Lepera Bare Bones seat. In order to do this I have to relocate the dreaded ECM.

Well I think I have the answer many might be waiting for 07'+ sporty's. I thought of a few places to put the ECM....like place it in a weatherproof box and mount it under the tranny between the frame rails or above the tranny above the starter. The more I looked at the bike with the motor installed and the position of the ECM above the starter it kinda defeated my purpose of rewiring the bike and keeping the area clear around the engine.

Someone else had placed the ECM under the battery cover, but what I didn't like was the fact that the cover would not close like it normally did and it stuck out further than the oil cover side. So I started playing around. I was getting interference between the battery cover and the mounted ECM. So I decided to modify the ECM. I cut two of the mounting posts off so that I could suck the ECM up under the lip of the oil tank. This helped a lot. I was only about 1/8-1/4" off from being back to normal.

So I pondered the situation...pulling the battery in and out...and the battery tray...the ECM...closing and opening the battery cover atleast a hundred times. Then it hit me. The battery! On the throttle side of the bike it is captured by the oil tank BUT the battery tray itself keeps the battery from hitting the tank. I pulled out the battery tray and cut the back strap and side off:

Here is a pic of the battery in the tray and you can see now it can slide past the edge:

My plan is to make a new strap that will hold both the battery and ECM to the tray. Here is a picture of the modified ECM. You can see the 2 mounting posts that I cut off and the fins that I removed:

Here are some pics of the battery and ECM taped together while I was doing the "fitting". You can see why I cut off the mounting posts on the ECM better here to allow me to move it up as far as possible under the oil tank and the fins and bottom posts for clearance to the battery cover:

Here are some pics of the cover closed....looks like it did when I first bought it:

Maybe it is just me but I am super excited about this. I know now that I can keep the entire area around my engine as clean as possible. What do you think???

If you don't stand behind our troops, please, feel free to stand in front of them!
Old 18th April 2009
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Iron
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Tike71 will become famous soon enoughTike71 will become famous soon enoughTike71 will become famous soon enoughTike71 will become famous soon enoughTike71 will become famous soon enoughTike71 will become famous soon enoughTike71 will become famous soon enough

That right there is genius. Can't wait to see the finished project.
Old 18th April 2009
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2008
08nightmare is an unknown quantity at this point

nice!! weatherproof, free, and still looks clean!
Old 18th April 2009
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
BgrMaine is on a distinguished roadBgrMaine is on a distinguished roadBgrMaine is on a distinguished road

Great job. That's good thinking. I've been thinking on this for a while now, trying to figure out how to get it down there without having the cover stick out. You've got the solution. Thanks for doing all the heavy thinking!
Old 18th April 2009

Cosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron71tike View Post
That right there is genius. Can't wait to see the finished project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08nightmare View Post
nice!! weatherproof, free, and still looks clean!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BgrMaine View Post
Great job. That's good thinking. I've been thinking on this for a while now, trying to figure out how to get it down there without having the cover stick out. You've got the solution. Thanks for doing all the heavy thinking!
Thanks guys....appreciate it.

It just dawned on me though....I've relocated my fuse blocks and crap that currently sits under the battery cover....so I wonder if this would work with the stock 07' wiring set-up? I think it is far enough back that it would clear the fuse blocks.

My excitement is that this was a big hold up on finishing up my wiring to the ECM/fuse blocks/TSM. I am also running a V&H Fuel Pak...from what I see I have a couple options for mounting it (would have more if I didn't relocate my ignition switch where I did...but I prefer my new ignition switch location) so it is just a matter of finalizing that and getting closer to getting the bike back on the road!
Old 18th April 2009
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: None
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200C/883C/883R-all sold
Other Motorcycle Model: Dyna FXD-sold
Brad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond repute

Don't have an ECM, but if I did, this would be the solution for me! ~ awesome!

Have some 'nanners!
Old 18th April 2009

Sportster/Buell Model: Gone...
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: The Beast (M109R)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
snowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud of

Will there be any issues with heat? Will you still have some airflow in there by the oil tank?

Maybe a slot in the cover with some cool mesh?

***RIP***
--Mr. JIMI
--JOHNNY G
--BryanEOD
Old 18th April 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
Will there be any issues with heat? Will you still have some airflow in there by the oil tank?

Maybe a slot in the cover with some cool mesh?
Russ, yeah air flow around the oil tank was a concern but after I made the mod the only part of the battery actually touching the oil tank is the upper edge. There is about 1/8" clearance just below that top rim of the battery and then it opens up as you go down to the bottom of the battery to I would say 1/4" or a little more.

Edit:
Just thought of something else, I have removed the large plastic piece that goes around the frame just in front of the battery (holds some wires, fuse blocks, etc) and the wires so I have essentially increased air flow to behind the oil tank cover.
Old 18th April 2009

Sportster/Buell Model: Gone...
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: The Beast (M109R)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
snowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer View Post
Russ, yeah air flow around the oil tank was a concern but after I made the mod the only part of the battery actually touching the oil tank is the upper edge. There is about 1/8" clearance just below that top rim of the battery and then it opens up as you go down to the bottom of the battery to I would say 1/4" or a little more.

Edit:
Just thought of something else, I have removed the large plastic piece that goes around the frame just in front of the battery (holds some wires, fuse blocks, etc) and the wires so I have essentially increased air flow to behind the oil tank cover.

Excellent!!!!
Old 18th April 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
Excellent!!!!
Just a follow-up...here is a pic looking from the rear cylinder back towards the oil tank (pic is a little blurry because it was a pretty tight shot):

You can see what I was talking about as far as it touching just at the top of the battery and the clearance between the battery and oil tank. It doesn't look like it touches from this angle, but the lip you see on the oil tank slants towards the ground as you go further to the back of the bike.

The only wire I'll have coming through here will be the negative wire coming from the negative lug on the battery that you can see in the pic. So I should have an increase in air-flow through this area.