The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > VENDORS > NRHS - High Performance
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Active Threads
0 gasket sealant
Last Post: SonWon
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 231
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: JimVonBaden
Posted On: 23 Minutes Ago
Replies: 53,057
Views: 8,990,469
0 "S" model specific Q&A
Last Post: 84rzv500r
Posted On: 29 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2,109
Views: 471,570
0 Massachusetts 2022
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 52 Minutes Ago
Replies: 34
Views: 1,080
0 Coulda' - Shoulda' - Woulda' - Solenoid/Bendix?
Last Post: sungod
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 67
Views: 1,874
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 34,075
Views: 4,109,893
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 26,941
Views: 1,562,766
5 Late 50s XL to 60s XL Front End Compatibility
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 312
0 Informed reviews!
Last Post: 2cam
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 677
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: cal43
Replies: 4,952
Views: 1,019,109
0 This is gonna hurt.
Replies: 9,274
Views: 2,189,393
0 video & pics
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 799
Views: 84,218
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 12,725
Views: 3,078,318
5 Removing primary engine sprocket nut with heat gun, special caution needed?
Last Post: ericfreeman
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 416
0 VOES issues? Adjustments needed?
Last Post: Edster
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 207
0 Primary thread
Last Post: RandallM
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 23
Views: 620
0 Alternative to stock clutch cable?
Last Post: ChinCactus
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 218
0 re rocker arm cover spewing out oil
Last Post: 11B40
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 155
0 weight loss thread
Last Post: Steve9
Replies: 77
Views: 29,120
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 2,227
Views: 401,663
0 Another question re: Microsquirt
Last Post: t120r
Replies: 61
Views: 1,633
0 What song do you have stuck in your head?
Last Post: iNSaNeSHaNe
Replies: 2,495
Views: 279,253
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: cycowrencher
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 7,874
Views: 1,370,343
0 Upside Down Monoshock IH - A Longterm Project
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 337
Views: 75,246
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Ironhead)
Last Post: tiderider
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 24
Views: 290,795
0 Sportster Tracker Wheel and Tire Questions
Last Post: Big Al
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 296
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 3,742
Views: 443,576
0 Microsquirt EFI Conversion
Last Post: t120r
Posted On: 17 Hours Ago
Replies: 62
Views: 7,881
0 Rear Brake Squeal Fixed
Last Post: John Harper
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 846
0 Black Bike Bible
Last Post: cycowrencher
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 2,586
Views: 1,274,598
More...
Members Birthdays
Steph (56), yubman (51), Sporty1971 (51), Windesch (49), Mark_Bench (45), motherduce (43), sgtfry (40), Mrtechit101 (31)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd May 2007
Senior Chief Know It All

Gone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud of

NRHS carries the 30 tooth sprockets.
Old 23rd May 2007
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XL1430R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda XR650L
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
smackie is a name known to allsmackie is a name known to allsmackie is a name known to allsmackie is a name known to allsmackie is a name known to allsmackie is a name known to allsmackie is a name known to allsmackie is a name known to allsmackie is a name known to allsmackie is a name known to allsmackie is a name known to all

what is a stock on an 883 and a 1200 (04-up)

next does anyone have a picture of the top of the heads (04-up) looking for the drains....
2005 XL1200R "The Road Runner"-NRHS Stage 3 heads 88 kit Mikuni 45 SE 575 RB 2-1 pipe tc88a w/custom map Hurricane 3" intake RB AFR Gauge Progressive Front/rear springs/shocks fork brace intiminators metzlers hurricane oil filter steel brake lines golan petcock badlander seat.... the "Death trap" custom is being built
Old 23rd May 2007
XL Forum Gold Supporting Vendor

NRHS Sales is an unknown quantity at this point

04s and up have a lower gears inside the primary plus a 28 tooth on the secondary whereas a 1200 has a 29. The secondary is not that big of a deal but I believe the primary gearing is something like 17% lowewr than the 1200s. that is a lot. To compensate I am thinking at least a 30 tooth on the seconadry is needed for someone who drives on the highways a lot. I just do not like seeing bikes that are running 250 degree oil temps at the bag. That is way too high.

But if the majority of your miles is done at 70 mph or less I do not think you have anything to worry about.
Old 23rd May 2007
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883/1250 Stage3
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell S1 White Lightning
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1998
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K1300S
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
cjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nice
Default Drainage Test

Performed the head drainage test today. I reinstalled the old seals just to get an idea of the level the oil would need to get to if the seals became submerged.

I put the head back on the bike with it on the jack so everything would be level and poured oil into the head to watch it drain and see if the seal became submerged.

Conclusion: the seals shouldn't become submerged, at least that's my opinion from watching how fast the head drained. There will be oil around the spring seats at all times and I plan on testing whether or not any oil can get past the guides on the outside...... I highly doubt it but might as well look anyway while I have the chance.

I can't be 100% certain on this without looking at it with the bike running, but that's beyond my capabilities at the moment. As the springs and valves only receive splash oiling and I poured oil into the head from the bottle and watched it drain rather quickly I'm 95% sure of my conclusion.

The head ready for testing

Oil poured in and draining

Oil level at the intake valve when it starts to drain to the exhaust side

Oil level at the exhaust valve when draining stops, the oil you see is held there by the spring seat. At no time did the level become so great as to submerge the exhaust valve seal.

This is as high as the level got at the intake valve as I squirted oil into it with a turkey baster. I would think that is a higher volume of oil than it normally sees from the splash oiling.

This is the drain in the exhaust pocket. You might be able to dress up the entrance with a burr to enhance flow to the drain, but I don't think it would be necessary as it drains really well from what I could see and the spring seat above it might negate any advantage you got from doing so.

Next up for me is to blast everything clean with walnut shells, and check for leakage past the outside of the guides, depending on the results I will reassemble the motor with the new (old style) seals and see how it goes.

Back soon, Chris
Old 23rd May 2007
I think I like Sportsters

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L (sorta) & a 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200CX
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2016
Other Motorcycle Model: XR1200X
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Screw Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond repute

CJ - That's good info. I guess what we would really need to know is the "oil flow rate" of the engine when at higher RPM's to really validate it (but I agree your probably dumping more in than the engine could push up there). In other words, if the engine is able to get a quart of oil into the rockers every 10 seconds, 30 seconds, 1 minutes or whatever, then try to dump that much oil in at one time and see how quickly it drains in that time period. Does that make sense?

Is there a reasonable way to figure out how much oil is getting up there? I guess if you knew the oil pressure and the circumference of the inlet then you could do calculations (the math would probably be beyond me, but from my firefighting days, I believe there's relatively easy calculations for flow through a known size hose at a given pressure). That brings up a point, does anyone know what oil pressures these bikes see at various RPM's?

Like I said I like the test your doing, just wondering if we can make it more scientific and less subjective?
2012 - XR1200X (XR)
2016 - 1200CX Roadster (new one)
2007 - 883L/90" -current project - (Black bike)
Old 23rd May 2007
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Other Motorcycle Model: KTM MXC 250
Other Motorcycle Year: 1996
jrclark19 will become famous soon enoughjrclark19 will become famous soon enoughjrclark19 will become famous soon enoughjrclark19 will become famous soon enoughjrclark19 will become famous soon enoughjrclark19 will become famous soon enoughjrclark19 will become famous soon enoughjrclark19 will become famous soon enough
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcstang View Post
That brings up a point, does anyone know what oil pressures these bikes see at various RPM's?
I don't have my manaul in front of me but if I recall

Idle 8-12
4500 12-17
2004 XL 1200R, SE II, One Off K&N A/C, 42mm Flatside, TC88A(Turbota Map), 10R12 PP Plugs, NRHS Stage 2 Heads, NRHS Hurricane Forged Pistions(10.3:1), Red Shift .567(Welded #2 Gear), Jims Hydrosolid Tappets, Andrews Adj Pushrod, H-D Roller Rockers, 04A Flywheels, Barnett Kevlar Extra Plate Kit, Pingel Petcock, SYN3, Spun Alum Gauges, 1200C Headlight, One Off Rear Brake Lever, 1200S Forks,SE Fork Brace, Progressive 418 Shocks, SE Tires,Misc. Black Goodies....

Run what ya brung, and HOPE you brung enough!!!!!
Old 23rd May 2007
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883/1250 Stage3
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell S1 White Lightning
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1998
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K1300S
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
cjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nice

If someone can figure out how much goes up I'll dump it in and time the drain.

I pumped oil into the intake pocket with a turkey baster and am positive that was more flow than you would see coming from the port in the rocker arm where the springs and valves get their oil from, I'll try to get a pic of the orifice for you.

You are correct it could be more accurate with flow numbers, all I really wanted to see was whether the oil could get high enough to submerge the seal before it went to the drain on the exhaust side and if it would pool up enough to submerge the exhaust side.....it doesn't, and my drains aren't plugged which was another concern as I used the Yamabond for a bottom gasket on my cylinders.

I'm pretty happy with the results as it answered several questions for me, but if anyone can come up with the flow rate and volume I'll gladly try it for you guys.

Chris
Old 23rd May 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
CBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud of

Another consideration is that you probably used cold oil. I wonder how hot oil would flow. With 20w-50 in theory doesn't it flow like a 20 weight oil when cold and then a 50 weight oil when hot? I am not sure what difference that would make (probably not much if any), but it is another factor to consider.
Old 23rd May 2007
XL Forum Gold Supporting Vendor

NRHS Sales is an unknown quantity at this point

The one unknown we can't figure out is when the engine is running at high speed is there any kind of presure being created that might slow down the drainage from the top? I do not know the answer to that.
Old 23rd May 2007
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Other Motorcycle Model: KTM MXC 250
Other Motorcycle Year: 1996
jrclark19 will become famous soon enoughjrclark19 will become famous soon enoughjrclark19 will become famous soon enoughjrclark19 will become famous soon enoughjrclark19 will become famous soon enoughjrclark19 will become famous soon enoughjrclark19 will become famous soon enoughjrclark19 will become famous soon enough
Smile I tried

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjburr View Post
If someone can figure out how much goes up I'll dump it in and time the drain.

I pumped oil into the intake pocket with a turkey baster and am positive that was more flow than you would see coming from the port in the rocker arm where the springs and valves get their oil from, I'll try to get a pic of the orifice for you.

You are correct it could be more accurate with flow numbers, all I really wanted to see was whether the oil could get high enough to submerge the seal before it went to the drain on the exhaust side and if it would pool up enough to submerge the exhaust side.....it doesn't, and my drains aren't plugged which was another concern as I used the Yamabond for a bottom gasket on my cylinders.

I'm pretty happy with the results as it answered several questions for me, but if anyone can come up with the flow rate and volume I'll gladly try it for you guys.

Chris
We have a program here at work we use to caculate such things but there are a lot of variables, pressure, hole size and length, as well as the properties of the fluid. Even though the oil feed to the top end is pressureized and the return is gravity feed the drain for the top end is atleast 2-3 time larger than the hole in the pushrods, I can't see the oil not being able to drain fast enough if every is ass right

Side note I was looking at my bike last night with the top end removed and the cam cover off. The drain comes down through the cyl's and into the left side of the case transfers over to the right side case half and then into the camcase compartment it looks to me like there are 2 maybe three 90° turns and if the goop H-D use to seal the case halfs cloged the transfer ports between the two halfs I could maybe see a drain problem.

I looked on goodson page and they do make different O.D. sizes for the guides and the even put an o-ring at the top to prevent oil passing by, I could see a problem here if the machineist did do his job correctly.