The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > VENDORS > NRHS - High Performance
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Active Threads
0 gasket sealant
Last Post: SonWon
Posted On: 18 Minutes Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 231
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: JimVonBaden
Posted On: 40 Minutes Ago
Replies: 53,057
Views: 8,990,469
0 "S" model specific Q&A
Last Post: 84rzv500r
Posted On: 46 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2,109
Views: 471,570
0 Massachusetts 2022
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 34
Views: 1,080
0 Coulda' - Shoulda' - Woulda' - Solenoid/Bendix?
Last Post: sungod
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 67
Views: 1,874
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 34,075
Views: 4,109,893
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 26,941
Views: 1,562,766
5 Late 50s XL to 60s XL Front End Compatibility
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 312
0 Informed reviews!
Last Post: 2cam
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 677
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: cal43
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,952
Views: 1,019,109
0 This is gonna hurt.
Replies: 9,274
Views: 2,189,393
0 video & pics
Replies: 799
Views: 84,218
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Replies: 12,725
Views: 3,078,318
5 Removing primary engine sprocket nut with heat gun, special caution needed?
Last Post: ericfreeman
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 416
0 VOES issues? Adjustments needed?
Last Post: Edster
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 207
0 Primary thread
Last Post: RandallM
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 23
Views: 620
0 Alternative to stock clutch cable?
Last Post: ChinCactus
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 218
0 re rocker arm cover spewing out oil
Last Post: 11B40
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 155
0 weight loss thread
Last Post: Steve9
Replies: 77
Views: 29,120
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 2,227
Views: 401,663
0 Another question re: Microsquirt
Last Post: t120r
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 61
Views: 1,633
0 What song do you have stuck in your head?
Last Post: iNSaNeSHaNe
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,495
Views: 279,253
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: cycowrencher
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 7,874
Views: 1,370,343
0 Upside Down Monoshock IH - A Longterm Project
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 337
Views: 75,246
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Ironhead)
Last Post: tiderider
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 24
Views: 290,795
0 Sportster Tracker Wheel and Tire Questions
Last Post: Big Al
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 296
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 17 Hours Ago
Replies: 3,742
Views: 443,576
0 Microsquirt EFI Conversion
Last Post: t120r
Posted On: 17 Hours Ago
Replies: 62
Views: 7,881
0 Rear Brake Squeal Fixed
Last Post: John Harper
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 846
0 Black Bike Bible
Last Post: cycowrencher
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 2,586
Views: 1,274,598
More...
Members Birthdays
Steph (56), yubman (51), Sporty1971 (51), Windesch (49), Mark_Bench (45), motherduce (43), sgtfry (40), Mrtechit101 (31)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd May 2007
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883/1250 Stage3
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell S1 White Lightning
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1998
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K1300S
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
cjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackie View Post
CJ, just curious but did you try plugging the drain holes and see if it will fill up enough to submerge the seals? ( I would use a simple foam style earplug)

the reason I ask is becasue i kept springing rocker box cover leaks (even after modding the covers and better seals). now this is much higher then the valve seals but it was a pretty steady stream (at high rpms) and its always on the exhaust side front and back (lowest point). now to have a stream like it did that dropped off when the rpm was lower (more like seeping then).makes me wonder if that pump will overcome and flow enough fluid to fil those heads up...

basically if drains were plugged would it overfill it?

thanks
yes, if the drains were plugged it would overfill to the point of spewing oil at the seams and submerge the seals.
Old 23rd May 2007
XL Forum Gold Supporting Vendor

NRHS Sales is an unknown quantity at this point

Tony,
Unfortunately I think you will use some oil when you are on the freeway. But once you get to the hill country I do not think you will be using much. I am really hoping that the 30 tooth sprockets will help slow these conversions down and resolve this oil use issue. If it does it is a reasonably priced fix at $60 for a sprocket.
Old 24th May 2007
Senior Chief Know It All

Gone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRHS Sales View Post
Aaron and I are going to do an experiment this weeend if the weather holds out. We are going to take my stock 07 883 and his 100+hp 04 883 converted to 1250 out for a long highway ride. We are then going to take temp readings using a lazer temp gauge and just see how much hotter his bike runs than mine does at various speeds. If nothing else we can see how much difference the conversions affect temps.
Hey, this sounds like a company boon-doggle! A fun-ride supposedly related to "work"!
Old 24th May 2007
Senior Chief Know It All

Gone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=cjburr;745538]Gee......I was told the longevity of my bike would be better than stock as all the tolerances would be optimized and better than stock parts were used.
now you guys are saying I can't cruise down the highway at 4000rpm or more without losing inordinate amounts of oil and having excessive engine wear ???
I'm not buying it.
If this is the case I see no reason for anyone with an 883 to buy a big bore kit and NRHS and all the rest might as well shut their doors to this portion of the Sportster community.
QUOTE]

It's no different than the hot-rodder who puts high-compression pistons, high-flow heads, and really stiff cams in his Nova/Mustang/Dart/etc. with an automatic transmission. He suddenly finds out he has to run a high-stall converter to make it driveable and the high-stall converter puts tremendous heat into the tranny fluid, due to the increased converter slippage. So, he adds a cooler to keep it under control on the highway, only to discover he has to go to a larger radiator to keep the modified engine from boiling over, etc. It's all a trade-off.
Plus, why would a person want to run 4,000 rpm on the highway with such a big engine? Even high-rev, big-bore sport bikes don't arrive at the dealer with such an appetite for self-destruction.

Last edited by Gone; 24th May 2007 at 01:01..
Old 24th May 2007
I think I like Sportsters

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L (sorta) & a 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200CX
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2016
Other Motorcycle Model: XR1200X
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Screw Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyhds View Post
There are 4 of us leaving Friday morning to the Hill Country, back on Monday.

A few things I have to think about ?

Do I trailer down there, so I can stay off the highway ? I don't think so.

Do I ask my riding buddies, Hey can we keep the speed down to 65 mph ?
Yea, they will be laughing at me all the way down there.

I changed my oil and filter to straight 50 W, and I am carrying 2 extra qts.
Did I bring enough oil ?

Also, will have to be constantly checking my oil temps and oil level.

Are we having fun yet ?
Imagine that "fun" the whole way to Alaska from Pennsylvania, 10,000 miles... hence why I'm trying to throw anything at it to "fix" (read band-aid) just to get by. Should have the 30T by the weekend, but probably won't get it on until early next week. I guess I'll have the Jagg oil cooler from NRHS sometime next week (sound right Dan?). Once I install the oil cooler I'll switch to synthetic.

Any thoughts on what grade of synthetic I should use? I want to stick with the Syn3 from Harley simply for my trip to Alaska so I know I can get the same oil along the way if needed.

My buddy that has been helping me out has politely dropped some hints that he's getting tired of me being over there, so I just don't have the time to work on this like some of you guys.
2012 - XR1200X (XR)
2016 - 1200CX Roadster (new one)
2007 - 883L/90" -current project - (Black bike)
Old 24th May 2007
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883/1250 Stage3
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell S1 White Lightning
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1998
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K1300S
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
cjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Wood View Post
It's no different than the hot-rodder who puts high-compression pistons, high-flow heads, and really stiff cams in his Nova/Mustang/Dart/etc. with an automatic transmission. He suddenly finds out he has to run a high-stall converter to make it driveable and the high-stall converter puts tremendous heat into the tranny fluid, due to the increased converter slippage. So, he adds a cooler to keep it under control on the highway, only to discover he has to go to a larger radiator to keep the modified engine from boiling over, etc. It's all a trade-off.
Plus, why would a person want to run 4,000 rpm on the highway with such a big engine? Even high-rev, big-bore sport bikes don't arrive at the dealer with such an appetite for self-destruction.
Been there done that, 450hp, 347 stroker, 6 speed Mustang never stopped me from cruising down the highway at all, quite to the contrary, but that's apples and oranges.

My point is I have the oil cooler and the motor is fine except for this oil problem with the seals. Once I put the new seals in and get going again there is no reason I can't have what others here have, a bike that doesn't overheat and can cruise down the highway at 4000rpm. If the gears on the primary side need to be changed so be it, but these bikes shouldn't be regulated to running 4000rpm and lower, if they are what's the point in having one ??

Are oil changes and topping off going to be regulated by how many times you take it to redline, or take a 10 mile high speed cruise ?? I do that every day going to work

If I wanted a bike to cruise around on at those rpm's I would have bought a BT.

This is a crock.....if the Buells can do it then we need to know why so our Sporties can too.

Does Aaron's 100+hp Sportster use oil ?? it's an 04 if I'm correct.
Old 24th May 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1218rr turbo
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
rottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond repute

I am glad I have a 93 that just leaks. Anyone feel better yet? I am sure in the end it will be worked out and we will all be bombing down the road.
Spoiled but definitely not rotten. Started life as a black 1993, 1200 Now-1218, Home ported 2009 FI heads, Andrews N6 cams, Dyna2Ki, JMC aluminum swingarm, Chainsikle custom mid forward controls, GBC inverted front end, 3 degree wide-glide trees and 5 degree raked cups. 18x3.5 fatspoke rear with 150/60 and 21x3.5 with 120/70.
Old 24th May 2007
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 06 Redneck Mutant
wildwill8 is on a distinguished roadwildwill8 is on a distinguished roadwildwill8 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjburr View Post
Been there done that, 450hp, 347 stroker, 6 speed Mustang never stopped me from cruising down the highway at all, quite to the contrary, but that's apples and oranges.

these bikes shouldn't be regulated to running 4000rpm and lower, if they are what's the point in having one ??

Are oil changes and topping off going to be regulated by how many times you take it to redline, or take a 10 mile high speed cruise ?? I do that every day going to work

If I wanted a bike to cruise around on at those rpm's I would have bought a BT.

I realy dont think anyu harley was make to running High RPM's for Very Long I feel this way if I cant bet you in the 1st 1/4 miles why I need to chase you down. Heck if I want a High RPM Bike I would get a Jap Bike But if you want an stump Puller Keep the HD and Smoke they ass from Red light to Red light.
Old 24th May 2007
Senior Chief Know It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjburr View Post
My point is I have the oil cooler and the motor is fine except for this oil problem with the seals. Once I put the new seals in and get going again there is no reason I can't have what others here have, a bike that doesn't overheat and can cruise down the highway at 4000rpm. If the gears on the primary side need to be changed so be it, but these bikes shouldn't be regulated to running 4000rpm and lower, if they are what's the point in having one ??
By your logic (and apparently many other 883 converted owners), I should be able to ride my Hayabusa regularly on the highway at two-thirds of factory redline, or somewhere in third gear at about 7,260 rpm. 600cc sportbikes would be running the highways at 10,000 rpm - in either first or second gear. Will they take the abuse? Absolutely. Is it good for them? That's questionable..........
Old 24th May 2007
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

This 4000 rpm limit is a bunch of bunk. This is not a fix, not even a good suggestion. What good is a bike that can't handle high rpms.. I constantly cruise at 85+ Now I don't have a tach (yet) but I can tell I'm revving high......

,,,,,,,,,,hoping that CJ's Bike is great when his new seals are in.

71.3 hp 70.8 tq

1208cc 11.09:1 (Wiseco 10° Dome 10.5:1 .010 over) ,Screamin Eagle Dual Plug Heads (10° 61cc), Original SE A/C, Vance & Hines Straight Shots w/ Custom Baffles. SE 6800 ign, Dual BREMBO brakes/ Pirelli Night Dragon MU85-16 Rear - 100/90-19 Front. Progressive Springs & 412 HD 13½" Chrome Shocks, 5½" pullback riser w/ "reddtigger mount", Stebel Nautilus Compact Air horn, Mustang Vintage Super Wide Touring Seat, Alto Carbonite Clutch