The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 The Strociek Project
Last Post: needspeed
Posted On: 11 Minutes Ago
Replies: 73
Views: 5,090
0 Looking for community help/steering/front end issues
Last Post: tkvalentine
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 196
0 Crankcase drain
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 1
Views: 38
0 a definitive sportster chain conversion pros and cons list
Last Post: Tomcatt
Replies: 31
Views: 1,553
0 71 XLH Value?
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 61
Views: 2,198
5 Thunderstorm pistons in xl??
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 104
0 sportster revival
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 428
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Fivecats
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 52,579
Views: 8,875,914
0 Q cams in 73 xlh ??
Last Post: 73HEAD
Replies: 82
Views: 5,712
0 Trouble removing old license plate
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Replies: 7
Views: 568
0 Snippets
Last Post: BKB
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 535
Views: 74,980
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 25,652
Views: 1,501,907
0 Posting Pics
Last Post: BigAl57
Replies: 16
Views: 6,499
7 2001 xlh 1200 off road
Last Post: Warlock
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 1,154
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,826
Views: 962,749
0 Allegheny National Park III
Last Post: BKB
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 51
Views: 1,559
0 Hello From Brighton, England
Last Post: ChinCactus
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 116
9 Very long pullback handlebars required
Last Post: Elzer0
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 1,375
0 Japanese Cush Drive!!
Last Post: SonWon
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 49
Views: 17,545
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: cal43
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 33,159
Views: 3,916,741
0 video & pics
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 598
Views: 64,122
0 This is gonna hurt.
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 9,094
Views: 2,133,948
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Posted On: 17 Hours Ago
Replies: 12,619
Views: 2,996,278
0 Electrical Harness Replacemet vs. Self Rewire
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 22 Hours Ago
Replies: 31
Views: 8,237
0 04 Sportster refurb and build.
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 22 Hours Ago
Replies: 39
Views: 2,944
0 never mind
Posted On: 23 Hours Ago
Replies: 303
Views: 58,824
0 Canadian Purchases
Last Post: XL Ed
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 22
Views: 4,015
0 best set up for ease of kick starting
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Replies: 4
Views: 399
0 2007 Sportster 883 won’t start; no turn signals
Replies: 9
Views: 331
More...
Members Birthdays

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th August 2009
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
timewarped1972 is on a distinguished roadtimewarped1972 is on a distinguished road
Default 1977 generator brush inspection (with details and pics)

well i was reading through the stickies again and reading some stuff on the charging system and read the info on inspecting/cleaning the generator brush'. i had not done that yet and seemed like a simple enough procedure so thought i would take a crack at it and document it with some pics as there were no photo's in the stickie and the ones in the manual i don't think are as good as the ones i took, lol...

some of the re assembly pics and instructions may be a little redundant but since i had the camera out and had a few other little things to mention i went ahead and included that stuff too, including polarizing the generator on the bike.

sooooooo, from the top.........

another quick note...your supposed to use electrical contact cleaner to clean the brushes and surrounding area, it's been said for along time that brake cleaner is the same stuff and works just as well. i found through some looking on the web that as long as the brake cleaner is NON-CHLORINATED its basically the same stuff. the CRC brand of brake clean is the same as their electrical cleaner, as for other brands i can't say.

ok, lets get to it........here we are, one 1977 sportster with a cycle electric, made in the U.S MODEL 65A (model number not amps) 12v generator

first i remove the chrome metal end cap with a screwdriver, this exposes the generator end cap strap

i then removed the A (armature) and F (field) wires from the generator.

now on to removing the generator end cap strap...2 7/16's nutts with nyloc inserts...

ok, now it's time to remove the end cap clamp that goes around the outside of the generator and end cap...

ok, now it's time to remove the end cap. it pulls straight off but you may have to wiggle and twist it a bit....

this is all the parts removed this far...

ok, now the generator brush assembly and plate are exposed. this plate will simply pull straight off. you can see 3 wires.....1 for each brush and the other one, in my photo the one with the red crimp end you can remove so the plate slides off...

here's a shot of it sliding off and the brushes slowly springing out....notice i did not follow my own advice and remove the red crimp connected wire first.....this is ok i just held the plate and removed it...also, these little bolts have philips head screw on the back side, it may slip when you remove the nut, in which case you just slide it off the shaft with wire still on and then you can hold the screw from the back side to keep it from turning.........you do not need to remove the wires that go to the brushes, just the one.......

another shot with the wire removed removing the brushes and plate assembly

next are the areas usually needing to be cleaned, the brushes themselves, and the commutator area.....the commutator should not be severly worn, and the brushes longest side should'nt be less than a half inch, according to the factory manual.

a shot inside the generator with the brush assembly removed...

another shot of the brush plate and brushes....i don't know if this is the original generator or not, or if some ones been in it before...it looked very clean, very little dust or residue at all. the bike shows about 7000 miles and from what i've seen on it i believe thats accurate.....ofcourse the brushes simply slide out of their spring loaded sockets and you un bolt the wire from the plate and theres your brush ready to clean or replace........note, the factory manual recomends seating new brushes with a brush seating stone......i am un familair with this process...

ok, all looks good here, time to put her back together...like i said mine was clean.....i just wiped the parts off with a paper towel and proceded to put them back together...after cleaning the parts go wash your hands real good........i did that so as i held the brushes in with my thumbs while re installing the plate and brushes, no extra grease or hand oils get on the brush surface...

now i re install the plate completely and install the red crimp wire...note the brush on the left, i moved the wire so it's to the right of the post and no chance of rubbing on the inside of the end cap when installed, check the same onthe other brush wire as well....

ok, now it's time to replace the end cap, theres also bearings inside this end cap that should be inspected for wear and grease as well...as shown if you look at the prior pic of the inside of the end cap.....ALSO, when re installing the end cap there is a notch in the bottom of the cap (see pic below) that aligns with a small pin...i'm assuming so you can't try and put the end cap on the wrong way and or to keep it from moving...

ok, now the end cap is on, time to re install the end cap strap (rendundant i know but hey why not).......

then re install the end cap to generator clamp...note this is the priro photo of removing the clamp, which is why the end cap strapis not visible in this photo...

ok, all thats left is to hook up the Armature and Field wires and put the chrome cover back on........ i've had the generator off a time or so and the wires off and never needed to polarize it, but i did in this case because one, it's good to know how to do it and two, i figured i better do it having had it apart like this....

i also put a piece of red shrink wrap on the armature connector because this is the one you connect a jumper wire to and then touch to the POSITIVE battery terminal......you will hear a slight click and probably get a spark at the battery when you touch it.......again, thats the A armature jumped to the POSITIVE battery terminal to polarize the generator......

ok thats it in a nutt shell, pretty simple but likei said always better with pics. i started her up, the battery at rest was about 12.5 volts......the stickie says batteries should be at in the 12's to 13 volts sitting, honestly most of the 12 volt batteries i've ever seen in good shape having been properly charged rest around 12.5 to 12.8....then again i been using the same digital meter for 10 plus years so, lol... when it's at idle it charges at mid 12's and up a little and when on the gas charges at mid to high 13 volts.......which i beleieve is just fine.......any other photo's, information, corrections, etc, more than welcome
Old 26th August 2009
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Harley-Davidson
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHTCU (Geezer Glide)
72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice72Iron is just really nice

Great write up.

RIP: Eli
Old 26th August 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1984
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL 1200
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW R80ST
Other Motorcycle Year: 1984
DEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond reputeDEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond reputeDEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond reputeDEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond reputeDEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond reputeDEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond reputeDEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond reputeDEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond reputeDEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond reputeDEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond reputeDEEP DIVER has a reputation beyond repute

A good write up with great pictures.
Some rep for that.

Blue belt in Serious tea drinking. :)
Old 26th August 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
GA_Ironhead has a reputation beyond reputeGA_Ironhead has a reputation beyond reputeGA_Ironhead has a reputation beyond reputeGA_Ironhead has a reputation beyond reputeGA_Ironhead has a reputation beyond reputeGA_Ironhead has a reputation beyond reputeGA_Ironhead has a reputation beyond reputeGA_Ironhead has a reputation beyond reputeGA_Ironhead has a reputation beyond reputeGA_Ironhead has a reputation beyond reputeGA_Ironhead has a reputation beyond repute

^^^^^^^^^^ I agree!
Old 24th September 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
77Wedge is an unknown quantity at this point

Great piece. Excellent photos. Now the same lesson except on removing the entire generator (including drive gear). Thanks.
Old 10th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Other Motorcycle Model: Heritage Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 1996
75Ironheads is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, thanks that was easy to follow and answered a lot of questions for a newbie. Thanks for your time.
Old 25th June 2013
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1990
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1976
bhfd64 is an unknown quantity at this point

Another appreciative newb. Getting a lot from these stickies