The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006) This area is to discuss issues, problems and anything else unique to the 2004 and above Sportster motorcycles

Active Threads
0 07 883 Low .... lifting
Last Post: npaisnel
Posted On: 23 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 6
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 25 Minutes Ago
Replies: 49,873
Views: 8,149,758
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 38 Minutes Ago
Replies: 27,220
Views: 2,826,538
14 Firearms you wish you owned.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 55 Minutes Ago
Replies: 645
Views: 159,511
0 Lets see your off season builds
Last Post: cycowrencher
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 1,611
Views: 236,402
0 83 XLH w/Velorex 562
Last Post: Scott
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 20
Views: 1,289
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 20,301
Views: 1,208,528
0 Hard to find Neutral
Last Post: ThenCameHarry
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 528
0 WTB - 95 mid control shift arm
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 73
0 How do you like your Dealer?
Last Post: bordens
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 202
Views: 56,701
0 1250 Unhappiness 2020 edition
Last Post: 45Brit
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 72
Views: 3,594
0 Ultima Ignition Issues
Last Post: Serious Blac
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 19
Views: 1,029
0 Poll: Do you change tires yourself?
Last Post: Brad
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 139
Views: 38,820
0 0Salt Flat Sporton
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 44
Views: 1,546
0 ....1
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 5,996
Views: 352,737
0 Magneto Sportster's 1964 XLH Restoration Project
Last Post: Magneto Sportster
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 45
Views: 4,807
0 2009 Iron 883 Wont Start!
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 91
0 Shady shifter shaft
Last Post: randy3934
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 436
0 Different Methods of Aligning Rear-End
Last Post: Bluto
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 70
Views: 14,477
0 Sidehack for XLS
Last Post: ferretface
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 35
Views: 2,167
0 Anyone carry a gun while riding ?
Last Post: 11B40
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 474
Views: 92,462
0 too much oil in primary
Last Post: 73HEAD
Replies: 26
Views: 1,403
0 Brad's 1995 883 Hugger
Last Post: Brad
Replies: 11
Views: 1,095
0 1998 883 Clutch Disc
Last Post: gary59
Replies: 0
Views: 40
4 Snow a week ago, now a Tornado Watch
Last Post: fafcpa
Replies: 2
Views: 72
0 Rear shocks ?
Last Post: mick42
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 23
Views: 647
0 One cylinder working ...
Last Post: Bert fegg
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 216
2 WOW, This cracked? Wtf?
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 131
0 Do You Have Crash Bars/ Engine Guards?
Last Post: Azmarlin39a
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 72
Views: 12,433
2 Sloppy Throttle Feel
Last Post: XL_1200C
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 467
More...
Members Birthdays
GRAYFEATHER (71), vonriken (70), The Crusher (63), madisonlink (60), hillbilly (59), mardyk (56), Blade (54), dmraco (51), jmcclure (44), Ryand36330 (43), nrrs (43), CRB1006 (33), Yoitsjustin1 (21)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th October 2009
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHRC
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
GophersAndCheese is just really niceGophersAndCheese is just really niceGophersAndCheese is just really niceGophersAndCheese is just really niceGophersAndCheese is just really niceGophersAndCheese is just really niceGophersAndCheese is just really niceGophersAndCheese is just really niceGophersAndCheese is just really niceGophersAndCheese is just really niceGophersAndCheese is just really nice
Default Ragerbuilt Jockey Shift for 04+

Ragerbuilt is now making bolt-on kits for 04+ (in spite of their website that still only shows the kit fitting up to 2003s without modification). I bought one and got it yesterday (it took a week for the black powdercoat). Walt has been great to deal with and I am excited to get the kit installed.

The difference between the '03 and '04 versions is how the bracket attaches to the bike. Instead of it attaching by two primary cover bolts, it seems to attach via the primary chain adjustment bolt on the bottom of the primary.

I've run into a bit of a roadblock with this...

I sent Walt a note asking for clarification (since the instructions included were still for the 2003 version), but does anyone here have one of these newer kits?

My concern is that it seems to attach between the primary and nut on the primary chain adjustment bolt. However, that nut has a nylon top that appears to create a seal. If I mount the bracket in between, I fear that it could leak causing a host of problems. If I don't mount it that way, it doesn't seem I have enough thread to attach the bracket between the nut and another nut (not included in the kit) and also worry that this will not be very strong and could break. Perhaps there is some sort of nylon washer or o-ring I could buy and put between the bracket and primary, but I am not sure.

I am also a bit worried because I have backed the primary chain adjustment bolt all the way down to get the nut off and would like to know whether I can feel relatively confident simply screwing it back in to where it was (I took pics so I know the number of threads that were showing) or whether I need to completely drain the primary and take the cover off to get it right.

I have the kit about 90% installed but am stuck on this last part. Please let me know if you have any advice. I'll post Walt's reply too in case anyone else is interested. I will also post some pics when it's all done too. Thanks!
Old 4th October 2009
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Oli1200 is a glorious beacon of lightOli1200 is a glorious beacon of lightOli1200 is a glorious beacon of lightOli1200 is a glorious beacon of lightOli1200 is a glorious beacon of lightOli1200 is a glorious beacon of lightOli1200 is a glorious beacon of lightOli1200 is a glorious beacon of lightOli1200 is a glorious beacon of lightOli1200 is a glorious beacon of lightOli1200 is a glorious beacon of light

Pics would definitely help. I'd also just like to see the '04 setup from Walt. I run the Labriola setup.
Old 4th October 2009
Harley Engineer

GophersAndCheese is just really niceGophersAndCheese is just really niceGophersAndCheese is just really niceGophersAndCheese is just really niceGophersAndCheese is just really niceGophersAndCheese is just really niceGophersAndCheese is just really niceGophersAndCheese is just really niceGophersAndCheese is just really niceGophersAndCheese is just really niceGophersAndCheese is just really nice

Went back down to the garage to mess with the bike a bit more and when I tightened the nut, the bolt stayed in place. At this point, I am 99% sure I have to drain the primary and pull the cover so that I can access the parts I need to to get it adjusted properly. Good news - I was due for my 25K maintenance anyway and will feel a lot better if I know my primary chain is adjusted properly. Bad news - unless I messed something up in the installation, this is proving to be anything but bolt-on. I'll get some pics posted so you guys can see what I'm talking about.
Old 4th October 2009
Harley Engineer

Here is a picture of what is included with the '04 Kit (I opted for the powdercoated version):

Includes shift handle, bracket, cable, screw & washers for attaching cable to old shift lever, gasket?, sticker, and instructions (unfortunately not updated for '04).

I also bought a new o-ring at my local dealer for where the shift cable meets the primary (not included in kit) since the service manual recommends discarding the old o-ring. I suppose I could have re-used the old one.

On to the issues I am having... The bracket has one hole and that fits the primary adjustment screw. Here is the primary adjustment screw before I removed the nut:

The nut was very tight on the bolt so they moved together. It was only when the bolt could not go any farther, that the nut came off:

Here you can see the top of the nut where it has a nylon top to seal itself against the primary:

Here you can see where I put the bracket between the primary and the nut (not fully tightened yet) but you can see how the nut is moving up the bolt but the bolt is stationary (meaning my primary chain is definitely not adjusted properly).

... and here is a shot farther away (sorry for the crappy lighting in my garage) where you can see the kit about 90% installed. The bracket is not secured, my primary chain is probably seriously out of adjustment, and the cable is not secured to the old shifter arm yet (it will need to be trimmed too). You can however see the hand shift and the red & silver aluminum shifter that I feel matches my tank really well. It should all look pretty cool when it's done and I'm very excited to try it out. However, it has become very clear that won't happen today.

Unless anyone has a better idea, my plan is to drain the primary and pull the cover off so I can get the adjustment done properly and get the bolt (and therefore the shoe) in the right position with proper tension on the chain. I was really hoping it wouldn't come to that.

I'll eventually get some good outdoor pics when it's all finally done.
Old 4th October 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Highly modified 1200 c
Sportster/Buell Year: 01
Sportster/Buell Model #2: KX450F
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHX H-D Street glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
xllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure why you really need to drain and adjust the primary with the cover off..your just complicating the whole process IMHO

If you get up under the bike..that stud is made to use an allen wrench to adjust from the bottom..The nut just tightens the stud when finished keeping the chain in position as the nut gets tightened to the primary cover itself..

The stud and nut do serve a purpose..making it impossible to adjust the primary chain without them..the allen key makes it easier to fine tune before you lock everything down..

Last edited by xllent01; 4th October 2009 at 23:47..
Old 4th October 2009
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Oli1200 is a glorious beacon of lightOli1200 is a glorious beacon of lightOli1200 is a glorious beacon of lightOli1200 is a glorious beacon of lightOli1200 is a glorious beacon of lightOli1200 is a glorious beacon of lightOli1200 is a glorious beacon of lightOli1200 is a glorious beacon of lightOli1200 is a glorious beacon of lightOli1200 is a glorious beacon of lightOli1200 is a glorious beacon of light

Does that bracket just serve to keep the cable in line? Could you run the cable without the bracket?

Yeah, the primary chain is adjusted with the bolt that has an allen wrench end, the nut keeps it in place.
Old 4th October 2009
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: FXD Dyna
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
humpbackbob has a spectacular aura abouthumpbackbob has a spectacular aura abouthumpbackbob has a spectacular aura abouthumpbackbob has a spectacular aura abouthumpbackbob has a spectacular aura abouthumpbackbob has a spectacular aura abouthumpbackbob has a spectacular aura abouthumpbackbob has a spectacular aura abouthumpbackbob has a spectacular aura abouthumpbackbob has a spectacular aura about

As has been said, there is no reason to remove the primary cover. Just loosen the locking nut and use a 1/4" allen wrench to adjust the plate. Then just tighten up the locking nut to 20-25 ft lbs.

2006 XLC 1200,Fire Red Pearl, S/E A/C, rejetted carb, V&H Straightshots, Andrews N3 cams.Color Matched Oil & Battery Covers & Ham Can. XL Low Bars, Chrome levers, Diamondback braided lines. Chrome Everything else. Brawler Solo Seat.
Old 5th October 2009
Harley Engineer

You guys rock. Thanks for the suggestions! I am going to try putting the stud back to where it was in the pictures I took. I didn't realize the allen key adjustment was at the bottom of the stud. I'm still not sure about the lack of seal with the bracket between the primary & nut. However, this should put my mind at ease regarding my primary chain.
Old 5th October 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
dondad is on a distinguished roaddondad is on a distinguished road
Default Chain slack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnSporty View Post
You guys rock. Thanks for the suggestions! I am going to try putting the stud back to where it was in the pictures I took. I didn't realize the allen key adjustment was at the bottom of the stud. I'm still not sure about the lack of seal with the bracket between the primary & nut. However, this should put my mind at ease regarding my primary chain.
You can check the chain play through the little inspection cover further up on the side of the primary cover.
Old 5th October 2009
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xl
Sportster/Buell Year: 95
95 sporty will become famous soon enough95 sporty will become famous soon enough95 sporty will become famous soon enough95 sporty will become famous soon enough95 sporty will become famous soon enough95 sporty will become famous soon enough95 sporty will become famous soon enough95 sporty will become famous soon enough

+1 on checking the chain through the inspection cover.Rotate the back wheel till you find the tightest spot on the chain and adjust with the allen to 3/8 -1/2 in. play.this is the specs on my 95 don't know about yours but it should be the same.