The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 90 in. Build
Last Post: MatHormell
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 96
Views: 14,093
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 4 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6,081
Views: 411,237
0 Head gaskets.
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 12 Minutes Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 772
5 Is anyone with an early sportster running a 38 mm Mikuni?
Last Post: sevenyears of famine
Posted On: 17 Minutes Ago
Replies: 25
Views: 1,159
0 Sunday 20th May 2018: Hope Cove
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 20 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 356
0 new oil lines
Last Post: 69sscamaro
Posted On: 23 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 3,710
0 switched 12V
Last Post: conv90
Posted On: 25 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 211
0 ***DK Custom Footpegs - Shift Pegs - Highway Pegs***
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 32 Minutes Ago
Replies: 32
Views: 9,886
0 A Day in the Life...
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 47 Minutes Ago
Replies: 569
Views: 47,159
0 first harley- help!!
Last Post: rickthrash99
Posted On: 49 Minutes Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 268
0 Hope Cove, 20th May 2018
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 52 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 9
0 HAMMER PERFORMANCE Tech Tip Videos
Last Post: ReddTigger
Posted On: 54 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 99
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 2,247
Views: 156,546
0 Ebay Guantlet Fairings or Burly Outlaw Fairing
Last Post: wongjohnson
Replies: 19
Views: 439
0 Future of the sporty?
Last Post: Nibelungen
Replies: 48
Views: 2,243
0 Clutch cable options
Last Post: Darkseacret
Replies: 8
Views: 208
0 HER 42 gas leaking from drain hose?
Last Post: wedge
Replies: 21
Views: 238
14 This is how they Roll in Germany
Last Post: seajay
Replies: 1
Views: 69
0 Intro from New England
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 44
0 Spring Seat Brackets?
Last Post: tylerd.green
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Views: 39
5 Another "new guy" rumor or fact question....
Last Post: Moon Wolf
Replies: 18
Views: 1,047
0 Feeling in trouble.
Last Post: Iron Mike
Replies: 15
Views: 383
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: Glamazon
Replies: 5,026
Views: 524,742
0 WTB: Black 3.1gal tank for '82-'03 Sporty
Last Post: Pender1
Views: 55
0 HAMMERPerf 90" In the Works
Last Post: MatHormell
Replies: 1,436
Views: 145,860
0 1986-90 Evo Sportsters: What every owner should know but were afraid to ask
Last Post: webman94
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 165
Views: 16,644
0 Anyone go racing last weekend?
Last Post: mac93
Replies: 2,496
Views: 222,721
0 Oil not returning to tank, venting oil
Last Post: Ben221
Replies: 17
Views: 410
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: The Crusher
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 7,371
Views: 1,306,340
More...
Members Birthdays
dtw757 (64), XLH75Rider (63), JRLang13 (56), Shaerona (54), christophe (51), collectovince (50), buckethead (40), Hang_Em_High (38)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd March 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead XLH Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ironhead XLT Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CBX 1000
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
ericfreeman is a splendid one to beholdericfreeman is a splendid one to beholdericfreeman is a splendid one to beholdericfreeman is a splendid one to beholdericfreeman is a splendid one to beholdericfreeman is a splendid one to beholdericfreeman is a splendid one to beholdericfreeman is a splendid one to beholdericfreeman is a splendid one to beholdericfreeman is a splendid one to beholdericfreeman is a splendid one to behold
Default How Sweet It Is!! (All Andrews Tranny)

Finally got my '78 back together after rebuilding the tranny with all Andrews gears and shafts, new shift forks, bearings, etc. Needed the rebuild to eliminate a slipping 2nd gear problem due to worn fork and shifter cam. Also replaced the swingarm bearings while things were torn apart.

Oh my, how nice she shifts now! Exceptionally smooth shifting, no banging and clanging and no more popping out of 2nd. Each shift is butter-smooth with none of the lever kickback I used to get, especially going into 4th when really cranking on the throttle.

Definitely worth the $920 I paid for all the gears and shafts, plus another couple hundred for the bearings, forks and various shims I needed. Money well spent as I can now hit the highway knowing the tranny is in tip top shape. If you have a tranny problem, don't hesitate to tear it apart: this was my first and it was pretty easy with the factory manual and the Haynes for additional info.

Eric
1978 Anniversary Edition XLH. Wiseco 10:1 forged pistons, Andrews R5 cams, dual plugged heads with Super Port Flow, single fire ignition, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, Jagg oil cooler, '73 gauges, kickstart, Barnett kevlar clutch, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks, all-Andrews tranny. 1977 XLT, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, tapered dual exhausts, Andrews Y cams, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks.
Old 2nd March 2010
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
SilverShark96 is on a distinguished roadSilverShark96 is on a distinguished roadSilverShark96 is on a distinguished road

Wow, that is a steep price. But hey, if you needed it, then you needed it. Sounds like quite an advancement for your Ironhead. Definitely some to keep in mind when needing something similar.

Transmissions, over anything else, scare me. The complication factor is definitely there.
Old 2nd March 2010

ericfreeman is a splendid one to beholdericfreeman is a splendid one to beholdericfreeman is a splendid one to beholdericfreeman is a splendid one to beholdericfreeman is a splendid one to beholdericfreeman is a splendid one to beholdericfreeman is a splendid one to beholdericfreeman is a splendid one to beholdericfreeman is a splendid one to beholdericfreeman is a splendid one to beholdericfreeman is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, I know what you mean about the $. I probably could have reused the OEM gears and shafts since they weren't in bad shape, just some slight chipping on the gear dogs. But, I figured that while I was in there I'd go ahead and make things as perfect as possible. With the engine mods I'm running, the motor pulls exceptionally strong and I wanted to ensure there wouldn't be any problems down the line.

It was actually quite fun to have the assembled tranny on the bench and see how everything fitted together. Also nice to find the problem areas that were causing my 2nd gear troubles. It's not rocket science by any means but does require some patience and a good manual to see how things fit together.

Eric
Old 2nd March 2010

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
biknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to behold

I agree. Worth every penny. Stock gears are trash in comparison.

Completely stock except for, Branch #5 heads & 10.5:1 JE pistons, Red Shift V531 cams, S&S Super E, ThunderJet, V&H Sideshots, S&S Flywheels, Dyna 2000i, Stortz 55mm Inverted Fork, JMC Swingarm, Works Performance 12.5" Shocks, PM 4 Piston, PM wheels, 18 x 150 R tire, Custom Belt Drive Conversion, Still Has Original Nut Behind The Bars
Old 2nd March 2010

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1961
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster XL
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1957
Other Motorcycle Model: KH KHK XLH XLCH
Moon Wolf has a brilliant futureMoon Wolf has a brilliant futureMoon Wolf has a brilliant futureMoon Wolf has a brilliant futureMoon Wolf has a brilliant futureMoon Wolf has a brilliant futureMoon Wolf has a brilliant futureMoon Wolf has a brilliant futureMoon Wolf has a brilliant futureMoon Wolf has a brilliant futureMoon Wolf has a brilliant future

Did you keep the same ratios?

When everything is as it was in my childhood

Violent, vivid, and of infinite possiblilty:

That the sun and moon broke over my head.--Richard Eberhart
Old 2nd March 2010
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1965
scottericsonon will become famous soon enoughscottericsonon will become famous soon enoughscottericsonon will become famous soon enoughscottericsonon will become famous soon enoughscottericsonon will become famous soon enoughscottericsonon will become famous soon enoughscottericsonon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericfreeman View Post
It was actually quite fun to have the assembled tranny on the bench and see how everything fitted together.

Eric
i had thought that was pretty cool myself when i had mine here on my desk.....

mine was the same way........if you remember correctly i fell into that all andrews trans on ebay but otherwise i would have done the same thing....as long as its apart you might as well do it RIGHT

anybody know anything about 727 automatics??

i picked up a 440 powered 1976 club cab W200 4X4 with no reverse recently.....

i can part it out for like 4 times what i have in it (at least) but its a pretty solid truck and VERY saveable.......

Always remember to pillage before you burn
Old 2nd March 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Wolf View Post
Did you keep the same ratios?
Yes, I kept the stock ratios. I'm quite happy with the 22/51 sprocket combo I now run and since I've never ridden a Sportster with different ratios I didn't want to experiment with my hard-earned $. Bike pulls like a mother for a non-stroker.

Eric
Old 2nd March 2010
Flat Track Champion

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottericsonon View Post
i had thought that was pretty cool myself when i had mine here on my desk.....

mine was the same way........if you remember correctly i fell into that all andrews trans on ebay but otherwise i would have done the same thing....as long as its apart you might as well do it RIGHT

anybody know anything about 727 automatics??

i picked up a 440 powered 1976 club cab W200 4X4 with no reverse recently.....

i can part it out for like 4 times what i have in it (at least) but its a pretty solid truck and VERY saveable.......
KEEP that truck, they are awesome. 727's will lose reverse if you beat the shit out of them, ask me how i know. lucky for you, its an easy fix, find a hotrod shop that specializes in Mopars, the 727 was a very popular trans. if your in the Detroit area, PM me. i know right where to take it.
Old 2nd March 2010
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH/I.R.C. Special
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Ivan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really nice
Default Any tranny upgrade is a good thing, stuffing it with Andrews...

...components is a solid investment in peace-of-mind.
You can tear that four-speed to hell and back (burn-outs, hole-shots, etc.) with COMPLETE confidence when you've got it rebuilt with the best parts in the business.

Good choice!
Sponsored Links
Old 2nd March 2010
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
SilverShark96 is on a distinguished roadSilverShark96 is on a distinguished roadSilverShark96 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan RoachCoach View Post
...components is a solid investment in peace-of-mind.
You can tear that four-speed to hell and back (burn-outs, hole-shots, etc.) with COMPLETE confidence when you've got it rebuilt with the best parts in the business.

Good choice!
Ah, burn-outs are unnecessary punishment to the bike. But hey, that's another topic.