The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Sport-Glide / Sportster Motorcycle Touring
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sport-Glide / Sportster Motorcycle Touring This section is for the discussion of setting up you Sportster motorcycle touring and long distance riding.

Active Threads
0 Gravydog crashed again.
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 5 Minutes Ago
Replies: 137
Views: 9,264
0 Helping a friend...
Last Post: DirtyHarry68
Posted On: 5 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 1
8 Crankshaft Failure
Last Post: wedge
Posted On: 15 Minutes Ago
Replies: 107
Views: 43,972
0 Intermittent silence when hitting starter?
Last Post: TeeCat
Posted On: 21 Minutes Ago
Replies: 83
Views: 3,619
0 Poll for the legalization of cannabis
Last Post: Kbetts
Posted On: 32 Minutes Ago
Replies: 438
Views: 55,792
0 Hello Everybody
Last Post: shanneba
Posted On: 39 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 45
0 Air Cleaner Bracket Mounting
Last Post: IronMick
Posted On: 43 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 158
0 Every last drop of HP from a 1200ci.
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Views: 105
0 Spokes and dual disc
Last Post: TonyGall
Replies: 39
Views: 1,082
0 No working taillight, but bike still runs? Schematic included.
Last Post: sportsterdoc
Replies: 10
Views: 170
0 Oil Pump Upgrade '86-'90
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 56
Views: 1,787
0 Dale's Killer 40mm CV Carb
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 664
0 Let's See Them R's!!
Last Post: PetesPonies
Replies: 1,498
Views: 549,779
0 timing sympstoms
Last Post: rickthrash99
Replies: 11
Views: 305
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: bimbo
Replies: 2,860
Views: 278,506
0 Installing New Tappet Rollers
Last Post: Peteroo
Replies: 3
Views: 242
0 Wheel Bearing Question
Last Post: sportsterdoc
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Views: 125
0 Harley k model question
Last Post: Tator
Views: 29
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: BWP 5p
Replies: 42,190
Views: 6,539,498
0 1986-90 Evo Sportsters: What every owner should know but were afraid to ask
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 215
Views: 25,178
0 ***DK Custom-Chrome ISO Footpegs-Rubber Cushioned w/ Heel Rest***
Last Post: DK Custom
Views: 18
0 ***DK Custom-Blacked-Out Highway Peg Mounting Kit - Hinged Clamp & Clevis***
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Views: 38
0 Who's still riding???
Last Post: Serious Blac
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 117
Views: 7,352
0 New Member, New Build with pics, and some questions
Last Post: dsw919
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 30
Views: 1,162
0 Kr krtt xlr-tt xr...
Last Post: doodah man
Views: 121
0 Big bore stroker - the beginning of a 10-year long build
Last Post: davixlrtt
Replies: 833
Views: 77,307
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 9,130
Views: 750,229
0 Hello From Los Angeles
Last Post: oreocat1
Replies: 9
Views: 122
14 Where do you store your Sportster over the winter?
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 74
Views: 4,902
5 popping in and out of first gear
Last Post: canoli
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 159
Views: 63,032
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th September 2007
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883HUG
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
glh is a jewel in the roughglh is a jewel in the roughglh is a jewel in the roughglh is a jewel in the roughglh is a jewel in the roughglh is a jewel in the roughglh is a jewel in the roughglh is a jewel in the roughglh is a jewel in the roughglh is a jewel in the roughglh is a jewel in the rough
Default Can a fairing work on a Sportster?

I have been struggling with the issue of wind since I bought my 1997 Hugger (1200 Conversion) 6 months ago. I love to ride out in the wind when conditions allow, which is why I bought HD's quick release detachable compact shield, but I was so buffeted by turbulence in the head region that I could barely see. This came as a big surprise to me since my last 2 machines, a Dyna Low Rider and a Road King, each had a detachable shield and each worked just fine for me.

I cut this shield down twice, for a total of 2 1/2 inches, before I realized that the offending air was coming from below. I have seen some good posts here about lowers, but honestly at this point I feel I have cut the top of this shield down an inch too low to salvage it for me. I'm 5' 6" tall; perhaps it will find a home with someone shorter.

I have come to wonder whether a fairing would work best for me. The aerodynamics of a plain windshield on this bike seems to be problematic at best, but I have found very few offerings on the market for Sportster fairings. What I want in a shield or fairing is at a minimum moderate protection from wind on my chest, and the ability to duck below the shield without plastering my chest to the tank in inclement weather.

Where I live on California's Central Coast, it is not uncommon to have 20-30 MPH winds come inland off the ocean in late afternoon. Adding that to the 65-70 MPH prevailing traffic speed on my road home, and you should get the picture. If you don't, consider that this is moisture laden ocean air.

HD's offering seems more stylish than functional, but please tell me if I am wrong. I see that Arlen Ness has a fairing that seems a little bigger, but I am only guessing since they don't show it mounted to a bike on their website or state dimensions. I recently saw a post about Rifle fairings, and discovered they were local to me, but they seem to be a pretty small outfit. Their Roadster fairing seems like it could work for me, but I am reluctant to throw good money after bad if there is just something about the Sportster geometry that makes a touring type Fairing/Shield impossible.

I would appreciate feedback on any of the above solutions, or suggestions on where else to look, particularly from those who have found a good answer for their setup and height.

I really want the next windscreen purchase to be my last for this bike so I can better spend my money on things like fork springs and hardbags and hotel rooms after a long day's ride.
1997 Hugger SE 1200 Conversion, Mikuni HSR42 Carb, Dragron II AC w/K&N Filter, SE 2-1 Pipes, Corbin Gunfighter and Lady saddle, 13 1/2" Progressive 412 Shocks, Progressive Fork Springs, Mutazu Hard Bags mounted with Easy Brackets, detachable Mutazu Hard Trunk, Rifle Roadster Fairing.
Old 29th September 2007
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
nightsterman has a spectacular aura aboutnightsterman has a spectacular aura aboutnightsterman has a spectacular aura aboutnightsterman has a spectacular aura aboutnightsterman has a spectacular aura aboutnightsterman has a spectacular aura aboutnightsterman has a spectacular aura aboutnightsterman has a spectacular aura aboutnightsterman has a spectacular aura aboutnightsterman has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up National Cycle fly screen does the trick

I have the National Cycle fly screen for my bike, and I love it. It cuts the wind down significantly, but still gives you that wind in your face feeling. If you wear a helmet, it will help with neck fatigue. It also doesn't spoil the style of the sportster in my opinion. Here are some previous threads on the topic:

http://xlforum.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=70882

http://xlforum.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=75305

Good luck,
Mark
Old 29th September 2007
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200Custom
gomorley has a brilliant futuregomorley has a brilliant futuregomorley has a brilliant futuregomorley has a brilliant futuregomorley has a brilliant futuregomorley has a brilliant futuregomorley has a brilliant futuregomorley has a brilliant futuregomorley has a brilliant futuregomorley has a brilliant futuregomorley has a brilliant future

I too have a National Cycles screen, but I got the street Ex and realy find that it helps with buffeting whilst still giving the frrl of wind in your face. The price is reasonable too,around $120 US
Old 29th September 2007
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 883L (the wifes ride)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: CB1100
Other Motorcycle Year: 2014
djs is a name known to alldjs is a name known to alldjs is a name known to alldjs is a name known to alldjs is a name known to alldjs is a name known to alldjs is a name known to alldjs is a name known to alldjs is a name known to alldjs is a name known to alldjs is a name known to all

i just put this on mine.
i think its a givi, or something similar.
it was on my blast, didn't buy it so not sure exactly what it is.
never had a shield an this cycle so can't really say much. seems to block wind, not too much head shaking, but have not riden with it on much yet.
i am 5 feet 5.5 inches tall.
Old 1st October 2007
Chief Harley Engineer

glh is a jewel in the roughglh is a jewel in the roughglh is a jewel in the roughglh is a jewel in the roughglh is a jewel in the roughglh is a jewel in the roughglh is a jewel in the roughglh is a jewel in the roughglh is a jewel in the roughglh is a jewel in the roughglh is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightsterman View Post
I have the National Cycle fly screen for my bike, and I love it. It cuts the wind down significantly, but still gives you that wind in your face feeling. If you wear a helmet, it will help with neck fatigue. It also doesn't spoil the style of the sportster in my opinion. Here are some previous threads on the topic:

http://xlforum.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=70882

http://xlforum.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=75305

Good luck,
Mark
That is a nice looking bike. The fly screen looks great. If my pockets were deeper, and the hardware compatible, I would get one in addition to a fuller shield/fairing. It looks like it would work great for my day tripping so, I could blast home in comfort but be in the wind on the twisties.

In my circumstance, I want something more substantial so that I can tour with the bike as well.
Old 1st October 2007
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Deimus is a splendid one to beholdDeimus is a splendid one to beholdDeimus is a splendid one to beholdDeimus is a splendid one to beholdDeimus is a splendid one to beholdDeimus is a splendid one to beholdDeimus is a splendid one to beholdDeimus is a splendid one to beholdDeimus is a splendid one to beholdDeimus is a splendid one to beholdDeimus is a splendid one to behold

This is the combination I chose to shield me from wind while cruising at highway speeds. It works very well for me.

Windshield: Slipstreamer SS-32 Falcon (16" model)
Engine guard chaps: From SageBrushDesigns

Old 1st October 2007
Chief Harley Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomorley View Post
I too have a National Cycles screen, but I got the street Ex and realy find that it helps with buffeting whilst still giving the frrl of wind in your face. The price is reasonable too,around $120 US
I'm curious about 2 things. How tall you are, and do you feel turbulence coming from below the shield?. At 5' 6" tall the Street Ex seems a bit to tall for me. I want the wind pushed over my head, but my eyes to have a clear view of the road. The turbulence issue from my beneath my HD screen is what made me ask about fairings to begin with.

If the aerodynamics are sound, I might be looking at a Nation Cycle Deflector Screen DX (same style, smaller dimentions). I like the idea of being able to adjust the rake angle, and the DX version has the quick release.
Old 1st October 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Gone...
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: The Beast (M109R)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
snowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud of

I started three years ago with the National Cycles Ex style and it was very effective in blocking the wind....The nice thing about these is you can tilt them back or up as needed to tune it to your height.

Course that was replaced by an HD batwing and now a Ness 1/4 fairing. Just picked up a hot lookin' fairing from a GSX500 that I'm working on mounting. Should give me a little more wind streaming than the Ness and a hotter look that I want.....

***RIP***
--Mr. JIMI
--JOHNNY G
--BryanEOD
Old 1st October 2007
Chief Harley Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deimus View Post
This is the combination I chose to shield me from wind while cruising at highway speeds. It works very well for me.

Windshield: Slipstreamer SS-32 Falcon (16" model)
Engine guard chaps: From SageBrushDesigns

Thanks Deimus. I have seen similar "Fairing-Shields" before, maybe even Slipstreamers, but they were always taller. The 16" might just work for me if I choose to go that route.

It's interesting to see that you live in WA and the manufacturers are from MN. I spent a lot of my childhood not far from them (5-10 miles away) and know just how cold it can get. I also lived and rode in Milwaukee later in life (consulted at the motherhouse for a year, computers not engineering). In late fall and early spring I was somewhat jealous of my friends with baggers because of the hand protection.
Sponsored Links
Old 3rd October 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: low
txmike has disabled reputation

I have the HD quick detatch fairing, and only after adding a Laminar Lip to the fairing was it effective for me.