PDA

View Full Version : jetting help for XL1200S Sport

ocean
10th January 2011, 01:26
I'm living in Tokyo Japan and am in the process of taxing my 2001 XL1200S Sport model. Parts here are super expensive and so I am having them purchased in USA and sent to me here.

I have a really nice Sundance Orange II high performance muffler (this I purchased here!), and a K&N filter but I'm having trouble figuring out which ThunderJet Kit I need and which Thunderslide Jet Kit I need for this model.

I'm pretty sure the product number for the ThunderJet Kit is: 10070152 - but I'm unsure about the ThunderSlide Jet Kit? The internet has too much confusing onformation and there seem to be so many ThunderSlide kits to choose from. The XL1200S is different from other XL's and so usually requires special parts. I dont wish to make a mistake when purchaseing the thunderslide.

Can anyone guide me to the correct parts for my Sporty Sport?

rocketmangb
10th January 2011, 02:32
email me
rocketmangb@msn.com

ocean
10th January 2011, 02:39
email me
rocketmangb@msn.com

done

Shu
12th January 2011, 17:26
You do not NEED a DynoJet kit or DynoJet Thunderslide kit. Just rejet the carb with the right jets and you are good. As far as which kit you'd need to buy if you really wanted one, it is part number 8103 for the DynoJet kit and 8112 for the DynoJet Thunderslide kit. There is nothing special about the 1200S carb compared to the other 1200 cc Sportsters the same year. Again though, just buy a few Keihin CV jets (pilot and main) and tune it.

ocean
13th January 2011, 03:39
Thanks for the reply and the advice. I am going to replace the CV carb for the FCR. With thanks to the posters here and other Harley forums I now realize the jet kits are not worth the money.

derailedbus
13th January 2011, 05:01
Replacing the carb is hardly worth the money either, unless you're doing headwork. I'm no mechanic, but from the help of the knowledgeable guys on here, I got ALOT of extra power from an AC/exhaust setup and properly tuned and sized jets.

Don Burton
15th January 2011, 12:18
You do not NEED a DynoJet kit or DynoJet Thunderslide kit. Just rejet the carb with the right jets and you are good. As far as which kit you'd need to buy if you really wanted one, it is part number 8103 for the DynoJet kit and 8112 for the DynoJet Thunderslide kit. There is nothing special about the 1200S carb compared to the other 1200 cc Sportsters the same year. Again though, just buy a few Keihin CV jets (pilot and main) and tune it.

Shu, Good advice. Just for clarity's sake, isn't the 1200 S model's carb the same as the other 1200 models of the same year but didn't H-D equip the stock S model's carb with a larger main jet and a different needle than the standard 1200 or am I mistaken? Of course some of that may need changing when tuning for aftermarket intake and exhaust.

radeschultz
15th January 2011, 15:42
Don that is correct. I forget what needle it is, I wanna say the NOKK, but I don't recall for certain at this moment.

Sportster.org in the techies has a good list of the stock jet sizes as well as suggestion for jetting when adding air filter and or pipes...

Shu
15th January 2011, 16:16
Shu, Good advice. Just for clarity's sake, isn't the 1200 S model's carb the same as the other 1200 models of the same year but didn't H-D equip the stock S model's carb with a larger main jet and a different needle than the standard 1200 or am I mistaken? Of course some of that may need changing when tuning for aftermarket intake and exhaust.
The US Sport did come with a different main jet (27275-96Y) which I think was a 190 main out of the Buell. It also received a needle (27656-98) which was different than the standard (27241-95) needle that the rest received. I don't recall the exact needle codes but here are the part numbers for comparison. Additionally the California 1200 S got a differnet needle yet, it was the 27254-96. California bikes not only received a different main jet but they had different needles. I haven't researched it enough to know the relationship between the main and needle on the Sport or California models, but I would guess that where HD increased the main Jet size they then leaned out the needle some in the cruiseing area and light throttle area even further for emissions reasons. All models domestic received the 42 pilot jet. Oh yeah and the 1200S had a different float chamber assembly as well (27380-98 instead of 27159-92). That, I believe was a slightly larger volume float bowl but have never been able to verify.

FWIW here are the entire carb part numbers by model:
27490-96 - 883's
27495-96 - California 883's
27480-97 - 1200's
27498-96 - California 1200's
27731-98 - 1200 Sports
27732-98 - California 1200 Sports

Those parts were the same from 96, 97 or 98 as indicated through 2003.

Dynojet makes kits specific to the Sport due to this and those are the part numbers I mentioned earlier. I still don't think he needs a DynoJet kit, only a few jets at most.

Don Burton
15th January 2011, 16:42
Yes, I had thought that the S model had a difference in the float bowl as well but I didn't know what it was and failed to mention it.

keithnh
25th February 2013, 20:28
Keep hitting the dusty threads, thats ok Im kinda dusty myself :) Just googled my carb # today online and here I am. A beautiful 27731-98 rubbers all soft and smells new. A "take-off" supposedly that really was I think. Has a hand choke a nice little short cable. Intake is a 27023-99 P4. I'm guessing this is a Keihin carb CV model for 1200S. I now know the rebuild kit I believe ... not sure about what Thunderjet/Thunderslide means. Am hoping there wont be any fitting problems using this with 1986 1100 heads and was wondering how to id the XL high flow air cleaner kit for sure, maybe this already has one.

sportsterdoc
25th February 2013, 22:01
Keep hitting the dusty threads, thats ok Im kinda dusty myself :) Just googled my carb # today online and here I am. A beautiful 27731-98 rubbers all soft and smells new. A "take-off" supposedly that really was I think. Has a hand choke a nice little short cable. Intake is a 27023-99 P4. I'm guessing this is a Keihin carb CV model for 1200S. I now know the rebuild kit I believe ... not sure about what Thunderjet/Thunderslide means. Am hoping there wont be any fitting problems using this with 1986 1100 heads and was wondering how to id the XL high flow air cleaner kit for sure, maybe this already has one.

Thanks for dusting off the thread. I knew the CA 1200S had a difference in the carb, but never saw the different part numbers until I just saw Shu's post of Jan 15, 2011. My CA 1200S worked best with a 45 pilot, mixture at 2 3/4 turns, N65C needle and the factory 195 main opened up to a 203. Other Listers on Sportster.org thought I was crazy, but they weren't talking the CA model. Wheelman III (Guy) , in Texas, actually went down on the main jet and we could never figure out why so different.

keithnh
25th February 2013, 23:19
Was glad to find a detailed thread on my carb, will keep this one and update with anything I find. I used to be the q-jet rebuild guy when circle-track racing a bit ago, I would've flipped to have found one in as nice a shape as this one. Hey do you know how to spot the Harley Hi-Flow air cleaner kit? Does one come automatically on an S carb? This is my first build and my only AC so I dont know what the difference is.

sportsterdoc
25th February 2013, 23:29
Was glad to find a detailed thread on my carb, will keep this one and update with anything I find. I used to be the q-jet rebuild guy when circle-track racing a bit ago, I would've flipped to have found one in as nice a shape as this one. Hey do you know how to spot the Harley Hi-Flow air cleaner kit? Does one come automatically on an S carb? This is my first build and my only AC so I dont know what the difference is.

On my 2002, the stock backplate was plastic, which makes it easy to drill several 3/4" holes outside the air filter for better air flow. The Screamin' Eagle SE high flow backplate is metal and gives more exposure to the air filter element. Both use the same ham can.

The stock filter is a paper pleat. The earlier (03 and before) SE high flow filter was a K&N, with reddish oil sprayed on it. The later SE high flow had a paper filter with the longevity of toilet paper.

keithnh
26th February 2013, 00:05
ok ... i see k+n c102a8 ru on the element, it is 1.650 thick and there is no more possible space to be drilled on the flat plastic backing plate as the outside of the filter follows the perimeter of it. Filter is kinda oily like thin fresh (clean)oil and steel mesh pleats dont seem to be too red. I would guess this is a high flow unless there are thicker ones that move the ham can out more. I think its exactly what I want, factory look highest flow. :)

Looking at my HD parts catalog I see the factory backing plate has a wall on the bottom that looks like it would inhibit flow alot, must be to keep rain out or something. Both 86-87 and 88-up have smaller and different shaped elements. 88-up CA has some thing called a REED, looks like its opening into the unfiltered portion of the backing plate ?? Now I get de picture. I do have a high flow backing plate and element :):)