PDA

View Full Version : Rubbermount_EVO When your battery starts to go.....

dino
17th January 2011, 22:06
Ok my bike is a 2006 and has the original battery. I think the battery is starting to go or I need to take everything out and clean and tighten the connections. For you that have had a battery go out, here is the question...
When I first crank it up cold it turns over slowly for the first couple seconds and then kicks in to normal speed and starts. When I've had car batteries go they start out close to full speed and get slower as you crank. It seems weird to me that it cranks faster after the first few seconds. I know the girl don't like the cold but at 50 degrees that shouldn't be a issue.

So is that how your battery started to act before it went out?

Old Goat Ninja
17th January 2011, 22:11
Mine does the same thing.. but she starts so I figure all is good. First crank over or 2 are real sluggish, almost like it wants to die. But every crank over after this is fast and she starts up after a couple when it's cold. Their carb'd so I think it's normal. I had a carb'd sport bike 15 or so years ago, and it did the same thing in the cold. But she fires right up after rest of the day. Just that first one after sitting a day or 2 or 5

dino
17th January 2011, 22:18
I don't remember it always doing it, seems more recent. Could be the combination of it being a little colder and only being rode once a week. Never does it the same day even if it has cooled completely.

dino
17th January 2011, 22:20
I almost don't want to take it apart until I have to because the cover is such a pain in the azz

Old Goat Ninja
17th January 2011, 22:22
I just bought this bike at the end of last summer, so I have no idea if this is normal for cold weather. But like you it only does it that first time. Rest of day it'll fire right up, even after cooling.

I started to get into battery area once, and it was such I pain I stopped lol

dino
17th January 2011, 22:25
so I take it you have the original battery? Maybe someone will pipe in that had to replace one already.

toe
17th January 2011, 22:38
3 things.........

1. I've had that happen with iffy connections.

2. How cold is it?
Batteries have less power when cold. The initial load will warm up the battery, giving it some more power.

3. How cold is it?
With thick oil, it's harder to get things moving, and then it loosens up with a few cranks.

xllent01
17th January 2011, 22:41
My buddys 06 1200c does the exact same thing..hesitates too..till one day it just clicky clicky clicky, but no start cause it progressed to completly dead on a 800 mile road trip we where on..

Old Goat Ninja
17th January 2011, 22:47
Yeah dino, I am assuming it is the original battery. Only had 6,7xx miles on it when I bought it. Still has original tires so guessing battery too.

@ toe I've also heard people say that about loose conections giving these kind of problems...

Xcellent01 It could be that it's time for a battery. I also have an 06, so that's makes mine, dinos, your buddies etc kind of old now. I've never had a sport bike battery last over 5 years, so assuming true would be here too.

xllent01
17th January 2011, 22:53
Yeah dino, I am assuming it is the original battery. Only had 6,7xx miles on it when I bought it. Still has original tires so guessing battery too.

@ toe I've also heard people say that about loose conections giving these kind of problems...

Xcellent01 It could be that it's time for a battery. I also have an 06, so that's makes mine, Dinos, your buddies etc kind of old now. I've never had a sport bike battery last over 5 years, so assuming true would be here too.
Possibly after checking the connections or doing a volt test

My buddy already replaced his up in Roanoke VA on a road trip we where on last year..

My original battery (01) went 6.5 yrs before replacement was needed..going on 4 yrs on the replacement one

unfiguroutable
17th January 2011, 22:55
this will be way easier to trouble shoot now while it still runs on it's own in you garage than on the side of the raod dead. Pull out the multimeter and find the issue. Should take less than an hour to know with near 100% accuarcy what is wrong if anything.

dino
17th January 2011, 23:15
usually 40-50 degrees, run amzoil 20-50. Bike kept in garage

dino
17th January 2011, 23:18
ya un, your right, I was waiting for that response. I just talked to my brother and his dyna does the same thing in the winter

outlawreb
17th January 2011, 23:46
when mine started to go out i was in blountstown fl visiting my son back in early december so my son bought me one from the parts house there and all i done to it was put the acid in it charge it for about 10 hrs put it in and haven't had any trouble

Rock
17th January 2011, 23:57
My 07 1200XLC Custom had the same symptoms in Jan 2010. Started acting up in cold weather with exactly the same symptoms as the OP. Had to replace it.

dino
19th January 2011, 23:04
Have any of you used the scorpian batteries that are advertised here?

xllent01
19th January 2011, 23:09
The stock batteries are the best..specially fitment wise

Bob F
19th January 2011, 23:15
When I first crank it up cold it turns over slowly for the first couple seconds and then kicks in to normal speed and starts.

Something loose!

mycle1000
20th January 2011, 07:23
well, it could be cold weather, weak connections or battery age. it seems that about 5 years is the average life for the sportster battery in rubbermounts. that ain't too bad, really.
if voltmeter shows it to be ok, check connections and put a tender on it on non-riding days. but beware that a new battery is in your future.
the harley battery, at about $100, is the best deal around, imo.

toe
20th January 2011, 07:27
Or get a replacement battery for $15...................

Amazon had my battery for $55.

Free Super Saver Shipping

Sign up for the Amazon Visa card and get a $40 credit on your first purchase on the card

=

$15 replacement battery...

dino
20th January 2011, 20:31
Hey Toe,
What brand of battery is it? How long have you had it? How was the fit?

toe
20th January 2011, 21:08
Hey Toe,
What brand of battery is it? How long have you had it? How was the fit?

UPG UTX20L Adventure Power Power Sport AGM Series Sealed AGM Battery

-1 day (arriving tomorrow)

It better fit, it's the stock size

Amazon.com: UPG UTX20L Adventure Power Power Sport AGM Series Sealed AGM Battery: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31gbmvPCNNL.@@AMEPARAM@@31gbmvPCNNL

dino
22nd January 2011, 00:26
Well I took out the battery today and it was fully charged. I tightened up all the connectors (they were all a little loose) I think that will solve the problem for now but I know these batteries can't last forever.

Bob is the one that really read my original e-mail and nailed it by saying, "somethings loose" Way to go Bob

wedge
22nd January 2011, 00:45
The stock batteries are the best..specially fitment wise
+1 on stock batteries. I bought a Yuasa and the connections suck, so since my original battery checked good on a load test I put it back in and the Yuasa sits on the shelf until I decide to give it to someone or throw it away.

For the OP, the battery is not as much trouble getting at as you may think. Just pull the bottom end of the ground cable off of the case and then when you pull the battery out, the cable comes out with it. That cable sucks by the way... If you get a piece of 2ga. wire from a welding supply, and some 1/4" lugs from Kragens that are for 4 to 6 ga wire, you can still weedle the wire into the lugs and solder them don't crimp them. Use a torch and some resin core solder and do them like soldering pipes. Make it 1.5" longer than stock and turn the ends at 45 degrees to eachother for ease of install before soldering them so that you don't have to twist the cable. Oh, and install the bottom end on the stud on the back of the primary not where the factory has it, that's why 1.5" longer than stock.