PDA

View Full Version : Battery Tender Question

Grim
22nd January 2011, 17:29
So I've been really lazy, and when I put my Iron away for the winter I never took the battery out. It's been a few months now and the battery is probably near dead.

So my question is whether there is a tender out there that I could plug in that would slowly charge up my battery so that it will be good to go come spring? I assumed that tenders only maintained the battery and would not charge it up, I'm looking for something that will get the battery back up to par, and I can leave on for a few months and not have to worry.

Also is there a quick connector on the newer bikes that allow a tender to be plugged in without taking the batter out?

Grim
22nd January 2011, 17:33
Nevermind, I just found the answer I was looking for, Harley's tender does the job.

heytrid
22nd January 2011, 17:35
most dealerships install the plugin on the bike themselves, as far as i know out of the crate they do not have the connecter, that being said if you buy a tender you get that connector and have to remove the battery to install it.

Best advice is to buy a tender, remove battery, charge it properly (no more then 2 amps) and then have it tested to make sure it has the amperage still. since these batteries are not deep cycle they do not take being discharged under 11 volts well and it can affect the life of the battery.

Also Yuasa (and i am sure other make one) have chargers that are designed to charge sulfated batteries (usually beside physical damage this is the issue with battery amperage/voltage issues) and I know most motorcycle shops use these type of battery chargers (at least here in Calgary)

In the end, do you really want to be stuck somewhere on a trip due to a $100-$200 battery?

heytrid
22nd January 2011, 17:37
Also most tenders, including Harley's are under 1 amp, so depending on how discharged the battery is, it may not necessarily bring it back to the point where it is "reliable" for starting.

outlawreb
22nd January 2011, 17:49
their is one at battery tender.com they have several to chose from

harleytech51
22nd January 2011, 17:52
Also most tenders, including Harley's are under 1 amp, so depending on how discharged the battery is, it may not necessarily bring it back to the point where it is "reliable" for starting.

Best bets as already suggested, take battery off and check it, charge up on a good proper charger, fit connector for a tender then when you refit the battery leave the bike plugged into the tender, it will look after the battery for you throughout the time you dont use the bike..Here in the UK theres many tenders available, Optimate seems one of the most popular, a lot of our Harley dealers fit the connector leads to new bikes for the Optimate tender...Both my son and i use these and they do "what it says on the tin"..

HOWNDOG
22nd January 2011, 18:03
I have the 7002 model of these.

http://smartercharger.com/battery-chargers/

It's saved me it's cost in recovering batteries that other chargers could not do anything with anymore.

Some models are available at Canadian Tire and Lordco

I also plug my bike in if I park it for more than week using a Harley charger (dealer installed)
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444184714 7&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302290267&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302290267&bmUID=1295715658120&bmLocale=en_CA

HD

Calvin
22nd January 2011, 18:56
I've used the regular Deltran on my car for years, so I bought a small one for my bike. The quick connect makes it even more convenient. The smaller one is only $25 on Amazon and it works great. Nothing fancy, but it gets the job done.

Bob F
22nd January 2011, 19:13
My setup:

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/Battery_tender.jpg

AsSeenOnTV
22nd January 2011, 20:19
Nevermind, I just found the answer I was looking for, Harley's tender does the job.

You can get the exact same thing for half the price outside of HD, just sayin'

Battery Tender Jr is all you need. But your battery life may have lost some due to it possibly being undercharged for so long.

sportsterpaul
22nd January 2011, 21:30
F.W.I.W., my '06 R came from the factory with a standard S.A.E plug already wired in, I found it when I went to install my Battery Tender lead, it not only works well for that but accepts my electric vest when necessary. I don't know the first year H.D. did this, it was propably earlier on the B.T., but anyone with a '06 or later should look first- you might be surprised. It'll be at the front of the battery ,leftside from sitting on the bike, and will be zip tied to the downtube, it can be pulled out a short distance. Ride safe,it's been real slick around here of late. Oh, and it has it's own little plug cover attached, look real close cause everything around it is black!