PDA

View Full Version : Craigs List and eBay watch

Scooter_Trash
1st November 2007, 20:33
We have so many members on XLF that are always looking in Craig's List or eBay for parts. If they could just keep in mind what some of the parts on these stolen bikes look like, they could contact the owner (not the seller or eBay) to have them attempt to verify that the part may belong to them. The only reason I mention not contacting eBay or the seller is because it may spook the person into removing the auction or ad making it more difficult to locate them. The owner could then contact his local PD about the possible stolen part being on eBay or Craig's List.

Just a thought to hopefully get some of these parts returned to the rightful owner.

Another thing that may help is adding a subscription to the Stolen Bike Forum (http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=288), so that when someone posts a thread about a stolen bike you will be alerted to it faster. This will reduce the chance of missing the thread during your normal forum activities.

Blue Collar Moto
30th July 2009, 20:19
Great idea!

I was at the CHP getting a ticket signed off the other day. I asked the chick if I could bring down some engines I bought on eBay to check the #s. She said I would have to bring the whole bike and it would have to be a part of the DMV registration process for them to even look at it. WTF? I don't want a engine if its been stolen but the cops wont check it out until I build a complete bike around it so they can take a running motorcycle. I guess its easier for them to auction it off that way!

So its up to us to do our own policing of stolen parts since the cops refuse to do there job.

hottnmgirl
30th July 2009, 20:29
Subscription added....great idea!! i do a lot of browsing and shopping on CL for lots of stuff besides bike parts and i can see how it would be easy to part out a bike and get away with it pretty easily unless someone is paying attention as i am sure LE is not monitoring there. It's a great place to find some stuff you can't advertise in the newspaper :censor but also an easy place to get away with stuff....

It does seem crappy that when you try to be proactive the law enforcement folks throw a wrench i it....seems contrary to their supposed mission of "serve and protect".

hnmg

Blue Collar Moto
30th July 2009, 20:39
Ok. Dumb question. How do I subscribe to the thread?

hottnmgirl
30th July 2009, 20:49
Ok. Dumb question. How do I subscribe to the thread?

Just go to the thread itself, and on the upper right hand side just at the top of the thread of posts there is a drop down menu for "thread tools". Click on "subscribe to this thread" and follow the steps...

Blue Collar Moto
30th July 2009, 21:03
Just go to the thread itself, and on the upper right hand side just at the top of the thread of posts there is a drop down menu for "thread tools". Click on "subscribe to this thread" and follow the steps...

Cool, Thanks!

hottnmgirl
3rd August 2009, 19:50
Cool, Thanks!

You're welcome :D

72Iron
3rd August 2009, 20:00
Great idea!

I was at the CHP getting a ticket signed off the other day. I asked the chick if I could bring down some engines I bought on eBay to check the #s. She said I would have to bring the whole bike and it would have to be a part of the DMV registration process for them to even look at it. WTF? I don't want a engine if its been stolen but the cops wont check it out until I build a complete bike around it so they can take a running motorcycle. I guess its easier for them to auction it off that way!

So its up to us to do our own policing of stolen parts since the cops refuse to do there job.

Try your local police, especially if you can find a bored officer out and about, I bet he would run the numbers just for kicks.

If CHP is like most state agencies including the Texas DPS, to get help from them is like pulling a stump from an elephants ass. (diclaimer: Yes this is a generalization, and not every state employee is like that)