PDA

View Full Version : Leave Run Switch On ALWAYS ?

BINGO53
30th January 2011, 20:23
My friend has an '07 883 Sportster and an '07 Dyna. Bought together new from dealer. He claims that a "knowledgeable friend" as well as the dealer salesman recommended he leave the run switch alone......always in the "run" position. Uses only the ignition key switch to shut engine off/on?

The logic being if that switch were to ever go bad, one would spend hours trying to diagnose the no-start condition looking elsewhere. I'm not sold on this, but whenever I take his extra bike out for "exercise" I follow the owners rules. :) (Easier than arguing !) Ive never considered such a practice with the many bikes (metric) I've had in the past, nor with my current 883.

Can anyone of the more experienced and knowledgeable forum contributors weigh in here?

Respectfully,
BINGO53

Rico 05R
30th January 2011, 20:30
While installing a map for the TC88A on a Forum member's bike I couldn't figure out why the computer and bike weren't communicating...you guessed it...he turned his run switch off when he pulled it in my garage. Since I never turn it off on my own sled, it took me a few minutes to figure out what the problem was. :doh

ridinfool
30th January 2011, 20:41
I'm not one of those real "knowledgeable dudes on this subject, but anyone who has any common sense and reads their manual would know that it states you should always use the on-off switch to shut off the engine. How could a salesman or even a wrench-er from a dealership say anything different? I guess opinion over-rules what the factory manual states...:doh

:pgrflag:
:usarmy:
:abr:

fitter_rob
30th January 2011, 20:42
I always used the kill switch instead of the ignition key switch to shut the engine off. I have only ever seen the kill switch go bad on 30 something year old bikes. Mostly cause they were never cycled and froze in the run position.

Rock
30th January 2011, 21:48
To each his own, I guess. I use the kill switch to shut off the engine every time. But.. many years ago I didn't even know what it was (never used it then). Going to work one day in 20 degree temps, with my heavy gloves, I accidentally killed it while pulling into the parking lot. Just about wore my leg out trying to kick start it later during the day until a co-worker came out, flipped the kill switch back to run and it started right away. Since then, I've had the pleasure (once) of returning the favor for a "stranded" friend.

Shaft
30th January 2011, 22:05
I've heard the same thing from a Victory dealer.
His logic was that the key switch does the same thing and has to be cycled, so toggling the redundant kill switch only wears it out.

Now I don't give a damn... I can fix it if it did wear out.

shotgun46
30th January 2011, 22:07
I use the kill switch

Brad
30th January 2011, 22:07
I use the run switch because it's easier for me to reach. I don't buy the don't use it so you don't break it logic. What might make sense is that by using the key, you don't leave the ignition on (which I have done on ocassion)

Crosshairs
30th January 2011, 22:11
I use the key....you can bet your last dollar if the government did not force them to put a kill switch within easy reach in case of emergency, it wouldn't even be there.

freeidaho
30th January 2011, 22:17
The way I learned it, is that if you use the kill switch often, you won't have to fumble around trying to remember where it is in an emergency.

The whole kill switch thing may be a federal mandate, in which case the users manual would have to say to use it.

That said, I use the key.

I put myself through college working as a mechanic in a motorcycle shop. I recall that once or twice a year a bike would be hauled in with the "Won't Start" symptom, and the kill switch set to off. It is an easy fix.

kr

thatbikerguy
30th January 2011, 22:23
I was taught to always use the kill switch. So, that's what I do.

Old Goat Ninja
30th January 2011, 22:28
I use the key always... I've seen a lot of people use the kill switch then totally forget about the key and walk away. So 1) the keys in the ignition and anyone can walk up and ride away and 2) the headlight gets left on and drains the battery.

Key everytime for me. Only time kill switch is used is by accident

sportymike02
30th January 2011, 23:13
I use the key always... I've seen a lot of people use the kill switch then totally forget about the key and walk away. So 1) the keys in the ignition and anyone can walk up and ride away and 2) the headlight gets left on and drains the battery.

Key everytime for me. Only time kill switch is used is by accident

+1 not "a lot of people" but 2 that I can remember

Phillober
30th January 2011, 23:22
Let's not forget what we learned in the safety class

FINE-C

Fuel on
Ignition on
Neutral
Engine kill switch
Choke (if applicable)

I run through this everytime I start, and I use the kill switch to shut it off, it's just easier to flick my thumb than reach down and up to my key

xllent01
30th January 2011, 23:38
Both the key and switch serve the same purpose, the switch is placed on the bar for emergency use,

There is No right or Wrong way..whether you use it to kill the motor is totally up to you..I use both, some times the switch prevents run over on a hot day..and besides you still have to reach down to turn the key off to kill the lights by keying off the main power so you don't drain the battery..the key just skips a step..I see no difference between the two..

sportymike02
30th January 2011, 23:41
Let's not forget what we learned in the safety class

FINE-C

Fuel on
Ignition on
Neutral
Engine kill switch
Choke (if applicable)

I run through this everytime I start, and I use the kill switch to shut it off, it's just easier to flick my thumb than reach down and up to my key

not to get too technical, but don't you have to take the key out anyway? :D

Baphomet
30th January 2011, 23:51
I agree the manual says to use the kill switch in order to establish a habit ... so in my mind that leave the choice up to you.

catpeeler
31st January 2011, 00:02
I always use the key. As stated above, you hafta turn it off anyway.

unfiguroutable
31st January 2011, 00:05
operating the switch keeps it clean.

Phillober
31st January 2011, 00:05
not to get too technical, but don't you have to take the key out anyway? :D

Only if I remember :doh :laugh

Depending on where I park I leave the key in, most of time in my garage I'll leave it in

Was just saying on start up I shouldn't have the problem of forgetting to flip the kill switch

flathead45
31st January 2011, 00:07
I pull my plug wires to shut off my engine....:smoke

no really, is the kill switch in a "standard" position on "ALL" motorcycles??? (I don't have one on my 72) I mean is there a law that says that the switch must be in one certain area of the bike.

I can see the need for a killswitch for dumb ass's who can't ride a bike, (no hate mail, you know who you are) but a smart rider will have a few outs to shut down trouble when it happens.

my trumpit chopper only had a key mounted on a box under the seat next to the chain drive (shut up, I know its a bad location :smoke) and once my throttle cable broke at WOT and I just pulled the plug wires to kill it.... ya it smarts to get 30000 amps of juice up the arm...twice :smoke

but like I said, if I had the button, I coulda just shut her down without the tazer attack

pretjah
31st January 2011, 00:10
i usually kill the bike with the switch...then flick it back on while i'm parking it or loading it in the trailer...then pull the key out.

if the key was in an easier position i'd probably just use the key

Cosmo Kramer
31st January 2011, 00:19
Uses only the ignition key switch to shut engine off/on?

That is what I do. HD owner where I got my sporty said the reason for this is due to kill switch failures that they have seen in the shop....dunno....but I figured that is one less thing that could break if I didn't use it! :D

blkshark
31st January 2011, 00:27
I always use the kill switch as well, though I don't even know why it's necessary. My bike shuts itself off if it's laid down. Don't ask me how I know. :laugh

LuxBlue
31st January 2011, 00:37
My friend has an '07 883 Sportster and an '07 Dyna. Bought together new from dealer. He claims that a "knowledgeable friend" as well as the dealer salesman recommended he leave the run switch alone......always in the "run" position. Uses only the ignition key switch to shut engine off/on?

The logic being if that switch were to ever go bad, one would spend hours trying to diagnose the no-start condition looking elsewhere. I'm not sold on this, but whenever I take his extra bike out for "exercise" I follow the owners rules. :) (Easier than arguing !) Ive never considered such a practice with the many bikes (metric) I've had in the past, nor with my current 883.

Can anyone of the more experienced and knowledgeable forum contributors weigh in here?

Respectfully,
BINGO53

The run/kill switch has the same chance of working/not working as any other switch on your bike. Why single it out? I use mine every time to run/kill my engine...30k miles....no problems.

CowboyVFWRA
31st January 2011, 00:40
I tend to use the key, I only really use the kill switch if I'm parked where the bike will roll, leaving it in first, clutch disengaged, kill switch, let out the clutch so it keeps the bike from rolling while on the jiffy. Parking flat or rear tire to the curb, trans in neutral, left hand shuts off the fuel whilst the right turns the key.:banadanc

Aeris-Logan
31st January 2011, 00:40
Ive always used the key only cause I have to take the key out anyhow. :)

Folkie
31st January 2011, 00:41
My bike shuts itself off if it's laid down. Don't ask me how I know. :laugh
Tip sensor. Not that I'd know. Ahem Ö

Brad
Now I'm afraid that if I use my ignition switch, I may break that too.

Screw it, I'm not using either, just gonna shut off my petcock and let it run dry! :doh

ParrotHead
I use the kill switch. I figure a well used switch is less likely to fail than one which is never used

Rock
31st January 2011, 00:53
Tip sensor. Not that I'd know. Ahem Ö

Well, Folkie... you've done it again. Now I know why my bike shut down when I dropped it (engine running) while parked last summer. Good thing is it fell on a Honda and both me and my buddy went down with our bikes.

But.. I still use my kill switch most of the time to shut down because it's easier to get to.

You don't need 'em but more reps to you for telling me something else I didn't know.

Folkie
31st January 2011, 01:07
Actually it's the bank angle sensor: same thing that's used in the self cancelling turn signals.

CowboyVFWRA
31st January 2011, 01:12
+1 Folkie Bank angle sensor it is.
Will also shut down your bike if you lean too far for too long. Ask me how I know....

flathead45
31st January 2011, 02:38
Now I'm afraid that if I use my ignition switch, I may break that too.

Screw it, I'm not using either, just gonna shut off my petcock and let it run dry! :doh
but brad, then you'll ware out your petcock and it won't work....

alvycolt45
31st January 2011, 03:13
The mini-bike I rode as a kid didn't have keys, just a kill switch.
Gained the habit of using the kill switch.

Then I got a road-legal bike. Used the kill switch and left the headlight on... dead battery.
Changed the habit to using the key.

twotoneXLH883C
31st January 2011, 03:20
I use the kill switch since it's right there, then shut off at key switch. It really doesn't matter what you use either switch CAN fail at any time! I know my key switch failed and had to be replaced just last year.

mea4dxl
31st January 2011, 03:39
That is what I do. HD owner where I got my sporty said the reason for this is due to kill switch failures that they have seen in the shop....dunno....but I figured that is one less thing that could break if I didn't use it! :D

Dont even turn on the bike at all, then nothing will break.:smiliesig:boxing

tjduexjr
31st January 2011, 04:11
On my '05, if I turn on the bike at the key switch with the kill switch in the 'run' position, it puts the bike into diag mode. I don't know that that is necessarily a bad thing and the bike probably drops out of diag mode after a period of time, but I figure I shouldn't always be putting the bike in diag mode when I turn on the key switch. I use the kill switch to stop the bike and leave it in 'off' position until I want to start the bike.

Ryan M
31st January 2011, 04:41
I use the kill switch. My keys always come with me when I park the bike so I never forget to turn off the ignition.

myndset
31st January 2011, 08:33
Kill Switch

d_eggman2
31st January 2011, 12:31
I never use the kill switch, but when I do I forget about it and think WTF?

DF-SLICK
31st January 2011, 16:25
Kill switch, not a problem at all, just train yourself to use it..........

steelworker
31st January 2011, 16:33
I've never been one to routinely use the kill switch on any bike I've ridden; but after reading advice in a similar thread a couple of years back I checked my owner's manual and, sure enough, it says to always use the kill switch to stop the engine.

hmiller
31st January 2011, 16:39
I use it every time. It's just habit now. Pull to a stop, turn it off. Get on the bike, turn it on. It's good to know where it is without thinking about it.

Bone
31st January 2011, 17:13
Kill switch to reinforce good habbits.

Also, as one person was smart enough to point out, depending on the internal switch design NOT using a switch can be problematic, because the are often designed to self-clean through use and not using them can allow corrosion to build up.

Most important thing here is that the Harley world is filled with a bunch of moronic self-proclaimed experts who actually don't know jack shit but constantly try to act as if they do so they seem "cool".

Iman01
31st January 2011, 17:21
The ignition switch went out on my step dad's 99 dresser that was 1-2 years old. He was told that the load from stopping the engine was greater and that the kill switch was higher rated to deal with that load. I've used a kill switch religiously and never had an ignition switch problem on any of my bikes.

xHDrider
31st January 2011, 17:25
I never use the kill switch, except to check it for function once in a blue moon.

on my 1991 I changed the jumper position, on the ignition. down 1st position is off,
2nd position is engine only. 3rd position is lights and ignition.

I turn off my ignition with position 1

Crosshairs
31st January 2011, 17:26
The ignition switch went out on my step dad's 99 dresser that was 1-2 years old. He was told that the load from stopping the engine was greater and that the kill switch was higher rated to deal with that load. I've used a kill switch religiously and never had an ignition switch problem on any of my bikes.

I find it hard to believe that a kill switch would have a higher amp capacity than an ignition switch.... seing as how the ignition swicth does lights and everything else where as the kill switch only does ignition....but what do I know.:)
some of the ignition switch loads do run through a relay, so who knows, maybe the guy was right

mlan12
31st January 2011, 17:45
Motorcycle safety course I took said to use the kill switch so the rider would not have to take hands off of the handlebars. That said I use the ignition switch.

toe
31st January 2011, 20:04
You must use the kill switch.....

because

I Say So

Anaxios
31st January 2011, 21:22
From the wiring diagram in my shop manual, it looks like the kill switch and ign switch are wired in series going into the 'system relay'. If either switch is open, the 'system relay' opens and itís a no-go. Each switch carries a light electrical load; so if anything wears out, it will probably the be mechanical parts.

So may I propose a compromise -- to equalize the wear, on odd numbered days use the kill switch, and on even numbered days use the ign switch. :D

DolderXL
31st January 2011, 21:41
There's a switch? :)

As a kid with my first bike I learned that killing the engine with the key while dismounting was the cool thing to do. I guess I watched too many biker movies. The habit just stuck.

Counter Steer
31st January 2011, 22:45
The main purpose of the kill switch is to be able to cut the engine off if the bike falls over while running. That said, I don't normally use the kill switch when riding.

However I have experience with the kill switch. I was working on an 1976 BMW on a lift table adjusting the carbs while it was running and the pipes melted one of the tie down straps. Bike fell over (lift was down, but still 4" above floor) and gas started pouring out. Hit the kill switch, then picked up bike. Gas everywhere, bent front brake lever, one smarter guy from then on.

My early bikes did not have kill switches. I had a bike years ago in which the kill switch went bad and stranded me until I figured out what was wrong and disconnected it. I use the key to turn off the engine by habit, but I know where the kill switch is should the bike ever fall over again while running.

As a note, in another thread a guy gave me a hard time using two sets of straps now on my lift table. Whenever I am going to start the engine on the lift table, I now use two sets of straps and keep them well away from the headers and exhaust. One drop was enough for me.

CowboyVFWRA
1st February 2011, 00:05
You must use the kill switch.....

because

I Say So

Just for that, I'm not using it ever again. Might even rewire with out one!:smoke:tour