PDA

View Full Version : Drag Pipes

Yanceman
5th February 2011, 04:34
My ride is a 2001 XLH1200 and I want to put on 2 inch diameter drag pipes. I have installed forward controls. My question is do I have to buy pipes designed for a 1200 custom or the standard?

AsSeenOnTV
5th February 2011, 05:01
I believe 1 3/4ths pipes will make your bike run much better for a street bike.

unfiguroutable
5th February 2011, 05:05
1.75 inner and 2.0 outer are the same size..right?

mycle1000
5th February 2011, 05:10
1.75 inner and 2.0 outer are the same size..right?

no. both dimensions are outer.

unfiguroutable
5th February 2011, 05:13
ok then my bike comes stock with 1.75 inch pipes...good to know..though I have already replaced all that

ian03xl
5th February 2011, 06:32
To answer your question it doesn't matter what model sportster as long as the year listed matches the year of your bike. I know some years are different than others but engine size and model make no difference with exception to the xr1200. someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

jharback
5th February 2011, 07:19
To answer your question it doesn't matter what model sportster as long as the year listed matches the year of your bike. I know some years are different than others but engine size and model make no difference with exception to the xr1200. someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, your partly right. As long as the pipes say they will fit with forward controls you'll be good to go. As far as the year goes, pretty much any will fit that are for the years 1986-2003. But as ASONTV says, straight drags at 2" diameter is going to run like crap at low and mid range RPM. Unless your going to run at wide out throttle all the time (the drag strip) your much better off going with another pipe. Drag pipes are for the drag strip.

ian03xl
5th February 2011, 08:17
Well, your partly right. As long as the pipes say they will fit with forward controls you'll be good to go. As far as the year goes, pretty much any will fit that are for the years 1986-2003. But as ASONTV says, straight drags at 2" diameter is going to run like crap at low and mid range RPM. Unless your going to run at wide out throttle all the time (the drag strip) your much better off going with another pipe. Drag pipes are for the drag strip.

You are correct sir I forgot to mention the forwards. And by year I just meant anything newer than 03 will not necessarily fit. I will also testify (as will almost everyone else on this forum) that drag pipes do not perform well on the street and they're only good for making a lot of noise.

mycle1000
6th February 2011, 01:35
noise, obnoxious noise is what some people consider performance.

shotgun46
6th February 2011, 01:44
Here we go again Drag pipes will work and do not have to be loud and obnoxious ! and use the 1.75 pipes and then read this to help tune it properly and I can Provide a Dyno sheet that says you can tune it properly

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/exhaust.htm

nutter
6th February 2011, 01:56
I have the lolipops in mine at the advice of you guys - Works great!

Jay

Tin Man 2
6th February 2011, 02:03
Here we go again Drag pipes will work and do not have to be loud and obnoxious ! and use the 1.75 pipes and then read this to help tune it properly and I can Provide a Dyno sheet that says you can tune it properly

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/exhaust.htm

When someone says Drag Pipes, many of us picture long straight pipes with no baffels,DUH. There is no doubt that Long Straight pipes with no baffels do NOT provide optimun performance on a street bike. Now, if you add baffels or Lolly pops or whatever you can get the bike to perform reasonably well with "Drag Pipe"styling, but the pipes are no longer what is commonly referred to as Drag Pipes, thus the argument lives on. Frankly Im baffled.

shotgun46
6th February 2011, 02:03
I have the lolipops in mine at the advice of you guys - Works great!

Jay

you can also use different washes sizes ( Larger ) to change the sound and performance

shotgun46
6th February 2011, 02:06
the argument lives on that's a different thread :doh :laugh :laugh

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1017885 :laugh

CowboyVFWRA
6th February 2011, 02:13
What flavor lollipops do you use to get the best performance?

nutter
6th February 2011, 14:54
What flavor lollipops do you use to get the best performance?

Butterscoth dum dums :smoke

roryl93
4th March 2011, 18:16
I bought a set of brand new Ultima brand 1.75" drag pipes off eBay not to long ago. Paid $60 for them and they came with all the mounting hardware. They sound great and went on very easily. Running them on my stock '95 883, I don't have to rejet the carburetor or anything, they ran great as is

1BigWilly
4th March 2011, 19:12
Allot of the performance guys are right on with the 2" pipes, and the performance lose on the street, but my buddy just did a set on his ironhead and they sound great and didn't really make a difference in "seat of the pants" performance. Keep in mind he didn't build a race bike. Just a beater...you can make the pipes work without any issues.

jharback
4th March 2011, 19:16
Allot of the performance guys are right on with the 2" pipes, and the performance lose on the street, but my buddy just did a set on his ironhead and they sound great and didn't really make a difference in "seat of the pants" performance. Keep in mind he didn't build a race bike. Just a beater...you can make the pipes work without any issues.

Well ironheads are definitely different than EVO's. Nobody is saying that straight wide open pipes don't work. They do especially, at wide open throttle. But, generally speaking, the larger the diameter, the shorter the pipe, the less restriction, the worse the low and mid range power. They are also much more difficult to get properly tuned. Try and tune a set of short, large diameter, unrestricted pipes on an EVO motor. They're a real bitch.