PDA

View Full Version : Full face helmet reccomendations?

BarAndShield
26th July 2005, 23:01
Back in the day I used a full face helmet exclusively (a Bell M-2 as a matter of fact...). I've since lost (?) that helmet and have been using a 1/2 helmet I got from my brother. I'm looking to go back to a full face for the extra protection, but I've been away from "helmet buying" so long I am hopelessly out of the loop and am not up on the current offerings/quality/price.

Any help out there from you full face helmeteers?

I'm looking for a standard full face (not a flip up), SNELL rated, not too noisey (!) and one that won't break the bank (under $200 or as close to it as possible).

Thanks for the help- :wonderlan

AZFlyingDiver
26th July 2005, 23:05
Check out www.helmetharbor.com
Their phone # is on the web site and if you call - they're REALLY helpful with recommedations for your specific need (and they stock most all major brands so they don't have the usual bias - they just try to match you up with the best helmet). I'm sure they'd help with an e-mail inquiry too. Plus, their prices are good.
Good luck!

carl2124
26th July 2005, 23:07
I love my Scorpion exo-400. The faceshied is fog proof,it has excellent reviews,cost was 140.00.it has plenty of vents,plus its snell rated. it has all the qualities of a shoie

klown
26th July 2005, 23:10
I got a harley independance fullface. About $100 through chicago HD, Snell and DOT approved.

Gone
26th July 2005, 23:10
I have a Snell rated ICON fits me better than any helmet I've worn since 1965.

mordak
26th July 2005, 23:14
Personally I like the ICON flat black helmets. SHOEI also make 'em in flat colors. As far as comfort, I think ARAI is one of the best helmets made but you'll pay BIG BUCKS for one. The ICON's are like $199 at the Stealer but can be had for less online.

mordak
26th July 2005, 23:16
This one is kinda cool too!!! :D An ICON with Skulls on it. :D

Kenny
26th July 2005, 23:19
I'm not sure why you are not interested in the flip-ups (modular helmets) but I'll try to give my insight on these helmets as an alternative. I have a modular and, as far as I'm concerned, they are the greatest thing since sliced bread (couldn't think of a better metaphor). When the visor is down you wouldn't know the difference and when flipped up they offer a great advantage over the regular FF helmets (putting on or adjusting your sunglasses, nose scratch, ordering at the Jack In The Box, etc).

My modular is a HD but I think the HJC's are very similar and may be made by the same company. Just something to consider.

Cost was around $200 and well worth it.

BarAndShield
26th July 2005, 23:30
Thanks guys-
I haven't checked out the Icon yet, but definitely will. I saw a thread on another forum about the Scorpion and it looked interesting as well.

I'd love to be able to afford an Arai; they have a good rep and have been around a long time, but hey- no can do...

As far as the flip ups, I have zero experience with them so I'm a little leery of them. I have a buddy that recently bought one, but he doesn't have much bike time with his yet. He seems to like it though... it just looks so "different" in the up position- kinda freaks me out.

Any other ideas/suggestions? You guys are great!! :)

cantolina
27th July 2005, 00:25
Thanks guys-
I haven't checked out the Icon yet, but definitely will. I saw a thread on another forum about the Scorpion and it looked interesting as well.

I'd love to be able to afford an Arai; they have a good rep and have been around a long time, but hey- no can do...

As far as the flip ups, I have zero experience with them so I'm a little leery of them. I have a buddy that recently bought one, but he doesn't have much bike time with his yet. He seems to like it though... it just looks so "different" in the up position- kinda freaks me out.

Any other ideas/suggestions? You guys are great!! :)

I have a Jafrum flip-up that was VERY cheap...

They're not snell rated, because of the design, but I love mine....don't remember but I think it was like 50-75 on ebay...brand-new...

Wouldn't have another full-face that wasn't this design, myself...

XLFREAK
27th July 2005, 00:29
Make sure it has alot of closable ventilation. You will need it on the hot days and you will want them closed when its cold.

stevo
27th July 2005, 01:13
I had to get a new helmet after I bought the Gixxer thou... as around 130+ mph my head was being blown all over the place in the cheap full face I had...

I did some fairly extensive research and came up with an HJC AC-11 as being the best value for money.

This helmet has closeable venting AND a removable liner (a MUST in the tropics) DOT and Snell 2000
It's the quietest helmet I've ever owned and is also the most comfortable of any helmet I've owned....

Try a few different brands on tho...as different brands and models suit different shaped heads

SamIam
27th July 2005, 01:32
I had to get a new helmet after I bought the Gixxer thou... as around 130+ mph my head was being blown all over the place in the cheap full face I had...

I did some fairly extensive research and came up with an HJC AC-11 as being the best value for money.

This helmet has closeable venting AND a removable liner (a MUST in the tropics) DOT and Snell 2000
It's the quietest helmet I've ever owned and is also the most comfortable of any helmet I've owned....

Try a few different brands on tho...as different brands and models suit different shaped heads

That's good to hear.
I have the HJC AC-14 and love it (not sure the difference ...maybe $$$). Use it all the time in the summer, vents work great. Very comfortable. Can't say I've had a lot of experience, used to never ride with a helmet but now I have a little one I have to be careful

nzsailor
27th July 2005, 02:36
can someone please explain to me how you can greatly reduce peripheral vision damn near eliminate hearing and feel safer

BarAndShield
27th July 2005, 02:55
The full faces I've worn (and the one I owned) had plenty of periphreal vision; pretty easy to check.. and I wear earplugs anyway, so my hearing is already decreased ;)

But I don't worry so much about planting my face when I have one on...

Ventilation is a must; it gets pretty warmish in central GA- we've broken 100 here in town the last 2 days and humidity is about 100% :D

I'm narrowing down with all the great suggestions- I just don't have any place within 100 miles roundtrip to try many on. Plus with my XXL size head the "try on" factor is further reduced :(

cantolina
27th July 2005, 02:58
can someone please explain to me how you can greatly reduce peripheral vision damn near eliminate hearing and feel safer

Proper fitting full face helmets DO NOT reduce peripheral vision- FACT

Hearing in all but the higher frequencies is actually INCREASED in a full face- FACT

A full face will protect your head/face better than any other helmet- FACT

That being said, I cut a Odocoileus virginianus completely in HALF, at 80 MPH, and walked away from it......with a skid-lid on....lol

Don't ask me how...

joe66
27th July 2005, 04:05
Check out www.Motorcycle-Superstores.com they always have helemts on sale. Their stores in town and I bought my GMax and the wifes HJC there. Good prices.

Sourmug
27th July 2005, 04:22
You could also try www.tonker.com . I got my HJC CS-12 there ($90 delivered). HJC makes a quality Snell rated helmet that won't break you. I REALLY liked the AC-11 but ended up with the one I have because my head is more "roundish" as is the shell for the CS-12. The CL-14 is a nice helmet as well. Just my $.02

SamIam
27th July 2005, 04:25
I hear what your saying but damn if the lid does not effect vision (like shades do: I have to turn my head when I have worn shades, and when I get grit and shi :censor (can't say the word :shhhh ) that plenty effects my eye sight. To each his own but I've planted my head on the pavement with a lid on and besides the road burn walked away a little wiser. Some get lucky, some don't. I've known people killed with a helmet on and I have known plenty who left a nasty spot on the road. Some hate them...most of the HD riders in my area do not wear them, most of the 'metric' bikes do. I don't give a sh :censor what other do, it's a free country (sort of :p ) so let your freak flag fly high. We have people ride around in flip-flops and shorts, crazy to me but I'm not their mother. All that matters is you ride safe and live for another day.

XLFREAK
27th July 2005, 04:27
Another thing someone else mentioned. Your best bet is to try the helmets on. Each different companys sizes vary. I have 4 different full face helmets all from different manufacturers. Two of them are large and two are X-large. They all fit the same. Unless you have tryed on a certain brand somewhere else, mail order can be a gamble on size. When wearing a full face helmet it should fit snug to your face. If someone is to grab it by the chin gaurd and jerk it from side to side your head wants to go with it. If the helmet moves and your head doesn't its to big and you will risk the chance of it flying off your head in an accident and its going to do alot of floating around on your head at cruising speeds. You kind of want the padding to seal to your cheeks and give you the chipmonk look a bit. :banawala

Takingabreak
27th July 2005, 05:05
Hi.

Wile I understand the need to keep within a budjet, I would submit to you that your head is worth far more then 200 bucks.

A cheap helmet is fine.....if you never need it to protect you.

Use thei link......

http://www.metricbikes-superstore.com/index.php?cPath=99

This will take you the the best prices I could find for AGV. AGV is an Italan company that make some of the best racing helmets you can get. The One I would suggest is the AGV TV. It can be had for 269.95(A hunderd off the list)at this sight.
I have one, they are very light and comfortable, they are Snell 2000 and DOT, Carbon and Kelvar duel shell composit and the liner is removable and washable.
Best helmet I have ever owned. Now they do have less expencive ones, but there fiberglass, and the lining is not removable. The venting I think is better on the TV, and yes, they make better helmets, the Ti has Titanium in the shell, but that is a bit of overkill, were not racing here.

stevo
27th July 2005, 10:23
AGV's tend to suit box heads.......... SHoei's tend to suit a more pointed head....

Ya gotta try it on first......you're NOT saving money if it doesn't fit properly

GOTWA
27th July 2005, 10:53
Stevo is 100% correct. You have to try it on! Size don't mean squat as the lay of the foam from manufacturer to helmet styles change considerably.

I learned this with my own mellon and most recently this past weekend with the family. Took us an hour of trying on helmets to fit my wife and girls.

But don't get caught up in price. More does not necessarily mean better. Plenty of $500 fail random DOT testing. As a matter of fact, I think Motor Cyclist magazine just did an independent helmet test and found the cheap helmets were just as good as the expensive ones. Obviously, that doesn't mean a skid lid will do what a Shoei full face will but you get the idea.

The key is fitment!

BarAndShield
27th July 2005, 15:57
I hear you guys on the fitment issue.... The only problem is I don't have access to these helmets to try them on first. Small town living is pretty cool except when issues like this arise :(.

ok, I've adjusted my parameters a bit and have now narrowed it down to the AGV and the Shoei RF-1000. I found a pretty good deal on line on the Shoei that puts it right at the cost of the AGV.

My mellon is 24 1/4" around when measured as suggested, and I've been told (by a former employer!) that I have a "long oval" head, though the subtelties of the head shapes is beyond me.

Any input on the Shoei VS the AGV as far as features, weight, head shape, whatever else I've not considered? The prices will be nearly identical....

stevo
27th July 2005, 16:11
long oval would suit a Shoei....

box head or flat forehead suits AGV's

But it's still a bit of a gamble

sunkenloot
27th July 2005, 16:26
I went to multiple places and tried on alot of different helmets. I have a big ass head come to find out. I finally found an HJC cl-14 in an extra large. Still fits great. One day I would like to get a VERY nice helmet but just cant justify getting one without having tried it on first.

cantolina
27th July 2005, 16:49
Hi.

Wile I understand the need to keep within a budjet, I would submit to you that your head is worth far more then 200 bucks.

Of course, you're right, but I would submit that if its DOT approved, it meets the minimum safety requirements AS LONG AS ITS NEW!!!

NEVER buy a used helmet...THAT is the real concern with cheap vs. expensive...

GOTWA
27th July 2005, 22:56
Of course, you're right, but I would submit that if its DOT approved, it meets the minimum safety requirements AS LONG AS ITS NEW!!!

NEVER buy a used helmet...THAT is the real concern with cheap vs. expensive...
You'd be amazed how many "DOT approved" helmets fail DOT testing.

A couple months back I came across a link that if I remember right took me either to DOT or maybe NHTSA and they had files of their random testing. One year there was like 50 NAME BRAND helmets that failed off the shelf random testing.

Just food for thought.

GOTWA
27th July 2005, 22:59
Don't think this is the exact same link I had but it still has some good insight to Pass/Fail.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/comply/fmvss218/

Sportster Girl
27th July 2005, 23:47
You could also try www.tonker.com . I got my HJC CS-12 there ($90 delivered). HJC makes a quality Snell rated helmet that won't break you. I REALLY liked the AC-11 but ended up with the one I have because my head is more "roundish" as is the shell for the CS-12. The CL-14 is a nice helmet as well. Just my $.02

I too have an HJC, the CL-14 Tribe. Got lots of ventilation and it's Snell and DOT. I think it was about 150.00???? off of newenough.com......I really like it.

My husband has an Arai Quantam-f that he got closeout for 199.00. It's super nice!

Gone
28th July 2005, 00:20
The DOT test is actually never tested -- to comply the manufacture says that they are manufactured in a way that DOT approves. The Snell tests are tested to get the approval and tested during the production run.

Snell approval means something DOT dosen't. You can not enter any SCCA competition with out a Snell approval.

GOTWA
28th July 2005, 00:32
The DOT test is actually never tested -- to comply the manufacture says that they are manufactured in a way that DOT approves. The Snell tests are tested to get the approval and tested during the production run.

Snell approval means something DOT dosen't. You can not enter any SCCA competition with out a Snell approval.

yes and no. You are correct that the DOT outlines a set of written standards and that is what the manufacturer goes by. But, NHTSA does random physical testing to help ensure compliance.

As for Snell rating, like I said, I think it was a recent issue of Motor Cyclist that blew the lid off that one. Snell is mucho pissed and so far three helmet manufacturers have dropped their ad endorsements from the magazine. Although not one manufacturer, Snell included, has offered any contradiction to their test results.

In a nut shell, they found that Snell rated helmets are the best helmets for the top 10% of the very worst crashes (where helmet wear can become all but a moot point) but are inferior in the 90% of less severe crashes.

Now all that said, I still believe any helmet is better than no helmet and I'm not ragging on Snell ratings or DOT ratings. I'm just saying, a rating sticker or score or endorsement isn't the end all be all.

BarAndShield
28th July 2005, 00:38
... You can not enter any SCCA competition with out a Snell approval.

Didn't know that.....

I knew the Snell rated ones were actually tested; that's why I want a Snell rated one :).

I have read that some helmets that claim to be Snell rated haven't actually gone through the testing process... :eek:

BarAndShield
28th July 2005, 00:41
... but are inferior in the 90% of less severe crashes.

:eek: :eek: How can that be? Do you remember the maga issue?

stevo
28th July 2005, 00:43
To my knowledge, and I think it may be in that link that Gotwa posted, Snell ones supposed to be tested to get their rating

DOT ones don't have to be...

At the end of the day a top of the line helmet from a known manufacturer is going to give you a damn sight more protection than a do rag...

But a good fitting cheap helmet is probably better than a poor fitting expensive helmet

GOTWA
28th July 2005, 00:50
:eek: :eek: How can that be? Do you remember the maga issue?

I just went to look and it looks like I left them at work. My coworker rides as well and we often leave our mags for each other.

I think it was in the June issue. I'm back to work on Friday so will check then.

I'm not saying a magazine test is a definatative authority. All I was hoping to do was get folks thinking. Just cuz it has a $500 price tag doesn't mean it is the best helmet for you, the individual rider.

cantolina
28th July 2005, 00:51
I truly think this is a bit of a red herring...

A helmet is a helmet is a helmet...some will pass, some won't....what PERCENTAGE of each brand/model will/won't pass? What of QC in each manufacturer...

Surely most popular helmet manufacturers DON'T want to suffer a loss from an inferior helmet...however, manufacturing itself is not an exact science...

I believe its as roll of the dice either way...

As Stevo intoned, the MOST IMPORTANT factor is the fit...

Buying a used helmet is unwise...

Other than that, in the majority of deaths amongst motorcyclists, I daresay that one helmet won't protect someone when another one failed...

If its bad enough to kill me with one helmet on, I'm not sure I want to live with the results of one that doesn't kill me, but DOES leave me a vegetable....

More food for thought....

GOTWA
28th July 2005, 00:52
Here's a link to their website. Didn't read through this but I think it is the same article.

http://motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/hatz/

icebob
28th July 2005, 00:53
Well, I just think that a full face and a harley don't go together, but it's just my own opinion

GOTWA
28th July 2005, 01:04
Other than that, in the majority of deaths amongst motorcyclists, I daresay that one helmet won't protect someone when another one failed...

If its bad enough to kill me with one helmet on, I'm not sure I want to live with the results of one that doesn't kill me, but DOES leave me a vegetable....

More food for thought....

Agreed and well said.

Wasn't trying to stir the pot, just trying to get people thinking. Blind trust in a sticker or a price tag or a brand name is not necessarily the wisest of choices.

As I said before and you reiterated, Stevo nailed it with the fitment issue.

XLFREAK
28th July 2005, 02:16
This should answer any questions you have about the Snell Foundation.
http://www.smf.org/

BarAndShield
28th July 2005, 03:09
Here's a link to their website. Didn't read through this but I think it is the same article.

http://motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/hatz/

:eek:

Wow- good info there!. Very enlightening read....

DM-SC
28th July 2005, 15:02
Thanks! That's a lot of godd information, for sure.

AZbiker
28th July 2005, 21:21
The most important thing is not to buy a plastic helmet. The reason Snell won't certify ANY plastic helmet (even if they pass the tests) is that exposure to UV rays changes the physical properties of the plastic. Sunlight turns it brittle, which can make the shell fail upon impact. Of course, YMMV.

DM-SC
28th July 2005, 21:54
The most important thing is not to buy a plastic helmet. The reason Snell won't certify ANY plastic helmet (even if they pass the tests) is that exposure to UV rays changes the physical properties of the plastic. Sunlight turns it brittle, which can make the shell fail upon impact. Of course, YMMV.

I've read that on this forum and heard that from several people. I can't find any test results to back it up, however...