PDA

View Full Version : Watch out for that wet grass!

debster
30th July 2005, 21:38
Well, I laid the bike down a couple days ago. Totally my fault -- grass was wetter than I thought, and a little too much throttle coming out of the barn. Half way thru the yard the back end slid out fast to the left, and down I went! No harm done; the bike & I were about equally dirty is all. Nothing damaged but my pride!

Couldn't pick it up, either! Tried that technique from an online video of a little tiny woman picking up a big bike where she's got her back to it and using her legs. Well, it probably would've worked on nice dry asphalt, but not on wet grass! Could only get it off the ground about 15" before one of us starting sliding. Had to drive over to my neighbor's house for some muscle and embarrass myself further. :o

The good thing is, now I know a little about what it feels like to go down with it, and that I was able to get away from it and not get a leg stuck or something. I just hope it never happens at a speed higher than "lawn speed"!

Watch out for that wet grass!

Monstermile
30th July 2005, 21:45
I almost did that last week. Was leaving for work and gave it a little too much gas. The rear broke out from under me but I kept it up. I would have been cussing my own stupidity if I had laid it down.

DM-SC
31st July 2005, 01:58
It coulda happened to anybody. Thankfully, you nor the bike have any lasting scars from it! ;)

flskevin
31st July 2005, 02:02
I was riding home and going in to my back yard and when I braked the rear end slid out so I just put a foot down and gunned the throttle and spun the end around to save it. But I burned a nice doughnut in my yard.

GSB_77_XL
31st July 2005, 03:11
ill admit, I did that the day I brought my bike home. Let go of the clutch gave her too much gas, looked down to see why I wasnt moving very fast. The tire was spinning on the grass, it hooked up on the walk way to the shed, and took off like a bat out of hell. Right into the shed took a row of siding off of the bottom. It was either go between the bike and the shed on jump over the bars. I went over the bars. Good thing no one saw it. A buddy asked what happened to the shed, I told him I hit it on the lawnmower. Carefull ever since then.