PDA

View Full Version : Speed cameras

Scrapper
29th March 2011, 18:18
With over $1200 of speeding fines paid in the last 12 months i started thinking about ways to minimize getting caught (yes don't speed ) but other ways i have heard were putting hairspray on your license plate and special crystal impregnated plastic covers for license plates any other suggestions?

SuperTed
29th March 2011, 18:24
Pretty sure that plastic covers are illegal. If a cop spots you with one, they have every right to pull you over and write you up. I've heard of some sort of super reflective spray but I don't recall what it's called. Probably also illegal but harder to spot.

I need to cool it with the speed too. Been noticing lots of un-manned police vans parked around town that record your speed as you come up and snap a photo as you ride by. Luckily I haven't been caught...yet. :smoke

DIESEL
29th March 2011, 18:26
none of that shit works with those cameras. Wear a full face helmet or a bandana and cover your face. Then you can speed all you want.

If they cannot prove you were the driver, you should be fine.

Here, in AZ, when they had them they wouldn't be issued if the face was obstructed.

AB,Frank
29th March 2011, 18:29
This might help. :)

http://www.speedtrap.org/

jharback
29th March 2011, 19:17
With over $1200 of speeding fines paid in the last 12 months i started thinking about ways to minimize getting caught (yes don't speed ) but other ways i have heard were putting hairspray on your license plate and special crystal impregnated plastic covers for license plates any other suggestions?

I recently saw a show where they tested these different ideas. Sprays, plastic covers, etc. None of them worked. It was an American show but for the life of me I can't remember exactly which one. Maybe myth busters?

jharback
29th March 2011, 19:19
none of that shit works with those cameras. Wear a full face helmet or a bandana and cover your face. Then you can speed all you want.

Here, in AZ, when they had them they wouldn't be issued if the face was obstructed.

Here in Italy if you claim you weren't driving your vehicle then you must rat on the person that was. If you don't rat him out, as the owner of the car, your fine is doubled but, you don't receive any points.

Robotech
29th March 2011, 19:29
I recently saw a show where they tested these different ideas. Sprays, plastic covers, etc. None of them worked. It was an American show but for the life of me I can't remember exactly which one. Maybe myth busters?

I believe they did do a show an this and, like you said, nothing worked.

khaskins
29th March 2011, 19:31
It is much easier to avoid the fines by doing the speed limit. Just asking for trouble with Karma trying to find away to break the law. IMO

mtlhed
29th March 2011, 19:42
We had those cameras all over Houston and the surrounding county. Everybody hated them as we knew it was only about revenue and not safety. Well, it went to the vote and now the camera's are torn down or turned off. Now we're back to the normal way to get busted.... The cop has to see you doing it. As far as how to get away with it, I heard about myth busters as well, so I'd just say don't get busted.

Scrapper
29th March 2011, 20:27
It is much easier to avoid the fines by doing the speed limit. Just asking for trouble with Karma trying to find away to break the law. IMO
My problem is the government here in victoria is corrupt and uses speed cameras for revenue raising when they are already taxing the hell out of us for roads , sort of double dipping .
And they do things like on the 20km stretch of road between my house and work they have the speed limit change 17 times!!!!!
I do try to obey the limits but inevitably a small laps in concentration and BAM another $130 dollars thanks for coming.

Folkie
29th March 2011, 20:30
Yeah, just slow down a bit. http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.com/forum/images/smilies/zh_smilies/11.gif

yozer13
29th March 2011, 20:31
flip number plate like on streetfighters?

Scrapper
29th March 2011, 20:36
I have seen those electric license plate flippers on Ebay but the problem is the ones you are not ready for or hidden ones.

xllent01
29th March 2011, 21:12
Stop POSING around urban areas and it wouldn't be an issue!!..:wonderlan :D:rolleyes:;):) :banana

Woodie
30th March 2011, 02:09
It was Mythbusters that tested those myths and that sh#t doesn't work!!

freeidaho
30th March 2011, 02:20
Question,
I thought those speed cameras fingered the offender by license plate number. Since the front of a motorcycle does not have a license plate, at least here in podunk Idaho, how is it done for motorcycles?

kr

towerhandjake
30th March 2011, 02:43
I have a good method for this situation. I have a side-mount license plate and I just casually drift my left foot over the plate. Granted that doesn't help out with surprise cameras, but sometimes I run some red lights (when its safe) and it sure makes life easy going through toll booths.

willypscustoms
30th March 2011, 02:59
Here in tucson az the speed sensors are in the ground so if you ride on line the sensors will not pick you up. I blow through them all the time.

Doc45
30th March 2011, 03:15
Denver has these little vans that they move around to areas they see fit. However they do have to post a large blue sign w/white lettering a good 100 feet in advance. The van has 3 cameras-2 for your approach (1 gets a wide shot of whole vehicle, 2 gets close up of the driver) & 1 when you're in front of the van so they see the rear of the vehicle. I got caught in my car once when they first put them up. They trip at anything 9 mph & up over the posted limit.

The ticket is sent to the registered owner of the vehicle. If you say it's not you, they can't collect- it could be your spouse, child, Jimmy Hoffa, etc. but if it's not you then no worries.

DaytonaSportster
30th March 2011, 04:21
We are getting them installed here in Daytona Beach. Funny thing is the LAW says that a cop must witness a misdemeanor. Well all traffic violations are misdemeanors so I have yet been told that a camera owned and operated by a 3rd party is lawful. Guess it dont matter much as the city is promised its $$$.

Another cool mythbuster episode, exploding hot water heaters and thermite.

aaandht
30th March 2011, 04:54
I have a good method for this situation. I have a side-mount license plate and I just casually drift my left foot over the plate. Granted that doesn't help out with surprise cameras, but sometimes I run some red lights (when its safe) and it sure makes life easy going through toll booths.

With a small motor and a switch you could probably avoid them at the switch of a button. Something I've been toying with doing just for fun(hey I'm a Mech. E major...), but I've heard NJ will really f you up the ass for retractable plates.

wilkin4
30th March 2011, 13:48
Here in South Florida if you get a camera ticket, and you go to court it will be dismissed. One of the local TV stations did a story on it. Seems the county government knows it is not entirely legal to do this, like the officer needing to witness the violation and a clear picture of the face to prove who was driving. They are hoping that most people will pay the fine and not bother going to court. But for now if you go to court it is a guaranteed dismissal.

Wreck
30th March 2011, 15:50
Now we're back to the normal way to get busted.... The cop has to see you doing it.

That's the way it should be, Like hunting. A trail cam will tell you where the deer are but won't put meat in the freezer. "Must be present to win"

rockmanbm
30th March 2011, 16:47
I let me jacket *accidentally* ride low on the sissy bar covering up the plate if I know Im going into a down or state with a speed camera or 2. There arent any in Virginia that I know of.

sportymike02
30th March 2011, 17:38

in NJ, the ticket is issued to the registered owner of the vehichle.
and they will screw with you for a flip up/in plate.
i have reached back & covered the plate with my hand while going thru the ez pass :D

ezmerf
30th March 2011, 23:19
There's app's for UR cell phone that alerts U to where the cameras R @

New Girl
31st March 2011, 03:33
I'm glad you guys are getting the tickets. I've been driving for almost 40 years, and have never even been pulled over--amazing, as I drive faster than most people I know. I guess that's because others are getting them for me! :clap

FiftySixer
31st March 2011, 03:39
I live in Ft. Lauderdale and ALL the intersections around my area have those damn cameras.

They are Flashing constantly. It's like the night sky in Kabul Afghanistan in my neighborhood (around the intersections anyway).

I make sure that the license plate is covered when I wash the bike so I don't accidentally wash away the thick coat of mud on it.

FiftySixer

BullDogChief
31st March 2011, 16:25

Exactly right. Mythbusters proved without a doubt that all the plate covering, masking, or obstructing schemes simply did not work...just curious here but what's the problem with checking your speed and slowing down a bit...most cops I know won't issue a ticket for less than 10mph over the posted limit...