PDA

View Full Version : Ever hit a swarm?

Baphomet
4th April 2011, 14:46
I've been riding for 40 years now and the day before yesterday was the first time I ever hit a swarm of bugs on the highway. I'm buzzing along 1604 here in San Antonio, Texas at 70+ miles an hour and my wife is following close behind me on her Can-am. Out of nowhere, and I really didn't see anything, it felt like someone threw a fountain drink in my face. My face shield just got hit by at least a dozen bugs all at the same time and I couldn't see out of it so I pulled over. Took a rag and wiped a ton of clear bug guts and black particles of wings and legs off the shield. It was gross. The wife pulled in behind me an I thought for sure she had to of hit the same swarm, but she said she didn't see a thing! I guess the little bastards were aiming for me! Thank god I wasn't wearing my 1/2 helmet with goggles like I usually do. :D

There are very few pictures of me out there in the world, and my sister took this picture as we were leaving her house just before the bug incident happened.
http://www.thecopierguru.com/public/lindas.jpg

sportsterdude.248
4th April 2011, 14:59
In the summer time it's a normal occurrence around here. I was riding down the expressway with my friend Bob last summer I had a wind screen he did not and we hit a swarm of nasty green bugs. My wind screen and hands turned green and so did Bob.

Baphomet
4th April 2011, 15:04
... and so did Bob.
:laugh

Dirt Hill
4th April 2011, 15:11
I've been hit by wasps and yellow-jackets so many times that I've actually developed a dangerous allergy. I've been hit between the knuckes, had them go inside my helmet and into my ear, down my shirt and sting my sternum. Last time I got hit in the neck and my whole head swelled.....gotta carry an Epi-Pin with me now when I ride. Damn bugs.

sportymike02
4th April 2011, 15:38
too many to count, learned to ride with my mouth closed at all times

Cherrylady2
4th April 2011, 15:48
You should see what it's like when there is a mayfly hatch down by the river! The pavement gets greasy & very slippery from all the dead mayflies. Even the Dopplar radar picks it up!

Here's a link to last years hatch: http://minnesota.publicradio.org/collections/special/columns/updraft/archive/2010/06/mayfly_hatch_visible_on_dopple.shtml

ParrotHead
4th April 2011, 16:22
A few years ago I was out in Indiana and decided to head to the next town to the north (Franklin I believe) to hit Wally World on a Sunday night because I had forgotten something. I was wearing my 1/2 helmet, clear glasses, and took my windshield off so I could enjoy the fresh air. As I passed from built up areas to farm fields on either side it felt like I was riding in a sand storm. The sand was actually gnats! Anything over 50 mph and they hurt. I had never been to Franklin so I had no idea how much open area I had to ride through. Sad part was thinking that I had to ride back through that! Even with my shirt pulled up over my nose there was still enough bare skin left that it really sucked!

Iman01
4th April 2011, 16:32
That happened a lot when I lived in South Dakota. Now that I think about it I haven't hit a swarm since I moved to San Antonio. I really like it here.

crazyred
4th April 2011, 17:09
You should see what it's like when there is a mayfly hatch down by the river! The pavement gets greasy & very slippery from all the dead mayflies. Even the Dopplar radar picks it up!

Here's a link to last years hatch: http://minnesota.publicradio.org/collections/special/columns/updraft/archive/2010/06/mayfly_hatch_visible_on_dopple.shtml

I hear you on that i hate May fly's . the farmer's around here have bee box's out you can and will ride the big swarm's of bee's. that's why i leave the windsheild on.

LuxBlue
4th April 2011, 17:20
Bridges over water, at night, in summer are the worse! The combination of the warm air around the water and the lights on a bridge attracts swarms of bugs.

I once hit a swarm of may flies at 60 mph going over the Rt. 30 bridge crossing the Susqhuehanna River. I thought someone threw a bucket of sand at me. I was in a half helmet and glasses...that's it! I and my bike were literally covered with dead bodies. I had to pull over to wipe guts off me and my glasses and when I got home I sprayed the bike down with cleaner and let it soak till morning till I washed the bike.....what a PITA!

sololow1200n
4th April 2011, 23:41
hit a swarm of grasshoppers, as well as being all over me they were stuck everywhere on my bike also, mainly in the crevices, and cooling fins. some were actually still alive when i got back.

ntgxlf
5th April 2011, 01:10
It seems it doesn't matter what time of year, you're going to find, er, make that the bugs will find you here in Florida. In the winter, little black flies crossing Alligator Alley. I have had to stop a couple of times to clean my visor and windshield. You can't just wipe them off, you need some kind of cleaner (fast drying guts!). And in summer those damn June bugs, which are bad even in a car. They've been known to plug up a car's radiator and burn up a few engines. Oh and try detailing your car or scoot after a June bug encounter.

Arnie
5th April 2011, 01:20
Back in the 80's with no helmet laws I was tooling down the road at 70 mph. I was hit in the fore head by the biggest bee I've ever seen. Glad I was holding on to the bars tight! The welt on my fore head was enormous :p

LuxBlue
5th April 2011, 01:30
When I had my Yamaha 650 Maxim....25 years ago...I had a yellow jacket fly up my jacket sleeve. Stung me but good till I could pull over and dismount!

That's what I get for riding a Yaymehaha.

Big_Baazzoo
5th April 2011, 04:09
OOOoooohhh! Try Cicadas the size of half dollars!

Oh and there was that bird who kamikaze'd into my face sheild ...

southplatte
7th April 2011, 10:01
A few years ago out on Hwy 96, just west of Ordway, CO I hit about 15 mile stretch of nothing but bugs. It was just dusk and they were out in force. Little black bugs, not sure what they were.

I cleaned my glasses several times. Got home and when I got inside my face was nearly black, my hair had matted with guts, my ears and nose were crusted with them. My face was reddened and a bit swollen from the shear amount and length of time hitting them.

Bike took forever to clean - probably still some remnants somewhere on it.

DaytonaSportster
7th April 2011, 13:25
From a fellow Floridian.
The black bugs that you see every year are called love bugs. Nasty things!! There body fluids when splatter on your ride will actually eat away paint.
Mosquitoes can move in swarms. Bees and hornets can be a real BIG pain for sure.
#1 keep you mouth closed or use a full face helmet
#2 get some HD toothpaste, ya know, bug out!