PDA

View Full Version : The Rip Off of Insurance

philidor1958
5th April 2011, 01:15
I am getting a good deal on insurance with Geico. $156 a year for full coverage. I decided I would get a quote from the Harley site and the provider was Progressive (I sure do love Flo), but I do not love Flo enough to give them $400 a year and not even get a kiss from her. I am always on the look out to save a few $$$. I will be checking All State and State Farm soon and will let you know how good or how bad they are.

Thank goodness I do not have to have Full Coverage, but atleast it is peace of mind. :smoke

Casper
5th April 2011, 01:40
Wow, what we wouldn't do up here to pay $400 for full coverage, let alone $156! For FC, I'm paying around $1500 right now (mine's up for renewal soon, so I'll be shopping). Canada has a lot of things going for it, but insurance isn't one of 'em.

funnythebunny
5th April 2011, 01:47
Ironically, I have Geico for my vehicles, but the quote they gave me for the bikes was astronomical. Flo, on the other hand, has been nice to me :D by giving me the lowest rates (about half of all others, including the little gecko)

MisterPX
5th April 2011, 01:48
The price from major companies probably has more to do with your demographic and history than anyhting else.
For me, Progressive was teh cheapest for FC over the other big companies.

Evil_Seven
5th April 2011, 02:46
$156 a year? What kind of coverage do you have?
Depending on the policy you have, that less expensive policy might not cover everything on your bike. For example the insurance company I work for has a "base" cycle policy that will ONLY cover engine/tins/frame. For example, if you had a BT with bags and ferring that got damaged, they wouldn't be covered under the standard policy. But for a small amount more you can have "Additional Equiptment" endorsement. For my sporty, it's like an extra $4 a month... Well worth it..everything's covered. I pay about $450 a year for 250/500/250 with low deductables, additional equiptment endorsement, and guest passenger endorsement.

I'd check to see what your policy covers.

921200hd
5th April 2011, 03:15
in Alberta Canada i pay 397 PLPD insurance on the sporty and 397 for a roadking PLPD i wish all i had to pay is 156

Ryan M
5th April 2011, 03:17
I only carry liability, and I pay 80 bucks a year through Progressive. For the exact same policy Geico wanted 240. Whoever you chose, it definitely pays to shop around.

Hogwylde
5th April 2011, 03:18
I am getting a good deal on insurance with Geico. $156 a year for full coverage. I decided I would get a quote from the Harley site and the provider was Progressive (I sure do love Flo), but I do not love Flo enough to give them $400 a year and not even get a kiss from her. I am always on the look out to save a few $$$. I will be checking All State and State Farm soon and will let you know how good or how bad they are.

Thank goodness I do not have to have Full Coverage, but atleast it is peace of mind. :smoke

I used to have Commerce and paid $800/yr and then as soon as the state could no longer control the cost of insurance, I dumped them immediately and went to Traveler's at the rate of $320/year. And just this year, I decided to see what Progressive could do for me and I got full coverage for $101/year

:banana <---obligatory dancing banana

Feathers_bangor
5th April 2011, 03:20
Damn I wanna live in america....

Fully comp, $1900 a year....if i was going third party it's still over $1000

flskevin
5th April 2011, 03:27
Last month I got quotes from every major & a few minor insurance companies for my Bike & truck to make sure I was getting the best price.

I have full coverage with Progressive, low deductable, high medical coverage & roadside for $155 a year.

The closest quote I could find was Geico and that was still $50 more and not as much coverage & no roadside & I have my Truck coverage with Geico. SO the commercial about combining policies to save money is crap.

Progressive couldn't beat my Geico Truck coverage.

State Farm, All State and a few others were not even close.

shameless
5th April 2011, 03:27
$128 a year for my 77 through Geico. Progressive was twice that. Ironically, the cages are insured with Progressive because they were cheaper.

GoldfishPimp
5th April 2011, 03:31
Good Lord.... Why is insurance so freakin' high in Canada?
We've got full coverage on the Sportster and two scooters thru Progresive for $340 a year.

spdtrux
5th April 2011, 03:35
FC up to $4000 cost me $154

Progressive in NY

matridge
5th April 2011, 03:39
i had progressive but geico ended up being cheaper this time around. i get at least 3 quotes every time i shop for insurence.

philidor1958
5th April 2011, 04:03
$156 a year? What kind of coverage do you have?
Depending on the policy you have, that less expensive policy might not cover everything on your bike. For example the insurance company I work for has a "base" cycle policy that will ONLY cover engine/tins/frame. For example, if you had a BT with bags and ferring that got damaged, they wouldn't be covered under the standard policy. But for a small amount more you can have "Additional Equiptment" endorsement. For my sporty, it's like an extra $4 a month... Well worth it..everything's covered. I pay about $450 a year for 250/500/250 with low deductables, additional equiptment endorsement, and guest passenger endorsement.

I'd check to see what your policy covers.

Here is my Geico Coverage

Bodily Injury Liability $30,000/$60,000 Non Deductible $22.00

Property Damage Liability $25,000 Non Deductible $15.00

Comprehensive (Other Than Collision) $500 Ded. $29.00

Collision $500 Ded. $89.00

Accessory coverage: $3,000 (Included)

Here is the Progressive quote for $400

Policy coverages

Bodily Injury & Property Damage: $50,000 person/$100,000 accident/$25,000 property damage

Uninsured/ Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury: No coverage

Personal Injury Protection: No coverage

Medical Payments: No coverage

Transport Trailer: No coverage

Vehicle coverages for 2009HARLEY-DAVIDSONXL1200C SPORT

Comprehensive: $500 deductible

Collision: $500 deductible

Disappearing Deductibles: No coverage

Uninsured/ Underinsured Motorist Property Damage: No coverage

Roadside Assistance: Selected

Accessory coverage: $3,000 (Included)

philidor1958
5th April 2011, 04:04
I forgot to mention USAA, they are going to save me $60 every 6 months on my Liability on my car, but I could not find the site for Motorcycle insurance.

mid30
5th April 2011, 04:08
I am with Geico, they were the cheapest when I bought the bike at $170 FC a year. Every year when it is time to renew I get quotes from all the others and gieco still beats all the others.

professir
5th April 2011, 04:19
Canada is high to cover the mandatory million dollar medical per policy. I am an insurance adjuster and I can tell you that each person must compare! Every company sets rates differently, so one can be a great deal for one person but a ton for another. Moral of the story, somebody out there wants your business!

ReddTigger
5th April 2011, 04:57
I had progressive for years. every year the price went up, Yet, I never filed a claim.... Something about a statewide price increase.. I called them up this year as they went over the $500.00 mark....They said that I had the best rates (Car is with them too)...
Called Geico, and Saved $350 over Progressive.. The other's were higher then Progressive.... Just cuz you were cheapest early on.. Doesn't mean it'll stay that way.

Arnie
5th April 2011, 05:07
$1600 here. We have no choice on who insures us. Its government insurance. They hate bikes and charge so less will ride. :censor

philidor1958
5th April 2011, 05:07
I will be checking more tomorrow. My car needs insurance in June and my bike needs it next March. So far USAA is the best car insurance and I will keep checking on the scooter. For those that are unfamilar with USAA it is for active duty soldiers and veterans, the American Legion recommends them. It is a shame I have waited all these years to check them out.

philidor1958
5th April 2011, 05:08
$1600 here. We have no choice on who insures us. Its government insurance. They hate bikes and charge so less will ride. :censor

Where is here?

Arnie
5th April 2011, 05:09
Here is Winnipeg Canada. We get maybe 5 months or riding if the weather gods are nice.

timmartin
5th April 2011, 05:33
I found that Progressive is cheaper than any other insurance for me. I only pay $200 a year for FC on my '02.

GoldfishPimp
5th April 2011, 14:03
I will be checking more tomorrow. My car needs insurance in June and my bike needs it next March. So far USAA is the best car insurance and I will keep checking on the scooter. For those that are unfamilar with USAA it is for active duty soldiers and veterans, the American Legion recommends them. It is a shame I have waited all these years to check them out.

I've had USAA for my cars for over 20 years and on my house for 10... They are the best. Unfortunately, they don't do so good on motorcycles. I check with them every so often and they are about 3 to 4 times higher than progressive.

krowmagnum
5th April 2011, 14:12
Insurance is a scam no matter what the cost IMO.

argentcorvid
5th April 2011, 14:12
USAA doesn't insure motorcycles. They refer you to Progressive.

I'm only paying $110/year for the Sportster, and $120 for the Ulysses through them.

Then again, I live in Iowa; there's not much to run into here.

ParrotHead
5th April 2011, 14:19
Dairyland was the cheapest for me. I am shopping for a second bike and Progressive would have wanted around $1300 for both, Dairyland quoted $600 for both.

When comparing rates you need to be sure the coverage is equivalent. I'd also suggest speaking to an agent and have them explain what each option is and what happens if you don't choose it. For example, if you do not have uninsured/underinsured coverage and someone without insurance hits you, who pays for your bike and your medical bills? If the person who hits you has no insurance they likely have no money. Also, after speaking with an agent I personally would never accept a motorcycle insurance policy that did not have a minimal amount of medical coverage for my passenger and I.

halfdrive
5th April 2011, 14:30
I've had USAA for my cars for over 20 years and on my house for 10... They are the best. Unfortunately, they don't do so good on motorcycles. I check with them every so often and they are about 3 to 4 times higher than progressive.

+1 Cars and house through USAA but had to go with Flo for the bike as Progressive gave me the best price.

I would have went with dairyland but they do not handle insurance in north carolina. When I lived in texas they were the best. (64 dollars a year for liability 10 years ago).

Stairman
5th April 2011, 16:35
Progressive was the best price for me.

sunchild2071
5th April 2011, 16:47
Shorter ridin' season, crazy rates. Yet the policy premium is on a sliding scale that is "carried" over the winter months in recognition that we are not riding. Canadian insurance sucks, as far as rates go. 30 years claim free on bike policies and I'm still at near $800 average for each of my bikes. They don't even recognize that I can't drive all of them at the same time, as they do in an auto policy. Highway robbery.

Unbalanced
5th April 2011, 17:13
I've always had State Farm on my cars and house.

When I bought a bike, Progressive was cheaper than State Farm so I insured the bike with Progressive.

Two years later I bought my Sportster and checked again with State Farm. They were then less than Progressive so I switched.

I think insurers tend to set rates for motorcycles differently, like some just look at displacement, while others look at displacement AND type (cruiser, standard, sportbike), which can make rates vary pretty wildly for the same model, but average rates overall might not be much different.

I pay about $360 a year for mine, and about $50 a year for my wife's Ninja 250. I would have paid $540 and $130, respectively, if I'd stayed with Progressive.

Flame__
5th April 2011, 17:16
I had Progressive, and they pissed me off by raising my rates every year. I called Geico, and they were higher,... until I talked to them about Progressive's rates. Those rates were negotiated down to less than Progressive's prices. Shop around, but also, negotiate!

MacAttack
5th April 2011, 17:25
"Damn I wanna live in america....

Fully comp, $1900 a year....if i was going third party it's still over $1000"

Yeah, just don't get sick. Many folks get decent benefits when they're working, but if you lose your job, it's hard to afford to continue them. You have the right to stay on your former employer's plan for 18 months but you have to pay for it. We get 50% coverage (100% after we spend $2000 per person per year) but for that it would cost me $410 a month single, $800 for a family. My sister's out of work and pays $300 a month for a catastrophic policy.

Oh back to bike insurance - it pays to shop around. I pay $350 a year for two bikes/full coverage with Progressive - but that doesn't mean you will.

philidor1958
5th April 2011, 17:27
Just checked All State.... $100 higher than Geico. I can not believe the differences for the same coverage. Just checked Dairyland.... $95 higher than Geico. My conclusion Geico is the winner in my neck of the woods for Motorcycle, and USAA for car. :)

Flame__
5th April 2011, 17:31
Just checked All State.... $100 higher than Geico. I can not believe the differences for the same coverage.
Did you try to bargain with any of them? Tell them who is offering what, and challenge them to beat the price! that's what I did!

SuperTed
5th April 2011, 17:44
I've had Geico and Allstate. Both were affordable, but they had absolutely horrible customer service when I actually needed their help. I can't stress that enough. Both companies made me want to pull out my hair out of frustration with how stupid and condescending their reps are.

Been with Safeco now for a couple years. I'm spending a little over $200/year and they are very knowledgeable and helpful. My parents have also insured with them for years now and they've also had nothing but good experiences.

Evil_Seven
5th April 2011, 17:45
I see all these numbers that everyone is throwing out there for how much they are paying for their coverage and wonder why people go with the state minimms? Sure 30/60/25 might cover a small accident, but it will not cover more than $30,000 per person.

The reason i bring this up is because my mom was hit on her '92 lowrider on mothersday 1992 by another motorcycle. The drunk asshole only had the Wisconsin state minimums. 25/50/15. My mom lost 4" of bone in her leg, went thru over 20 surguries, bone graphs to try to save it, only to have it amputated 2 years later.

So with the 25/50/15, pretty much the only thing that was covered was the $10,000 flight for life helicopter ride, and the first surgury. Oh, the $15k property damage barely covered her scoot.

The guy filed bankruptcy and washed his hands of his finacial reponsibility.

IMO, as an insurance agent, it's better to pay a few extra bucks a year and have the proper coverage, than to finacially screw someone over if you mess up hurting some one. At a minimum you should have 100/300/100 liability limits, and always have uninsured and underinsured coverage.

Airbozo
5th April 2011, 17:48
I have been with Allied for 18 years. They cover everything but my bike and I go with Farmers on that one. I will check the price, but I think I am paying $225/yr for FC.

No-one else could even come close to the Allied rates since we have been with them so long.

Flame__
5th April 2011, 17:49
Excellent points there, oh Evil one. I mean seven.

philidor1958
5th April 2011, 19:10
Did you try to bargain with any of them? Tell them who is offering what, and challenge them to beat the price! that's what I did!

No need to bargin with them just yet. Car insurance is coming up and another 9 months for scooter insurance. I just like to bundle my insurance so I pay one place for all my coverages, except for house insurance which is in my morgage payments (who handled my hail damage very well). I was lucky with my motorcycle then because the Van took the damage and the scooter had none at all. :)

Weo
5th April 2011, 19:31

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but could someone explain the Canadian insurance thing to me?

1. Does the government offer vehicle insurance or is it private?
2. Why would costs be so high if you already have governmental health insurance?
3. Is it the same with cars?

LuxBlue
5th April 2011, 19:58
I just paid my SafeCo Insurance bill for this year. $312 for FC.

Tyberius
5th April 2011, 20:39
USAA here for cars and house and progressive for the bike. I chose progressive because I could select some things ala carte and not be overinsured and paying for it.

philidor1958
5th April 2011, 21:15
USAA here for cars and house and progressive for the bike. I chose progressive because I could select some things ala carte and not be overinsured and paying for it.

I guess it is more of where you live than anything else. I live in a town of just a few thousand people. I am retired/disabled (or as my kids say retarded), and use my bike for pleasure. I only average 9000 miles a year.

Pony7up
5th April 2011, 21:27
I have Full coverage in the State of Texas and Pay $32 a Month ! I was shocked when they told me !! never had insurance that Cheap :clap:clap

colonelangus
5th April 2011, 22:05
full coverage for my new softail is 1500.00 per year so dont bitch thats full coverage with 43% discount friggen icbc must be run by the mafia

roadie996
5th April 2011, 22:35
I had progressive for my harley and ducati, they wanted $2400/yr full coverage. I called up Riders Insurance and now I'm paying $450/yr for the same full coverage. They are definitely a tad bit ridiculously overpriced.

Unbalanced
5th April 2011, 22:44
I see all these numbers that everyone is throwing out there for how much they are paying for their coverage and wonder why people go with the state minimms? Sure 30/60/25 might cover a small accident, but it will not cover more than $30,000 per person.

Did somebody say something about state minimums or are you assuming that based on low rates? My liability coverage is 250k/500k and I have uninsured and underinsured coverage along with comprehensive/collision and medical, for a total of $1,452/yr for the '08 Sportster, '08 Ninja 250R, '06 Toyota Matrix and '05 Jeep Wrangler.

You're right though, state minimums are ridiculous. I'm not going to risk total financial self-destruction by getting an insurance plan that will max out and leave me with the rest of the bill. I don't know if they've raised them but when I was 16 the minimums in Oklahoma were something stupid like 10k/20k. Might have been reasonable in a 1960's farm town, but not when there's litigious folks in $80k+ vehicles around every corner.

ImAHighSamurai
6th April 2011, 00:36
I had basic insurance through State Farm and it was aprox' $125 a year. Through USAA Flo was nice enough to give me full coverage + i added coverage of up to 2000 in accessories and customization all for $91 a year.

Its all about who you are and how they program their rates to affect you.

philidor1958
6th April 2011, 15:07
Did somebody say something about state minimums or are you assuming that based on low rates? My liability coverage is 250k/500k and I have uninsured and underinsured coverage along with comprehensive/collision and medical, for a total of $1,452/yr for the '08 Sportster, '08 Ninja 250R, '06 Toyota Matrix and '05 Jeep Wrangler.

You're right though, state minimums are ridiculous. I'm not going to risk total financial self-destruction by getting an insurance plan that will max out and leave me with the rest of the bill. I don't know if they've raised them but when I was 16 the minimums in Oklahoma were something stupid like 10k/20k. Might have been reasonable in a 1960's farm town, but not when there's litigious folks in $80k+ vehicles around every corner.

State miniums are fine with me. On my scooter I will be taking the brunt of damage when and if the cage hits me. I'm also retired with Medicare and I use the VA. If I do $30,000 worth of damage to a cage driver I will not have to worry about anything because I will not be around to worry about finances.

Unbalanced
6th April 2011, 15:25
I understand from your side, but that doesn't do much for the cager who would be left with medical and repair bills that your insurance won't pay, which would have to come from your estate.

philidor1958
6th April 2011, 15:34
I understand from your side, but that doesn't do much for the cager who would be left with medical and repair bills that your insurance won't pay, which would have to come from your estate.

I have no estate. I do not have a pot to pi$$ in or a window to thow it out of. When I was working before I was disabled we lived pay check to pay check and that hasn't changed. One can sue someone in the Great State of Texas, but can not take their house, transportation, or tools of their trade. The only people that can garnish wages are the IRS and child support people.