PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Stations with 3 Hoses Per Pump

O.R. John
7th April 2011, 18:03
I used to regularly use a Hess station here in Central NJ that had a dedicated hose and nozzle on each pump for each grade of gasoline they sold. I preferred this kind of setup over the more common single-hose setup. My logic was that if the customer before me bought regular, some of that regular gas would still be in the works when I rolled up to get a couple of gallons of premium. My fuel stops are almost all for less than 3 gallons (I have the stock 3.3 tank), so a pint of regular gas mixed in with 2 or 2.5 gallons of premium would have an effect on the gas my bike is getting.

The great thing about this Hess station was that it was just about a mile from my house. I would fill up on the way home at the end of each ride.

Well, the Hess station suddenly closed. At first I was worried that they closed because of some problem with leaking tanks and/or contaminated gas, but I haven't had any issues with the bike since they closed.

The nearest Hess station with the three nozzle pumps is about 5 miles away. If I use that place, I won't have the tank as full as I used to when I fueled up a mile away. The other choices closer to home are all single nozzle pumps.

So, what do y'all think? Stick with Hess and travel further...or use the closest station with a single nozzle?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

sunchild2071
7th April 2011, 18:06
5 miles away sounds like a good reason to get 5 more miles in on a ride.

pat_tm
7th April 2011, 18:19
I suppose that really all depends on the inner workings of the single style pumps. Is the fuel not pumped out kept in the line or is the line "back purged" somehow to have a clean line for whatever grade is sold next?

aaandht
7th April 2011, 18:25
I used to pump gas at a station with a single hose. Aside from an over filled tank, there is never more than a drop or two in the hose after you stop pumping. If you're that worried, shake the nozzle out before you start pumping.

Most stations, aside from cheap gas, are usually above the posted octane rating(if it says 93 its probably 93.4 or 93.6). Even if there is an ounce or two of 87 in the hose, you're down down to 92.9. Your engine will be fine.:)

sunchild2071
7th April 2011, 18:48
All technical gak noted as such. Unless you don't like riding, I say again that it sounds like 5 more miles in a ride.

Brad
7th April 2011, 18:51
I never worried about the single hose issue. I can't be bothered and I cut it too close to empty sometimes to be picky!

hmiller
7th April 2011, 19:40
Obsess much? I wouldn't worry about the gas in the hose, I think I remember something about the hoses basically empty when you're done and that extra 4 miles is nothing unless your trip takes you to exactly empty.

semjpm
7th April 2011, 19:47
I called Illinois Weights and Measures about his topic. They allow 1/2 gallon of the prior purchase to be pumped (for small hoses 3/4 for larger) and they also allow octane to be +/-3 points from posted. So for a small fill up, say 1 gallon, the worst case is half 84 and half 89 with the best case being half 90 and half 95 octane (assumes 87 regular and 92 high test).

SEMJPM

roadie996
7th April 2011, 20:13
I've never had a issue with single hose pumps in my area, and have never heard of any from others as well.

Wreck
7th April 2011, 20:42
I run the cheap stuff in everything except one car I have that is labeled "premium only". So using the logic of the leftover in the hose adjusting the octane, I have no place to go but up. The cheap stuff is usually the freshest gas that the station has.

Old Goat Ninja
7th April 2011, 20:42
Single hose, I can't even remember the last time I saw a hose for every grade of gas. Never had an issue.

O.R. John
7th April 2011, 23:32
I called Illinois Weights and Measures about his topic. They allow 1/2 gallon of the prior purchase to be pumped (for small hoses 3/4 for larger) and they also allow octane to be +/-3 points from posted. So for a small fill up, say 1 gallon, the worst case is half 84 and half 89 with the best case being half 90 and half 95 octane (assumes 87 regular and 92 high test).

SEMJPM

:eek Wow! They allow up to a half gallon? That's even more than I thought.

In any case, I appreciate everyone's input, and I am glad to hear that so many others have had no issues or problems with this.

And yes, I do obsess. So I'll just move on and find something else to be irrationally concerned with!

Thanks, all!

bombaman
7th April 2011, 23:40
You're worried about nothing...just ride it

O.R. John
7th April 2011, 23:41
You're worried about nothing...just ride it

Yep! Got it.:D

bombaman
7th April 2011, 23:44
I should add that no question is a bad question. I would be more concerned if one of the three was diesel...

xllent01
7th April 2011, 23:47
Holy Noobness..:laugh..No worries, Ride It Like You Stole It!!

O.R. John
7th April 2011, 23:47
I would be more concerned if one of the three was diesel...

Hahahahahaha! Imagine how worked up I would have gotten if I saw that!

dondad
8th April 2011, 04:20
I live almost 10 miles from the closest gas station. I fill up a 5 gallon can when I fill the truck and refill the bike when I get home from a ride. That way, I always leave with a fuel tank.

shameless
8th April 2011, 04:28
I used to regularly use a Hess station here in Central NJ that had a dedicated hose and nozzle on each pump for each grade of gasoline they sold. I preferred this kind of setup over the more common single-hose setup. My logic was that if the customer before me bought regular, some of that regular gas would still be in the works when I rolled up to get a couple of gallons of premium. My fuel stops are almost all for less than 3 gallons (I have the stock 3.3 tank), so a pint of regular gas mixed in with 2 or 2.5 gallons of premium would have an effect on the gas my bike is getting.

The great thing about this Hess station was that it was just about a mile from my house. I would fill up on the way home at the end of each ride.

Well, the Hess station suddenly closed. At first I was worried that they closed because of some problem with leaking tanks and/or contaminated gas, but I haven't had any issues with the bike since they closed.

The nearest Hess station with the three nozzle pumps is about 5 miles away. If I use that place, I won't have the tank as full as I used to when I fueled up a mile away. The other choices closer to home are all single nozzle pumps.

So, what do y'all think? Stick with Hess and travel further...or use the closest station with a single nozzle?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

Really? Are you that concerned with 4 miles? I think you need to go ride more and think less.:doh

poppasmurf15
8th April 2011, 04:40
The funny thing is...between the bottom of the fuel stations gas tank to the top the octane rating can vary +/- 3 octane ratings anyways. Remember, lots of old/new/lower quality/higher quality gas goes in that tank over a number of years. You can NEVER always assume that premium is guaranteed to be 91 octane, the truth is that it rarely is. It can just guarantee that it won't be less than 87-88...

It is still the way to go to get premium because it's minimums are higher overall, but worrying about your octane rating when buying premium is a waste, you're getting over 87 and that's all that matters...

and now I read the thread and it's already posted...lol...sorry for re-stating...

Woodie
8th April 2011, 04:40
And yes, I do obsess. So I'll just move on and find something else to be irrationally concerned with

I use the 3 pump excuse to ride 10 miles to the station to fill up. I have two single pump gas stations within a 1/2 of a mile. Excuse to get a ride in when I get home from work!!:tour

Unbalanced
8th April 2011, 05:24
I don't know where there's a pump with three nozzles around here, but I ride 5 miles farther to get gas with no ethanol.

Gbaggs
8th April 2011, 05:43
How about just get gas when necessary. Get gas after a car that you think would require premium gas. eh??

Durockrolly
8th April 2011, 05:49
The funny thing is...between the bottom of the fuel stations gas tank to the top the octane rating can vary +/- 3 octane ratings anyways. Remember, lots of old/new/lower quality/higher quality gas goes in that tank over a number of years. You can NEVER always assume that premium is guaranteed to be 91 octane, the truth is that it rarely is. It can just guarantee that it won't be less than 87-88...

It is still the way to go to get premium because it's minimums are higher overall, but worrying about your octane rating when buying premium is a waste, you're getting over 87 and that's all that matters...

and now I read the thread and it's already posted...lol...sorry for re-stating...

I've delivered fuel here in California for over 30 years and can tell you if the pump is labeled 91 oct. Premium here in Ca. it can have an octane no lower than 90.7. At 90.6 or lower it must be pumped out or sold as midgrade 89 octane. The samples are collected from various levels of the tank and tested fairly often. Back in the 70's, 80's and early 90's many station owners would order 9000 gallons of regular and pay the drivers to splash over the excess (sometimes up to 4000 gal.) into the mid or premium tanks. That shit don't fly here anymore. The fines can be upwards of $50,000 for the station and criminal charges to the driver as well!

Gbaggs
8th April 2011, 05:56
I've delivered fuel here in California for over 30 years and can tell you if the pump is labeled 91 oct. Premium here in Ca. it can have an octane no lower than 90.7. At 90.6 or lower it must be pumped out or sold as midgrade 89 octane. The samples are collected from various levels of the tank and tested fairly often. Back in the 70's, 80's and early 90's many station owners would order 9000 gallons of regular and pay the drivers to splash over the excess (sometimes up to 4000 gal.) into the mid or premium tanks. That shit don't fly here anymore. The fines can be upwards of $50,000 for the station and criminal charges to the driver as well!

Thats good to know. :clap
Personally I try to stick with Chevron gas or Shell. Always feels like shes runnin primo!

poppasmurf15
8th April 2011, 06:24
Our autotech department at Pittsburg State here did an entire senior project on this subject. Around here, they normally got +/-2 in octane ratings (in all grades). They surmised that this % of error was negligible. Again I state that you engine has no idea what +/-2 is. I wouldn't worry a bit about it.

Ride on...

rockmanbm
8th April 2011, 15:04
The only concern I go for is ethenol free. Luckily there is a station with ethenol free gas less than a mile from my house.

O.R. John
8th April 2011, 20:49
I try to avoid ethanol when I can - not because I worry about the effect on the engine, but because it is just a bad idea. Another form of welfare.

Old Goat Ninja
8th April 2011, 21:01
I'm in Ca, and I dont think there are any stations w/o ethanol... Otherwise I'd make the extra miles to go to one myself...

And kind of off topic, and of no help here, but my brother in law delivered gas for a while, and once one of his co-workers accidently put 91 in an 87 tank locally... He called everyone up and we all went down and bought 87 gas for all our cars to get cheaper higher grade gas lol...

O.R. John
8th April 2011, 21:04
He called everyone up and we all went down and bought 87 gas for all our cars to get cheaper higher grade gas lol...

Great story! I happened to stop at a station when I was on sales calls one day. The station was closing for good as soon as all the gas was gone. They only had premium left, and they were selling it for the price of regular. :wonderlan

Old Goat Ninja
8th April 2011, 21:17
Great story! I happened to stop at a station when I was on sales calls one day. The station was closing for good as soon as all the gas was gone. They only had premium left, and they were selling it for the price of regular. :wonderlan

Nice. When I lived in Fremont (Ca) a few years ago, when gas prices were getting out of control the first time around, there was a gas station that would sell gas for $0.99 for a day or until they ran out. Once every few months they'd do it. I tried to go once, but line was insanely long (all the way down the street) and people were getting real rude cutting each other off, fights breaking out, etc. I know I have too much of a temper to let myself get into a situation like that so I left lol.