PDA

View Full Version : Doorbell help

MusclePump
11th April 2011, 21:24
Hey all, so... who here knows much about doorbells? I thought they were pretty darn simple things until lately!

Mine magically stopped working. I noticed I hadn't heard the UPS guy drop a box one day so I went and looked at the doorbell. Sure enough, the backlight was out and no noise. So I checked the switch; wires tight. Then took the switch off and touched the wires together... still no go.

So I checked the transformer and chime. All strong and tight. So I went to Lowes today and bought a new transformer... STILL doesn't work.

All the power is on (shocked myself a couple times putting the new transformer on :banana ) so... I'm stumped! Any other ideas?

doc
11th April 2011, 21:29
Is the backlight still out? If so, it could have been hooked up to act like a fuse. No light, no ring.

shameless
11th April 2011, 21:31
Well your right, they're simple. So you have a new transformer and power to it as well. Do you have power to the chime? Do you have a rear doorbell and does it work?

floorit
11th April 2011, 21:37
How many wires in the chime? If 4 there is no back door button, if 6 there is. That should be 24v ac. So nearly any meter should work to test with. Check for voltage at the chime from common to the 2 spliced wires. It would be constant 24v. If it is leaving the transformer, but not getting to the chime then I would suspect physical damage to the wire (mice).

hmiller
11th April 2011, 21:41
How about the simple things first....bad button? you can check the voltage at the wires there.

shameless
11th April 2011, 21:51
How about the simple things first....bad button? you can check the voltage at the wires there.

He said he unhooked the wires and touched them together and got no chime. It's not the button.

MusclePump
11th April 2011, 22:10
Is the backlight still out? If so, it could have been hooked up to act like a fuse. No light, no ring.

Yes, backlight still out.

Checked for voltage at the transformer and at the chime, both check out good. If it's physical damage... that sounds like a huge problem to find :doh

shameless
11th April 2011, 22:24
Check the voltage coming out of the chime going to the button. If you have power there then it's going to be in the wires feeding the button.

Old Goat Ninja
11th April 2011, 22:56
lol, doorbells ARE simple, but I too couldn't frickin figure out why mine quite either, drove me insane!!! I finally just installed a wireless one. Works great :D Just remove old doobell button and replace with one in a wireless doorbell kit, and replace doorbell with wireless receiver. Easy as pie. Took all of 10 minutes.

wilkin4
12th April 2011, 00:28
Problem could be the wires, if you have mice or rats in the attic they love chewing on light gauge wire. Some doorbell wire goes through conduit, but a lot don't.

sportymike02
12th April 2011, 00:41
get a knocker :smoke

a45junkie
12th April 2011, 01:03
my favorite way to test a doorbell is to switch the front button wire to the back chime terminal. it will only go dong but it will tell you if your wires are all right.

briskedm
12th April 2011, 02:08
Stuck striker/ solenoid ?

DEEP DIVER
12th April 2011, 22:37
New wiring harness and oil change???
:laugh

Sounds like it's the wires.

pirate50
13th April 2011, 00:09
lol, doorbells ARE simple, but I too couldn't frickin figure out why mine quite either, drove me insane!!! I finally just installed a wireless one. Works great :D Just remove old doobell button and replace with one in a wireless doorbell kit, and replace doorbell with wireless receiver. Easy as pie. Took all of 10 minutes.

Yep, that's the route I took too. It took longer to choose the bell tone than it did to install the wireless kit.

Pirate